HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Bobrovsky be Reassigned to AHL on Leighton's Return?

Old
11-05-2010, 12:15 AM
MillerTime2181

vCash: 500
Haven't seen too many games this year yet...what kind of style does Bobrovsky play? What are his strengths/weaknesses?

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:27 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
Haven't seen too many games this year yet...what kind of style does Bobrovsky play? What are his strengths/weaknesses?
Traffic and rebounds at times are his weaknesses.

Quickness, agility, vision, composure, reflexes, and positioning are his strengths.

He goes down into the butterfly quickly, but having never had a goalie coach, he's just now learning to cut down on angles by coming further out of the crease. It's gone very well so far to say the least.

He can get beat up high when he's not challenging shooters, but as I mentioned, he's a fairly aggressive between the pipes so it seems that the part of his game that he's just now learning how to incorporate into his goaltending is going to help him a lot in the NHL. He's confident when playing the puck, and if he continues to progress as far as challenging shooters trying to go up high, his quickness is going to be scary for years to come.

I will say that his work ethic is unbelievable as well.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

he's learning incredibly fast. much faster than i thought he would.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:57 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 247
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
He's really quick, but can be out of position from time to time. I guess that's just what happens when moving from the KHL to the NHL.

He is really promising though. He's the best goalie prospect the Flyers have had since ... I'm not really sure because the Flyers have never really had a goalie prospect.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Bobrovski has won five straight games and is now 7-2-0 with a 2.23 GAA and a .921 Sv%

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 01:54 AM
DickTony

I've said it before, but I don't know how in god's name you can send this kid down (assuming the decision was based off of everything to date)

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 02:43 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydallas13 View Post
I would keep Boosh over Leighton. Boosh we know at least is a decent back up. He waited it out last year behind 2 other goalies, played well in the playoffs, and I think is more comfortable in the backup role.

I also think that Boosh and Bob have a good relationship, Bob might be able to learn a thing or 2 from him.
Agreed. Boucher is easily more equipped to play the mentor role than Leighton.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 05:40 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
what can we do with Leighton though?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Have you seen how akward bobrovsky looks in the special dinner pictures on the flyers website lol. Reminds me of napolian dynamite

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
I've said it before, but I don't know how in god's name you can send this kid down (assuming the decision was based off of everything to date)
Isn't like our GM has a track record for logic when it comes to the goal position.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:20 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Have you seen how akward bobrovsky looks in the special dinner pictures on the flyers website lol. Reminds me of napolian dynamite
he probably looks very dashing to most russians lol. once he gets a few paychecks in his pocket i'm sure he'll go out and buy some clothes that are a bit more... (north) american?

as far as his play goes, he impressed me early and is visibly improving in lots of areas. he's like a sponge, both in learning ability and in name.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:38 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
Because sadly in todays environment the best players don’t always stay on the team. The unknown variable at this point imo is bob backlund. If the organization believes he can be a solid backup or play an extended period of time than I think boucher will be waived. If not they may send bob down for a short period, dont agree with it but an option. Leighton with his back injury cant be counted on. That could flare up at any time. So if boucher is waived he would likely be claimed on re-entry at least. If they have no faith in backlund, then they would be hosed and have to trade for a goalie.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 08:40 AM
DenverBoone

Did the Habs send Roy down his rookie year?

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:07 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydallas13 View Post
I would keep Boosh over Leighton. Boosh we know at least is a decent back up. He waited it out last year behind 2 other goalies, played well in the playoffs, and I think is more comfortable in the backup role.

I also think that Boosh and Bob have a good relationship, Bob might be able to learn a thing or 2 from him.
I wouldn't keep Boosh around. That .898 save percentage is not acceptable for a back up. That's not something that's team related, that's an indication of his performance. I'm sure the sympathists for Boucher will say that the team provides him no support, but I think it's an issue that the guy just doesn't have the confidence of the team when he plays. They tighten up so much that they have to play a nearly perfect game in order to win when Boosh is in nets. That's the reality of it. People may not like Leighton and I'm one of them, but this team plays much better and looser in front of Leighton. People might slam him, but Leighton's save percentage last year was .918. I'll take my chances with someone who has posted a better save percentage.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I wouldn't keep Boosh around. That .898 save percentage is not acceptable for a back up. That's not something that's team related, that's an indication of his performance. I'm sure the sympathists for Boucher will say that the team provides him no support, but I think it's an issue that the guy just doesn't have the confidence of the team when he plays. They tighten up so much that they have to play a nearly perfect game in order to win when Boosh is in nets. That's the reality of it. People may not like Leighton and I'm one of them, but this team plays much better and looser in front of Leighton. People might slam him, but Leighton's save percentage last year was .918. I'll take my chances with someone who has posted a better save percentage.
Boucher has been in 4 games... and posted a 2.26 GAA. He has been fine as a backup for us. The real problem is that you don't want Boucher playing the 30 or so games that we probably want our backup to play with Bob in his first year.

Of course, I don't have much confidence in Leighton replicating his .918...

Old
11-05-2010, 10:23 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Boucher has been in 4 games... and posted a 2.26 GAA.
And out of those four games, he won 1 game. He should have won at least two other games in the games he appeared. The man consistently gives up back breaking goals for the team. Great, has a GAA of 2.26, but I expect him to deliver some wins. You can't win when your goalie routinely allows goals 1 in every 10 shots he faces.

Quote:
He has been fine as a backup for us. The real problem is that you don't want Boucher playing the 30 or so games that we probably want our backup to play with Bob in his first year.

Of course, I don't have much confidence in Leighton replicating his .918...
I don't want Boucher in any more games, period. And it's sad that I'd prefer Leighton at this point. Actually, that irritates me that Brian Boucher's play makes me defend Michael *** Leighton. That should speak in volumes about how this team needs a real veteran netminder.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
And out of those four games, he won 1 game. He should have won at least two other games in the games he appeared. The man consistently gives up back breaking goals for the team. Great, has a GAA of 2.26, but I expect him to deliver some wins. You can't win when your goalie routinely allows goals 1 in every 10 shots he faces.
Yes you can... especially when you do a good job of limiting shots. The problem for Boucher wasn't "back breaking goals" it was that he played the majority of those games earlier in the season when the offense was struggling.

1 in 10 is 2-3 goals a game. You can win a lot of games if your goalie is only giving up 2-3 a game... especially with our offense.

Quote:
I don't want Boucher in any more games, period. And it's sad that I'd prefer Leighton at this point. Actually, that irritates me that Brian Boucher's play makes me defend Michael *** Leighton. That should speak in volumes about how this team needs a real veteran netminder.
Boucher has been fine. I have no problem with Leighton, but I don't view much difference between the two other than their respective contracts.

Old
11-05-2010, 10:51 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

They should have gone after Nitty....and if they really wanted to not fast track Bob they could have gone after Thomas who everybody thought Gagne wasn't worth and whose contract was an anvil and he was a cripple. Seems to be proving all that wrong considering we got a cripple in Walker for Gagne, signed an overpaid cripple backup in Leighton, signed a goon who gets his butt kicked, and signed a semi-lazy Russian whose ROI is still suspect. 7M for 4 players whose contributions have either been nil or minimal.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 10:55 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Dont we see a common theme here though? Boosh is in net, we lose a few games because our offense cant score. All of a sudden though our offense explodes with another goalie in there. This isnt the first time it happened either. Same exact thing happened last season. Its the confidence factor that isnt there when Boosh is in net.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Dont we see a common theme here though? Boosh is in net, we lose a few games because our offense cant score. All of a sudden though our offense explodes with another goalie in there. This isnt the first time it happened either. Same exact thing happened last season. Its the confidence factor that isnt there when Boosh is in net.
The breakout revolves around the goalie and Bob makes better first passes than Boosh.

You are right about it happening last season, too. Strange. It's like a pitcher with no run support.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
That team was cratering before Boucher got into the net last year... and I'm not sure what Boucher possibly has to do with the PP struggling (1/17 in his starts) this year.

Old
11-05-2010, 11:40 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
That team was cratering before Boucher got into the net last year... and I'm not sure what Boucher possibly has to do with the PP struggling (1/17 in his starts) this year.
Its more then that. Your nit picking two things over a vastly large area. The team was playing poorly overall, not just in the powerplay. They couldnt score during the pp or es. Boosh would let in a backbreaking goal once a game.

All I know is, it has happened twice so far. Both times when Boosh stopped playing the team has looked significantly better. One time happening people were saying luck. Twice to three times, its starting to become more of a pattern.

Its not just stats either. You can see by their overall play that they are better. ES and on the PP

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I gotta say, I have been thinking he should be sent down when Leighton comes back pretty much no matter what. But good gravy he is playing some good hockey. Sign my name up on the Bobrovsky Bandwagon!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Its more then that. Your nit picking two things over a vastly large area. The team was playing poorly overall, not just in the powerplay. They couldnt score during the pp or es. Boosh would let in a backbreaking goal once a game.

All I know is, it has happened twice so far. Both times when Boosh stopped playing the team has looked significantly better. One time happening people were saying luck. Twice to three times, its starting to become more of a pattern.

Its not just stats either. You can see by their overall play that they are better. ES and on the PP
...yes, the team is playing better. Maybe just the TEAM is playing better, and it isn't a factor of the dude standing between the pipes.

The team looked like CRAP playing in front of Bobrovsky against Pittsburgh and Anaheim. Did he drink some magic elixir on October 26th and the ES and PP suddenly turned around?

The PP is 9/28 since Boucher's last start. Prior to that it was 3/35.

So, our PP starts clicking and we start winning games: sort of the way it has been for going on 4 years around here completely independent of who is playing goal.

Old
11-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Banger

I can't believe this is even being debated. The guy has started 5 in a row with one of them being a back to back and he's won them all and he's started all 3 games vs. the Pens. There is a 0.00000000% chance he's sent down. He's their starting goalie, why in the world would them send him down to the worst AHL team to get shelled each night? Some of you are way overthinking this.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote