HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gameday workout and recovery

Old
10-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Razzmatazz

vCash: 500
Gameday workout and recovery

Is there a good workout routine (or bad workouts) that one can do on the day of a game?

And what sort of measures should you take to recover and be ready for your game?

Razzmatazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Grinder89

Bad- watching a lot of TV or computer day of game (strain on eyes), eating big and heavy meals within 3 hours of game time, a strenous workout game day.

Good - light work out day of game to loosen up the muscles. A light cardio workout, followed by stretching. If your going to lift use lighter weights and focus one endurance training. Also you should start hydrating at leasy 8 or ten hours before game time by drinking lots of water and gatorade (stay away from sugary juices and pop)

Grinder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:08 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I dont really work out, but I hear that bicycle is an easy way to get your muscles in your legs loose and raise your heartrate up as well.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:52 PM
trtaylor

No workout on game day. Just something to get loose, prior to game. Dynamic stretching is all you need.

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Gino 14

How old are you, what's your level of fitness, your level of play, what do you do all day? You need to look at a bunch of stuff to figure what might work best for you.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The guy who made those vids (Bret Henning) has a great book about game prep.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 11:03 AM
densetsu

I try to time it so that my workout routine has me doing an upper body workout on a game day -- arms, chest, shoulders, back. Or I'll do some light cardio, like a casual bike ride or an outdoor skate. If the game is in the evening and I have the day off, I might do some more intense cardio in the morning/afternoon, but still try not to break the anaerobic threshold (HR at/over 80% of your HRmax).

On the same day, avoid any resistance training that targets your legs or core. Try and avoid anaerobic cardio like HIIT unless you have at least 8 - 10 hours before a game. I find that both these kind of workouts sap the strength right out of me.

This speaking as a beer-league goalie who works M-F 9am-5pm, and has most of his games weekday evenings. Hockey isn't my life and livelihood -- I train to be an all-around athlete, not a pro goalie -- but I'd still rather win a game than follow my workout schedule verbatim.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 12:02 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I do 7 minutes on the bike, 20-45 minutes of weights before games. I stick to heavy weight, low reps like when I normally work out (explosive muscle with quicker recovery times) with very little rest between sets (no more than 2, will stop if I feel fatigue setting in). Driving to the gym I drink low calorie gatorade mixed with Twin Labs Endurance Fuel (basic 4/1 protein/carb mix and GNC NO Explode). At 37 I need to wake my mind and muscles, they just don't do it with light weights and playing without supplements leads to very sore days after games. Takes me about 30 minutes to drive to the rink, eat a banana and drink an 8oz sugar free red bull. This is what works for me although you have to factor in my age, my job is physical (FedEx) so I am always in a state of recovery and that I've been lifting weights routinely for about the last 10 years and have been playing hockey for 17 years. When it comes to hockey and routines I'd suggest trying a few and find out what works best for you.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote