HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you think of Grachev's play...

Old
10-31-2010, 12:13 PM
NikC

vCash: 500
What do you think of Grachev's play...

Do you think his play during his time up with the club will warrant a longer stay sooner than later?

I'm much more concered about him making the club than MZA.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Really small sample size; but I think he deserves to stay at least a couple more games.

Play him on the RW of the Frolov line, move Prust to 4th, is what i'm calling for here.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Rangers44*

Unless Gernander is replaced, I see no reason for him to go back to AHL. Dump useless Boogaard to make room.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Vernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Really small sample size; but I think he deserves to stay at least a couple more games.
I agree. He's using his size, and is gaining some confidence. His wheels are adequate, too. At one point Grachev, Boyle, and Boogaard were out together last night. That's a big group.

Vernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:26 PM
hlundqvist30*

He's been fine. Hasn't really done anything wonderful, but he hasn't been an issue, which is a good thing. Guys who break out early like MDZ are rare. Dubinsky, Anisimov, and Callahan were all nonfactors in their first few games in the NHL. What I want to see out of Grachev right now is him making smart, simple decisions, forechecking and backchecking hard, and keep skating. Anything else right now is a bonus. He's done all of those things.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Blazephr

I thought he looked fine. Didn't look too out of place. He certainly looks like a kid, trying to find his way with-in the game at the pro-level.

I agree, Ken G. in Hartford needs to go. That whole scene down there is starting to worry me in regard to the youth that are supposed to be developing. Got kids like McDonagh who went from a winning environment in Wisconsin to that nightmare going on in Hartford.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

He is actually playing with some urgency and I like it

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:50 PM
ColonialsHockey10

He has been way better then anything I saw in preseason. Unfortunately, he just has no confidence right now. Unless he can use the boards in the offensive zone as protection, he flat out doesn't want the puck, and doesn't look hungry for it. With the puck in the offensive zone he does look quite comfortable, he's is definitely bigger then even Anisimov.

I think he deserves more time with the Rangers.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

He's alright. He really hasn't gotten much time to show what he can really do.

When he was on the ice, I noticed he was always well positioned where ever the puck was. His legs look a little weak. I saw some posts a while ago about Anisimov's skating as well when he was down in the minors... So Grachev be fine with some development. We know what his potential is just like when we waited for Anisimov.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:12 PM
satrabyk

I dont know what you guys have been watching out on the ice but for a player to playing first couple games in the NHL and have the positive impact he has had is incredible and warrants a stay and more minutes with better players. Lets remember folks he is a 6'3 lengthy big kid still finding his body, he is only going to improve similar to Anisimov but i think more so because Grachev seems to have more dimensions to his game like physicality, speed, and scoring touch. I honestly love the confidence he has played with in the last two games. He wins races, hits, protects the puck, exactly what you want from a guy like that. I dont what was wrong in the preseason but here he has looked very good. Keep him around!

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hes better than todd white...by a lot.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Certainly prefer Grachev over white.

Even if white is more experienced....id much prefer to acclimate Grachev in the NHL this year and deal with his growing pains.

White has absolutely no future in this team and theres just no point in having him.

Also imo, grachev has been brought more to the team in his two games then white has all season.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:19 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
hes better than todd white...by a lot.
Ya no question, Why is Todd White on this team? Kennedy or even MZA are also much better alternatives. I'd like to see Kennedy called up Grachev kept, and White dismissed, while Boogy plays off and on, would make much more sense than having White and Boogard every night. The reason i think White is here is because he does what Torts wants, which is the type of guy Torts likes.

Old
10-31-2010, 04:25 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Play him on the RW of the Frolov line, move Prust to 4th, is what i'm calling for here.
Agreed. Actually, I think it's pretty obviously the right move for at least a few reasons. But I doubt it'll happen.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:28 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
Agreed. Actually, I think it's pretty obviously the right move for at least a few reasons. But I doubt it'll happen.
What has Prust done to deserve that demotion? What has Grachev done to deserve that promotion?

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:42 PM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
What has Prust done to deserve that demotion? What has Grachev done to deserve that promotion?
I wouldn't call moving Prust to the 4th line a "demotion" per se -- he is a 4th line player.

Grachev needs to play some minutes and play with some skilled linemates for us to know what we have here. If he's not up to it, it's an easy fix.

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:44 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
STICK AROUND: Evgeny Grachev was part of today’s practice after playing 11 shifts for 8:01 last night in Toronto, so there were 13 forwards on the ice for today’s practice. From the sound of things, somebody will be a healthy scratch tomorrow, because the 20-year-old Russian isn’t headed back to Connecticut.

“He’s gonna play,” Tortorella said. “We’re gonna keep him here right now, and I want to see more of him, and hopefully he can keep on growing, and as long as he protects the puck, I think the other parts of his game will come into play because I think he’ll get more minutes.”

Derek Boogaard would have to be seen as the most likely player to don a suit tomorrow night and sit in the press box, as the Blackhawks don’t have a big-time fighter and the Rangers could utilize Todd White’s faceoff skills and back-checking abilities on the third or fourth line and in penalty killing situations.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/#ixzz13yHRPsjS

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

good to hear we are keeping him.

Grachev>Boogaard and its not even close.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:50 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
I wouldn't call moving Prust to the 4th line a "demotion" per se -- he is a 4th line player.

Grachev needs to play some minutes and play with some skilled linemates for us to know what we have here. If he's not up to it, it's an easy fix.
Whether he is a 4th line player or not is not the point. Prust has received more minutes than 4th line minutes in the last few games and has done nothing to deserve relinquishing those minutes. I can think of a few other forwards who should have minutes shaved for Grachev.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:46 PM
eco's bones

Despite what the Daily News reports Chicago does have a big time fighter. His name is John Scott and he's definitely a top 5 heavyweight and an intimidating presence when he feels like it--quite capable of beating Boogaard, Orr or any of the other top fighters on any given night.

As for Grachev he's looked better than I expected. I don't have a problem getting a better look at him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:12 PM
KFC

He looked better than I expected. He was very good with the puck on his stick. It looked to me like he needs to get stronger though. The thing that I didn't like was his skating. His skating was not good. I really don't see how he is going to play in the NHL skating like that.

KFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:16 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I always felt he was unmotivated in Hartford.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:22 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Ya no question, Why is Todd White on this team? Kennedy or even MZA are also much better alternatives. I'd like to see Kennedy called up Grachev kept, and White dismissed, while Boogy plays off and on, would make much more sense than having White and Boogard every night. The reason i think White is here is because he does what Torts wants, which is the type of guy Torts likes.
Tod White is on the team so that ******* Brashear isn't; thats why Tod White is on team

Kennedy will never wear a NYR sweater this year; $500K contract and has to be exposed to recall waivers which means any team can grab him for $250K

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:38 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
Tod White is on the team so that ******* Brashear isn't; thats why Tod White is on team

Kennedy will never wear a NYR sweater this year; $500K contract and has to be exposed to recall waivers which means any team can grab him for $250K
But unlike Brashear, White can and should have been sent to Hartford and be placed completely out of sight and mind (capwise).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:02 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post

Why was Kennedy sent down to begin with, if that is the case?