HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Erack82

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Erack82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad
Wonderful hands, not much else. Dealt really well with the pressure of being a rookie on a high-profile team. 45 points in Kelowna this year is 60+ on a more freewheeling team. You really don't want him handling the puck in his own end, though.
I have read from a couple reports that he is sound defensively. A kid who has excellent wheels and is coachable, also one of the best players in the Memorial Cup. Either way he is an excellent pick up for a 8th rounder.

With that said, not that it matters much right now I give the Lightning a C+/B- for the draft. Of course we will have to wait a couple years and see how each player develops. But this years crop doesn't really excite me. I think we could have better utilized the 1st and 2nd rounders. Collins and Elliott are wastes of picks IMO, but I'm hoping they can make me eat my words in the future. Zapatel I really don't have an opinion on right now. I may be off base, but the name Marek Preichodsky comes to mind (yes even though he is Slovakian). I do like the fact that we ventured overseas to select a goalie from Finland.

Last edited by Erack82: 06-27-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old
06-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Hoek

Finnish goaltenders are quickly building a rep for themselves so it's pretty smart to jump on that bandwagon. I give the Bolts a solid C/C+. They didn't do anything all that exciting but they didn't draft some total stiffs or do anything crazy stupid either. Just gotta roll the dice and see what pans out. It was hard to do anything that great this year, but we kept the pipeline flowing. It seems like any reasonably talented prospect develops into a keeper when you have a championship caliber team, anyway.

Should be fun watching some of the Hockey East games I get up at school in Massachusetts on NESN now that I have a prospect to root for. Go Lundin!

Last edited by Hoek: 06-27-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old
06-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Oceanic39*

I tried to get on HF all day yesterday without much luck.

My thoughts are close to yours, Erack.

Rogers: Again, taking nothing away from him, I'm not sure on the "need" for a player like this. I like his upside, but a guy you HOPE to crack your top-4 isn't usually a first rounder. First rounders are top-2/3 guys. I like the kid, though.

Tobin: Of course I'm happy because he's from L'Oceanic. I think of him as a 2/3 line tweener in the future. I'm thinking Modin without the offensive creativity and shot and/or Afanasenkov (drive) again, without the raw offensive skills, but more size and physicality.

Lundin: I really like this pick. A good sleeper to pick up as he expected to go in the 2nd round. He plans on spending all four years at Maine. At the end, who knows, he could be a top-5 TB prospect then.

Elliott: Why the heck we traded to get this pick is beyond me. I haven't confirmed if he was injured or not, but he only played in 1/2 his teams' games in both the RS and PO... and he's a full two years older than Keller. Seems like a big, ol' mean 6/7 dman as upside. Eric Cairns without the turnovers? I don't like this pick at all. Now, that could change depending on their plans for him. If he's a big, mean dman who likes to fight and skates relatively well, Jay/Jake may envision him as a 4th line grinder/enforcer.

Collins: If you've seen him play a lot, Erack, then I'll go with whatever you say. On paper, it doesn't look like a great pick. If they are thinking 4th line banger in the future, fine. I'm not thrilled with this one.

Zapletal: Project, project, project. He was only made a dman last summer, yet was playing internationally at the position for the CR. Not bad. Let him develop a few years and perhaps he turns into a fine 3rd pair guy. I don't mind this pick at all. Moderate risk, moderate reward. There's a chance he gets taken in the CHL import draft and comes over. I'm hoping for that.

Ramo: I like the pick. The Pelicans were the worst team in the SM-Liga last year, so I'm not going to be critical of his numbers. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does the next few years. More quality from quantity in terms of goaltenders.

Keller: I love this pick, just because it seems unlike Feaster/Jake. They usually go big North American (Reid, Tarnasky, Hrdel) or skilled Euro (Vishnyakov, Gloukhov, Dainilicis) late. To take a small, skilled NA like Keller is intriguing. I like the overlooked small NA player that can put up points - especially in the WHL. I'm very much looking forward to following this kid next year. I hope with Habshield and Guard leaving Kelowna, that they'll go to a more offensive system. At the least, Keller could be a guy who is among our AHL affiliates leading scorers in the future. At most, he can land a spot on one of the top two lines due to his shot/skill.

Last edited by Oceanic39*: 06-27-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old
06-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Pekka Lampinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erack82
G- Karri Ramo (6th Rd. 191st overall)
6'2" 192lbs- 7/1/86- Pelicans Jr. A (FIN Jr.A)
GP 18 GAA 3.31 SV% .907
With the emergance of Kiprusoff, Toskala, and others. The new goalie factory seems to be coming from Finland. Looks he absolutely got shelled in his 3 apperences in the SM-Liiga. Posting a GAA of 4.34 and SV% of .861. Another long term project, not a bad pick in the 6th round, seems to be a bit of a gamble but I like it.
An excellent goalie in Aleksis Ahlqvist went undrafted and I'm taking it out on the Bolts, another team whose scouts didn't bother to go farther than the U18 WC. Rämö has nothing on Ahlqvist except butterfly coverage. Rämö is not a bad pick at the end of the sixth, but not the best either. He needs to get his technique all together soon.

Old
06-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Oceanic39*

Isn't he the guy who was beat out for Finland's national team by Tuukka Rask and Ramo?

Did you write the HF write-up on him? It wasn't very complimentary of Ahlqvist. Ramo's bigger and plays butterfly - both of which is favored by TB, especially Goalie Coach Jeff Reese. In that sense, I'm not surprised they passed on the a 6' stand-up guy in Ahlqvist.

Old
06-27-2004, 03:34 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROMAG
How did we get those extra picks? I really hope we didn't trade picks from next year for this year.
TB #3 in 2005 to Philly for those 3 picks (1 in 5th, two in 6th).

Old
06-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Pekka Lampinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic39
Isn't he the guy who was beat out for Finland's national team by Tuukka Rask and Ramo?
Ayup. Being second to Rask isn't much short of an honor, and I found the choice for backup a little weird. It doesn't mean much, though, two years ago Tommi Tervo and Hannu Toivonen split duties (with Tervo lightly favored). Soon after Toivonen was picked in the first round and Tervo, undrafted, wasn't in anybody's future plans in Finland and still isn't.

Quote:
Did you write the HF write-up on him? It wasn't very complimentary of Ahlqvist. Ramo's bigger and plays butterfly - both of which is favored by TB, especially Goalie Coach Jeff Reese. In that sense, I'm not surprised they passed on the a 6' stand-up guy in Ahlqvist.
I've noticed I focus more on weaknesses than others. I bet Tampa's preference of big butterflies works fine, but that means they can't get them all right.

Rämö's environment isn't good. He hasn't been able to play solid seasons with the lacking Pelicans junior teams and that will take a turn for even worse in SM-Liiga. The odds of being adopted by a stronger organizations are against him. That won't work well for him even if he plays well.

Old
06-27-2004, 06:02 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
i wouldn't be too excited over keller imo, like lard lad said he's got deadly hands, even a very good wrist shot, but not much else. he can be bullied off the puck in all three zones easily enough, isn't very good defensively (decent enough positionally but awful physically), a true peremiter player..

i wouldn't expect much

Old
06-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Upchuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erack82

LW- Justin Keller (8th Rd. 245th overall)
5'11" 185lbs- 3/4/1986- Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
GP 72 G 24 A 21 PIM 44
Seems like a slender kid, nice totals for a 86', especially for an undersized player in the WHL. Seems like a steal in the 8th round.
With the way Keller played in the Memorial Cup, scoring the Cup winning goal, I thought his stock rose higher than 8th round.

This is a steal for the Bolts, Keller was a rookie in the WHL this year and was under alot of pressure to score on a defensive team. Kelowna will be more offensive next year with ten seventeen year olds getting one more year older.

In that Memorial Cup final game Keller hit the post a couple times and he elevated his game in the most important game any of those guys ever played.

I'll keep you guys updated on his progress!

Old
06-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Upchuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
i wouldn't be too excited over keller imo, like lard lad said he's got deadly hands, even a very good wrist shot, but not much else. he can be bullied off the puck in all three zones easily enough, isn't very good defensively (decent enough positionally but awful physically), a true peremiter player..

i wouldn't expect much
Don't forget he's just 17 yrs old, there is lots of time to hit the weights. I have watched almost every game in Kelowna this year and he gets his nose dirty.

I wouldn't call him a "peremiter player" at all.

Old
06-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19
Don't forget he's just 17 yrs old, there is lots of time to hit the weights. I have watched almost every game in Kelowna this year and he gets his nose dirty.

I wouldn't call him a "peremiter player" at all.
That's the same response I got from a Kelowna guy when I posed the question to him.

Any chance that Kelowna opens up their play a little with Habschied gone?

Last edited by Oceanic39*: 07-03-2004 at 12:20 AM.
Old
06-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19
I'll keep you guys updated on his progress!
Please do!

Old
06-29-2004, 12:11 AM
missK

OT - not our draft pick but good Lightning story...

Well, here's some cool info I found! Turns out Chris Bourque's favorite player and the player he wants to emulate is Marty St. Louis. Well, Marty found this out and called Chris Bourque's cell at the draft to wish him good luck! That's the Marty we all know and love!!!

Bourque story

Old
06-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Upchuck19

Quote:
That's the same response I got from a Kelowna guy when I posed the question to him.

Any chance that Kelowna opens up their play a little with Habshield gone?
Kelowna 03/04 played a very strong defensive system because the Rockets were very young and not much for offensive potential. Rockets 02/03 team went to the Memorial Cup finishing third with plenty offensive threats and sound defensive team.

Under new head coach Jeff Truit the 04/05 team will be very sound defensively, but with his young guys like Keller, with play a more offensive system. Last year Kelowna had ten 16 and 17 yr olds and we still won the Memorial Cup, just wait until the young guys like Keller learn the game over the next two years!

Old
07-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Gilgames

Here are some stats of Karri Ramo. I didn't put the SM-liiga stats here because someone already did it. Pelcans' last season was a total disaster so it wasn't easy for Karri to play. He actually played two good games (even was the MVP in the other one), but the third one didn't go as well as the others so that is why his stats aren't too good. He played last season mostly in Pelicans A-junior team, but had a chance to show his skills in SM-liiga also. K-Reipas is a part of the Pelicans organisation so that's why Karri played there too. Next season he will play for the Pelicans A-junior team but after that its all open.

Karri Ramo 2003-2004
Team______G____MIN____GA___SA____SO__W__T__L__GAA_ ___S%
Pelicans__18__960.00__53___517___0___5 2__9__3,31__90,70 (A-juniors)
Pelicans__2___120.00__1____66____1___2__0__0__0,50 __98,51 (A-junior relegation playoffs)
K-Reipas__3___180.00__7____82____0___3__0__0__2,33__ 92,13 (B-juniors)
K-Reipas__5___267.55__10___138___0___2__0__2__2,24__ 93,24 (B-junior playoffs)

A-junior level = U-20
B-junior level = U-18
Team are allowed to use couple of over aged (U-21/U-19) players.

Old
07-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Collins: If you've seen him play a lot, Erack, then I'll go with whatever you say. On paper, it doesn't look like a great pick. If they are thinking 4th line banger in the future, fine. I'm not thrilled with this one.
I saw Collins play once this year. He's big and physical and will hit in open ice, an only average skater, and no offensive game at all. Not even a very good puckhandler. I wouldn't have taken him before the eighth round. Was very surprised to see him go sooner. Just like I was surprised to see his teammate Darin Olver go to the Rangers so high. Both should have been lower picks. Walt Kyle can only do so much.

Old
07-03-2004, 07:35 AM
Oceanic39*

HF Lightning Draft Review

New top-20 coming after the holiday.

Old
07-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Sotnos

Very nice job!

I guess we're all still wondering why Elliott was chosen.

I've had more than one person tell me how much they like Rogers, so I'm feeling better and better about that pick.

Old
07-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Oceanic39*

Mississauga's online newspaper had a little write up about the Ice Dogs that were drafted and all they could say about Elliott was what a surprise he was drafted. And we took him in the 5th.

Confusing, but I did hear from one fight fan that Elliott was a good enforcer prospect.

Old
07-03-2004, 02:47 PM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Nice work, Chad.

The more I hear about Lundin, the more I like him. On the other hand, I'd rather have the 3rd in 2005 than Elliott, Collins and Zapletal. Oh well.

Old
07-05-2004, 08:25 AM
Erack82

Send a message via AIM to Erack82
Quote:
Mississauga's online newspaper had a little write up about the Ice Dogs that were drafted and all they could say about Elliott was what a surprise he was drafted. And we took him in the 5th.

Confusing, but I did hear from one fight fan that Elliott was a good enforcer prospect.
I think that is all he has going for him. My guess is that he must have really pounded on some guys when the Lightning scouts were watching. Could have been what cought their eyes?

Old
07-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Quote:

Any chance that Kelowna opens up their play a little with Habschied gone?
I wouldn't expect the team to shift from the very successful defensive philosphies from the last several years; The Rockets franchise had never been past the 1st round of the play-offs until Habschied arrived. The new head coach, Jeff Truit, has also been one of the assistant coach for the Rockets since Habschied has been there, so I wouldn't expect many drastic changes.

The team should be better offensively but I think it'll be more because the players will be better than because of a change in playing style.

Closed Thread