HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Bobrovsky be Reassigned to AHL on Leighton's Return?

Old
11-11-2010, 11:29 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Goalie Michael Leighton, the onetime journeyman who helped the Flyers reach the Stanley Cup Finals last season, continues to make strides and may be ready to return to action in less than two weeks

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport..._practice.html
Thanks, duder.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 12:04 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Maybe Holmgren could send Boucher to Adirondack to be a player-coach.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Balls Mahoney
SAVE US SVEN

Bobrovski is now

9-2-1 | 2.09 GAA | .931 Sv%

He's sixth in the league in Sv%
7th in GAA
And second in the league in Wins

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 09:24 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
No way in hell he'll be sent down at this point.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 10:14 PM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
No way in hell he'll be sent down at this point.
Seriously, If Holmgren really does, The mob may be comparable to when he traded Gagne for a pile of dog crap.

The only real option I see would be to waive Boucher, and more than likely he would pass through. Which sucks because I love boosh.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
This would be akin to sending Giroux down at this point.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Amateur Hour

Waive Leighton when he comes back and send him to the Phantoms. Maybe next time he won't conceal an injury before signing a contract.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:29 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Every game Bob makes a save that makes me think "WOWWWW!"

Every game Leighton gives up a goal that makes me think "Wow..."

Discuss.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2010, 11:36 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Bob is totally mother ****ing legit, and its awesome as ****. I just cant see burning out like Boucher or something.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 04:49 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

Discuss.
****************************K

What a depressing way to end your night... could you please switch the first and second sentence.

try:

Quote:

Discuss.
When I read it this way it makes me feel better.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 05:11 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:

Discuss.
Well now, that's impossible seeing how Leighton has more shutouts than Bob.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:38 AM
agrudez*

Lavi has already made this decision for Holmgren by riding Bobo the past few weeks.

What should happen:

Leighton will get a conditioning stint in the AHL and IF he plays half decently will get called up and be Bob's backup. Boosh will stay on the team until it is found out whether Leighton can be a decent backup or not, at which point Homer and Lavi will decide whether to waive Boosh or Leighton.

This period (which should last no more than a month) of decision will give Bob a nice break as Leighton and Boosh 'battle' for the backup spot. In a 4 game week I would assume Bob gets 2, Leighton gets 1 and Boosh gets 1, for example. Then Bob can take the reigns fully back at the start of '11.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 08:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Lavi has already made this decision for Holmgren by riding Bobo the past few weeks.

What should happen:

Leighton will get a conditioning stint in the AHL and IF he plays half decently will get called up and be Bob's backup. Boosh will stay on the team until it is found out whether Leighton can be a decent backup or not, at which point Homer and Lavi will decide whether to waive Boosh or Leighton.

This period (which should last no more than a month) of decision will give Bob a nice break as Leighton and Boosh 'battle' for the backup spot. In a 4 game week I would assume Bob gets 2, Leighton gets 1 and Boosh gets 1, for example. Then Bob can take the reigns fully back at the start of '11.
I don't know about all this. I think Leighton will get the conditioning stint like you said, but once he shows he is 100%, I think he gets the call up and Boosh gets sent down. At that point I think it will be a 1a 1b situation until one of the two starts to drop the ball. My guess is that it will be riding the hot hand type of situation unless one of Bob or Leighton really plays poorly for an extended period of time, at which point the other will get the nod as the starter.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:09 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't know about all this. I think Leighton will get the conditioning stint like you said, but once he shows he is 100%, I think he gets the call up and Boosh gets sent down. At that point I think it will be a 1a 1b situation until one of the two starts to drop the ball. My guess is that it will be riding the hot hand type of situation unless one of Bob or Leighton really plays poorly for an extended period of time, at which point the other will get the nod as the starter.
Normally I would agree with you, but Lavi rode Cam Ward all the way to the Stanley Cup in his rookie year, he has a track record of disregarding past performances and going with a hot hand.

Just look at now, did anyone think Bob would start 8 straight games? (and go 7-0-1 in them, I might add)

Old
11-12-2010, 09:27 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Normally I would agree with you, but Lavi rode Cam Ward all the way to the Stanley Cup in his rookie year, he has a track record of disregarding past performances and going with a hot hand.

Just look at now, did anyone think Bob would start 8 straight games? (and go 7-0-1 in them, I might add)
I'm not sure what Lavi riding Ward has to do with anything. It's not as if Martin Gerber had a stellar regular season or a track record of being a playoff sensation. Wouldn't a more comparable situation be what happened last year with Leighton and Emery? Once Emery was healthy he started the next 7 games even though Leighton 4-1 in his last 5 starts.

However, my concern is that unlike Leighton and Boucher who had played 40+ games in their careers at some level, Bobrovsky has not. I only hope that come March and beyond that the rigors of an NHL regular season (not to mention the playoffs) don't take its toll on him.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 11-12-2010 at 09:37 AM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 09:46 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I'm not sure what Lavi riding Ward has to do with anything. It's not as if Martin Gerber had a stellar regular season or a track record of being a playoff sensation. Wouldn't a more comparable situation be what happened last year with Leighton and Emery? Once Emery was healthy he started the next 7 games even though Leighton 4-1 in his last 5 starts.

However, my concern is that unlike Leighton and Boucher who had played 40+ games in their careers at some level, Bobrovsky has not. I only hope that come March and beyond that the rigors of an NHL regular season (not to mention the playoffs) don't take its toll on him.
That is an interesting point with Emery and Leighton; however, the difference in talent is immensely apparent between Leighton and Bob. Also, isn't Leighton pretty comparable to Gerber in alot of respects?

I am not too concerned with Bob breaking down, either, to be honest, with a work ethic like he has.

Old
11-12-2010, 09:55 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
That is an interesting point with Emery and Leighton; however, the difference in talent is immensely apparent between Leighton and Bob. Also, isn't Leighton pretty comparable to Gerber in alot of respects?

I am not too concerned with Bob breaking down, either, to be honest, with a work ethic like he has.
I won't argue with you about the talent level because that is clear. But, in the end, I wouldn't be surprised if Lavi gives Leighton the opportunity to play in a stretch of games. After that stretch, let the competition begin and whoever is winning games gets to play.

Yes, Bobrovsky has a great work ethic, but he's going to go from playing 30-35 games to potentially 50-60. That's a lot to ask for a rookie goalie. Using your Cam Ward analogy, he only played in 28 regular season games and look how good he was in the playoffs. Mind you, I don't want Bobvosky to only play 28 games, but I also don't want him playing 60 either.

Old
11-12-2010, 10:14 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
I would think if you have a goalie on a hot winning streak, you don't make ANY changes until he loses 2 in a row.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 10:48 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
I would think if you have a goalie on a hot winning streak, you don't make ANY changes until he loses 2 in a row.
That isn't what Lavi did last year. As soon as Leighton lost 1 game, Emery took the reigns (until he got hurt).

Old
11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Cartsiephan*

He is making my fantasy hockey team look pretty good right now. Bobrovsky is showing some super ability, I will be interested to see how he is after game 25 considering he has only played in 35 games in a season previously.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
That isn't what Lavi did last year. As soon as Leighton lost 1 game, Emery took the reigns (until he got hurt).
Emery has a lot more talent that Leighton does. I don't blame him.

I'm also not sure Leighton has enough talent to get through this injury. if it hampers him in the slightest way, he's done.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:40 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think everyone's making a bigger issue of the amount of games Bobrovsky has played than what it really needs to be. If you look at Jonathan Quick, he played two years at UMass-Amhearst and he played in a total of 54 games. When he went pro in 2007-2008, he played in 60 games that year. So, it's not as if it can't be done. If Bobrovsky appears in 45 to 50 games this year during the season and then is the starter come playoff time, that's perfect.

I think we've officially witnessed the end of goalies playing in 60+ games a year now and that you only want your starter to play 50-55 games a year in order to be fresh come playoff time.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I think everyone's making a bigger issue of the amount of games Bobrovsky has played than what it really needs to be. If you look at Jonathan Quick, he played two years at UMass-Amhearst and he played in a total of 54 games. When he went pro in 2007-2008, he played in 60 games that year. So, it's not as if it can't be done. If Bobrovsky appears in 45 to 50 games this year during the season and then is the starter come playoff time, that's perfect.

I think we've officially witnessed the end of goalies playing in 60+ games a year now and that you only want your starter to play 50-55 games a year in order to be fresh come playoff time.
Shh! Don't tell Lou and John MacLean.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

I still think Bobrovsky is going to need a break at some point. I was pretty shockedhe played in every game in that 6 game in 10 night, and 3 games in 4 nights stretch last week. I know Lavi is riding the hot goalie, but at some point I would think he needs a break.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:47 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I still think Bobrovsky is going to need a break at some point. I was pretty shockedhe played in every game in that 6 game in 10 night, and 3 games in 4 nights stretch last week. I know Lavi is riding the hot goalie, but at some point I would think he needs a break.
He'll get a break soon enough. I think he's playing as much as he is because the coaching staff has zero confidence in Boucher getting the job done. People can build up Boucher all they want, but fact is, the team in front of him plays well enough to win and he'll give games away.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote