HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN's mock draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 500
TSN's mock draft

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/feature.asp?fid=7065

They have us drafting Kyle Chipchura which I would be very excited about if it happened. Also they have Alex Radulov at 17 who I also wouldn't mind getting.

Thoughts on their mock?

Old
06-09-2004, 12:23 AM
blueberry

I don't know if I'd be that excited but I wouldn't be disappointed either. I think you always hope for a little more with a 1st pick. He might turn out to be the best player for us in the long run though. I'd sorta rather have radulov or thelan though, especially thelan. I think we have more of a need for another big puck moving, hitting defenseman.

Old
06-09-2004, 12:42 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Well maybe I will stop hearing how Radulov was an homer pick impossible at 18th with this mock draft

FLORIDA :Wolski 7th : WOW !!! Am I underrating that guy or what ?????? Personnaly he's not my favorite & 7 seems like a stretch but who knows.

MINNY : Schwarz 14th : Even if some Minny fans claim they will pick a forward, a G is not out of the question.

NASHVILLE : Schremp 15th : I won't be surprise if that happen.

NYISLES : Valabik 16th : This is my pick for the Isles all along.

ST-LOUIS : Radulov is very possible but I don't think personnaly they are gonna pick him unless the ''attitude'' rumors is far away from the truth. I see them getting a nice guy like Sindel or Korpikoski.

DALLAS : Nokelainen 20th , that's my line of thinking, they love those finnish players & I dont expect that to change.

NEW JERSEY : Dubnyk 22nd???????? This is my WTF part of this mock draft. They dont know where to put Ahonen & suddenly they pick another goalie ? Very skeptical about this.

OTTAWA : Schultz 23rd, this is the surprise of this draft, I almost put him around 28-30th but I still think it's a bit of a stretch.

Conclusion : a good mock draft, not a lot of info on why each team would pick the players. Some gutsy pick that are always necessary in a good mock draft.

Old
06-09-2004, 01:47 AM
Traitor8

I would be very surprised yet very excited if Radulov drops to 18th.

Who would you guys rather have ..Radulov or Chipchura?

Does Chipchura plays physical? what nhler is he most comparable too?

Old
06-09-2004, 02:05 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8

Thats a very hard choice that we will never have to make. One if not both of those guys won't be there at 18 and we will probably get the one left. I want both though.

Old
06-09-2004, 05:03 AM
Marksman

Chipchura sounds right, we still dont have too many big forward prospects that actually use their size.

Even his name starts with CH, must be good omen.

Still it will be interesting to see if Savard&Co break their tendency going after NCAA (O'Neill/Pineault) or russian player (Radulov/Lisin?).

Funny thing about this mock... makes me proud to see three finns there, without Lepistö who should be there around mid twenties imo .... and only one swede!

Last edited by Marksman: 06-09-2004 at 05:18 AM.
Old
06-09-2004, 06:34 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry
I don't know if I'd be that excited but I wouldn't be disappointed either. I think you always hope for a little more with a 1st pick. He might turn out to be the best player for us in the long run though. I'd sorta rather have radulov or thelan though, especially thelan. I think we have more of a need for another big puck moving, hitting defenseman.

I don't see how we could land Thelen, but if we could, that would be great, I see him as the top defensemen in the draft! Every time I watched him play I was more impressed.

Old
06-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I would say Chipchura, but only because I haven't seen Radulov and can only go by the "word on the street" about him. I have confidence in Chipchura as a bona fide NHLer; I don't have the confidence in Radulov... he could be anything from a big sniper to a complete bust, but he sounds a lot like Pavel Vorobiev, from a scouting report perspective. Is that good or bad? We still don't know.

Quote:
He is physical and works hard, and some names we've thrown around here in the past include Trevor Linden and Kirk Muller at the top end. (Although bearing in mind that those guys had some higher offensive numbers in the more open eras of the NHL than Chipchura could ever hope to reproduce in the modern era). At the lower end, Manny Malhotra, Shawn Horcoff or Jarret Stoll, might be considered.

Old
06-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Darz

Mark my words....Kyle Chipchura will not be available when we pick at #18.

Old
06-09-2004, 12:10 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
great we dont need him !!

Old
06-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
great we dont need him !!
I dunno, a big physical centre who can play defense. Hard to pass up.

Old
06-09-2004, 12:33 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
I dunno, a big physical centre who can play defense. Hard to pass up.
A big depth centre to play behind your smaller skilled centres would be very hard to pass up, especially when one see's the effect a Primeau type has on your team.

He is very Gainey like from what I read and hear about his style, probably a Gainey type player too.

I would love to get a Power Forward or Thelen if he is available, but this kid would be solid safe pick.

Old
06-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Good, I don't want someone who projects to be a 3rd liner with an 18th overall pick.

*ducks away from Higgsfan and Munchausen*

Old
06-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Totally agreed.

Old
06-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Russian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Good, I don't want someone who projects to be a 3rd liner with an 18th overall pick.

We are maybe wrong right now, we'll see down the road but that's the way I think

Old
06-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Darz

Quote:

Truthfully if we could walk away from this draft with a 3rd liner with size and a good head on his shoulders, I would be very, very happy. When you think of the % of picks that actually pan out, I would be happy with one, who really looks like he'll be an NHL'er.

Plus I think he has some offensive upside that could eventually see him as a top 6 forward.

Old
06-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Plus I think he has some offensive upside that could eventually see him as a top 6 forward.
Considering what constitutes a top-6 forward these days on many teams... well... to be honest, our projection of "3rd line centre" is probably based on a 70's Habs Dynasty perspective. I mean, who were the Stanley Cup Finalist Calgary Flames top-6 forwards? Chipchura probably projects easily to 1st/2nd line status there, and on many other NHL teams, if he reaches his maximum potential. Exactly 30 centers recorded more than 50 pts in the NHL last year. So if you think he could max out to 50 points, that seems to indicate something more than "3rd line centre".

Of course, since we expect to have a team 5 years from now which compares favourably to those 70's Cup dynasties, then Chipchura's gutsy two-way 50 point contributions will be coming as *our* 3rd line centre. But he'd be #1 on most NHL teams at that time.

Old
06-09-2004, 01:24 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Yeah I really don't think he will still be availble at 18, that's why I was kinda surprised when reading the mock draft. But his stock has fallen and some prospects have moved ahead of him on the scouting lists.

Old
06-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Yeah I really don't think he will still be availble at 18, that's why I was kinda surprised when reading the mock draft. But his stock has fallen and some prospects have moved ahead of him on the scouting lists.
Agreed. I see GM's looking at him as a safe pick. Many might pass on him, deciding to gamble, but the first GM drafting after pick #10 who is looking at making a safe pick is going to have this guy at the top of his list.

But truthfully that is what I thought about Getzlaf last year and he dropped to 19 (or so). But then again last years draft was alot deeper than this years draft, so.....

Old
06-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Russian Fan

Quote:
Agreed. I see GM's looking at him as a safe pick. Many might pass on him, deciding to gamble, but the first GM drafting after pick #10 who is looking at making a safe pick is going to have this guy at the top of his list.

But truthfully that is what I thought about Getzlaf last year and he dropped to 19 (or so). But then again last years draft was alot deeper than this years draft, so.....
I think Chipchura is indeed a safe pick & that's what makes him attractive much like Sami Lepisto in my mock draft. Some GM's like you said will not go with the homerun & will always prefer to get a futur NHLer with less upside.

Old
06-09-2004, 01:59 PM
db23

Well the TSN guys support my feeling that Wolski, Thelen and Green were underrated in other publications.

Old
06-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:

Yeah you better duck to avoid my fist of fury ye of little faith. Long live the Chipchurian bandwagon!

Old
06-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

I would take Chipchura over Radulov. We already have many prospects in the mold of Radulov and he's not the kind of player who play on the third line. I say that because in 3 years, we will probably don't have enought place for all our prospects...

If you take Chipchura, you can put him on every line. Also, he can play on the PP and could be a PK star. We don't have that kind of prospect in ou depht chart so I would trade up to draft him because he will not be available at 18...

Old
06-09-2004, 04:30 PM
penkil2

Adam Pineault

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
A big depth centre to play behind your smaller skilled centres would be very hard to pass up, especially when one see's the effect a Primeau type has on your team.

He is very Gainey like from what I read and hear about his style, probably a Gainey type player too.

I would love to get a Power Forward or Thelen if he is available, but this kid would be solid safe pick.

Pineault would have been in the top ten of this draft if he did not go to BC. The lack of ice time dropped his stock, but this player is a 1st round Power Forward who is not afraid of fighting in the corners. He play's RC/RW and would be a great pick for any team in the 1st round.

Old
06-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Russian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by penkil2
Pineault would have been in the top ten of this draft if he did not go to BC. The lack of ice time dropped his stock, but this player is a 1st round Power Forward who is not afraid of fighting in the corners. He play's RC/RW and would be a great pick for any team in the 1st round.
You are very right , this year there's no clearcut player after the usual top 10-12. We will some of steal in the 2nd round

Closed Thread