HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

As of today ....

Old
11-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Flyguys22

vCash: 500
As of today ....

As of today, which Flyer are you most impressed by thus far, as well as the player your most disappointed in...

Personally...

Most Impressive: Claude Giroux / Bobrovsky
Disappointment: JVR

Flyguys22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:52 AM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

best: giroux, briere, and bob.
hon m: Hartnell, leino, mez, sean "don't call me john LeClair" O'Donnell.
worst: jvr,carter.

Last edited by flyersjamminontheone: 11-02-2010 at 10:01 AM.
flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:54 AM
G28

Yah I'd say the same thing man

Impress : Giroux/Bobrovsky
not Impress : JVR

I thought JVR would take a step forward this year since he said he worked on getting bigger and faster all summer long. season is still early but a stint to the Phantoms until Christmas wouldn't hurt him.

G28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:13 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Giroux, Briere, Leino

Bob, Carter, and Mesz have been great too.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:16 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Giroux/Briere

Most dissapointed in Carcillo. I really was hoping he would be a solid player this season. Wasn't expecting him to "breakout" so to speak, but I really thought he would turn into a real solid every day player.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:25 AM
phillyflu

Definitely Giroux/Bobrovsky have been the most impressive.

Most disappointed is by far JVR. Worst team in Flyers history, and Chicago gets Kane and we get JVR. When you're the 2nd overall pick, expectations are way higher than being drafted 22nd like Giroux.

I'm disappointed he hasn't done anything to live up to those expectations yet, but not everyone jumps into this league and is a star right away, some players take a while to develop, some take less. I'm willing to give him a few more years to see what happens before I jump all over the kid.

The only thing I really want to see is steady improvement from year to year.

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I need more from JVR. There was a negative percent chance Andreas Nodl would have 2 (more) goals while JVR had 0 in 7 less games.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
best: giroux, briere, and bob.
hon m: Hartnell, leino, mez, sean "don't call me john LeClair" O'Donnell.
worst: jvr,carter.
He's on pace for 75 pts, and leading the team in ES scoring. Perhaps "worst" is the wrong category for him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I need more from JVR. There was a negative percent chance Andreas Nodl would have 2 (more) goals while JVR had 0 in 7 less games.
JVR is doing a lot of good, but he needs to move from staying on the perimeter making stuff happening, to getting the puck into the middle of the ice.

And the only reason Nodl has one of those goals is because JVR set him up with a beautiful feed.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:46 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He's on pace for 75 pts, and leading the team in ES scoring. Perhaps "worst" is the wrong category for him?

JVR is doing a lot of good, but he needs to move from staying on the perimeter making stuff happening, to getting the puck into the middle of the ice.

And the only reason Nodl has one of those goals is because JVR set him up with a beautiful feed.
Dead on. The guy's skating his balls off, but he's staying to the outside or behind the net and not getting to those dirty, high-traffic areas. They'll come for him, but he could make it easier on himself by getting in there. He's a big enough guy, he'll be fine.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:48 AM
lumm0x

Most impressive to me has been Giroux. He is taking the steps forward that everyone has predicted.

Least impressive has been Carcillo. The guy has the skill and speed to be a steady contributor in more than just a 4th line middleweight or pest role. Heck, he's not even excelling in the role of an energy player right now. He's lost in our depth and likely needs a change of scenery as we have enough additional toughness from other guys. He has the ability to play 2nd or 3rd line wing and be more than he is. It's a shame he's regressing.

I give JVR a pass. People expect too much of young players. I can live with him fumbing through his growing pains on a deep roster that we have and I'll be more judgemental in a couple years.

lumm0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Naw its a personal choice and i guess he's just not living up to my expectations (lofty as they may be). He's picking up points lately but i have him in my head as a world crusher waiting to happen.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 11-02-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Fixed the quoted material
flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:27 AM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
most impressive- Bobrovsky/Giroux/Meszaros
disappointment- Zherdev/Carcillo
Meszaros really is earning his 4 mil cap hit imo...he's looked like a number 1 defenseman this season and really(sadly) makes Timmonen a trade candidate next off season.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:36 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

I'm surprised people are disappointed with JVR, he's looked good in almost all of the games so far, he just hasn't been able to pick up points.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:39 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Impressed: Bob, Giroux, and Hartnell (in comparison to last year)
Son, you are disappoint: Zherdev

Honorable mention for impressed to Emery. I thought his career was over, and he's impressed me by potentially making a full recovery.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 11-02-2010 at 12:04 PM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:40 AM
PhillyFlying

last i checked, flyers are in first place and look mighty good, and JVR is a big piece of that. he's solid on the forecheck and he wins most of his battles along the boards. so he's not putting up the points...give it time, it'll come.

you should redirect your frustration at zherdev, who was brought here specifically to fill the void left by gagne, aka point production.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I'm surprised people are disappointed with JVR, he's looked good in almost all of the games so far, he just hasn't been able to pick up points.
JVR needs to be more assertive in getting to the middle of the ice... I saw him doing that more in the preseason, but right now he's working the cycle rather well, but never getting the puck to the front of the net. He's made some VERY nice passes that led to goals (I can think of two off the top of my head that were beautiful plays), but we need him using his size, speed, and skill to get the puck into the slot and bury some chances.

Old
11-02-2010, 11:47 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Most impressed:
Bob for sure. Roo 2nd and probably Nodl 3rd. Nodl and Wellwood were 2 prospects I wasn't in the least excited about (Nodl for his inability to score and Wellwood because I thought he was overhyped from playing on possibly the best junior team ever. He also seemed like a bit of a spoiled brat at times.). I must say that I'm getting ready to eat crow on both but the jury is still out. Even if Wellwood doesn't play another game this year he has still surpassed what I expected out of him in his first pro year away from Hall.

Least impressive for me would Zherdev. JVR is a kid and will take time, but Z isn't and he needs to stop giving up on plays. I don't expect as much out of Carcillo as many of you do. He is what he is. What can you do?

The team overall has played pretty much as I expected them to but those are guys who stand out.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:50 AM
PhillyFlying

i forgot to add...

most impressed: defense as a whole, particularly the new guys. mez and o'd have been fantastic as a third pairing and it's nice to have a young guy like bart who can step in and play 5 or 6. homer deserves props for that, if nothing else.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:52 AM
DrHamburg

It is kinda hard to do this considering how streaky the team is. They Started off very good, then were bad, and now very good again. I tend to look how players are playing instead of using stats considering how much of a team game this is. As a new football head coach would say "stats are for losers".
Anyway, the guys who have been better than expected giroux, briere, meszaros, leino, hartnell, bobrovsky. All those guys have been far better than expected and I think are a big reason why the Flyers are tops in this early season.

The worse than expected have been Zherdev and Shelley. I knew Shelley wasn't going to be that great, but he has been completely worthless. He loses fights and takes dumb penalties. that is pretty bad considering he only plays 5 minutes a game. Also, with the streakyness, I though Richards didn't look all that well, but the past 5/6 games or so he has really stepped up. I dont think there has been too much bad considering they are in first and bad games happen and sometimes the other team really comes out to play

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
It is kinda hard to do this considering how streaky the team is. They Started off very good, then were bad, and now very good again. I tend to look how players are playing instead of using stats considering how much of a team game this is. As a new football head coach would say "stats are for losers".
Anyway, the guys who have been better than expected giroux, briere, meszaros, leino, hartnell, bobrovsky. All those guys have been far better than expected and I think are a big reason why the Flyers are tops in this early season.

The worse than expected have been Zherdev and Shelley. I knew Shelley wasn't going to be that great, but he has been completely worthless. He loses fights and takes dumb penalties. that is pretty bad considering he only plays 5 minutes a game. Also, with the streakyness, I though Richards didn't look all that well, but the past 5/6 games or so he has really stepped up. I dont think there has been too much bad considering they are in first and bad games happen and sometimes the other team really comes out to play
We need Richards to be better at ES going forward... some of that is the problems with his line, but we need improvement there.

Old
11-02-2010, 12:03 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
We need Richards to be better at ES going forward... some of that is the problems with his line, but we need improvement there.
Agreed totally.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Impressed by: Meszaros, Coburn, and Carle.

With the way Lightning made it sound, Meszaros was going to be Krajicek 2.0.

I wonder how many of them are going to come apologize to me and humble themselves after Meszaros became one of our better defensemen when the pressure was taken off his shoulders.

Coburn has gotten much better from this point last season. It's almost scary. He's continuing where he left off in the playoffs.

Carle, in the absence of Pronger, definitely stepped it up early. He's made some great plays lately as well; defensive plays.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:15 PM
G28

The disappointment so far this year has to be JVR.
The way he said he worked hard to bulk up and work on his speed this off season.
I think Flyers should send him down to AHL until Christmas give him a 10-15 game stint with the Phantoms to get his confidence back up and get his scoring touch back. it would help him big time.
College to NHL is a much bigger step than CHL to NHL in my mind

Old
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
G28

most impress : bob & Giroux
disappointed : JVR, Zerdhev

Old
11-02-2010, 12:27 PM
McNasty

Impressed: Carle, Meszaros, Giroux
Disappointed: Richards, JVR, Zherdev

Richards has blown at least 5 odd man rushes trying to do that stupid curl, drag, and waaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt move. I liked him a lot better when he would just snap it high glove. JVR as others have mentioned, the strength is evident but he needs to use it to get his nose dirty a bit more. Zherdev I figured 20 goals would be pretty easy for him, but he has to want it and right now he looks like he's going through the motions out there until he gets the puck on his stick.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote