HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2014 LMHF Report - Game #14

Old
12-08-2013, 01:50 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
2014 LMHF Report - Game #14

EDMONTON 1

VS.

CALGARY 2
-------------

Well, that didn't last very long. I'm starting to think this team might not have the capacity to get on a roll. The 07-08 and 08-09 teams both had periods where they looked like they may never lose again. I haven't seen that from this core group yet once. They are always several precious steps from falling backwards into the crevice again.

A good team walks into tonight's game with a ton of confidence after the 8-2 win, knows its opponent is in the second half of a back to back during a long, losing season, and dispatches them in the first period, coasting most of the rest of the way to take care of business on HNIC.

In case we had any delusions floating around...the Edmonton Oilers are not that hockey team.

I won't take tonight's result fully away from Calgary. I've seen very few teams as committed to keeping their opponent out of the middle of the offensive zone as the Flames were tonight. The Oilers helped out a ton by taking the path of least resistance (the outside) and then either taking harmless shots or making insanely stupid cross-blueline and backward passes in the offensive zone. How these guys couldn't learn from the way they attacked the net the other night I have no idea. In the top 6, outside of David Perron, not one guy showed any appetite for taking the puck to the net until the last minute of the game. This is with multiple powerplays for...it isn't like the Oilers spent the night slogging away five-on-five.

I honestly don't know what they are doing as they enter the attacking zone. It is too odd and too constant to be a spontaneous decision of the players.

One thing is clear - other teams show a complete lack of respect for the Oilers' point shooting potential and this season they are right to do so. No weapons back there right now. Belov misses too much, Petry takes too long, Justin Schultz has given up, Ference can't shoot, Larsen's too weak and Nick Schultz I don't believe realizes that he is allowed to shoot the puck anymore. The D know how to move to the net - there was a sequence tonight where both Justin Schultz and Martin Marincin went to the slot at the same time - but finishing has not occured this year. This is a black hole where offense goes to die. I'm going to continue to advocate strongly for blowing up the D. For whatever reason tonight made me miss Pronger more than I have in a long while. He'd do that wobbly walk under the derrick as the last guy on the ice and you just knew there was a chance we'd win every single night. On a bad PP night, he'd go stand in the middle of the ice and just blow one by everybody. We have absolutely no one who can have that impact on the team's psyche and on the game. #1 picks and all.

Odd that even after playing what I'd consider a rather pathetic 59+ minutes where they mainly just wore themselves, this team still had a chance to win. Calgary didn't really attack all night, which again is somewhat on them and somewhat a credit to our 5 standing D. They didn't do a lot but they also didn't give up a lot of odd man rushes. Then again, neither did the Flames. I haven't seen that much scrambly play and botched...well...everything, in quite a while now.

On the losing goal, our forwards were gassed after Eakins didn't elect to use his timeout. He'd had 6 forwards on the ice for the last minute and then sent them right back out in OT. That's a big strategic mistake in a game where they had already been frustrated and wearing themselves out. I'm not saying their effort were smart...they were all over the damn place in fact.
---------------

Dubnyk
- Played good enough for this team to win. Down too early on the first goal of course. Absolutely embarrassing trying to play the puck behind his own net. He fell, threw a stick, gave the puck away, missed it and I believe once actually made one of the simplest plays a goalie is asked to make. I'm not bagging on him because as I say, he was indeed good enough, but how can a professional be so bad at a basic requirement of the job?

Marincin
- Pretty medium game from him. Had some very off shifts in the second. That still doesn't mean Eakins shouldn't have played him more than 15+ mins on a night where they only have 5 D. He needed to see more ice. No reason for Justin Schultz to play over 27.

J. Schultz
- He was either gassed, unfocused or something, but not very good tonight at all. Very little impact on the game for the positive, which is amazing when you play nearly half of it.

N. Schultz
- Just okay defensively, and didn't make any strong offensive plays.

Larsen
- Just all over the place. Excellent skating with the puck and some really nice passes. Horrible when he faced a couple two-on-ones. He has no clue what to do. Not even close to a threat to shoot tonight. Bobbled the puck a bunch.

Petry
- Was doing fine until the headshot.

Ference
- Beat again for the Flames first goal. Apparently he thought there should have been a penalty called? I didn't see anything but it was at one of the angles where it is harder for me to tell. Looked like Ference being Ference to me. Okay otherwise.

Gazdic
- Did he play? Not really. Not sure why he didn't go punch someone in the mouth after the Petry play.

Jones
- Ran around and accomplished absolutely nothing. Par for the course.

Lander
- Drew a penalty, did okay on the PK despite Jones trying to force him to play both point men on several occasions.

Arcobello
- Very quiet night and a big fat ZERO on the dot. Yikes. Just couldn't seem to get his feet going or have any impact in the offensive zone. That's not going to translate well for him. Had a couple of good shifts on the wing with Hall and Gagner though.

Smyth
- Slower and struggled a bit tonight, but no big mistakes or stupid penalties for him tonight. I consider that a success for Smyth at this stage.

Hemsky
- Kind of all over the place like Larsen. There were points during the game where he was clearly the Oilers best forward, then there were times where he really struggled. He at least tried to push to the net on a few occasions, and also generated the tying goal by getting a puck on net from the point when no one else seemed interested at all.

Perron
- His early spark and driving the net to annoy Calgary should have provided his teammates with some spark and attitude but this never came to pass. Perron struggled to get into the shooting lanes for himself tonight and no teammates were able to find him. He gave the puck away more than usual tonight in the corners, which might be the one weakness to his otherwise solid game. I'll deal with an occasional unsportsmanlike from him. At least he doesn't skate away or hide.

Eberle
- Yikes. Rough game in the offensive zone tonight. Couldn't get a step on anyone and didn't get any really good shots away save for a powerplay shot off the post (Perron had one on the same shift as well). He needs to be much better.

Hopkins
- Pretty much the exact same as Eberle, but maybe even less effective. He is skating to really weird spots and losing the puck with almost zero fight at an alarming rate this year. Not sure what's wrong.

Hall
- Some good shifts, some bad ones, at least he was around the net I suppose. Made some UGLY passes though, which have sadly been a trademark of his game this year. This gets worse in games like tonight's where he is getting frustrated.

Gagner
- Just not ready yet. Keeps getting whacked in the face. Where's the slapper? Where are the dekes? I wish we had Grabovski instead...

Yakupov
- Pretty bad game I must say. He's really struggling.
-------------------

That's all I can muster tonight. Please add if you have additional insights.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:56 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

This really was not a game where any of our guys stood out in a good way for the most part. The calvary isn't coming and it's going to be a LONG season just like IMO it was a long offseason because Mr. Bold Moves couldn't back up his mouth.

12-08-2013, 01:57 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
When JS doesn't produce offensively, he doesn't bring anything to the game.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:59 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
This really was not a game where any of our guys stood out in a good way for the most part. The calvary isn't coming and it's going to be a LONG season just like IMO it was a long offseason because Mr. Bold Moves couldn't back up his mouth.
On LT's blog I posted again that Jim Nill should have been and should now be our GM.

Seguin had a natural hat trick in the second tonight. Bet he's an Oiler if the GM was Nill. THAT is a bold move.

Blow up the D. It isn't working. No sacred cows. If Schultz and a first would get you a real #1, DO IT.

Old
12-08-2013, 02:02 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Not altogether sure this is fair.

Perrpn is the best player on this whole club and a steal of a deal. That alone is a decent offseason when you consider that the manager made off with a player that is better than the several star number 1 pick players on this club.

Next, Gordon, Belov, Joensuu, Ference, Larsen, Bryz solid additions. I would prefer still having Smid in our lineup.

its not MacT's fault really that a handful of kidstars can't find out how to score a goal when they're whole livelihood had been predicated on it.

Calgary just stymied us enough but this team needs to play a lot smarter in games like this. In last 5mins of 2nd period they were doin what they should'be been most of game. Forcing puck to the net. It was giving the flames fits, we stopped doing it.

The amount of turnovers by this team instead of getting pressure is maddening.

This is the players not executing tonight. plus coaching. We lose that matchup before the National anthem..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:04 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
On LT's blog I posted again that Jim Nill should have been and should now be our GM.

Seguin had a natural hat trick in the second tonight. Bet he's an Oiler if the GM was Nill. THAT is a bold move.

Blow up the D. It isn't working. No sacred cows. If Schultz and a first would get you a real #1, DO IT.
There is a lot that needs to be done for sure. Who would Nill have given up for Seguin? Yakupov? Eberle +? I still think that the forward mix is all wrong as well. We need some guys that can win battles and raise a little hell in front of the net while the skill is buzzing. Too bad our management has been content on loading our team up with small skill and not much else for the last 7 or 8 years.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:08 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Not altogether sure this is fair.

Perrpn is the best player on this whole club and a steal of a deal. That alone is a decent offseason when you consider that the manager made off with a player that is better than the several star number 1 pick players on this club.

Next, Gordon, Belov, Joensuu, Ference, Larsen, Bryz solid additions. I would prefer still having Smid in our lineup.

its not MacT's fault really that a handful of kidstars can't find out how to score a goal when they're whole livelihood had been predicated on it.

Calgary just stymied us enough but this team needs to play a lot smarter in games like this. In last 5mins of 2nd period they were doin what they should'be been most of game. Forcing puck to the net. It was giving the flames fits, we stopped doing it.

The amount of turnovers by this team instead of getting pressure is maddening.

This is the players not executing tonight. plus coaching. We lose that matchup before the National anthem..
Perron is a win no matter how you slice it as is Gordon.

Ference IMO has been at best a wash relative to what he is being paid, a little too much of a non factor for a captain IMO.

Belov has been alright but has shown nothing offensively.

Grebs is garbage.

Larsen for Horc was a solid move IMO.

Joensuu has been worse than Gazdic since hurting his back.

Bryz could've been done a long time ago bringing us back to LOLbarbara

Bold moves? Sorry, I don't see it.

Old
12-08-2013, 02:10 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Hartley might be a jerk, but the man can coach.

I also don't exactly enjoy Tortorella, but also honestly don't think the team is near this far behind with him instead.

Eakins need to learn and quick - or he could and should be George Burnett 2.0

Old
12-08-2013, 02:11 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Hartley might be a jerk, but the man can coach.

I also don't exactly enjoy Tortorella, but also honestly don't think the team is near this far behind with him instead.

Eakins need to learn and quick - or he could and should be George Burnett 2.0
Who would you like to see us hire as Lowe's newest puppet, I mean head coach if we can Eakins?

Old
12-08-2013, 02:13 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Bryz could've been done a long time ago bringing us back to LOLbarbara
"Hey, let's hire Devan's buddy to be backup! Then we'll hire Kevin's buddy to GM! YAY buddies!!!"

Old
12-08-2013, 02:14 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Who would you like to see us hire as Lowe's newest puppet, I mean head coach if we can Eakins?
Well, me of course.

But if that can't be arranged, Todd Nelson.

Old
12-08-2013, 02:28 AM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
When JS doesn't produce offensively, he doesn't bring anything to the game.
exactly this.

Justin Schultz is put in a position to be a lynch pin of our offense, and yet his play makes him a black hole in the team, tilting the ice in favor of the other team.

There are skilled, soft Dman who can contribute despite being cold offensively. Schultz should be the guy who steals pucks and makes great outlet passes. There is a place for skill guys in the Dzone. I've seen Schultz make those plays in the past. The team will go nowhere unless Schultz can play that way.

Part of me wants him to sit. He deserves to. Another part of me wants the team to ride it out, because when he starts clicking he will heal this team. At this point, with our record, we have till the end of this season to try to fix Schultz

Last edited by Mr Positive: 12-08-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 02:31 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
"Hey, let's hire Devan's buddy to be backup! Then we'll hire Kevin's buddy to GM! YAY buddies!!!"

"Because naturally my friend must be better than everyone else in the world at his job because, well, he's my friend!"

Quote:
Well, me of course.

But if that can't be arranged, Todd Nelson.
Couldn't be any worse, but the results that he got in OKC when the kids were down there didn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence in him IMO.

Old
12-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Aerchon

I think half the team went on a drinking binge the night before and were hung over to the nuts. They looked like the tired ones.

Besides his typical terrible with the puck moments I think this was one of Dubs best games. Stole us a point and I am not a dub fan. Covered up for at least a half dozen quality chances given up but terrible defensive lapses. nice to see. Of course anyone but Calgary probably would have buried those but hey, gotta give him credit where credit is due.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Joe Hallenback

Until there is a culture change from management and that means getting rid of everyone and bringing in someone with no ties to the Oilers this team will not win.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 12:52 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:

"Seguin had a natural hat trick today" is a ridiculously weak argument, Gagner wins every argument hands down with this faulty logic. But really Seguin has had the privilege of playing with linemates like Marchand, Bergeron, Jamie Benn, Chiasson or Nichuskin. On our team, he would just be another softy perimeter player...

One who doesn't know how to use home appliances...

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
exactly this.

Justin Schultz is put in a position to be a lynch pin of our offense, and yet his play makes him a black hole in the team, tilting the ice in favor of the other team.

There are skilled, soft Dman who can contribute despite being cold offensively. Schultz should be the guy who steals pucks and makes great outlet passes. There is a place for skill guys in the Dzone. I've seen Schultz make those plays in the past. The team will go nowhere unless Schultz can play that way.

Part of me wants him to sit. He deserves to. Another part of me wants the team to ride it out, because when he starts clicking he will heal this team. At this point, with our record, we have till the end of this season to try to fix Schultz
Nah, he creates lots of offensive chances and generally moves the puck forward well his problem is he's very good at one thing only, generating offence. Defensively he's not up to the task. He needs a strong two way veteran defender to work with that can cover for his mistakes and help move the puck in the right direction so he's not expected to do it all. We dont have that guy.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:11 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Not sure why Larsen got a negative review.. He was the only bright spot on the back end and seems to have taken the #1 offensive Dman role away from J.Schultz.

He probably got overused on the PP but aside from that he was very good.

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 05:00 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
"Seguin had a natural hat trick today" is a ridiculously weak argument, Gagner wins every argument hands down with this faulty logic. But really Seguin has had the privilege of playing with linemates like Marchand, Bergeron, Jamie Benn, Chiasson or Nichuskin. On our team, he would just be another softy perimeter player...

One who doesn't know how to use home appliances...
It was a remark...not saying you must obtain Seguin because of his natural hat trick. Getting him would have been a bold move. Don't see how you can argue it wouldn't be.

Old
12-09-2013, 05:01 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Not sure why Larsen got a negative review.. He was the only bright spot on the back end and seems to have taken the #1 offensive Dman role away from J.Schultz.

He probably got overused on the PP but aside from that he was very good.
Mixed review, not a negative one. He was really good at times and pretty bad at others.