HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playing Monday Morning Quarterback with Tortorella

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Leetch

vCash: 500
Playing Monday Morning Quarterback with Tortorella

I'm no fan of Glen Sather, but I feel he's getting unfairly criticized for losing Tortorella to Tampa Bay. What exactly did Tortorella do in his time with the Rangers to deserve consideration for the head coaching job? He was an assistant and interim head coach for a bad team. Before that, he was an assistant with Phoenix and Buffalo. Head Coaching wise, he had only had success once- guiding the Rochester Americans to the Calder Cup Championship in 1995-1996. Unlike Ryan McGill, Tortorella hadn't showed enough to be merited an interview. If you guys remember, he didn't even get the Lightning Head Coaching job right away. He was hired as an assistant because of his NHL experience and when Steve Ludzik got fired, he became coach. It won't be the worst thing in the world if we hire Coach Q over Ryan McGill. Ryan McGill is no sure bet and Quenneville isn't Ron Low. While I know every great coach in the NHL today had to get their chance one day as unknowns like Ryan McGill and Tortorella, Quenneville has had prior success as a Head Coach and is less risky then McGill. Either one will be fine, but we need to stop bringing up Tortorella.

Old
06-12-2004, 10:25 AM
in the hall

agreed

i don't remember anyong going insane when he left, or hoping for him to be named head coach

Old
06-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Dantes19

Good post. Seems like a lot of the recent longing for Tortorella falls into the category of "hindsight is 20/20".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch
I'm no fan of Glen Sather, but I feel he's getting unfairly criticized for losing Tortorella to Tampa Bay. What exactly did Tortorella do in his time with the Rangers to deserve consideration for the head coaching job? He was an assistant and interim head coach for a bad team. Before that, he was an assistant with Phoenix and Buffalo. Head Coaching wise, he had only had success once- guiding the Rochester Americans to the Calder Cup Championship in 1995-1996. Unlike Ryan McGill, Tortorella hadn't showed enough to be merited an interview. If you guys remember, he didn't even get the Lightning Head Coaching job right away. He was hired as an assistant because of his NHL experience and when Steve Ludzik got fired, he became coach. It won't be the worst thing in the world if we hire Coach Q over Ryan McGill. Ryan McGill is no sure bet and Quenneville isn't Ron Low. While I know every great coach in the NHL today had to get their chance one day as unknowns like Ryan McGill and Tortorella, Quenneville has had prior success as a Head Coach and is less risky then McGill. Either one will be fine, but we need to stop bringing up Tortorella.

Old
06-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I remember him being regarded as one of the best assistants in the league and a soon-to-be head coach. As I recall, the disappointment at the time was not that he wasn't chosen by Sather, but that he wasn't even given a look-in for the job.

One thing to note, though, is that Tortorella would likely not have done a good job as Rangers head coach. With the Rangers bringing back Messier and stocking up on UFAs again, he would have trod on far too many egos, and then ultimately, it would have been him, not the players who would have paid the price. I think it was a good thing for him that he ended up in Tampa, where he could mould a team to his liking.

Old
06-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Edge

I dont think Sather should get flack for Torts, but I do expect him to learn from the mistakes.

Full me once shame on you, full me twice and I must work for the NY Rangers.

Old
06-12-2004, 08:54 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I dont think Sather should get flack for Torts, but I do expect him to learn from the mistakes.

Full me once shame on you, full me twice and I must work for the NY Rangers.
so true, you'd think he and dolan have learnt from the ppast 4-7 years of repeated mistakes but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. At least unlike the Isles, when we trade talent it doesn't become dominate superstars

Old
06-13-2004, 09:41 AM
Fletch

Sather took over an organization whose house...

needed a complete overhaul and a cleaning, and that includes coaches. Unfortunately, Torts was part of the Smith regime and noone would've expected him to stay on. It's hard to keep people when something's not working...

Old
06-13-2004, 10:07 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
needed a complete overhaul and a cleaning, and that includes coaches. Unfortunately, Torts was part of the Smith regime and noone would've expected him to stay on. It's hard to keep people when something's not working...
The organization may have needed an overhaul, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everything needs to go. Sather didn't completely overturn the roster overnight because there were players that were part of the problem and players that were just put in a bad situation. The same holds true for the rest of the organization. Just because a staff member was a part of the Smith regime does not mean that they are worthless to the organization. I think Tortorella got pushed out by Sather's cronyism (he was replaced by the brain trust of Low, Kyle, and Green) more than anything.

And for what it's worth, I remember Carpiniello writing about how Tortorella would be a very good head coach in the near future some time before Smith and Muckler were canned. And he was thought of highly enough to land a head coaching spot in the first place, so it's not as if no one expected Tortorella to become anything in the NHL.

Old
06-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Fletch

That's what so often happens, though...

you bring in a new head honcho and he brings in his people to help run the show.

Old
06-13-2004, 12:52 PM
NYR469

the most ironic thing about sather letting tortorella go (without even interviewing him) is that tb more or less plays the style that sather wants to play and claimed the rangers were going to play under low, trottier and himself...

so while there is no guarantee that torts would have been successful here, seeing what he has done in tb it seems that in hindsight he would have been the perfect coach for the type of team sather wanted...

also just to note, if we are going to see that sather should learn from this mistake, that would lead me to the conclusion that ryan mcgill would be the guy that should be picked since he is most closely similar to where tortorella was 4 years ago

Closed Thread