HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Bobrovsky be Reassigned to AHL on Leighton's Return?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-03-2010, 03:12 PM
  #126
Start Leighton*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
So what happens when Leighton goes to the AHL for conditioning and sucks does he just stay there?

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:14 PM
  #127
bungle
Casual Observer
 
bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 500
Bob is decent enough right now, and with the right coaching might end up being awesome. Leighton (when healthy) and Boucher are decent enough right now, and will most likely never be anything more. Seems like simple logic to keep Bob where he is.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:38 PM
  #128
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
How many pages?

Should Bobrovsky be reasigned in favor of WHO?





Better question are... do you think Boucher will be picked up if we waive him? What about Leighton?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:46 PM
  #129
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 6,031
vCash: 500
If he is playing well I don't think you send him down. The most important thing for Bobrovsky is playing time, so if they plan on starting Leighton for the majority of the season then you send Bob down and let him face the shooting gallery he will in Adirondack and when teams start 5 hole sniping Leighton from center ice you call him back up.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:49 PM
  #130
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,771
vCash: 633
If he gets sent down, I stop watching until one of the other two AHL goalies gets waived.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:41 PM
  #131
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
If he is playing well I don't think you send him down. The most important thing for Bobrovsky is playing time, so if they plan on starting Leighton for the majority of the season then you send Bob down and let him face the shooting gallery he will in Adirondack and when teams start 5 hole sniping Leighton from center ice you call him back up.
Loved that part.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:58 PM
  #132
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 14,334
vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
If he is playing well I don't think you send him down. The most important thing for Bobrovsky is playing time, so if they plan on starting Leighton for the majority of the season then you send Bob down and let him face the shooting gallery he will in Adirondack and when teams start 5 hole sniping Leighton from center ice you call him back up.
Agreed. There is no point in keeping Bob in the NHL if he is going to ride the pine.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:01 AM
  #133
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
If he is playing well I don't think you send him down. The most important thing for Bobrovsky is playing time, so if they plan on starting Leighton for the majority of the season then you send Bob down and let him face the shooting gallery he will in Adirondack and when teams start 5 hole sniping Leighton from center ice you call him back up.
People already call Leighton "backup". Wait, that's not what you meant...

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
  #134
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Send Bobrovsky down to minors, put Cartsie in net.......I kid, I kid. Bobrovsky has earned every right to stay and improve, Leighton always has been and always will be a reliable back up who can get his 30 games in net. Boucher will need to be the one who moves to make space but Homer and Clarke have an office open for him if he wants.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:48 AM
  #135
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Boucher will need to be the one who moves to make space but Homer and Clarke have an office open for him if he wants.
Not necessarily. For one, Boucher is a UFA after this season, Leighton has another year. For another, Leighton makes more than Boucher.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:49 AM
  #136
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Send Bobrovsky down to minors, put Cartsie in net.......I kid, I kid. Bobrovsky has earned every right to stay and improve, Leighton always has been and always will be a reliable back up who can get his 30 games in net. Boucher will need to be the one who moves to make space but Homer and Clarke have an office open for him if he wants.
Actually, Leighton has never been that.

Outside of last year with us (where he was the starter), he's 18-35-12, <.900 SVPCT and >3.00 GAA.

And, no, Boucher isn't all that great himself, they're about the same... and, yes, we're probably fine with Leighton as a backup. But Boucher at least has a solid season on his resume as a backup.... Leighton does not have a single one (Unless you want to count his 6-7-2, .901, 2.92 with Carolina as "solid").

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:05 AM
  #137
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Not necessarily. For one, Boucher is a UFA after this season, Leighton has another year. For another, Leighton makes more than Boucher.
If Bobrovsky shows he cannot handle the pressure of the playoffs or goes down with an injury who do you really want in net, Boucher or Leighton? I will pay a little more for the insurance policy because Boucher is DUN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Actually, Leighton has never been that.

Outside of last year with us (where he was the starter), he's 18-35-12, <.900 SVPCT and >3.00 GAA.

And, no, Boucher isn't all that great himself, they're about the same... and, yes, we're probably fine with Leighton as a backup. But Boucher at least has a solid season on his resume as a backup.... Leighton does not have a single one (Unless you want to count his 6-7-2, .901, 2.92 with Carolina as "solid").

OK, at least Leighton has proven he can be able to be a reasonable backup for the Flyers. Leighton is OK with the role of being backup should maybe be the more appropriate statement and he can handle the 30 games he would need to start to give Bobrovsky a break if he continues to shine. Bobrovsky IMO should get no more than 40 starts this year if Leighton comes back.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:26 AM
  #138
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
OK, at least Leighton has proven he can be able to be a reasonable backup for the Flyers. Leighton is OK with the role of being backup should maybe be the more appropriate statement and he can handle the 30 games he would need to start to give Bobrovsky a break if he continues to shine. Bobrovsky IMO should get no more than 40 starts this year if Leighton comes back.
No he hasn't.

He stepped in and started playing a lot once Boucher got hurt... and never was the "backup" here for any extended period.

I have no problem with Leighton being the backup based on how he played for us last year, but he's NEVER had success in that role in the NHL as of yet.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:15 PM
  #139
Cartsiephan*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No he hasn't.

He stepped in and started playing a lot once Boucher got hurt... and never was the "backup" here for any extended period.

I have no problem with Leighton being the backup based on how he played for us last year, but he's NEVER had success in that role in the NHL as of yet.
Stop mincing my words. Let's clarify here further....under Jeff Reese it has been apparent that Leighton is a better goalie than he has shown in the past which in turn could make him a better backup than Boucher or than he has been in the past......oh and Carter sucks in the playoffs.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:18 PM
  #140
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
If Bobrovsky shows he cannot handle the pressure of the playoffs or goes down with an injury who do you really want in net, Boucher or Leighton? I will pay a little more for the insurance policy because Boucher is DUN.
You may pay a little more, but the Flyers may not. They are up against the cap and every penny counts.

As for Boucher being done, he looked fine in training camp and ok thus far.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:23 PM
  #141
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Stop mincing my words. Let's clarify here further....under Jeff Reese it has been apparent that Leighton is a better goalie than he has shown in the past which in turn could make him a better backup than Boucher or than he has been in the past......oh and Carter sucks in the playoffs.
I'm not mincing your words.

Similar to the BS you spout about Carter, what you're saying is factually inaccurate. Leighton HAS NOT proven he can be successful in a backup's role -- which is what you're claiming to be true. He may very well be fine at it for us, but he has zero track record as a successful backup.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:37 PM
  #142
Flyskippy
Registered User
 
Flyskippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Audubon, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm not mincing your words.

Similar to the BS you spout about Carter, what you're saying is factually inaccurate. Leighton HAS NOT proven he can be successful in a backup's role -- which is what you're claiming to be true. He may very well be fine at it for us, but he has zero track record as a successful backup.
I see the argument turning out like this:




Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:11 PM
  #143
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,771
vCash: 633
Bob getting another start tonight. Seems to me like he's cementing himself as the number one. If they send him down it will be one of the most unexplainable moves in recent memory, and there have been a few doosies.

Unless he hits some sort of wall or completely falls apart, there's no way hes going anywhere.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
  #144
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Bob getting another start tonight. Seems to me like he's cementing himself as the number one. If they send him down it will be one of the most unexplainable moves in recent memory, and there have been a few doosies.

Unless he hits some sort of wall or completely falls apart, there's no way hes going anywhere.
Tend to agree... he (and the coach) is making it pretty much impossible to send him down.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:10 PM
  #145
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,771
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Tend to agree... he (and the coach) is making it pretty much impossible to send him down.
Definitely. Lavi himself is showing that it's now his job to lose. Early on going with a rotation, he clearly has decided that his bet shot to win is with Bob. Playing in the back to back was the start of it. If Lavi has any say, which you have to believe he does, then Bob is here to stay and this fan couldn't be happier.

I'm not 100% convinced it's a done deal, but he is getting every chance to be the number 1. Lavi knows Leighton is getting closer, so nows the time to find out. Even the players are raving about him. Add that in as a factor. How would the team react if they moved Bob to make room for Leighton? I'm thinking it wouldnt be a very happy locker room.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:59 PM
  #146
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,007
vCash: 500
Former Timmy P. intern who also worked with Baicker threw this up on FB. I got a good laugh.


CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:30 PM
  #147
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,836
vCash: 500
Leave Leighton on the IR until March?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:33 PM
  #148
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNeptune View Post
Bob is decent enough right now, and with the right coaching might end up being awesome. Leighton (when healthy) and Boucher are decent enough right now, and will most likely never be anything more. Seems like simple logic to keep Bob where he is.
First post I saw when I opened the thread and I dont need to go any further. Agree 100% with this logic.

Leighton is crap, he showed his true colors in the finals.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:35 PM
  #149
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,923
vCash: 500


Quote:
Rookie sensation Sergei Bobrovsky (7-2), serenaded with "Bob" chants in the third period, made 20 saves as he notched his fifth straight win.

Bobrovsky lowered his goals-against average to 2.23 and raised his save percentage to .921.

"He's always focused, always ready to go," Giroux said. "His confidence is pretty good right now, and any time he's in net, we feel pretty comfortable, too."



Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz14NKUcSqM

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:11 AM
  #150
freakydallas13
Registered User
 
freakydallas13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,187
vCash: 500
I would keep Boosh over Leighton. Boosh we know at least is a decent back up. He waited it out last year behind 2 other goalies, played well in the playoffs, and I think is more comfortable in the backup role.

I also think that Boosh and Bob have a good relationship, Bob might be able to learn a thing or 2 from him.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.