HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Walking Dead

Old
07-09-2012, 02:02 PM
JonQuixote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
I haven't enjoyed Game of Thrones personally. I find it boring.
You might be in the minority there. Here's an interesting link that looks at the creative forces that drive the show, and what they do to help make it more compelling.

Game of Thrones - Behind The Scenes

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:12 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Breaking Bad trumps all. Season 5 starts Sunday!

Edit - And since we're on the topic of shows, how does The Wire compare to Breaking Bad? Is it a show with a continuous story (like Breaking Bad)? Or more of a CSI type show with a new investigation each show?

Last edited by JSC: 07-09-2012 at 02:18 PM.
JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post

Edit - And since we're on the topic of shows, how does The Wire compare to Breaking Bad? Is it a show with a continuous story (like Breaking Bad)? Or more of a CSI type show with a new investigation each show?
I like Breading Bad a lot, but The Wire personally is my #1 all time. But that's just me. I don't expect everybody to be the same.

But yeah, it's a continuous story with a different theme each season.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Ranford

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post

#1 The Wire
#2 Breaking Bad
#3 Dexter
#4 Sopranoes

It is a continuous overall storyline, but each season is told from a different perspective.

Ranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

vCash: 625
If Walking Dead was half as good as the graphic novels we might have it in contention with some of the better TV shows out there.

It's amazing what some sloppy acting can do to a show. Although I am highly excited to see how they turn out the Jail/Governor arc.

Spoil:

And I really can't wait till they kill Laurie, she's by far the most annoying character on the show. In the comics she wasn't that bad. And if they keep the Lori actress around for Rick's "episodes", I'll be pissed.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Fair comment I guess.

I guess its that I hoped Game of Thrones would offer some level of feudal re-enactment.

I don't really get Game of Thrones, but then I don't understand the genre and why fantasy is that important to people. The series doesn't move me at all.

Just seems like a lot of the storylines depicted in Game of Thrones could use actual rather than fantasy events and imo it would be more compelling. Dragons and myth doesn't really do it for me.

Mythology is all about not knowing. I don't know why thats attractive when knowledge is at hand..

enough of this.
Ironic statement, because had you not judged the book by its cover you would know that the series is largely about political turmoil and power struggles (something WIDELY rampant throughout real historical events) with little elements of myth/mythos/magic set in it as well.

To go back on topic (although I don't see why more TV shows can't be discussed ITT...) the last few episodes of TWD s1 were blown, and season 2 was bad. There is just too little plot development and too little character development happening for it to stay interesting.

For instance, the storyline of the missing little girl. Really didn't need to take place over the course of, what, 5-6 episodes? And then low and behold we discover she's a Z, no real surprise there either...

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Really? All the time?
Ones that are predictable, formulaic and occur seemingly simply for the sake of being a plot twist. I've seen more and more movies and series where plot twists are over used imo.

I'm not the majority audience I guess but then the majority likes Twilight and i think TV in general and hollywood caters to a different audience.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Ironic statement, because had you not judged the book by its cover you would know that the series is largely about political turmoil and power struggles (something WIDELY rampant throughout real historical events) with little elements of myth/mythos/magic set in it as well.
I don't know what you mean here or which program you are now specifically referencing. If I want to learn about history and human events I read passages and books about those actual events. Not same fantasy enactment.

Everybodies cup of tea is different. I'm sure a lot of people love fantasy escape entertainment but I've rarely seen the point of it.

I don't understand the genre.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-09-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old
07-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Cam98

im looking forward to new season of Sons of Anarchy!!!

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:12 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
I don't know what you mean here or which program you are now specifically referencing. If I want to learn about history and human events I read passages and books about those actual events. Not same fantasy enactment.

Everybodies cup of tea is different. I'm sure a lot of people love fantasy escape entertainment but I've rarely seen the point of it.

I swear you're a hipster.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
im looking forward to new season of Sons of Anarchy!!!
I finally got into it last month. Watched it on Netflix and I loved it. Can't wait as well.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

I'm still talking about A Game of Thrones (and A Song of Ice and Fire) specifically.

You lumped it into something that it's largely not because you A) haven't read it and B) haven't watched it, or you would know that the "mythology" plays largely second fiddle to the political aspects of the plot.

Also FWIW, George RR Martin's version of fantasy isn't atypical of the genre, I know personally many readers who are enjoying ASOIAF, not just fantasy readers.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Ones that are predictable, formulaic and occur seemingly simply for the sake of being a plot twist. I've seen more and more movies and series where plot twists are over used imo.

I'm not the majority audience I guess but then the majority likes Twilight and i think TV in general and hollywood caters to a different audience.
Let's call a spade a spade - the twilight (and now the 50 shades of grey) is appealing to a very specific audience (the tween -> middle aged woman). It just happens to be an audience that dominates media attention (am I getting this across coherently? Not sure that would be the proper turn of phrase...)

The quality of writing displayed in both of those series is appalling. They are literally dumbing down the masses.

Old
07-09-2012, 07:28 PM
undertow

Quote:

With Game of Thrones being that the premise is semi historical I would've preferred less fantasy departures and whats basically science fiction. Which imo turns out to be a silly depiction of the past. Kind of like Lord of the Rings only worse. Or any of the typical back in time crap that gets made. I never understand that because history is interesting enough all on its own. Why not create kbowledge in viewers instead of feeding fantasy pablum.

yes, hipster

undertow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I hate all female characters in this show
I don't know how anyone can hate Laurie Holden.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Man o Man. I thought there were hockey critics on this site. But the TV show/genre critics are just as apparent.

That's OK though, everyone has their likes and dislikes.

@ Replacement: Personally I love the Fantasy genre, especially when it is entwined with historical reference...which when you think about it, much of Fantasy entertainment is.

A good example is Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Saw that, then a couple months later watched a documentary called Project Nim, about a chimp raised by humans who was taught sign language. The similarities of the two were very apparent.

Anyways, cannot wait for Walking Dead season 3.

Oh yeah..and Breaking Bad...that show HAS to be awesome. It's the first serial show I've seen that gets you hooked at whatever episode you watch. Watched a repeat of season 3 somewhere half way through the season and was able to pick up the jist after a couple of episodes. And the acting is absolutely riveting..great show.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I swear you're a hipster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
yes, hipster
Being that I had to look up the term I guess not. Not sure why a view has to be categorized into neat, tidy, judged, boxes.

As if you need to classify others on some flippant basis.

I'm an independent, individual, thinker, yes.

Old
07-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'm still talking about A Game of Thrones (and A Song of Ice and Fire) specifically.

You lumped it into something that it's largely not because you A) haven't read it and B) haven't watched it, or you would know that the "mythology" plays largely second fiddle to the political aspects of the plot.

Also FWIW, George RR Martin's version of fantasy isn't atypical of the genre, I know personally many readers who are enjoying ASOIAF, not just fantasy readers.
I watched several of the episodes of games of thrones basically just to see what the fuss was about. Didn't move me. Juvenile theatrics and ham handed villains that are predictable, and uninteresting. Often wooden expectable portrayals. You have to really like the fantasy genre to like this I would imagine.

Maybe it helps to have read the books, I really don't know, but I couldn't force myself to do that.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
I watched several of the episodes of games of thrones basically just to see what the fuss was about. Didn't move me. Juvenile theatrics and ham handed villains that are predictable, and uninteresting. Often wooden expectable portrayals. You have to really like the fantasy genre to like this I would imagine.

Maybe it helps to have read the books, I really don't know, but I couldn't force myself to do that.

In one ear and out the other. I know you have this devils advocate agenda, but you really couldn't be more wrong.

But you're probably right, millions of others are wrong.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:46 AM
CupofOil

Quote:

I understand that you have a right to your opinion but i don't believe that you were watching GOT with an open mind if you think that it's predictable and uninteresting.
Fine, i could see uninteresting since you're not a fan of the genre but there is nothing predictable about GOT unless you read the books before watching the show, i think the unpredictability of the show is part of what draws in the huge audience.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:08 AM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
Game of Thrones >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>> walking dead
all day...

walking dead is great example of good material produced poorly to make below average entertainment which they then market the crap out of to get ratings...

got is awesome material produced with respect to said material which results in amazing show which they dont have to market at all because said show is so good word of mouth simply gets viewers to watch on their own...

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Just going to throw my hand up there as someone who really enjoys this show but is not a fan of the genre. I don't watch any other fantasy series and there are some movies that are okay, that I think were good movies but just not my cup of tea like Lord of the Rings, but for whatever reason I'm loving Game of Thrones. I think it's just the plot, and how the power struggles between characters play out that keep me engaged. But to each his own!

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
Just going to throw my hand up there as someone who really enjoys this show but is not a fan of the genre. I don't watch any other fantasy series and there are some movies that are okay, that I think were good movies but just not my cup of tea like Lord of the Rings, but for whatever reason I'm loving Game of Thrones. I think it's just the plot, and how the power struggles between characters play out that keep me engaged. But to each his own!
Thanks for actually stating what it is specifically you like about the show. This actually makes it a conversation and spreads interest rather than the usual defensive posturing when someone challenges. So often the comments deteriorate like on IMDB.

I liked the Sopranos for the power struggles and character development but one of my specific knocks on GOT is that the characters don't always develop. When I watch the show I get more of a notion of comic book characters. Of cliches, of knowing exactly what a character will be, and how they will behave, almost instantly.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

I like how the sex scenes develope in The Game of Thrones!

Started watching Season 2 last night, thanks to this thread and nothing else on the tube. I'm a little bit lost so I'll need to get Season 1 before resuming season 2.

Good acting and I love Medieval shows anyways, so this series is a good fit for my taste.

I can see why it does not appeal to everyone though.

So far my favorite character is that dwarf prince guy...he's great...where'd they find that guy?

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I understand that you have a right to your opinion but i don't believe that you were watching GOT with an open mind if you think that it's predictable and uninteresting.
Fine, i could see uninteresting since you're not a fan of the genre but there is nothing predictable about GOT unless you read the books before watching the show, i think the unpredictability of the show is part of what draws in the huge audience.
The way HBO has made this and judging from comments its the sex, violence, and depravity that draws a lot of viewers. Again its definitely not my cup of tea, looking at IMDB as well the rating score is astronomically high but then again those that rated were also fans of Trueblood, Buffy, and Dead Like Me, so in comparison GOT must seem epic.