Notices

Caron > Colborne as a Prospect Now?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Juice*

vCash: 500
Caron > Colborne as a Prospect Now?

Coming into this season the general consensus was that Colborne projected as a better player in the long run than Caron. Even at the time I think it was pretty easy to acknowledge that Caron was the better and more complete player right now, but Colborne's potential put him over the top.

Now that we've seen Caron acclimate very well to the NHL and he already looks like a complete player so far, has your opinion changed, or does the 6'5 player with wheels, dangles and untapped upside still win out as the better long-term prospect?

Old
10-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
Coming into this season the general consensus was that Colborne projected as a better player in the long run than Caron. Even at the time I think it was pretty easy to acknowledge that Caron was the better and more complete player right now, but Colborne's potential put him over the top.

Now that we've seen Caron acclimate very well to the NHL and he already looks like a complete player so far, has your opinion changed, or does the 6'5 player with wheels, dangles and untapped upside still win out as the better long-term prospect?
The general consensus was wrong before the season. Caron proved during all of last season he's the better prospect.

Old
10-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Hitter*
The Epitomy Of Evil

Seguin & Caron are my 2 favorite youngsters & i cant wait for them to get better & get more playing time

Old
10-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Res Nullius

Still far too early to tell, I think. Caron is obviously ahead of Colborne in terms of depth at this point, but that doesn't speak to the overall potential of either player very much. Colborne was a well-known "project pick" when we chose him, and still is. He'll be a scoring line player. I do, however, think that Caron is more of a Bruin-type player in general, so he'll be a fan favorite should he continue to produce at a reasonable pace.

That being said, for all I know Caron could go completely cold and Colborne could all of a sudden catch fire and the lead the AHL in points. Highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened. I'm ecstatic to have both in the organization. Colborne hasn't put up many points in Providence thus far, but I've gone to three games this year, and he is a very noticeable player on the ice. Protects the puck well, and displays way more patience than most of the forwards in that league when he has it. You can tell how well he thinks the game.

Old
10-30-2010, 02:58 PM
RaskMullet
You Like No ?

Colborn had 2 assist last night, looked way more involved and played physical. He had his best game as a pro I would say. He seems to be adjusting to the style.

Old
10-30-2010, 03:12 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchandManiac View Post
Colborn had 2 assist last night, looked way more involved and played physical. He had his best game as a pro I would say. He seems to be adjusting to the style.
Well then he used it all up because he played like **** today.

Short answer from me is YES, Caron has not just jumped, but leaped ahead of Colborne.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

Old
10-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Colborne might still have the higher upside, but it'd be tough to argue that he's a better prospect than Jordan Caron at the moment.

Old
10-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Unless you're talking about goaltenders there's little need to compare two hockey prospects, even ones that play the same position. You need 12 forwards on a team with many overlapping skillsets and there will be plenty of room in the future for both Colborne and Caron if they earn it.

Old
10-30-2010, 04:53 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitter View Post
Seguin & Caron are my 2 favorite youngsters & i cant wait for them to get better & get more playing time
Sauve-Seguin-Caron>French Connection Line II circa 2011/2012.

Old
10-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post
Colborne might still have the higher upside, but it'd be tough to argue that he's a better prospect than Jordan Caron at the moment.
Agreed. We all knew Caron would adapt quickly to the NHL because he plays a pro style game naturally. Colborne was drafted as a project, is making progress but is still a project. He may need two years in the AHL and there's nothing wrong with that. He could still be the better player in the long run.

Old
10-30-2010, 04:59 PM
NinthSpoke06

Obviously Caron is a better prospect than Colborne right now. He is in the NHL and contributing while Colborne is in the AHL. Was it really that hard to figure that one out?

But overall Colborne has a much higher ceiling than Caron.

Old
10-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Shaun
beauty

I think that we need to see Colborne play with the big boys before we can compare them.

Old
10-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Dr Quincy

Nothing has changed. Caron has always been the safer bet and Colborne has always had the higher ceiling. Joe was a project when we drafted him. People should have known that: poor league, not used to his body, etc.

Old
10-30-2010, 06:01 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Agreed. We all knew Caron would adapt quickly to the NHL because he plays a pro style game naturally. Colborne was drafted as a project, is making progress but is still a project. He may need two years in the AHL and there's nothing wrong with that. He could still be the better player in the long run.
I've had my say on these two, and pretty much agree with everything you said; that said- outstanding job with your recent HF prospect report; very well done (if anyone hasn't read it, go check it out, gives one a great understanding of this organization)

Old
10-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I've had my say on these two, and pretty much agree with everything you said; that said- outstanding job with your recent HF prospect report very well done (if anyone hasn't read it, go check it out, gives one a great understanding of this organization)

I read it last night. Great job Bill.

Old
10-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Ratty

With another goal tonight vs. Ottawa, it looks like the debate is settled.

Old
10-30-2010, 10:04 PM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
by who, exactly

the "debate" over which player will have the more successful career won't have something approaching an answer for years, and even then there's no indication that it won't be one of those tastes great, less filling sort of grey area disputes

as for who is more valuable to the bruins at t = 0, yeah, it's the guy playing in the nhl, but that's kind of an obvious truism

Old
10-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Juice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
by who, exactly

the "debate" over which player will have the more successful career won't have something approaching an answer for years, and even then there's no indication that it won't be one of those tastes great, less filling sort of grey area disputes

as for who is more valuable to the bruins at t = 0, yeah, it's the guy playing in the nhl, but that's kind of an obvious truism
Obviously we won't know for years but the point of this is to project who you think will be better. To me it's all about weighing Colborne's ceiling and the probability you think he has of reaching it vs. Caron, who seems to be more of a sure thing, but probably doesn't have the upside of a guy that big with that skillset.

Old
10-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
by who, exactly

If you don't like projecting players because of the uncertainty of it, I suppose you could look at the question as who has the most trade value. And the answer to that would have to be Caron. Although, like I said earlier, Colborne could end up being a better/more valuable player.

Old
10-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Ratty

Quote:
by who, exactly

Oh where, oh where is my crystal ball?

Old
10-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post
If you don't like projecting players because of the uncertainty of it, I suppose you could look at the question as who has the most trade value. And the answer to that would have to be Caron. Although, like I said earlier, Colborne could end up being a better/more valuable player.
And Maxime Sauve could end up being the equal of them both.

Old
10-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Juice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanSeguin View Post
Obviously Caron is a better prospect than Colborne right now. He is in the NHL and contributing while Colborne is in the AHL. Was it really that hard to figure that one out?

But overall Colborne has a much higher ceiling than Caron.
Being better right now doesn't make you the better prospect.

Old
10-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Juice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Unless you're talking about goaltenders there's little need to compare two hockey prospects, even ones that play the same position. You need 12 forwards on a team with many overlapping skillsets and there will be plenty of room in the future for both Colborne and Caron if they earn it.
I'm not suggesting one will become expendable because the other is better. It's all for the sake of debating. Why debate Orr vs. Gretzky, Crosby vs. Ovechkin, etc. It's just for fun.

Old
10-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Baddkarma

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Big Joe is 20 years old and still growing into his sizable frame. He has a nice skill set and needs ice time every night, ProBruins is the place for him.

Ill bet a six pack of Texas beer he is in serious contention for a roster spot next year. The kid has oodles of talent and needs to mature. No rush with him...

Old
10-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Gator Mike

Let's keep in mind that kids develop at different rates.

I still think Colborne has a bigger "upside" than Caron, though.

Closed Thread