Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blow it up

Old
10-31-2010, 08:47 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
A loss is a loss, The score becomes irrelevant as soon as the game ends.

I am willing to give this team more than 11 games to consider BLOWING THEM UP!!!!.

Seriously at times this year the Flames have looked liked a cup contending team, while at others it has looked like a bottom feeder.

Consistency/Mental Toughness is the teams biggest problem right now, At some point changes need to be made yes, but only if the team is sitting out of playoff contention come deadline time IMO.

Maybe this team figures things out, Maybe they dont but an 11 game sample size is simply not enough.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I'm sure Brent will be fired by his bro before any more drastic measures are taken. Hell, Brent fired Brian in Red Deer (I believe) so I don't think Darryl will stay loyal at the cost of his own job.

The team has worthwhile rookies who look ready to play in Backlund and Brodie (Brodie SHOULD be up with the Flames IMO). Bourque continues to be worth the dough. Tanguay and Morrison have been nice picks out of the bargain bin. AND there have been some pretty major injuries to deal with.

If any revamping takes place it'll likely be in the offseason. There could be major turnover on the blueline. If that's the case I would imagine there'll be someone new in the GM chair by then.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 12:56 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

Consistency/Mental Toughness is the teams biggest problem right now, At some point changes need to be made yes, but only if the team is sitting out of playoff contention come deadline time IMO.
Actually the team has had this issue for the past several years now if you consider all the threads talking about consistency over the last few seasons.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 12:59 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:

I am willing to give this team more than 11 games to consider BLOWING THEM UP!!!!.

Seriously at times this year the Flames have looked liked a cup contending team, while at others it has looked like a bottom feeder.

Maybe this team figures things out, Maybe they dont but an 11 game sample size is simply not enough.
At no point has this team resembled anything close to a Cup contender. The best win of the year came against a San Jose team that barely looked interested and got crappy goaltending. They've been lucky to beat the oilers twice, and Colorado embarrassed them the other night.

The fact is, most nights this team struggles to look like an actual NHL team. They rarely attack through the neutral zone with speed, Tim Jackman has consistently been one of the best forwards, and defensive zone coverage breaks down when they face any group of fast forwards. The flames are struggling to keep up with Edmonton and Colorado; we don't even have to wait and see what happens when they meet up with fast skill teams like Washington, Vancouver, or Chicago. They get worked.

Chicago has owned us for the last three years, and that's when Calgary had, in the words of the captain, 'the most talented team he's ever been a part of'. So now that that team is two years older and visibly less competent than the team of two years ago, in addition to being minus Cammalleri and a first round pick, how Is this the year they 'surprise' people? Because everyone in the NHL knows what the flames are, and they aren't impressed.

The team has very attractive, moveable assets. Regehr, iginla, white, hagman, tanguay can all bring great returns for the rebuilding process. Iginla is worth at least a first round pick and a blue chip prospect. Regehr is worth a good prospect. White is good for at least a second rounder. Tangs and hagman and even jokinen should can all return 2nd/3rd round picks. So by moving out six players, we could have three first round picks, 2 seconds and 2 thirds. Adding six picks to the first 90 spots in the draft goes a long way to speeding up this frsnchise's return to relevance, especially considering the talent on prospect pool's blue line, and considering we still have kiprusoff.

Blowing it up isn't a bad thing; the night is always darkest before the dawn folks

HarrySPlinkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 01:09 AM
flames123

Being a fan of a Canadian team has pros and cons.

The con would be having to put up with this **** even though we are 11 games in, 2 games over .500 and leading the divison. Give it a freaking break and calm down. It's just a game.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 03:14 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I love how people have selective reading and only hear what they want to. Obviously its concerning that the Flames got blown out, yet again. But the way this team is built they are basically all in, and it is win now or not at all. If we are in a playoff position or challenging for the division then I think they should ride this group and see how far they can go. But if we are out of a playoff spot, then I think drastic changes need to be made. As far as the timing for me posting the thread, no its not sheer coincidence that I posted this, the way the Flames lost yesterday is alarming and I think its realistic that this team may not make it into the post season.

If you don't think the thread should exist, then don't post in it.
not more alarming that the Hawks being blown out by the Oilers... I suppose they should blow it up too

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 06:36 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
not more alarming that the Hawks being blown out by the Oilers... I suppose they should blow it up too
Lol, Jarome and Reggie for Toews!

CPRSRPUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRSRPUNKS View Post
Lol, Jarome and Reggie for Toews!
First proposal ever that didn't include a second round pick.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:24 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Way too early for this thread. Although believe me, I understand the frustration. I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to have to coach this team.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Brian Huddle
Future Consideration

Half of the Flames have NTCs.

Hate to say it-- but this could be a situation similar to Toronto when they had the "Muskoka 5".

Brian Huddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:31 AM
Qubax

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post

The con would be having to put up with this **** even though we are 11 games in, 2 games over .500 and leading the divison. Give it a freaking break and calm down. It's just a game.
one game over .500 and 2nd in the division...

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:01 AM
flamesfan5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post

Actually were NOT leading are division. I will agree that Flames have looked sloppy at times. How ever the Caps were a good looking team on Saturday. Ovenckin had a couple rough games and he was bound for a break out game. Sucks that it had to be against the Flames but we lacked any skill on defence and let him play his game. A good test is agaisnt Detroit next, see how they bounce back!!

flamesfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:

I totally agree with this post. Yes it is early, but my whole point was is this year to remodel the team if we are sitting out of a playoff spot come deadline time. If the Flames can get some consistency going they will be able to be a playoff team. If they can't, I fear that it is going to be a long season in Calgary.

Quote:
I realize you are using your usual sarcasim, but try using a relevant comparasion. The Flames are a team that are on the verge of having their window closed to be a legit contender. And while it is not uncommon that any good team can crap the bed an "occasional" game here or there, its happened 3 times already this season. So while its only 11 games into season, I think people should start to prepare for what will likely happen if this continues. This team is on a very short leesh.

And didn't you say in the Flames/Caps thread following the game that you wouldn't be opposed to a shakeup with this team? So why now does it seem as though you are against it? I think if anything is going to be done it should be done at the deadline. By then we will know what kind of team we are dealing with, and if it is to be blown up the players value will be at their peak and we will get the best return for them.

I am still somewhat optimistic that we will be a playoff team. There is still some definite skill on our team and we have been very good at times and our defence has looked amazing this season except for the last game. I would like to see Iggy remain a Flame until he retires, so I hope they can get it going. But you have to do what is best for the organization, we got Iginla and Regehr from trading away franchise players, we may need to use those same players to repeat history.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:11 AM
The Gnome

refering to Iginla:

If he plays the next two months with the same level of passion I think moving him would be great for calgary and iggy. Obviously he wants/deserves a shot at the cup, and calgary needs to have players who are consistent and bring intensity every night.

Clearly, right now, it looks like Iginla isn't interested. Regardless of his usual slow starts, he seems as though he's not very happy to lace up the skates with this team anymore. But it's only 11 games, hopefully he can make more of an impact going forward. If not I want him moved, not just for the team, but for iggy as well. The guy deserves a legit shot at the cup and to play with elite linemates. Something Sutter has not been able to provide him with.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
blah blah 1000 words of garbage just to hear myself talk and not make any decent points
clearly you missed my point... a cup contender was hammered by a bottom feeder... we a bubble team were hammered by a cup contender... which is worse?... get a clue

Old
11-01-2010, 10:39 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
The Hawks' best players are all under the age of 27 (Minus Hossa) and locked up to cap-friendly deals. Oh, and they've actually won something.

The Flames are paying Iginla 7M; he's 33 and he's being outplayed by Brendan Morrison, who's making 750K, Alex Tanguay, who's making 1.75, and Rene Bourque, who's making 3M. And while it's great to see Tangs and Morrison having good starts to the year, Tangs is 31 and Morrison is 35. It's yet another Sutter experiment with 1-year rentals who he isn't likely to bring back.

So what happens next year? Do the Flames go out and give a close-to-32 year old Brad Richards 6.5M to come in and force the puck to Iginla on every rush? Because Stajan and Tanguay (Who's actually doing a good job of NOT doing this) are getting Iginla the puck plenty; he just happens to be beyond the circle and in no position to score.

You blow this team up because it doesn't have a true franchise player anymore, and it's not looking like it's gonna happen any time soon. And Luna, 'face of the franchise' and 'franchise player' are not the same thing, so please don't argue that.

Old
11-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
The Hawks' best players are all under the age of 27 (Minus Hossa) and locked up to cap-friendly deals. Oh, and they've actually won something.

The Flames are paying Iginla 7M; he's 33 and he's being outplayed by Brendan Morrison, who's making 750K, Alex Tanguay, who's making 1.75, and Rene Bourque, who's making 3M. And while it's great to see Tangs and Morrison having good starts to the year, Tangs is 31 and Morrison is 35. It's yet another Sutter experiment with 1-year rentals who he isn't likely to bring back.

So what happens next year? Do the Flames go out and give a close-to-32 year old Brad Richards 6.5M to come in and force the puck to Iginla on every rush? Because Stajan and Tanguay (Who's actually doing a good job of NOT doing this) are getting Iginla the puck plenty; he just happens to be beyond the circle and in no position to score.

You blow this team up because it doesn't have a true franchise player anymore, and it's not looking like it's gonna happen any time soon. And Luna, 'face of the franchise' and 'franchise player' are not the same thing, so please don't argue that.
why do you reply to me? your opinion to me is about as legitimate as a $3 bill... you are nothing more than a troll who shows up after a loss

at least MVW is an actual fan

Old
11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
clearly you missed my point... a cup contender was hammered by a bottom feeder... we a bubble team were hammered by a cup contender... which is worse?... get a clue
No I got your point, I just think your example was comparing apples to oranges.

Anyways, it is very early in the season. My only intention for posting the thread was is this the year to do it if we are out of a playoff spot? Time will tell.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 11:32 AM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
why do you reply to me? your opinion to me is about as legitimate as a $3 bill... you are nothing more than a troll who shows up after a loss

at least MVW is an actual fan
And you're a myopic True Fan who'd insist that Iginla just needed a centreman to be a shoe-in for the Cup after he came off a 20 point season at age 42. Never mind that you haven't responded to a point I've made in months, resorting instead to calling me a troll.

Old
11-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
And you're a myopic True Fan who'd insist that Iginla just needed a centreman to be a shoe-in for the Cup after he came off a 20 point season at age 42. Never mind that you haven't responded to a point I've made in months, resorting instead to calling me a troll.
thats because you troll and aren't worth replying to

and find 1 post anywhere where I have said Iginla needs a true #1 center?... I've never said it actually

and I'm not opposed to rebuilding... I am just intelligent enough to know its not going to happen right now

Old
11-01-2010, 01:05 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
thats because you troll and aren't worth replying to

and find 1 post anywhere where I have said Iginla needs a true #1 center?... I've never said it actually

and I'm not opposed to rebuilding... I am just intelligent enough to know its not going to happen right now
Find me a post where I state I KNOW the team is rebuilding. I have been arguing for it for 8 months, which is something completely different.

Furthermore, I don't know how I'm a troll for saying that three players who combine to make 1.5 million less than our 'franchise' player are noticably outplaying him

Old
11-01-2010, 01:07 PM
pullyoursocksup

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
Firstly, those rumours are on ly on the Calagry posting boards. In reality, the Kings have no desire to add an aging vertern with close to 3 years and $21M left on his contract. They passed on Kovy so they would have enough money to afford their young (soon to be more expensive) core. And Koy id yoiunger and quite a bit better than Iggy.

Secondly, players with expiring contracts peak in value at the deadline. Iggy will have 2+ years left at $7M per. Not many teams could take on that committment, even if they wanted to.
im not a flames fan and yes the kings would definitely have interest in Iginla. their window is not as big as many think as doughty, johnsons contracts are up, along with pretty much all of their depth up front. I would not be surprised at all to see them buy up big at the deadline to try to push for the cup. the fact that iginla is signed for multiple years doesnt hurt them as vets like ponikarovsky, handzus, williams' contracts are up and they could make it work.

pullyoursocksup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Find me a post where I state I KNOW the team is rebuilding. I have been arguing for it for 8 months, which is something completely different.

Furthermore, I don't know how I'm a troll for saying that three players who combine to make 1.5 million less than our 'franchise' player are noticably outplaying him
the trolling comes from you only appearing after a loss... and you only say negative things... I'm sorry but any real fan will have osmething good to say every now and then and you never do

Old
11-01-2010, 03:32 PM
HarrySPlinkett
Not a film critic

Quote:
the trolling comes from you only appearing after a loss... and you only say negative things... I'm sorry but any real fan will have osmething good to say every now and then and you never do
Tangs and Morrison are playing lights-out hockey and have been great additions.

Giordano looks like our best defender for the third straight year.

Backlund looks like he's gonna be a dynamite playmaker around here for the next 10 years.

Tim Jackman has made a believer out of me; he's potentially more effective than Prust. I like him.

Bourque isn't just taking it easy with his 18M dollar contract in hand; he's still bringing it like he's playing for an extension.

Jay-Bo is going to have a much better offensive year if he keeps jumping into the rushes the way he has been. Also, it's great to see him stepping into people with some regularity; maybe Peca calling him out was a good thing.

The good things are overshadowed, however, by some glaring deficiencies, particularly when it comes to Iginla's effort level and the overall speed with which the team attacks. Two of the fastest defensemen in the league are on our team, and the team still traverses the neutral zone like they're skating through mud, especially on the power play. That bothers me. A bunch of things, that I've made perfectly clear, bother me about this team. And all I'm doing is suggesting ways to fix those issues.

Old
11-01-2010, 03:55 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Tangs and Morrison are playing lights-out hockey and have been great additions.

Giordano looks like our best defender for the third straight year.

Backlund looks like he's gonna be a dynamite playmaker around here for the next 10 years.

Tim Jackman has made a believer out of me; he's potentially more effective than Prust. I like him.

Bourque isn't just taking it easy with his 18M dollar contract in hand; he's still bringing it like he's playing for an extension.

Jay-Bo is going to have a much better offensive year if he keeps jumping into the rushes the way he has been. Also, it's great to see him stepping into people with some regularity; maybe Peca calling him out was a good thing.

The good things are overshadowed, however, by some glaring deficiencies, particularly when it comes to Iginla's effort level and the overall speed with which the team attacks. Two of the fastest defensemen in the league are on our team, and the team still traverses the neutral zone like they're skating through mud, especially on the power play. That bothers me. A bunch of things, that I've made perfectly clear, bother me about this team. And all I'm doing is suggesting ways to fix those issues.
Not to totally side track this thread.

But I completly agree with you on the bolded points. I really wouldn't think the need for a "blow up" thread would exist if this team learned how to handle themselves better in transition and the neutral zone. The talent is there, but the IQ just is not.

Jay-bo has really elevated his grit with some hard hits the last few games. Hope to see even more of it as he is more than capable.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote