HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grachev called up

Old
10-28-2010, 03:23 PM
TomLaidlaw

vCash: 500
So we need a guy from Hartford to come up and play a regular shift on the 4th line and we call up Grachev instead of Byers? Does that make sense to anyone? Is Byers hurt? Hasn't he been playing well this year so far in Hartford. Wouldn't Byers be better suited to play a shift on the 4th line than Grachev? Is this a waiver issue? Wouldn't Newbury be a better alternative to call up as well?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The "rapid emergence" of guys in the CHL/NCAA doesn't make Grachev any less valuable to the organization. That makes no sense whatsoever.
I think it has to do with and I could be wrong since I don't follow the chl closely at all but hasn't he not produced as well since he was not longer playing with tavares and duchence? It could just mean he's a like and I'm not saying he will have any where near the career heatley has had but heatley is known for being a finisher. When heatley was thought to be traded to the rangers there was worry that he wouldn't do as well without playing with a guy like spezza in atlanta or thornton. Lack of true playmaker could be a huge part of it and could be the reason he did well in traverse city playing with stepan who has slowed down a great deal but still shows exemplary play making skills. I have a feeling grachev will do really well and stay for good.

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 10-28-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
They knew what they were getting with Grachev. He's a big kid with good wheels and an excellent shot. He needs time to learn how to play the pro game, and really should have spent another season in Brampton, IMO. He's never played against men for an extended period prior to last season, so there's definitely going to be a learning curve.

This is an important season for Grachev's development, but I think he's struggling to find his role in Hartford. I don't think the Rangers are showcasing him, I think they're trying to boost his confidence.
Couldnt agree more, which only highlights Tom's concern up above - why are we bringing this kid up to the NHL to replace a 4th liner?

I mean, in the first place, its quite obvious Grachev isnt NHL ready - hell, hes barely AHL ready - he needs to be playing big minutes and developing his game.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Couldnt agree more, which only highlights Tom's concern up above - why are we bringing this kid up to the NHL to replace a 4th liner?

I mean, in the first place, its quite obvious Grachev isnt NHL ready - hell, hes barely AHL ready - he needs to be playing big minutes and developing his game.
He hasn't been playing well for the Whalepack, maybe a 4th line role, teaching him to use his body isn't the worst thing for him.

At least he gets paid at the NHL level and has a reason to try to stay there.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:32 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

A couple of games in the NHL won't keep him from developing with big minutes in all the other games in the ahl.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Raged0107

I'll be interested to see Grachev playing, especially with Stepan given the history there. I think Avery and Stepan have developed a good chem as well so perhaps the line can be finnagled (spelling?) to have Grachev and Avery winging Stepan all together.

Raged0107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Pizza

I don't understand why he is being recalled, but if he gets any ice time he better keep his skates moving.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:37 PM
dccuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
yeah it does. Grachev has shown nothing in the AHL. When he was in the CHL he looked like he'd be an impact player in the NHL within a couple of years, but he hasn't even been one at the AHL level. Now we have guys like Kreider looking like they can be impact players in the NHL. That bumps them up a bit over someone like Grachev who's expectations have suddenly diminished compared to what they were a couple years ago.

People on this board love to speak in absolutes. perhaps thats the reason so many of the posts are argumentative, since when you speak in absolutes you're instantly disuqalifying every non-agreeing persons' thoughts.

TRJXW - youre a board moderator. Congratulations. That doesnt make you the "say-all, end-all" in evaluative skills. If you were you would be employed in a capacity that precluded having time to be a board moderator.

Dubisnacks - thank you.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Giacomin

Lets see how he does with the Big Boys.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:52 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersrule1 View Post
Grachev and Stepan please!!!!
With Grachev on LW. He loved playing with Stepan in prospect Camp. This may be Ginos' time. Go for it.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
I think it has to do with and I could be wrong since I don't follow the chl closely at all but hasn't he not produced as well since he was not longer playing with tavares and duchence? It could just mean he's a like and I'm not saying he will have any where near the career heatley has had but heatley is known for being a finisher. When heatley was thought to be traded to the rangers there was worry that he wouldn't do as well without playing with a guy like spezza in atlanta or thornton. Lack of true playmaker could be a huge part of it and could be the reason he did well in traverse city playing with stepan who has slowed down a great deal but still shows exemplary play making skills. I have a feeling grachev will do really well and stay for good.
He never played with Tavares. He played with Duchene and I think Cody Hodgson, but I may be wrong. And although I'm sure that helped him, if you watch his goals and assists from the 40/40 season, he was doing things that we just haven't seen on a consistent basis in Hartford. He was driving the net. He was rushing the puck with insane speed up the wing. He was plowing through guys and he was shooting the puck every chance he got. He was all over the place. He was unstoppable. He looks like a totally different player now. His confidence is not what it was on Brampton, for whatever combination of reasons. He's still only 20-21, so I still have high hopes for him to regain that confidence as he continues to adjust to a bigger, faster game.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:54 PM
NickPerriNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
maybe Frolov-Stepan-Grachev? didn't Grachev play RW with Stepan at Traverse? with Bourque on the LW
That could turn out to be a dominant line IMO.

NickPerriNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 03:55 PM
NickPerriNYR

I think Grachev plays even if Boogey is healthy. No reason to call him up just to send him down right away.

Old
10-28-2010, 03:58 PM
squishy

So we take a rookie that's struggling in the NHL, and a sophomore that's struggling in the AHL, and put them together and expect "dominance" in the NHL simply because they played well against rookies, juniors and AHL try-outs in Traverse City and development camp?

Nope, no unrealistic expectations here.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Well, if he's up, play him. Don't put him in a position to fail. Put him with Christensen and Frolov and move Prust back to the 4th line.

Dubinsky. Anisimov? Callahan
Grachev. Christensen. Frolov
Avery. Stepan. Fedotenko
White. Boyle. Prust

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Well, if he's up, play him. Don't put him in a position to fail. Put him with Christensen and Frolov and move Prust back to the 4th line.

Dubinsky. Anisimov? Callahan
Grachev. Christensen. Frolov
Avery. Stepan. Fedotenko
White. Boyle. Prust
I like it, but I wouldn't play Christensen with Grachev. I know Stepan has some good chemistry with his current line, but maybe the past chemistry between Stepan and Grachev could give Grachev some confidence.

Brendan Shanahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:36 PM
NJrocket24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
He never played with Tavares. He played with Duchene and I think Cody Hodgson, but I may be wrong. And although I'm sure that helped him, if you watch his goals and assists from the 40/40 season, he was doing things that we just haven't seen on a consistent basis in Hartford. He was driving the net. He was rushing the puck with insane speed up the wing. He was plowing through guys and he was shooting the puck every chance he got. He was all over the place. He was unstoppable. He looks like a totally different player now. His confidence is not what it was on Brampton, for whatever combination of reasons. He's still only 20-21, so I still have high hopes for him to regain that confidence as he continues to adjust to a bigger, faster game.
Call me crazy but these two facts may be related. I don't think confidence has anything to do with it. I think he's now playing against bigger stronger competition and his performance is lacking because he is just not a blue chip talent. I think he'll be a servicable NHLer eventually, not the 40-30-70 outside shot at 45-50 goals player people
were projecting based on his Brampton stats.

Plenty of people have put up bigger numbers in junior leagues and have amounted to nothing or marginal play. 40-40-80 isn't that great. Fwiw, Ryan Callahan had a 52 goal season in the OHL.

NJrocket24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Apparently Boogaard can't grip his stick. He'll probly play since that won't affect his game all that much.

Gross says Torts is gonna go with Gilroy-Eminger again.
Sauer should just not even show up with the team and ask the Rangers to send him or trade him. how does it feel to be a rookie and get scratched because of overpaid bums

if anyone thinks Grachev is called up for Boogaard they are mistaken. they would have called up Byers or Soryal for Boogaard

i bet Anisimov is out. does anyone know the info on Anisimov???

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 05:15 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
Ever since the redden and naslund signings i have hated this statement.

Good players play well wherever they are.
Very biased statement -Hello Ville Lieno and many others....

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 05:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
People on this board love to speak in absolutes. perhaps thats the reason so many of the posts are argumentative, since when you speak in absolutes you're instantly disqualifying every non-agreeing persons' thoughts.
You're certainly right about that.... People also like to categorize/label everything in extremes, there's no middle ground anywhere.... A player's performance on any given night was either GREAT or BAD. A prospect is either TERRIFIC or a BUST.... Makes for easy arguments online....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJrocket24 View Post
Call me crazy but these two facts may be related. I don't think confidence has anything to do with it. I think he's now playing against bigger stronger competition and his performance is lacking because he is just not a blue chip talent. I think he'll be a servicable NHLer eventually, not the 40-30-70 outside shot at 45-50 goals player people
were projecting based on his Brampton stats.

Plenty of people have put up bigger numbers in junior leagues and have amounted to nothing or marginal play. 40-40-80 isn't that great. Fwiw, Ryan Callahan had a 52 goal season in the OHL.
Hmmm, didn't think of it like that, but you make a good point. I still see a lot of potential with Grachev. For a guy with his size, he's got great hands and he isn't afraid to engage physically. I'm not exactly sure what kind of NHLer he projects to be yet. If he develops the way I think and hope, I see him being an Antropov type player but faster. I'd be very happy with that. I want to see him find a way to use his shot more, because he has a great release and a very accurate wrist-shot. It takes time. He's a 20 year old playing against men mostly older than him. I still have confidence that he'll be more than just a 3rd liner in the NHL.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Hockey2000nyr

It's already been stated that anisimov is playing fine and that he will be playing tomorrow night. The only reason i can think about them calling up Grachev instead of any of the other players was maybe Tortorella wasn't impressed at all with Williams, Torts coached Byers for a few games last year and maybe he wasnt given a great impression either. The only other players that might have warranted a call-up before Grachev would be Kennedy(has to go through re-entry waivers), Weise (he is currently injured) and MZA (still getting used to NA hockey). If anything this might give Grachev a shot in the arm, a little taste of the NHL life and drives him to get there. It's like showing a graduating high school student the life of being in college, and then telling the kid that if he works hard enough he can live there.... time will tell but dont over analyze the move, Grachev will probably be sent back down by the weekend.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 05:25 PM
NickPerriNYR

Regarding Grachev trade talk, I would not trade him unless we must. In other words, unless the Rangers must add him in a package for a really good player like Brad Richards, then there is no reason to trade the kid. I think a small reason for his slow start is the fact that he is not playing with Stepan. Remember how well he did during the TC Tourney? He was playing on a line with Stepan. A future line of Kreider-Stepan-Grachev will look amazing, esp. if it follows a line of Dubi-AA-Cally, which follows a line with Gaborik and whoever else the Rangers acquire to play with Gaby on it. This team can be pretty dominant in a couple of seasons if the Rangers can find a top-line center to play with Gaby. That would set up three awesome lines.

Old
10-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
It's already been stated that anisimov is playing fine and that he will be playing tomorrow night. The only reason i can think about them calling up Grachev instead of any of the other players was maybe Tortorella wasn't impressed at all with Williams, Torts coached Byers for a few games last year and maybe he wasnt given a great impression either. The only other players that might have warranted a call-up before Grachev would be Kennedy(has to go through re-entry waivers), Weise (he is currently injured) and MZA (still getting used to NA hockey). If anything this might give Grachev a shot in the arm, a little taste of the NHL life and drives him to get there. It's like showing a graduating high school student the life of being in college, and then telling the kid that if he works hard enough he can live there.... time will tell but dont over analyze the move, Grachev will probably be sent back down by the weekend.
Grachev has already experienced the life as an NHL'r during pre-season the last 2 years. he already knows what it entails.He just needs to get his butt in gear and start showing it. From the reports I've been reading... he's pulling the Houdini act on most nights.

Blazephr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:28 PM
bscharf

call me a pessimist but ive seen grachev play multiple times and im not that excited about this call up.

I personally dont think hes close to nhl ready this year from what i saw in the preseason.

which is fine. hes so young.

but with weise injured MZA adjusting to the game and kennedy waiver issue its the only move to make.

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote