HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamrlik answer to Power Play ?

Old
10-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Habblues

vCash: 500
Hamrlik answer to Power Play ?

Last sat night Hamrlik jumped out of the penality box and almost scored. He has been pretty good around the net when he gets chance.. Why not put that big body in front of the net to screen the shots from the point ? The main reason the Habs can`t score on the PP is because every goalie is seeing EVERY shot......i think it`s worth a try. What do you guys think ?

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:07 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
Last sat night Hamrlik jumped out of the penality box and almost scored. He has been pretty good around the net when he gets chance.. Why not put that big body in front of the net to screen the shots from the point ? The main reason the Habs can`t score on the PP is because every goalie is seeing EVERY shot......i think it`s worth a try. What do you guys think ?
A for effort on thinking Hamrlik, but im willing to bet our pp will improve with markov coming back soon, I believe that the success of our pp depends on puck movement and shots. I remember saku koivu screening goalies and he is not big.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Quote:
That's an interesting idea for sure. Worth a try.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:11 PM

The answer to the PP, is simple.

Andrei Markov...

Don't listen to McGuire spread panic about the Habs PP being last and how they can't survive without it being in the top 5. When Markov comes back, he'll give the Habs that final touch they've been missing on the PP.

Personally, I think the puck movement has been as crisp as ever on the PP...it's just the Habs are missing that final pass that Markov usually provides which makes the difference. No one freezes opposing goalies like Markov does

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:11 PM
BLONG7

Not a bad idea...not necessarily Hammer, but anyone with size, the B's do it with Chara when they are not clicking....if Markov comes back, and we still can't score, then someone has to be put there until we get some kind of rythm going...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:16 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I think the answer is definitely Markov. But if the PP continues to struggle because nobody will go there I'd definitely give Hamrlik a shot there and tell him not to move until the Habs' score. He's never been immune to going to the net. Maybe it would give Gomez something to shoot for since Gomer banked one in off of Hamrlik last year.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
The answer to the PP, is simple.

Andrei Markov...

Don't listen to McGuire spread panic about the Habs PP being last and how they can't survive without it being in the top 5. When Markov comes back, he'll give the Habs that final touch they've been missing on the PP.

Personally, I think the puck movement has been as crisp as ever on the PP...it's just the Habs are missing that final pass that Markov usually provides which makes the difference. No one freezes opposing goalies like Markov does
Agreed. Plus, Montreal hasn't had a big bodied presence in years and it certainly hasn't hurt their PP in the past. All we need is Markov to control the play and make room for Cammy and Subban all we'll be fine.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Hermamoud

Why not use Gill instead of Hamrlik to screen the opposing goalies?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

When the only player who was consistently trying to screen the goalie was your 5'7" guy, it would have been surprising if you had much success on the PP; especially, with a PP that seems to rely so much on a shot from the point.

Gill for screening the goalie on the second wave is worth a try.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Bullsmith

No, Pouliot or Eller before Hamr in front of the net. Markov's the answer to the PP. Spacek should maybe play the L side second unit with Gorges, otherwise Hamr's probably on the 2nd unit at the point, not in front of the net.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Pascal

In front of the net i'd rather have a forward or Gill. On the point Hamrlik's shot is terrible and he can't keep the line for the life of him.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 03:54 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
Why not use Gill instead of Hamrlik to screen the opposing goalies?
D you think a 2 minutes penalty is long enough for him to get to the opposing goalie?

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
D you think a 2 minutes penalty is long enough for him to get to the opposing goalie?
Exactly,I think Hammer is a better skater........But I`m not in any panic in regards to the power play. Last year we couldn`t score 5 on 5,and that concerned me A LOT. We will be fine when Markov comes back(I realize that) but I`d still like to see Hammer there regardless.

Old
10-29-2010, 09:33 PM
CHill Seeker

the OP seems to have forgotten all the giveaways, breakaways allowed, pucks bouncing over his stick, bad passes, slow reactions that plagued roman in last year's playoffs. so the answer is: No

CHill Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
the OP seems to have forgotten all the giveaways, breakaways allowed, pucks bouncing over his stick, bad passes, slow reactions that plagued roman in last year's playoffs. so the answer is: No
That was last year man........How many players have changed since last year ? Exactly, too many to list........Hammer is one of those players

Old
10-29-2010, 10:48 PM
CHill Seeker

Quote:
That was last year man........How many players have changed since last year ? Exactly, too many to list........Hammer is one of those players
i repeat: he's not the answer. our pp relies on puck movement as no one likes to screen. roman doesn't move the puck with any kind of speed anymore and he's not a shooter

CHill Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Habblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysonlu View Post
When the only player who was consistently trying to screen the goalie was your 5'7" guy, it would have been surprising if you had much success on the PP; especially, with a PP that seems to rely so much on a shot from the point.

Gill for screening the goalie on the second wave is worth a try.
I`m concerned he will take a puck off his ankle and be out hurt.....5 on 3 he is some kinda valuable to have on the ice.He sometimes makes it seem like 5 on 4.

Old
11-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Toro

Hammer with a back door PP goal.

He has been pretty solid this year so far.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 02:53 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Hammer with a back door PP goal.

He has been pretty solid this year so far.
Nice shot by hammer on the pp goal, but I dont think he is the answer.

You dont see the habs peircing the box with with cross ice passes anymore. Kovalev and markov made cross ice passes through the box like it was nothing, and you combine that with the big shot presence on the back end with Souray/Streit.... it was just a nightmare for the goalie.

Last season, the PP changed a bit with a new coaching staff and kovalev gone. Markov also missed a large chunk of the year. There was less creativity but you still had that booming presence in mab. The trick with mab wasn't just the velocity, but the got his shot off very quickly. This is something PK Subban can work on. The contribution by metro on the pp also cant be ignored.

Anyways, I trust markov has the creativity and vision to make this cast work, but until he rounds into form himself, its difficult to determine how this PP will fare in the long run

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:13 AM
habtastic

The answer to the PP is Cammy being Cammy of last year. He's already lost his swagger. If/Once he gets it back, that cross crease pass is going to the back of the net. Our pp unit is too good not to be able to score. This is underachieving at it's best.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 07:58 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Was Hamrlik's goal a set play???

Hamrlik isn't the answer or at least shouldn't be but he keeps things pretty simple when he's at the left point. Is it a coincidence he's registered points on all of the powerplay goals? And generally speaking he's on the second wave.

The first wave seems to be concentrating on the perfect set up. Markov will start to make it click I'm sure.

Watching Hamrlik's goal is interesting. If Cammalleri shoots and misses to the right that rebound is golden as it was. That wasn't a set play was it because Hamrlik seemed to be on the prowl? If it wasn't a set play then it's something to take a serious look at for the future.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Sorry, but that's a horrible idea, if we need a big guy to bang in rebounds Darche is proven in taht aspect. Plus, we need Hamrlik on the point and not banged up, we need him healthy for his 22-23 minutes a night as #2 d-man, not banged up with shots off the ankles and cross checks to the back and neck.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Teufelsdreck

I wouldn't call Hamrlik an "answer." He's scored a few of those opportunistic goals before but he's not as fast in moving up as he used to be. As for stationing him in front of the crease, I don't think he has the hands for it. Besides, he's needed for playing the point on the second PP unit. The Habs don't have many Dmen who could handle that responsibility after Markov nad Subban go back to the bench.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

It's pretty obvious why the PP isn't working. Gio, Gomez and Cammy are all having slumps. Pleks is the only one producing out of our big 4. How are we supposed to produce when 3 of our 4 best players from last season are in slumps?

Once they wake up, so will the PP. Markov and Subban are more than capable on the backend. Wait for cammy to get one of his streaks again. It should revive the PP

Big bodies were never a problem in the past few years when our PP was like 1st, 1st, 5th and 2nd or wtv lol

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
It's pretty obvious why the PP isn't working. Gio, Gomez and Cammy are all having slumps. Pleks is the only one producing out of our big 4. How are we supposed to produce when 3 of our 4 best players from last season are in slumps?

Once they wake up, so will the PP. Markov and Subban are more than capable on the backend. Wait for cammy to get one of his streaks again. It should revive the PP

Big bodies were never a problem in the past few years when our PP was like 1st, 1st, 1st, 5th and 2nd or wtv lol
I agree, for the most part the puck movement and chances have been there, just lacking finish. Last night Vancouver brought a lot of puck pressure and we didn't respond well to it.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote