HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grachev called up

Old
10-28-2010, 02:33 PM
XLJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersrule1 View Post
Grachev and Stepan please!!!!
Reading Brooks it looks like the 4th line will be Grachev-Stepan-Christensen. I wonder if Torts will use the 4th line more because of no Boogaard.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Reading Brooks it looks like the 4th line will be Grachev-Stepan-Christensen. I wonder if Torts will use the 4th line more because of no Boogaard.
Practice lines today had Frolov with Stepan. Not sure if White's return to the 4th line with Anisimovs return will shake that at all.

You cant count on Brooks for anything.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:28 PM
dccuse

is it possible (i think it is) that grachev is being called up with the hopes of catching a little lightning in a bottle in efforts to SHOWCASE HIM...

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
is it possible (i think it is) that grachev is being called up with the hopes of catching a little lightning in a bottle in efforts to SHOWCASE HIM...

highly doubtful

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:37 PM
dccuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
highly doubtful
grachev doesnt hold nearly as much value within the organization as he didn after his chl breakout year. Not because of his slow start, but rather because of the rapid emergence of kreider, horak, thomas, werek, et. al.

there isnt quite as much of a load on his shoulders to become a consistent producer. However, given his physical prowess and high potential, he could be the object of another team's affection.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Not because of his slow start,
Actually, that has quite a bit to do with it.

Old
10-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
grachev doesnt hold nearly as much value within the organization as he didn after his chl breakout year.
this is exactly why we wont trade him....its likely that not much would be coming back in return and this kid still has a potentially big upside.

i would be really upset if we gave up on him

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:42 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

couple things.

boogaard with the infected hand is addition by subtraction.

im hoping for the best but expecting the worst with grachev. hes going to need to play 100% better than hes been playing recently. this is a huge opportunity for him. if i were he, i would crash the net and use my size down low. alot.

torts the clown doesnt see this himself, and we all know he never plays more than 3 lines, but hes gonna kill the top 9 forwards, just like he did last year. he plays the same 9 guys too much,this results in fatigue and ineffectiveness. he should know this by now. then again, hes not that smart.

this team needs to roll 4 lines at even strength if it hopes to compete while gaby is down. pretty much every night, we will be less talented than our opponent. if we play smart, roll 4 lines, and take fewer penalties, we might hang in. if we play like we played last night, well lose 2 outa every 3 games.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
grachev doesnt hold nearly as much value within the organization as he didn after his chl breakout year. Not because of his slow start, but rather because of the rapid emergence of kreider, horak, thomas, werek, et. al.

there isnt quite as much of a load on his shoulders to become a consistent producer. However, given his physical prowess and high potential, he could be the object of another team's affection.
The "rapid emergence" of guys in the CHL/NCAA doesn't make Grachev any less valuable to the organization. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:02 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The "rapid emergence" of guys in the CHL/NCAA doesn't make Grachev any less valuable to the organization. That makes no sense whatsoever.
yeah it does. Grachev has shown nothing in the AHL. When he was in the CHL he looked like he'd be an impact player in the NHL within a couple of years, but he hasn't even been one at the AHL level. Now we have guys like Kreider looking like they can be impact players in the NHL. That bumps them up a bit over someone like Grachev who's expectations have suddenly diminished compared to what they were a couple years ago.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
couple things.

boogaard with the infected hand is addition by subtraction.

im hoping for the best but expecting the worst with grachev. hes going to need to play 100% better than hes been playing recently. this is a huge opportunity for him. if i were he, i would crash the net and use my size down low. alot.

torts the clown doesnt see this himself, and we all know he never plays more than 3 lines, but hes gonna kill the top 9 forwards, just like he did last year. he plays the same 9 guys too much,this results in fatigue and ineffectiveness. he should know this by now. then again, hes not that smart.

this team needs to roll 4 lines at even strength if it hopes to compete while gaby is down. pretty much every night, we will be less talented than our opponent. if we play smart, roll 4 lines, and take fewer penalties, we might hang in. if we play like we played last night, well lose 2 outa every 3 games.
Out of those "top-9" guys, 6 of them are actually in the top-9 with Drury, Gaborik and Prospal out. He is actually playing his normal top-12 guys due to injuries so he is in fact playing more than his normal "top-9" already and you want him to play his top-15 the same amount as his top-12?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Ever since the redden and naslund signings i have hated this statement.

Good players play well wherever they are.
Jagrs last few years in washington vs his years in new york? Rozsival? I know he's our new whipping boy but he's significantly different then in pittsburgh. I'm sure I could think of more if that's not enough. Pa parenteau. Different team, had plenty of oppertunities with the rangers esp last year down the stretch, doing well for the islanders.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

Kreider hasn't proven anything yet either. Most of his hype comes from scouts estimated transition and growth into the NHL game, rather than his performance.

Old
10-28-2010, 04:07 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Out of those "top-9" guys, 6 of them are actually in the top-9 with Drury, Gaborik and Prospal out. He is actually playing his normal top-12 guys due to injuries so he is in fact playing more than his normal "top-9" already and you want him to play his top-15 the same amount as his top-12?
say what ?

when you look at any given 12 forwards that dress, torts just needs to play all 4 lines at even strength when he can. thats all im saying.

not having boogaard makes that easier to do, and with all the injuries, we end up with one 2nd line and three 3rd lines, so theres no reason not to play them all.

in some strange way, this may actually help us.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

It does. Its the equivalent of a penalty kill whenever Boogaard in on the ice.

Old
10-28-2010, 04:09 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Where are the inevitable "showcasing" posts?

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
yeah it does. Grachev has shown nothing in the AHL. When he was in the CHL he looked like he'd be an impact player in the NHL within a couple of years, but he hasn't even been one at the AHL level. Now we have guys like Kreider looking like they can be impact players in the NHL. That bumps them up a bit over someone like Grachev who's expectations have suddenly diminished compared to what they were a couple years ago.

Grachev was viewed to have a future in the NHL based on his CHL performance. Now he has struggled in the in the AHL, and is subsequently less valuable than guys... who are tearing up the CHL? Sounds like shiny new toy syndrome to me. Professional sports organizations tend to avoid this kind of mentality, and that's a good thing.

Guy isn't tearing up a professional league by the age of 20, so he's bumped down the depth chart by a bunch of kids in Canadian Juniors and a kid who hasn't registered a point at BC this year. Makes sense.

Last edited by Trxjw: 10-28-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old
10-28-2010, 04:10 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
say what ?

when you look at any given 12 forwards that dress, torts just needs to play all 4 lines at even strength when he can. thats all im saying.

not having boogaard makes that easier to do, and with all the injuries, we end up with one 2nd line and three 3rd lines, so theres no reason not to play them all.

in some strange way, this may actually help us.
All I meant by it was that it is tough to do that when your old top-12 has become your new top-9 and those last 3 players probably shouldnt be playing. Injuries have caused 3 players who normally wouldnt even be dressed to play some important minutes. Thats all.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:13 PM
The Mouth

I think this a good chance to prove my theory that this kid is absolutely miserable in Hartford (at least last year)

Also, He was pressured by his agent to turn pro and I feel it was a setback for him.

But on the other hand EG made no case for himself this preseason by just looking plain unmotivated to make the big club.

He needs to keep his legs moving and get involved, I think the fourth line makes a lot of sense, plus it's frankly where he should be.

I hope we dont see Glidechev, but rather The Russian Rifleman !

I am sure we will talk more about tonight on the radio show, which btw starts at 8 Pm

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:14 PM
CH2

Quote:
Grachev was viewed to have a future in the NHL based on his CHL performance. Now he has struggled in the in the AHL, and is subsequently less valuable than guys... who are tearing up the CHL? Sounds like shiny new toy syndrome to me. Professional sports organizations tend to avoid this kind of mentality, and that's a good thing.

Guy isn't tearing up a professional league by the age of 20, so he's bumped down the depth chart by a bunch of kids in Canadian Juniors. Makes sense.
Didn't Gordie Clark say during last year's camp that Grachev's big season hadn't shown them anything new or change expectations, he was just further along than they thought?

And, I remember Clark also saying he thought Grachev wouldn't be ready for a full-time NHL until 2011. Maybe his call-up will show that.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:15 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Kreider hasn't proven anything yet either. Most of his hype comes from scouts estimated transition and growth into the NHL game, rather than his performance.
I would say his performance in the WJC is taken into account, as well as his post WJC collegiate performance.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:15 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

Guy isn't tearing up a professional league by the age of 20, so he's bumped down the depth chart by a bunch of kids in Canadian Juniors. Makes sense.
I wouldn't say a bunch of kids, maybe one (Kreider), but yes, it's possible I'd think.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:16 PM
terrrrrible

If the BAR line wasn't our best line right now, I'd say run frolov/anisimov/grachev just for kicks.

terrrrrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Due to the prospect hype machine, the notion of a Stepan-Grachev combination at the NHL level sounds a lot sweeter than what the actual results will yield.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Didn't Gordie Clark say during last year's camp that Grachev's big season hadn't shown them anything new or change expectations, he was just further along than they thought?

And, I remember Clark also saying he thought Grachev wouldn't be ready for a full-time NHL until 2011. Maybe his call-up will show that.
They knew what they were getting with Grachev. He's a big kid with good wheels and an excellent shot. He needs time to learn how to play the pro game, and really should have spent another season in Brampton, IMO. He's never played against men for an extended period prior to last season, so there's definitely going to be a learning curve.

This is an important season for Grachev's development, but I think he's struggling to find his role in Hartford. I don't think the Rangers are showcasing him, I think they're trying to boost his confidence.