HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: The Walking Dead

Old
03-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
It seems the children of my favorite shows are always annoying. I swear, this Carl kid and the daughter from Californication bug the crap out of me. LOL. Hell, count Jesse in from Breaking Bad, if he's considered a kid. haha.
The only kid that didn't annoy me and in fact I thought did an excellent job was Caleb Temple on American Gothic (Lucas Black). That show was awesome and it's such a shame it got unfairly cancelled.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Gabriel6676

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
What I mean is that the Navy isn't going to do much on dry land. They may be able to survive for a time, but they'll need supplies sooner or later. Assuming that the virus spreads to the supposed 99% of the population, there would be no safe harbor to dock, unless the found their way to some pretty uninhabited islands. I'm sure there is some kind of survival plan, but it probably doesn't account for zombies.
Not zombies specifically but it would be interesting to see the response plan for a plague of some sort. I know those kind of plans exist at the various government levels.

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Freudian slips

are there any good blogs out there that discuss this show?

Im enjoying the show so far, watch it every week. I havent been really hooked on a show like this since LOST.

Both shows have their weaknesses, but generally, Ive really enjoyed the premises from social psychology point of view...

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:13 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
The only kid that didn't annoy me and in fact I thought did an excellent job was Caleb Temple on American Gothic (Lucas Black). That show was awesome and it's such a shame it got unfairly cancelled.
American Gothic was really good. I went and bought the DVD set so I could watch it again. It's a shame the American Public never take to these smart, thought provoking types of shows. Not enough action, I guess. EZ streets and Firefly are two other shows that were exceptionally well written and acted yet never seemed to catch on.

I also thought the first season of Hell on Wheels was pretty good, especially because it was filmed in Alberta and you could recognize the land and skyscapes as such.

I am looking forward to seeing where Walking Dead goes from here as I am not familiar with the comics and have very little clue what to expect.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel6676 View Post
Not zombies specifically but it would be interesting to see the response plan for a plague of some sort. I know those kind of plans exist at the various government levels.
They do have plans, I'm sure. Mad Cow, Swine Flu, SARS etc. have taken care of that. The infected victims just die though. You don't have to bash their heads in before they eat you. They would probably have to use the plan for a full scale nuclear war, where radiation outside could kill you. But in the Walking Dead scenario, as soon as anyone dies, they turn into zombies. That will mess with any plans.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:57 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:03 PM
senorchang

Does anyone know if I can read this series online? I'm loving this show and can no longer wait to find out what happens.

senorchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:08 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
Does anyone know if I can read this series online? I'm loving this show and can no longer wait to find out what happens.

reading the graphic novels, while helpful in some regards is not going to help you understand what's going on with the t.v. series as they've veered pretty far off the storyline at times.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I'm surprised that you don't like BB [...]
I can honestly say that it's one of my favorite shows of all time [...]
Breaking Bad is definitely my favorite show that's still running.
While it's quite different in tone from The Wire (my all-time fave), it's got those same holy-crap moments from time to time that just makes you go: "Whoa! Oh no, they didn't!"
Acting and writing is just brilliant.

Walking Dead has its flaws, definitely, but I've been hooked all along.
Just seeing flesh-eating zombies on TV on a weekly basis (however few) is enough to keep me coming back for more.

Son of Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
MoneyGuy

I'm no zombie expert so this may seem obvious to some, but why don't they eat their dead comrades instead of always going after the living?

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:49 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm no zombie expert so this may seem obvious to some, but why don't they eat their dead comrades instead of always going after the living?
Their necrotic flesh tastes bad

03-21-2012, 08:32 AM
oakfield

First time reading through this thread. I am almost up to date with the comics, so it's interesting seeing the opinions of people just watching the show.

I think the one thing people tend to overlook is that the show isn't really about the zombies at all. The walkers are simply the landscape of the story... What it's really about is ongoing survival, and how humans function once the general structure of society falls away. It's about the atrocities of those still living, not the dead.

If the show stays faithful to the books (signs are pointing to a general following) next season is going AMAZING.

oakfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Oilerdiehard

The Walking Dead is the best show on television!

The second half of season 2 was just amazing IMO.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:43 AM
oakfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
The Walking Dead is the best show on television!

The second half of season 2 was just amazing IMO.
Agreed, it felt a lot like the comics. Getting pretty BA, and not really holding any punches. There's some crazy s*** coming up though, and I don't know how they could possibly put it on tv.

oakfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:16 PM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▀████╱█████▀

vCash: 0
I'm absolutely blown away by this show, never thought it would be this great, Norman Reedus is just a beast my favorite character by far, Lori sucks get her off the damn show,

My favorite show since Prison Break for sure.

MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:27 PM
bacardimayne

You guys should just read the comics. They're beyond awesome.

bacardimayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by senorchang View Post
Were you guys offended by his post?
Nope, haven't watched the show since the first season, more relaying information that could be valuable. Enlightening the masses

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Spoiler warnings would be helpful. lol

But it shouldn't ruin your watching pleasure too much. A LOT of stuff is not the same comics/tv series. So it's all good with me. But yes, I understand if people do not want to read spoilers.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Tyrolean

My only regret is the series is shown is too short of a run each season. Now we have to wait until Fall for the next season and that's like half a year.

Tyrolean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
My only regret is the series is shown is too short of a run each season. Now we have to wait until Fall for the next season and that's like half a year.
I know it's corny, but I didn't watch one episode of The Walking Dead Season 2 until this weekend. Didn't even bother clicking on this thread until a few days ago.

I just knew I couldn't wait on a week to week basis to watch a show like this. LOL. At least Season 3 is 16 episodes.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:13 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I deleted my last post and any that quoted/responded to it.

What I was getting at in my post was actually that the comics and the show have had significant enough changes, especially in regards to the life and death of major characters (not to mention major characters from the comic not appearing at all in the show and vice versa) that what happens in the comic has no berring on the events of the TV show.

I do find it a little strange that something that hasn't been aired, filmed, or even written yet could be "spoiled". Not only that, but the comic has been running for years. How long does something have to be available before people are allowed to discuss it openly? Nobody talk about the Godfather part 2. I haven't seen it yet.

Last edited by misfit: 03-22-2012 at 05:24 PM.
misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I deleted my last post and any that quoted/responded to it.

What I was getting at in my post was actually that the comics and the show have had significant enough changes, especially in regards to the life and death of major characters (not to mention major characters from the comic not appearing at all in the show and vice versa) that what happens in the comic has no berring on the events of the TV show.

I do find it a little strange that something that hasn't been aired, filmed, or even written yet could be "spoiled". Not only that, but the comic has been running for years. How long does something have to be available before people are allowed to discuss it openly? Nobody talk about the Godfather part 2. I haven't seen it yet.
Nobody that clicks on a specific thread on a specific program, game or movie has the logical right to complain about "spoilers".

Guess what? If you click on the thread expect to hear about the content of the thread. You have no logical stance in inducing an expectation that nobody should say anything revealing or reveal content of the show, in a discussion about the show..

Logic fail.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Nobody that clicks on a specific thread on a specific program, game or movie has the logical right to complain about "spoilers".

Guess what? If you click on the thread expect to hear about the content of the thread. You have no logical stance in inducing an expectation that nobody should say anything revealing or reveal content of the show, in a discussion about the show..

Logic fail.
Unless you know there is a tv show and a comic book series and people are only following the tv show. Saying what happens in the comics is a spoiler, sure the show is different but it is still based on it.

Anyone here ever watch the TV show Game of Thrones. How many of those who watched it have also read the books?

Or when I was a little kid my friends would get mad at me when Lord of the Rings came out because I have read the books and would be borderline spoiling it for people.

So instead of taking a negative stance and saying the books have been written for 50 years screw you if you havent read it yet I just stopped talking about the spoilers.

Sure it has been out for some time but its common courtesy to put a spoiler tag on major details and it doesnt matter if books have been written because not everyone reads those. I bet some people dont even know this show is based on a graphic novel

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
Unless you know there is a tv show and a comic book series and people are only following the tv show. Saying what happens in the comics is a spoiler, sure the show is different but it is still based on it.

Anyone here ever watch the TV show Game of Thrones. How many of those who watched it have also read the books?

Or when I was a little kid my friends would get mad at me when Lord of the Rings came out because I have read the books and would be borderline spoiling it for people.

So instead of taking a negative stance and saying the books have been written for 50 years screw you if you havent read it yet I just stopped talking about the spoilers.

Sure it has been out for some time but its common courtesy to put a spoiler tag on major details and it doesnt matter if books have been written because not everyone reads those. I bet some people dont even know this show is based on a graphic novel
Sorry if I got sarcastic there but quite a lot of background on this one here.

Through the years complaints of people checking in on PGT's here and simultaneously not wanting to find out about the score, or game, and actually complaining about why people aren't using "spoiler" notices has jaded me on the topic.

I think it must be some kind of meme to complain about this type of thing while being in a thread.

Not everybody should preface every topical comment with "spoiler" just for the confused that are clicking on thread for who knows what reason.

Spoiler: This is a thread about Walking Dead. Pretty much is dead or dying.

ps and stupid idiots still get into car accidents

Oh, gotta avoid that walker...crash..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote