HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2004, 12:15 AM
petec1978*

vCash: 500
I sat down and did my own mock and it was Wheeler at 30 after the top four goalies went off the board.

Old
06-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
Originally Posted by petec1978
I sat down and did my own mock and it was Wheeler at 30 after the top four goalies went off the board.
You've sold me on Wheeler (it wasn't difficult), and as you mentioned, seeing that Feaster took a chance on USHSer Smaby last year it could be in the cards, but I'm not sure he'll be there at 30. I think the Rangers or someone with multiple picks will take a shot at him, or someone in the 25 range will take a chance on the package. Big guys like that usually tend to rise. That's why I think Graham will be gone by 25. I point to the Kings last year taking a project in Brian Boyle at 26, or Minnesota with Brent Burns at 20. I guess we shall see.

Usually by this time Cristordero or Eazy-E has received and published a top-10 from the Lightning. I'm anxious to see a list like this from the organization to get a better feel for who they may have their eye on.

I think the favorites for the #30 right now (in Feaster's view) are Schneider, Wheeler and Pineault (because Dubnyk won't be there). I still think we end up with Pineault. Any chance Pineault could have risen in the rankings may have been squashed by him leaving BC and the rumor about him stealing College ID's, which he later returned.

Rumor is, though, that as many as four of the late teams are eyeing Schneider, and your mock may pan out in that regard and he won't be there.

Last edited by Oceanic39*: 06-25-2004 at 09:21 AM.
Old
06-25-2004, 09:34 AM
petec1978*

I have Schneider gone at Edmonton's second pick from what I recall.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:15 AM
petec1978*

If Wheeler and Schneider are gone at 30 in your scenario, there is no reason not to trade down.

Pineault is a reach in round one IMO.

Old
06-25-2004, 01:49 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
The odds of getting a goalie in the first tomorrow has increased since yesterday.

The Blues traded Shawn Belle for Jason Bacashihua. That takes care of the Blues potential selection of a goalie.

Old
06-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Oceanic39*

It lessens the need, but they still may go for one. Schneider was rumored to be a target of STL.

Old
06-25-2004, 04:03 PM
petec1978*

As I recall, I had Dubnyk going to Ottawa and Schneider to Edmonton on the Oilers' second pick.

Old
06-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Oceanic39*

McKeen's (I have subscribed for one month) has a "Buyer Beware" section. Just one noteable as it pertains to prospects we've discussed:

(Jake Dole is the writer and prospects editor for McKeen's. Didn't he used to work with HF? I remember talking to him about Alexeev and other prospects.)

Berti
"He can be about as hard to move as a statue but he shows just about as much pizzaz. There are two concerns with Berti: his lack of willingness to work hard along the boards and his average hands, which will limit him offensively. If he smartens up he’ll be a capable checking player, but we don’t see much more here."

Old
06-25-2004, 05:19 PM
Oceanic39*

McKeen's labels Berti as the strongest in the draft, though.

They list a wild-card for the Lightning (IMO) Kris Chucko (2nd round) as one of two best agitators (Dane Byers the other).

Pineault is one of two listed as most likely to break out next year.

Old
06-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Oceanic39*

While I continue to add to my post count... (I'm trying to catch up to Joeminus)

... and while I'm still hung up on Pineault at 30...

McKeen's on Pineault:

Smooth, deceptively-quick first few strides .. understated quickness and acceleration for a big man .. has a bit of Lupul in terms of his skating; there are times when he appears to be losing balance only to scoot by a defender with a quick, unexpected burst .. more of a shiftier skater than a straight-ahead power skater like Stafford .. uses that Ulf Dahlen stutter-step move to freeze defenders off the rush, opening up space to use his soft hands and excellent passing skills .. sucks pucks up and makes nice soft passes .. somewhat unique skating stride makes it appear that he is sluggish, but he is an underrated skater whose acceleration and change of pace can catch defenders off-guard .. really knows how to use his body to disrupt puckcarriers .. powerful hitter who maintains strong positioning after he commits to making body contact.

Also, in their who will rise and who will fall category...

Kaspar will fall (out of first).
Churchill will rise (to third).
Wheeler will stay the same - which they have at mid-2nd. They say he's the draft's biggest wildcard, but he hasn't proven anything and teams will keep that in mind.

Pete, I saw Gabriel Bouthillette of Gatineau mentioned for the first time today. I think it was on NHL.com in a goalie article. I had mentioned him to you earlier. Big goalie. FC. Who knows if a late rounder is spent on him. I think that's highly doubtful. After taking two goalies last year and two the year before, it'd have to be a premier goalie falling in the first for TB to take one. I don't think they'll take another one late.

Last edited by Oceanic39*: 06-25-2004 at 05:36 PM.
Old
06-25-2004, 05:59 PM
exterminator-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic39
has a bit of Lupul in terms of his skating
those are Goertzen/Feaster giveaway words...

(remember if the TBL hadn't of traded the #3 overall pick two years ago, they supposedly would have picked Lupul over Pitkanen...)

...I'm beginning to think Pineault might be the odds-on favorite tomorrow...

Old
06-25-2004, 08:06 PM
petec1978*

Brian Boyle "hadn't proven anything" either last season and he was a 1st round pick in a MUCH deeper draft than this one. And Wheeler has better production as a junior than Boyle did as a senior.

Jake is... a character. You might know him better a DrChimera on these boards. For the most part I think he's a good guy although I had a run in with one of his alternate egos here on the boards once (I was told that was him under another screen name by HF management). I believe he referred to Berti as a "scout killer" at one point in time this year. He's right more often than wrong, although he disagreed with me that Phaneuf would be a top ten pick last year. Take what he says for what it is worth... one voice in the chorus that is the scouting community... and draw your own conclusions.

If they're hot for Pineault, trade down I say.

Old
06-25-2004, 09:25 PM
CROMAG

I would like for us to draft Denis Parshin. Don't care when or where just so long as we draft him this weekend. I have a good feeling that he is going to be a player.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Oceanic39*

Pretty small for Feaster's liking, I'd think, but you never know.

They passed on Hudler and O'Sullivan multiple times in the last two years.

I wouldn't mind a pure-skill guy, though. Parshin's write-up in THN says he's a guy you'd love to have on your rec team - he's a perimeter skill guy.

I think Woodlief or McKeen's said he's one of the most exciting players to watch in the draft. There's a little Norwegan that's supposed to be of the same type.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
Usually by this time Cristordero or Eazy-E has received and published a list of 10 or so potential picks for the Lightning. I'm anxious to see a list like this from the organization to get a better feel for who they may have their eye on.
Trib has theirs up. (Bolts.tbo.com) No list of prospects, though.
They also have a new Lightning header at the top of the Lightning page. About time. Worth the wait though if it meant putting "2004 Stanley Cup Champions" on it.

Feaster to move up?

Quote:

That doesn't mean, however, that Feaster will stand pat at No. 30. In the the first two drafts he ran as Lightning GM, Feaster traded out of the first round. This year, he might be looking to move up.

``We have made some inquiries as far as moving up in the first or the second round if a guy we feel strong about is still there,'' Feaster said after attending the general managers meetings Friday. ``We have a list of who we feel good about. That's where things stand now, and we'll see how it goes. But if we see somebody we really like and he's still on the board, we will be aggressive in pursuing that and step up without taking something off our roster.''
A goalie?

Quote:
What is lacking are top two- line forwards and a long-term answer in goal, despite the progress this year of 2003 picks Jonathan Boutin and Gerald Coleman.

``We are bullish on Boutin and Coleman, but it is still too early to say they are the answer,'' Feaster said. ``What we may want to look at is that and ask, who's the next guy? Who's going to be the long-term replacement for Nik Khabibulin?''
Wheeler?

Quote:
With the success of the franchise and the prospects in the minors, the Lightning can afford to take a risk pick, a long- term project who could pay big dividends.

``Could we swing from our heels aiming for the fence? Sure, in an advised sort of way,'' Feaster said.
A lot of talk about Feaster not feeling the need to acquire more picks, having picked 25 in the last two years.

Last edited by Oceanic39*: 06-25-2004 at 10:55 PM.
Old
06-25-2004, 11:59 PM
petec1978*

Quote:
``Could we swing from our heels aiming for the fence? Sure, in an advised sort of way,'' Feaster said.
God how I have waited for this day ::tear:: They're finally going to approach the draft with my philosophy: roll them dice. Roll 'em Jay.

Old
06-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
One guy who I would like to see whom we have an outside shot at drafting is Travis Zajac. A guy with size, toughness, and a scoring touch is always welcome. Plus we could save on flight costs by having reports on both Zajac and Pete's beloved Matt Smaby I'm hoping he slips down to the 30 spot.

Wheeler I'm not completely sold on. His numbers do look nice, but I don't have a good feeling about him. I think his top end potential is a 3rd liner.

Last edited by Erack82: 06-26-2004 at 08:16 AM.
Old
06-26-2004, 11:52 AM
CROMAG

Quote:
Pretty small for Feaster's liking, I'd think, but you never know.

They passed on Hudler and O'Sullivan multiple times in the last two years.

I wouldn't mind a pure-skill guy, though. Parshin's write-up in THN says he's a guy you'd love to have on your rec team - he's a perimeter skill guy.

I think Woodlief or McKeen's said he's one of the most exciting players to watch in the draft. There's a little Norwegan that's supposed to be of the same type.
I think he may be a bit like Pavel Datsyuk. About the same size too. Woodlief said he is like a master chess player in the way he sees the ice. Always knows where his pieces are and how best to use them. I believe that is who said it anyway.

Old
06-26-2004, 12:42 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 423
So much for Wheeler.

Can't believe he was taken 5th.

Old
06-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Oceanic39*

I guess Gretzky is sold on Wheeler.

My gosh.

Old
06-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Hoek

Dubnyk off the board too.

Old
06-26-2004, 08:32 PM
petec1978*

Gotta tip your cap to the 'Yotes for having the stones to make that pick. Wheeler could be another Bertuzzi... Lord knows I would've LOVED to see him in our stable.

Old
06-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
Draft wrap up:

D- Andy Rogers (1st Rd. 30th overall)
6'5" 206lbs- 8/25/86- Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
GP 64 G 1 A 3 PIM 89
What in the world? How many of these Egener clones do you need (not to mention he is a teamate of Egener)? I know it is important to have a couple in the system, but Jesus Christ we already have Egener, Smaby, Rosehill, and Greco. (not to mention Elliot too who was picked later). We had a whole slew of other potential players to pick from. Not to take anything away from Rogers, but I think we could have used that 1st rounder better.

LW- Mark Tobin (2nd Rd. 65th overall)
6'3" 204lbs- 11/26/85- Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)
GP 69 G 22 A 16 PIM 112
Not a bad pick IMO. Maybe I'm a little bias towards Rimouski, but can you blame me? We probably could have gone after a few other guys though like Gacik, my personal pick Miedl, or Alexandrov. With our success from drafting le Oceanic, why not I guess? If he develops he should be one of Tort's favs. Maybe something of a Martin Cibak?

D- Mike Lundin (4th Rd. 102nd overall)
6'3" 180lbs- 9/24/84- Maine Blackbears (HE)
GP 44 G 3 A 16 PIM 34 +/- +19
I'm actually really happy we got this kid, a guy with size, skating ability (go figure), and drumroll....yes skill! He was played in all game situations as a freshmen, and was argueably one of the best Blackbears on the ice game in and game out. Not a bad pick at all.

D- Brandon Elliott (5th Rd. 158th overall)
6'4" 225lbs- 3/8/84- Mississauga IceDogs (OHL)
GP 30 G 0 A 4 PIM 89 +/- +1
Another big defensive defensemenwith NO offense whatsoever. How many do we really need? Really?

C- Dusty Collins (5th Rd. 163rd overall)
6'3" 196lbs- 5/5/84- Northern Michigan Wildcats (CCHA)
GP 37 G 1 A 5 PIM 30 +/- +3
Another hard working guy very much like Mark Tobin, but without the Tobin's offense...scary. He has almost non-exsistent in the Super 6 tourny, I'm not sure why they decided on Collins, I have seen him on a regular basis and I don't think he was worthy of a 5th round pick. Size/skating ability....I guess it makes sense in Feasters eyes.

D- Jan Zapletal (6th Rd. 188th overall)
6'3" 187lbs- 8/21/86- Vsetin Jr. U-20 (CZ Jr.)
GP 51 G 2 A 4 PIM 26 +/- -2
A huge project IMO. Already playing a regular shift in the U-20 league as a 17 year old. Not bad to start with.

G- Karri Ramo (6th Rd. 191st overall)
6'2" 192lbs- 7/1/86- Pelicans Jr. A (FIN Jr.A)
GP 18 GAA 3.31 SV% .907
With the emergance of Kiprusoff, Toskala, and others. The new goalie factory seems to be coming from Finland. Looks he absolutely got shelled in his 3 apperences in the SM-Liiga. Posting a GAA of 4.34 and SV% of .861. Another long term project, not a bad pick in the 6th round, seems to be a bit of a gamble but I like it.

LW- Justin Keller (8th Rd. 245th overall)
5'11" 185lbs- 3/4/1986- Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
GP 72 G 24 A 21 PIM 44
Seems like a slender kid, nice totals for a 86', especially for an undersized player in the WHL. Seems like a steal in the 8th round.

Last edited by Erack82: 06-27-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old
06-27-2004, 11:18 AM
CROMAG

How did we get those extra picks? I really hope we didn't trade picks from next year for this year.

Old
06-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erack82
Draft wrap up:
LW- Justin Keller (8th Rd. 245th overall)
5'11" 185lbs- 3/4/1986- Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
GP 72 G 24 A 21 PIM 44
Seems like a slender kid, nice totals for a 86', especially for an undersized player in the WHL. Seems like a steal in the 8th round.
Wonderful hands, not much else. Dealt really well with the pressure of being a rookie on a high-profile team. 45 points in Kelowna this year is 60+ on a more freewheeling team. You really don't want him handling the puck in his own end, though.

Closed Thread