HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Man Hates Bieksa to New Extremes

Old
10-31-2010, 04:51 PM
just22
meat and taters

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
yeah, thats a great way to "judge" the "value" of someone. what a suckers game youve boughten into.

if i was Bieksa, id start working on my game more instead of tweeting.
oh my god it was just a joke, don't take things so seriously...

and if you knew Bieksa, he'd tell you he doesn't need to change his game

just22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:53 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
If you prefer scintillating humour and incisive analysis, read my posts.
Your critiques come off as a little sad, considering the only person less funny than them... is you.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:54 PM
wholesickcrew

Clearly satire, and I for one found it amusing.

wholesickcrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 04:59 PM
tesplen

Wow. So many of you got don't get jokes.

As stated, it's satire, and really obvious satire at that. For shame.

Now let's watch all of you desperately try to save face by passing off the article as unfunny trash that has somehow personally offended you. LOL! Lighten up!

tesplen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesplen View Post
Wow. So many of you got don't get jokes.

As stated, it's satire, and really obvious satire at that. For shame.

Now let's watch all of you desperately try to save face by passing off the article as unfunny trash that has somehow personally offended you. LOL! Lighten up!
Maybe some of us just have higher standards for what we think is funny.

Old
10-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

I thought satire was supposed to be funny.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Proto

Ernie is blessed by living on the same internet as The Onion. If he was walking down the street he wouldn't look twice at this KurtenBlog article.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:14 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
I thank God for The Onion, without them world would never have evolved past puns and double entendres. Now if only someone would invent black comedy.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:22 PM
rebel diamond

It was a piece of middling satire, not laugh out loud funny and certainly not a risky target, but it conveyed its point in a rather amusing fashion. That being said, they clearly took a lot of inspiration from the way The Onion often sets up their stories, which is hardly surprising since they are one of the most well-known satire-news sources.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Ernie

well, I guess I was wrong. Looks like The Province hit a home run here, they've finally dumbed down their content to the level of their readership. Great job.

Old
10-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Clearly satire, and I for one found it amusing.
Truly a sad commentary.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
I thought satire was supposed to be funny.
It is and this was not so...

Old
10-31-2010, 05:46 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
When did I say that?

The way this was written was a direct copy of the way The Onion sets up stories.. create a story about an individual who seems unreasonable but somewhat sympathetic, but then make him more and more farcical as things go on.

That's just lazy writing.

And lazy publishing, from The Province's perspective.
I disagree. There are certain similarities but it's no more a copy of the The Onion than The Onion itself is just a stylized form of the "mockumentary" genre, which has been around for more than half a century.

Most satirical pieces start out semi-reasonable and get more and more absurd as they progress. This is so they can draw you in and get you to believe the premise off the start before tearing down the walls that make the story believable.

CloutierForVezina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

I wasn't sure if it was a joke post/satire until I reached the part about his friend talking about trying to pick up girls and having him kill it by talking about his +/-.

purely because people trying to pick up at girls probably wouldn't release their full names and then beak their friends over the internet

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
I disagree. There are certain similarities but it's no more a copy of the The Onion than The Onion itself is just a stylized form of the "mockumentary" genre, which has been around for more than half a century.

Most satirical pieces start out semi-reasonable and get more and more absurd as they progress. This is so they can draw you in and get you to believe the premise off the start before tearing down the walls that make the story believable.
Well my comment is that it was very derivative, and not in a good way.

If you read this story and knew it was satire going in, it just doesn't stand up, unlike with the Onion's content. What's next? Will the Province write a breaking news story, but then at the end tell everyone it's just a dream the writer had?

IT WOULD BE HILARIOUS BECAUSE PEOPLE WOULD BELIEVE IT HAHA.

Old
10-31-2010, 06:57 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Proposal: Bieksa and Kurtenblog to Toronto for Down Goes Brown and a first-rounder.
Ugh, DGB is just as bad, most of his stuff is dull lists a la a Letterman Top 10. He was funny at one point, but its not what it was.

As for this article, its hardly brilliant satire, but the joke is on the people that responded to it in earnest and jumped to conclusions.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:24 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Truly a sad commentary.
Why? The piece actually had people defending Bieksa, even while admitting he's the "easy target." Instead, the piece targeted the average reader and even seemed to reverse the opinion we often see in here. I didn't laugh out loud, I didn't pass it on to a friend, but I found it amusing.

wholesickcrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:24 PM
Canucks5551

Wetcoaster is the last person who should be criticizing others on their humour. I don't think I've ever found one of his "jokes" funny.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
Wetcoaster is the last person who should be criticizing others on their humour. I don't think I've ever found one of his "jokes" funny.
Obviously you do not appreciate sophisticated humour so the Kurtenbloggers should be a good fit.

Old
10-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Canucks5551

Quote:
Obviously you do not appreciate sophisticated humour so the Kurtenbloggers should be a good fit.
I don't like the Kurtenblog either, but I hardly consider Wellwood fat jokes to be the epitome of sophistication.

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Lard_Lad

Wait, I think I've got this figured out. We're not seeing the depth here. It's satire, but it's not satirizing obssessive fan criticism of players. That'd be unoriginal and lame.

The actual target is amateur bloggers who, upon getting some 'official' attention, turn on their fellow fans and start taking cheap shots at them. These sad, insecure souls feel the need to underline their own witty brilliance by drawing a sharp divide between themselves and the clueless rabble they spawned from. Because if they didn't, hey, people might not be able to tell the difference between the two.

This article itself, then, is a mocking parody of the sort of ham-fisted, unfunny garbage that sort of hack would come up with. It's brilliantly avant-garde stuff like this that sets the Kurtenbloggers apart from the rest of the hockey-blogging world.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 08:41 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjerrisgaard View Post
Jesus,

I mean KB's not playing well but this guy is a freaking nut job.
It's sad but that's how a lot of Canuck fans talk about Bieksa on this forum.

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideHerHard View Post
It's sad but that's how a lot of Canuck fans talk about Bieksa on this forum.
Obvious satire, but it misses the mark. It's not like Bieksa should be immune to criticism. He's an offensive D-man and has no points on the season, so there are legit reasons to criticize his play.

However, I do get what they were trying to say, (especially with the get rid of Demitra jab at the end). They are suggesting that the fans that are most one-sided (unable to give credit when due) and vocal against Bieksa's presence on the team are also generally the ones that don't pay very close attention to the team, the defense, or other games in the NHL, or are simply irrational. It's also true that there are some posters on this board and CDC and newspaper comment sections whose sole obsession seems to be that one player, and spamming their opinion of him wherever they can. The trade rumor part of this forum was filled with Bieksa proposal threads over the summer. Sure, they had material to work with here, but I think it mostly fell flat.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Slow news days with no games for 6 days...
Bingo.

Old
11-01-2010, 01:22 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheavyhookjaw View Post
As for this article, its hardly brilliant satire, but the joke is on the people that responded to it in earnest and jumped to conclusions.
Yep, totally agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
The actual target is amateur bloggers who, upon getting some 'official' attention, turn on their fellow fans and start taking cheap shots at them. These sad, insecure souls feel the need to underline their own witty brilliance by drawing a sharp divide between themselves and the clueless rabble they spawned from. Because if they didn't, hey, people might not be able to tell the difference between the two.

This article itself, then, is a mocking parody of the sort of ham-fisted, unfunny garbage that sort of hack would come up with. It's brilliantly avant-garde stuff like this that sets the Kurtenbloggers apart from the rest of the hockey-blogging world.
In all seriousness that sort of approach is begging to be lampooned. Rightfully or not, "CDC" is synonymous with incoherent garbage on this and other fine Canucks message boards, and of course there are several other examples of snobbery towards other members of the fan base.

(I'm sure other fanbases have similar divisions as well.)

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote