HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Bye Bye Cullimore

Closed Thread

Old
07-22-2004, 08:31 AM
CROMAG

vCash: 500
Bye Bye Cullimore

Jassen has signed with the Chicago Blackhawks. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=91971

Old
07-22-2004, 09:07 AM
exterminator-x

Bummer. He better have gotten $3MM+ and about 3/5 years to leave the champs and start all over again in a rebuilding project for an ownership that is even worse than PS&E.

Old
07-22-2004, 09:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by exterminator-x
Bummer. He better have gotten $3MM+ and about 3/5 years to leave the champs and start all over again in a rebuilding project for an ownership that is even worse than PS&E.
My thoughts exactly, I distinctly remember when Cullimore re-signed in Tampa. "I know this team is headed in the right direction, and I want to be here for the future of this team.

I wish he could have left before last season :mad:

Old
07-22-2004, 09:38 AM
CROMAG

I don't blame Jassen for leaving at all. I wish him the best in Chicago. The report says that he was offered a two year deal by the Lightning for 2 million a year. He made 1.65 last year right? Doesn't sound like much of an offer to me for arguably your best dman. Jassen doesn't seem like the type of person who would leave to play for another team if the money was equivalent. Like I said, good luck Jassen. However, this is a definate blow to the Lightning.

Also, I expect this to have implications on the resigning of other players.

Old
07-22-2004, 09:47 AM
Flycoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROMAG
I don't blame Jassen for leaving at all. I wish him the best in Chicago. The report says that he was offered a two year deal by the Lightning for 2 million a year. He made 1.65 last year right? Doesn't sound like much of an offer to me for arguably your best dman. Jassen doesn't seem like the type of person who would leave to play for another team if the money was equivalent. Like I said, good luck Jassen. However, this is a definate blow to the Lightning.

I don't think this will have any negative effects on the re-signing of the RFAs. Quite the contrary; it frees up a bit of cash for them.

Players know this is the business side and expect pieces of every team to move every year.

I hope Cullimore has a successful injury free season with the Blackhawks. He deserves it.

Old
07-22-2004, 10:29 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROMAG

I think this is the right attitude. Unless you see Tampa Bay riding the increasing payroll into the $50m to $60m range, then I think you need to come to grips with the fact that you will lose some players. the only gripe you could have is choice of players and return. had TB signed Cullimore they would have then had to trade one of the rfa's. If they traded Sarich, they could well have gotten more than the comp pick that Cullimore will return. Otherwise you have no complaints.

Neither the ownership nor the next cba is going to allow the TB payroll to grow where it would. I think realistically you need to look at what other payroll decisions may be necessary before there is hockey again. There will not be hockey this season without a salary cap and a cap at $40m will be a bigger number than many see coming. But, if the cap number is $40m which players get signed and which must they move in order to keep the payroll at $40m??? Khabibulin and St. Louis eat up the difference between $35m and $40m plus the $1.65m from Cullimore.

Old
07-22-2004, 10:54 AM
1Timer

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/THE_PLA...io.asp?ID=1189

Says $2.3M. I hope he got the 10 years that we weren't going to give him. :/

Old
07-22-2004, 11:11 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
so what does the current defense look like?

Kubina - Sydor
Boyle - Sarich
Lukowich - Pratt????

Old
07-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Oceanic39*

Kubina-Sydor
Sarich-Pratt
Boyle-Lukowich

Those were the pairings through the last of the NYI series, all of the MTL series, and 6 games of the Philly series. Pratt really came on strong.

Cullimore was getting the 4th most ice time throughout the last season and playoffs. Of course, he wasn't getting PP time, but he wasn't the #1 some think he was. He will be missed, no question, but I don't think, under TB's financial restraints trying to re-sign core players like Kubina, St. Louis, Modin, Sarich, etc, that he was worth the pricetag and year-commitment (assuming he got 3 years).

Old
07-22-2004, 11:46 AM
robtootell

First off, good luck Jassen, but I am very disappointed to lose him as he was my favourite D-man and was our biggest physical presence without a doubt. You knew when you had been hit by him, and I,m not sure our remaining 6 have that sort of presence.

I have a question though guys. If there is an agreement on a new CBA and there is a salary cap of lets say $45Million....what happens to the teams who have invested in UFA's and there salary is over that figure, do they have to renegotiate contracts or will they have to release players. How will it work?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Old
07-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
I think realistically you need to look at what other payroll decisions may be necessary before there is hockey again.
Why are you so worried about Tampa's payroll and roster, and what makes you think you know what the new CBA will involve? Seriously, you were wrong about us "having" to trade Khabibulin, what makes you think you're right about this stuff? No one knows what's going to happen, and your condescension and constant wishes of doom and gloom for our team are not appreciated or necessary.

Anyway, this is a disappointment more from a "chemistry" standpoint than an on-ice standpoint IMO. This team has played well without Cully for extended periods of time over the past two seasons, and Pratt's recent improvement gives me hope that he can keep it up and contribute. I'd be more concerned about losing Kubina or Sarich, just to name two. This sucks, but it's not the end of the world, losing Prospal was much worse, and the team somehow survived.

Like 1Timer, I certainly hope this is a long contract, because $2.3 mil is not exactly the number I thought he'd be getting.

Old
07-22-2004, 12:58 PM
CROMAG

3 years at 7.5 million is what is being reported on tsn.

Old
07-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Perhaps $2.3M, $2.5M, $2.7M then.

Old
07-22-2004, 02:08 PM
petec1978*

Quote:
Why are you so worried about Tampa's payroll and roster
Because txpd is a Caps fan still stinging from the fact we swatted them down not only from the playoffs two seasons ago but from being competitive altogether by starting their precipitous fall into the gutter.

Txpd's been praying hard that the Lightning can't sustain their roster because Txpd knows if they can the Lightning will rule not only the Southeast Division, but perhaps even the conference and entire league with an iron fist for a LONG LONG time.

Old
07-22-2004, 02:36 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Why are you so worried about Tampa's payroll and roster, and what makes you think you know what the new CBA will involve? Seriously, you were wrong about us "having" to trade Khabibulin, what makes you think you're right about this stuff? No one knows what's going to happen, and your condescension and constant wishes of doom and gloom for our team are not appreciated or necessary.
Please...there is no doom and gloom in my comments. my interest is in what happens with teams that are over the projected cap number, if there is a cap.

in my view as long as tampa has sydor, boyle, kubina and sarich they are in great shape. if there is a salary cap, its my view that benches will be shortened and a team with a top 4 like that will be in great shape. both pp and pk are covered nicely there. In my view Cullimore, Pratt and Lukowich may be overkill in the new system, but thats just me.

going with 4 rather than a rotation of 6 certainly fits into the planned drop to 72 games with fewer games per week and a lot fewer back to back and 3 games in four nights on the schedule. its a lot easier to play defensemen 25:00 with that kind of schedule.

but...the fact remains that if the cap is going to be $40m it will be hard to keep the entire team. don't you agree?

Old
07-22-2004, 06:23 PM
Hockeyfan02

I have confidence Jay Feaster can keep this team's core together to the best of his abilities. Its not about keeping an entire team together, its about keeping the core together. As long as they keep the core intact then they will be a competitor. The Red Wings had musical chairs with their top 4d and top 6 forwards and hell even their goalies, but they kept Fedorov, Lidstrom, Yzerman, Shanahan, and a few others together to win 3 cups in 6 years. In no way am I comparing the Lightning to the Wings but they can still be a contender if they keep Khabi, St.Louis, Vinny, Richards, Modin, Kubina, Sydor, Boyle together. Players will leave, thats a given. Every team goes through that. For Cullimore, I'm sad hes gone, but hes not Bobby Orr. He can be replaced. I wish him the best.

Old
07-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Rschmitz

Atleast when Prospal took his money grab Anaheim was coming off a successful season with a cup showing.

..if you call it a money grab of course. He was suppose to be worth 2.25 mill Or are the hawks the only team that thought he was worth around that much.

Did the contract include any bonuses?

Old
07-22-2004, 08:09 PM
petec1978*

I won the "How much is Cullimore worth?" pool at $2.5M per. You all owe me a cookie.

Old
07-22-2004, 08:46 PM
Rschmitz

It was 2.3 mill..so you can take that cookie, and shoove it up your ***, shoove it up your ***, shoove it up your **, I did it all for.....

I win

Old
07-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Technically, at three years at $7.5 million total, it is indeed a $2.5 million per year average salary, before any performance bonuses.

Old
07-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
Please...there is no doom and gloom in my comments. my interest is in what happens with teams that are over the projected cap number, if there is a cap.
Again...WHY? I don't sit around wondering what other teams are going to do and trying to get sway their fans to my opinion, it's really not my problem. I think Pete hit the nail on the head, personally.

And I call BS on the doom and gloom stuff, you repeated over and over all last season that we were going to trade Khabi any day, couldn't afford him, etc. You come on here condescendingly suggesting that we're all just blind if we think our team will be kept together, and suggest that we would have been better off trading Sarich (younger and without the injury history) than letting Cully walk. If you actually wish us well, that's news to me!

Quote:
going with 4 rather than a rotation of 6 certainly fits into the planned drop to 72 games with fewer games per week and a lot fewer back to back and 3 games in four nights on the schedule.
I'll believe the game drop when I see it. You seem to take all of these suggested changes as if they're actually going to happen. Fewer games=even less revenue+more dates to fill at the arena, I will be shocked if the owners go for that unless the players agree to a DRASTIC salary cut, which would also surprise me.

Quote:
but...the fact remains that if the cap is going to be $40m it will be hard to keep the entire team. don't you agree?
It doesn't much matter, because I don't care what anyone says, not Bettman and especially not some guy on a message board, there is no way they will impose a hard cap that low without grandfathering contracts, unless there is (again) a DRASTIC across the board salary cut. I see no need to worry about a $40m immediately imposed hard cap, it's not realistic. Obviously the way some teams are handing out the contracts, NO ONE is worried about a $40m cap! Besides, it's not my job to worry about such things, it's Feaster's, and he's done right by us so far.

Anyway, this thread isn't about League economics and how some people wish the Lightning crash and burn, it's about Jassen Cullimore...

TB_Fanatic, it seems obvious that this was more about the contract length than anything else. I wouldn't call it a "money grab", I honestly don't know what it is. X came up with the best suggestion on the SSN board, that Cully wanted a more expanded role than he would have gotten here. It wouldn't be my choice, but more power to him.

Old
07-22-2004, 09:28 PM
NhLlOvEr

Good luck Jassen, hope you like Chicago. Our defense won't look the same w/o you!

Old
07-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Sotnos

I'm sure you all have seen this, but the Trib reported that Jassen's deal was $9.8 for 4 years, while we offered $7 for 3 years. Link

(I don't much care for Torts' comments there, that's uncalled for IMO)

Good news buried in there is that Dave will be coming back. That deserves a banana

Old
07-22-2004, 10:46 PM
1Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
(I don't much care for Torts' comments there, that's uncalled for IMO)
Agree 100%, even though I usually respect Torts for his big mouth.

Old
07-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Jasper Nuguya

I'll miss Cullimore. It's a puzzling to me why he'd want to go to Chicago, but, best of luck to him. After this year, I have no reason to doubt Feaster's moves, so it should be interesting to see how Pratt does in his new role. It should be an interesting year.

Closed Thread