HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Oceanic39*

vCash: 500
One one hand...

I don't think you're apt to see Feaster trade up unless there is a prospect whom they are REALLY high on and he's fallen a little bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Feaster's traded up in either of his drafts. Dudley would do it at the drop of a hat, but Feaster is more apt to trade down for a guy who fits their wants (and may not be as highly rated by other teams: see Egener, Smaby). Feaster has shown an ability (with Goertzen) in the last two drafts to make good use of his mid-late round picks. Finding guys like Ranger and Reid and O'Brien and the like that look like NHLers may lessen the need to get a "guaranteed" player by moving up in the early rounds.

On the other... as Pete mentioned, TB does need some prime-time skill on the farm and what a better time than right after winning the Cup (my GOSH does that sound good to use now) with a young core to take a little bit of a gamble and move up to get that high-end guy. It would have to be a player in whom they think will be a "guaranteed" guy, though, and Stafford may top out as a 2nd liner. His hands aren't as good as some other prospects, though he plays a Tortorella-friendly game.

Let the cramming for the draft begin!

Old
06-10-2004, 01:16 PM
petec1978*

There are no "sure things" after Ovechkin and Malkin in this draft.

For the ultimate dice rollers, there's Blake Wheeler.

For the semi-adventurous, there's Travis Zajac.

For the cautious, take a goaltender like Dubnyk.

-Pete Choquette

Old
06-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Rschmitz

Does size take a back seat to talent then (Schremp type)? Or is Feaster still looking for those size-speed attributes that were stressed during the Dudley regime? In past drafts i've noticed how superior smaller talent has been passed over for teams looking for size, so maybe Feaster does trade down takes advantage. Or has Marties success somewhat rekindled GM's willingness to draft smaller players?

Old
06-10-2004, 02:02 PM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC
In past drafts i've noticed how superior smaller talent has been passed over for teams looking for size, so maybe Feaster does trade down takes advantage. Or has Marties success somewhat rekindled GM's willingness to draft smaller players?
I'm not so sure we have a complete picture or accurate read on Feaster's drafting tendencies yet, IMO. Others may disagree. The first two years, the organization has been focused on filling some glaring holes in the prospect system that have resulted from:

(1) a long-term dysfunctional development system stemming from not having a sole minor league affiliation;

(2) Dudley's relatively poor track record of drafting prospects with NHL upside coupled with his almost manical preference to big, fast Russians and huge, slow defenseman;

(3) Dudley's seemingly constant trading of picks and prospects.

As such, IMO Feaster's drafting tendencies have been somewhat masked and skewed simply out of necessity to address a number of holes in the organization. For example,

Feaster's first draft was clearly focused on improving the NHL team that was being iced, of course the lynchpin being the trade of the 4th overall for Fedotenko, Lukowich, and Henrich.

Feaster's second draft was focused on replenishing the system with defenseman and goalies, glaring holes in our system. Feaster came under quite a bit of fire for passing up a number of skilled forwards last summer in order to draft the likes of Egener, Smaby, and Boutin. Like it or not, the organization from ownership, to the GM, and to the coaches each have a plan, and they persistently stick to that plan no matter the criticism from press or fans. Remember the outcry last year of passing over Stewart, O'Sullivan, and Vrana for Egener and Smaby?

That all being said, on the surface, it seems that drafting from Europe and Russia have been de-emphasized, and Feaster may have a soft spot for tough western Canadians. And the fact that he was the first GM in Lightning history to draft an FC goalie is also telling. Certainly Goertzen, and to a lesser extent Bill Barber, have much input into the drafting plan. As a *recovering* attorney, Feaster puts a lot of faith in the *hockey* people he has surrounded himself with, and the trifecta of Goertzen, Reese, and Barber have served him well so far.

Regarding the organization's view on diminuative forwards, I think you look no further than the chance and role Perrin was given at the end of the season and the early rounds of the playoffs to see that there is no overt *bias* against smaller players. However, I don't see the squad carrying more than one or two of these little guys at a time. In the later rounds of the playoffs, size MATTERS significantly as we all saw. When the refs throw away their whistles and the rulebook, St. Louis' impact mostly went out the window with it, and Perrin was reduced to serving popcorn and filling out the practice squad.

I don't think you're going to see many little guys drafted, though. They ones like St. Louis and Perrin who battle through all that and make it despite their small size makes for great profile stories, and I think that is fine by the Lightning. Draft guys with size and character, and keep an eye peeled for the undrafted midgets who won't seem to go away.

Old
06-10-2004, 07:40 PM
petec1978*

I would have a heart attack if Schremp dropped to us, although I would've said that about O'Sullivan falling so far last season.

IMO the template for a Lightning player hasn't changed much since Jay has taken over. Our scouts still love big guys who can skate and Jeff Reese still loves mammoth sized goaltenders... and that size tends to be a bigger factor in their decision making than skill. It seems like they want the specemin and they'll teach him how to play hockey as time goes on.

The difference is, of course, Jay loves North Americans and Dudley loved Russians. Jay's top picks in 2002 and 2003 pretty much prove this out: Henrich, Egener, and Smaby versus Dudley's picks of guys like Svitov, Polushin and Alexeev.

So for our top pick... I'd say bet the farm on a player who will be at least 6'2" when they're fully filled out and North American.

Speaking of which, I think I need to go to the HF Cave and check to see how the official HF mock is going and if they're on pick 30.

-Pete Choquette

Old
06-10-2004, 07:43 PM
petec1978*

Kevin Wey on the clock and Zajac off the board...

And the question is... do I follow my heart and take Wheeler or my head and take a goaltender?

-Pete Choquette

Old
06-10-2004, 10:10 PM
petec1978*

Chicago reportedly looking to acquire another 1st round pick and they have a few 2nd rounders stockpiled to do it...

-Pete Choquette

Old
06-12-2004, 01:08 PM
Oceanic39*

Draft Talk

Sotnos... can we sticky a Draft Talk thread up until the draft? We had the CSS Finals one, but I can't find it anywhere. I did a search, found it, but it said it was an invalid thread and wouldn't show it.

In that thread a poster said that the Lightning were the last team to talk to Adam Pineault of Boston College after a recent prospect gathering.

He fell after a year where he couldn't earn the icetime he needed.

It wasn't mentioned in that thread - but is probably common knowledge by now - he left BC in late April and it's speculated he's going to Moncton of the Q.

Reading his profile around the 'net, he sounds like a player the Lightning would be interested in, but may not be worth a first. Other things I've read said someone will take a chance on him in the mid-late first. I don't think his name should be thrown away for a possibility to pick for Tampa, though.

Old
06-12-2004, 04:05 PM
petec1978*

If they draft Pineault, it should be after a trade down. Taking him in the first round would be a reach and the Lightning know it, just as they knew taking Egener in the first would've been a reach even though he was the guy they wanted at 25.

-Pete Choquette

Old
06-12-2004, 05:01 PM
CROMAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic39
Sotnos... can we sticky a Draft Talk thread up until the draft? We had the CSS Finals one, but I can't find it anywhere. I did a search, found it, but it said it was an invalid thread and wouldn't show it.

In that thread a poster said that the Lightning were the last team to talk to Adam Pineault of Boston College after a recent prospect gathering.

He fell after a year where he couldn't earn the icetime he needed.

It wasn't mentioned in that thread - but is probably common knowledge by now - he left BC in late April and it's speculated he's going to Moncton of the Q.

Reading his profile around the 'net, he sounds like a player the Lightning would be interested in, but may not be worth a first. Other things I've read said someone will take a chance on him in the mid-late first. I don't think his name should be thrown away for a possibility to pick for Tampa, though.
How would you say he rates compared to Adam Berti? Are they considred similar as far as the way the play?

Old
06-12-2004, 06:02 PM
petec1978*

Berti is a speedster with not much in the hands department.

Pineault, on the other hand, is more of a power forward type.

Both have struggled somewhat... Berti out of lack of intensity and Pineault for a number of factors.

Pineault is the better pick of the two IMO.

-Pete Choquette

Old
06-13-2004, 10:44 AM
Sotnos

Guys, if you want to know what is up with Pete, you'll really have to ask him yourselves!

Alright, I merged both threads together, consider this your official draft thread and revel in the fact that we're picking 30th.

Last edited by Sotnos: 06-13-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old
06-13-2004, 10:53 AM
aapbolt

trade

Does anyone think we will hang onto our 1st round choice? After the last two years i think jay will trade down again. This is a weak draft and he may want out of the first in order to save some money and get some later prospects that might develop long term. From everything i have read this is one of the weakest drafts in awhile so that seems like a logical conclusion. Are there some gems that will be around later in the 2nd that jay might want to pick up? If so then I see a trade of the first- maybe to florida or Pittsburgh. One of the rebuilding teams may want to part with later round choices in order to get a better prospect earlier on. Gee how nice is it to draft last??

Old
06-14-2004, 10:35 AM
Oceanic39*

HF first round mock draft complete.

After consulting with their draft advisor, the Lightning make the "heady" pick and choose Kamloops goaltender Devan Dubnyk.

Indeed, Boutin, Coleman and Eklund are all coming off great developmental seasons, but after seeing how important not just above-average goaltending, but unhuman goaltending was in the team's Cup run, the Lightning take the 6-6, 194-pound Dubnyk. Somewhere Jeff Reese is smiling.

Scouting Report:

Positives: Huge, quick feet, quick hands, and good positioning. Shooters don't have much net to look at. WHL's GT of the year and scholastic player of the year.

"He could be the big surprise in net," said a former goalie turned scout.
"For a big goalie, he's fairly agile," said another scout. "He moves well in his crease and he has good lateral movement. You watch him andyou see good anticipation and he's very alert."
Will garner strong consideration for Canada's WJC squad next Christmas.

Neutral comment: Wears Luongominiums.

Negatives: No word yet on competitiveness, a Feaster/Reese primary ingredient. Also, he has bad acne. Not Kovalchuk bad, but we're going to need some Oxy here. Finally, there's no way Dubnyk falls to the 30 spot. THN says he'll be a steal in the MID-first round. However, there have been a few mocks that have both Dubnyk and Schneider available at 30.

Comparison: Kolzig, but a little bigger and a little quicker.

Alternatives:

In this situation, consideration was given to high-risk/high-reward prospects Wheeler and Pineault.

Last edited by Oceanic39*: 06-14-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Old
06-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Oceanic39*

TSN Top-30 (Not The Sporting News)

Noteables:
Zajac-14
Dubnyk-21
Lisin-23
Kaspar-25
Chucko-28
Wheeler-31
Pineault-33
Schneider-34
Sindel-35
Graham-37
Bickell-43
Berti-44

Old
06-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Oceanic39*

McKeen's Mock Draft

They have Bolland falling to us. Bolland is a smallish (under 6') center for the London Knights with good offensive skills. THN has him at 21, projecting him as a 2-way forward.

I think he's too small for Feaster/Jake's liking, as they've been pretty steady in drafting forwards 6'1" or taller. Most have been in the 6'2" or 6'3" range, especially those taken in the first 6 rounds: Henrich (6'4"), Kazionov (6'3"), Akkanen (6'6").

It wouldn't be a bad pick, but they have us passing on Zajac for him.

Old
06-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Oceanic39*

Well, the folks on the JV board are making a statement for LightningNation by voting 72% in favor of drafting a defenseman in the first round Saturday. Goalie is second with 10%.

Defensive depth is the strongest part of the farm right now with Holmqvist, Egener, Smaby, Ranger, O'Brien and Dicaire.

Can't find the logic in this one.

Old
06-23-2004, 06:19 PM
petec1978*

Ran into the same thing on AOL, which of course is the sub-JV board.

Kind of humerous really. Seems the justifications there were actually valid... A YEAR AGO (hence the reason you trade down to secure Egener and Smaby and use your fourth pick on O'Brien).

LightningNation appears to be on a one year behind when it comes to draft matters. Kind of justifies Erik Erlendsson's position that the local papers need to do more prospect coverage to keep the fans up to date IMO.

Old
06-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Donnie D

Never been one for drafting "need" when the player the Bolts will draft at #30 is at least 3 years away from sniffing the NHL roster. Who knows what the team will look like by then? BPA is the only way to go.

Old
06-23-2004, 09:00 PM
petec1978*

In general drafting BPA is always the smart thing to do. Last year was an exception though given how thin we were at the defenseman position. Besides, the Lightning believed Egener and Smaby were the BPA in the early second round.

Old
06-23-2004, 10:18 PM
penkil2

Quote:
YES!!!

On 2 counts....

1) If we draft him, add another Rimouski star-in-the-making to the list (not calling Hrdel a star)
2) He was supposed to go to Boston College, which means Joe Pearce may be allowed an easier road to the starting job once their Finnish goalie graduates this year.
Pearce will not be at BC next year.

Old
06-23-2004, 10:26 PM
penkil2

Quote:
I agree, however, if Jay is feeling lucky and wants to take a high-risk/high-reward pick, Pineault could be the guy.

I don't like reading this about him, though: "He's called the Mystery Man for good reason (THN)," "He did not work hard and he is a myster man. He has gone backwards and why, we don't know. (scout)" They all keep pointing to the fact he didn't play, but point to his under-17 teams he was so "great" on. Projected as a top-2 line power forward.

Re: Berti

Some comments that stuck out:

"When he wakes up and wants to play, he can play (scout)."
"He reminds me of Clark Gillies in that Gillies played very passively if you left him alone. Slash him once or twice and you got him going.(scout)"
"You wish he was more competative (NHL exec)" This one isn't good, but you could be describing Adam Henrich in his draft year.

Re: Seitsonen

I agree, Pete, he can't be a #1 with those numbers. But comments that stuck out in his profile:

"They [Finnish players] just work and work and work. (scout)"
"Good size, average scill, and is very competitive. (THN)"
"I don't know if he'll be a big scorer at the NHL level, but he won't be outworked.(scout)"

So, you're not only thinking 2nd at best, but maybe lower. Here's why I think he's a candidate:

"He has good smarts and good puck skills (scout)."
"Scouts can't wait until next season to see how he faris in his 2nd year in the WHL... he played in the Top Prospets Game and had the 4th best 60 yard dash and posted the 9th fastest in the fastest skater competition."

They make it sound like he's got untapped offensive potential to go along with the Tortorella-ingredients. For the record, he scored 15 in 14 with Ahmat in the Mid. and 18 in 40 with Hameen in the Finnish Jrs.

I think he'd be one to even trade up to the mid-2nd to get. Perhaps package a fifth or fourth (not the CLB pick, or do we have another 4th?) with our 2nd to move up 10 or so spots if he's still there in round 2.
Saw Pineault play this week and he was great. 2g, 2a in 1 game playing in the PRO AM league out of Bridgewater, MA. Pineault has the talent and from what I hear in the area, BC poorly managed the 3 freshmen this past season. Pineault is a power forward who has all the skill needed in the NHl, all he needs is a chance to prove it. The 2 goals I saw were over the shoulder of the goalie. Pineault can play RC/RW, although he shines most as Center. I believe he should go in the 1st round without a doubt.

Old
06-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Oceanic39*

Woodlief (Red-line) had his chat yesterday:

He did a lot of talking right here

He projects Wheeler to go 23-27.

No mention of Pineault.

Questions Sindel's work ethic.

Old
06-24-2004, 10:47 PM
Oceanic39*

CBS-Sportsline came out with their mock this week.

Anyone can do a mock!

I love our pick of Wolski at THIRTY, but Rick Dudley has a better chance of being hired again by the Lightning than Wolski does of falling to 30. Stafford falling to Ottawa is almost as bad.

Old
06-24-2004, 11:09 PM
petec1978*

I'd crap my pants if Wolski fell to 30. I have no idea, other than the fact he apparently shoved someone at a party and had the cops called on him, why this guy has dropped over the course of the year. By all rights, he has lottery pick talent.

Closed Thread