HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salary Cap Expected to Go Up?

Old
11-02-2010, 07:03 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Salary Cap Expected to Go Up?

Quote:
First of all, NHL revenues should slightly go up next season if the economy continues to improve. More importantly, a new U.S. television deal should be struck early next year. If the additional television revenue is pumped directly into the salary-cap number, the salary cap is expected to rise by at least $3.5-$4.5 million, since the new television deal should increase by at least $100 million a season. This will help give teams like the Devils some salary-cap solace.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/pa...course-staches

This definitely bodes well for the Flyers if it happens, with Carter and Giroux both RFA's this could allow us some much needed cap relief

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/pa...course-staches

This definitely bodes well for the Flyers if it happens, with Carter and Giroux both RFA's this could allow us some much needed cap relief
I figure we need around $13m freedom for Carter, Giroux, and Leino, so I'm dividing them this way: 6.00 for Carter, 4.00 for Giroux, and 3.00 for Leino.

vanRiemsdyk (0.88) - Richards (5.75) - Giroux (4.00)
Hartnell (4.20) - Briere (6.50) - Leino (3.00)
xxxxxxxxxx - Carter (6.00) - xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx - Betts (0.70) - Shelley (1.10)
xxxxxxxxxx

Pronger (4.92) - Carle (3.44)
Timonen (6.33) - Coburn (3.20)
Meszaros (4.00) - xxxxxxxxxx
Bartulis (0.60)

Bobrovsky (0.90)
xxxxxxxxxx

Total: 55.52
Cap (09-10): 59.40
Space: 3.88

That's 3.88m (based on this current cap) for four of Nodl, Carcillo, Powe, Zherdev, Kalinski, and Wellwood, one of Walker, Gustafsson, and Lehtivuori, and one of Leighton, Backlund, and Boucher.

If the cap's going up, this is definitely doable.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

It always goes up, one way or another.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Jester

People need to keep in mind that we have a new CBA coming. Next year will be the final year of this CBA.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:47 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
People need to keep in mind that we have a new CBA coming. Next year will be the final year of this CBA.
Are they planning on changing it that much? I mean, what they have now seems to be working pretty well. Can't believe they'd be dumb enough to risk another lockout particularly considering the Xmas gifts that the NFL and NBA will most likely be giving them.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I figure we need around $13m freedom for Carter, Giroux, and Leino, so I'm dividing them this way: 6.00 for Carter, 4.00 for Giroux, and 3.00 for Leino.

vanRiemsdyk (0.88) - Richards (5.75) - Giroux (4.00)
Hartnell (4.20) - Briere (6.50) - Leino (3.00)
xxxxxxxxxx - Carter (6.00) - xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx - Betts (0.70) - Shelley (1.10)
xxxxxxxxxx

Pronger (4.92) - Carle (3.44)
Timonen (6.33) - Coburn (3.20)
Meszaros (4.00) - xxxxxxxxxx
Bartulis (0.60)

Bobrovsky (0.90)
xxxxxxxxxx

Total: 55.52
Cap (09-10): 59.40
Space: 3.88

That's 3.88m (based on this current cap) for four of Nodl, Carcillo, Powe, Zherdev, Kalinski, and Wellwood, one of Walker, Gustafsson, and Lehtivuori, and one of Leighton, Backlund, and Boucher.

If the cap's going up, this is definitely doable.
Forgive me: Isn't Leighton's deal 2 years? Walkers too?

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:49 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Every time the cap goes a Flyers lose a 2nd round pick ;p

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:52 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Forgive me: Isn't Leighton's deal 2 years? Walkers too?
Yes. I think Walker's is 3.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Yes. I think Walker's is 3.
I'm assuming they weren't including in your cap figures above? Do we still have 3.88M to "fudge" around with?

Old
11-02-2010, 07:59 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I'm assuming they weren't including in your cap figures above? Do we still have 3.88M to "fudge" around with?
Guys like that are under contract, but don't really have to be on the team.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Are they planning on changing it that much? I mean, what they have now seems to be working pretty well. Can't believe they'd be dumb enough to risk another lockout particularly considering the Xmas gifts that the NFL and NBA will most likely be giving them.
It shouldn't. Every chief issue has been resolved through amendments.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:16 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Early speculation is that Bettman and Co. may push for the cap to be tied at 52% of revenue, as opposed to 57%.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Guys like that are under contract, but don't really have to be on the team.
Bury them in the minors? I wonder what the trade value of Leighton or Walker is?

Old
11-02-2010, 09:34 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

seriously, with the cap over $60m, what's the point of having one?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
it does start to venture into uselessness at a certain point.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
As noted above, there's talk that they need to lower the % a bit.

Old
11-02-2010, 10:37 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Probably not the max that teams have to worry about, but the minimum. Rising cap values lead to rising cap floors, which would likely yield teams being moved or league contraction, unless more revenue sharing occurs.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:49 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Early speculation is that Bettman and Co. may push for the cap to be tied at 52% of revenue, as opposed to 57%.
Hmm they torpedoed a whole season to get their precious cap, and now they want to gouge the players even more? Sheesh.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:31 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Bury them in the minors? I wonder what the trade value of Leighton or Walker is?
Walker fetched Gagne, so if Holmgren needed to give them away for a 7th there would be plenty of takers. Of course, he'd throw in a 2nd for kicks.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:49 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock
Probably not the max that teams have to worry about, but the minimum. Rising cap values lead to rising cap floors, which would likely yield teams being moved or league contraction, unless more revenue sharing occurs.
Yes. I bet there's no cheering going on in the have-not cities like Phoenix, Nashville, etc.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
Hmm they torpedoed a whole season to get their precious cap, and now they want to gouge the players even more? Sheesh.
Player salaries have GONE UP under the current CBA. The players didn't get even remotely "gouged" by the previous CBA.

Old
11-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Player salaries have GONE UP under the current CBA. The players didn't get even remotely "gouged" by the previous CBA.
I agree for the most part as those who survived the New CBA are looking at a greater pot to be paid from... while those who didn't are either making their money elsewhere or retired.

What the current CBA has also done was change the thinking of the organizations and reapportioned the way the allotted money is spent... Some players had to reassess what they will accept or be one of the ones to move on to other leagues or retire -- I would assume that Recchi would be making a greater salary under the old system as an 'Old Boy' in the club... IIRC there were not many players who took cuts pre-Lockout -- For better or worse there has been a swing to the younger players sooner in their careers (Richards/Carter/JvR/Giroux) and release of the good soldiers that would have been paid higher salaries to end careers even with lesser roles (LeClair for example) or moved for cap-room before their contract expires (Gagne)... There are grunts that are desired for their roles while being paid a relatively low contract (Betts/Powe) and players such as Nodl are getting shots they may not have had... There are also the gambles such as Emery and Zherdev while important players such as Knuble are allowed to walk.

All the while there are star players that are taking a bigger piece of the pie -- albeit less of a top dollar amount than the stars were once paid... Like John LeClair's $9M -- and there has become more of a system that consists of a handful of top tier talents supported by grunts and young players... none of which are to be pitied as the lowest makes over a half million per season once they reach the NHL.

The new CBA has developed into one where GMs must determine who should get the big bucks... Flyers decided to go cheap at goal and big on the blue-line and with the top forwards, while other organizations have chosen to give top dollar in goal and for a couple of superstar players.

The Devils wanted a top dollar superstar sniper and an expensive superstar goalie while keeping their other top players and thumbing their nose to the League by going without with a great deal of the rest... and we are seeing how that is working out as they blew up their once great system.

Overall the NHLPA should be happy with how it turned out, IMO... as the NHL is in a better position and the salaries have indeed risen greatly since the Lockout.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:26 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

so the cap could be 63-64 million next season. So basically salaries will be what they were before the lockout.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
so the cap could be 63-64 million next season. So basically salaries will be what they were before the lockout.
yeah... But then it was only with the haves, top organizations who where spending freely -- in some cases foolishly -- while the have nots were spending less than half that and not being able to compete for top players... Now those have nots are forced to spend more than they used to, even with self-imposed below max caps, due to cap minimums.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Yeah, pretty much... but a lot of this is all projection based off of the next TV contract and all that good stuff. The beauty of the system is that it is tied to the league's revenue streams... if the league makes more money, the players make more money. Thus why even if they lower the %, the players aren't getting "gouged." Just changing the pie between the two parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
yeah... But then it was only with the haves, top organizations who where spending freely -- in some cases foolishly -- while the have nots were spending less than half that and not being able to compete for top players... Now those have nots are forced to spend more than they used to, even with self-imposed below max caps, due to cap minimums.
Which is actually becoming a problem due to the drastic difference between the top markets and the small markets, and one of the reasons they need to address the salary cap rules. They need to lower it slightly, or start moving teams to Canada.

I'd expect a slightly lower cap % in the next CBA, with better revenue sharing. What makes this all interesting, is that if you're a star player with a big contract already signed... you want something done about the cap so you stop losing money to escrow.