HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: The Walking Dead

Old
07-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

vCash: 500
I haven't really gotten into The Walking Dead, but I am a Game of Thrones fan. Largely through the depth of the characters and quality of dialogue, Game of Thrones makes for great television. HBO's Deadwood was a little bit ahead of its time, but it's a great series as well, despite being prematurely cancelled after the third season.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The way HBO has made this and judging from comments its the sex, violence, and depravity that draws a lot of viewers. Again its definitely not my cup of tea, looking at IMDB as well the rating score is astronomically high but then again those that rated were also fans of Trueblood, Buffy, and Dead Like Me, so in comparison GOT must seem epic.
Nothing wrong with sex, depravity, and violence. It's what makes the world turn.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who likes House of a 1000 corpses, Devils Rejects, Saw series, and grew up reading Fangoria magazines, the Satanic Bible, a book written by Aliester Crowleyhis diaries), and multitudes of real crime books, mostly on serial killers.

But I'm a nice guy, honest.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Nothing wrong with sex, depravity, and violence. It's what makes the world turn.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who likes House of a 1000 corpses, Devils Rejects, Saw series, and grew up reading Fangoria magazines, the Satanic Bible, a book written by Aliester Crowleyhis diaries), and multitudes of real crime books, mostly on serial killers.

Really enjoyed this one but because its really offbase, unique, and incredibly campy. Classic cult movie. It was excellent direction through and through and Zombie hit it right on the mark with that one. Strangely, the rest of the world thinks Devils Rejects was the better movie even though that one is much more typical of the genre and doesn't stand apart. House is the timeless classic imo.

I appreciate things that are well done and different.

Due to following Jimmy Page for a few decades I know a few things about Aleister Crowley.

One of the most fascinating books on serial killers is "Human Hunting" I've had an opportunity to meet the author and have had countless discussions with him. He knows his topic inside and out and the framework he fashions between societal variables and the propagation of underlying conditions for development of serial killer psyches is well worth it.

http://www.mcclelland.com/catalog/di...=9780771050251

This is another great analysis and interview of Ted Bundy in 3rd person fashion allowing the interviewer to probe deeply without Ted 100% confessing. Just brilliant interviews. A forensic work of art that is unparalleled. Puts the fictional "Silence of the Lambs" to shame.

http://www.amazon.com/Ted-Bundy-Conv.../dp/1928704174

Well, Helter Skelter by Bugliosi is definitely up there. I think I must have a whole section on my book shelf of interesting, and disturbing works.

I'm real nice.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-11-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:01 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

Throw in some extreme death and black metal and it sounds like you are talking about me.

Lost interest in the Saw movies though after the first one, thought the second one was kinda of meh and never bothered with the other ones. I am huge horror movie nut though. Tons of old classics I love like the original Dawn Of The Dead, Day of The Dead, The Thing, Halloween, Re-Animator, Night of The Creeps, Return of The Living Dead, My Bloody Valentine, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Savage Streets, Evil Dead 1 & 2, Zombie, The Beyond, Suspiria, Pieces, Black Christmas, Phantasm....

The list is endless. I do like newer horror movies even though I mostly listed old 70s/80s classics. A few recent ones that spring to mind are Laid To Rest, Stake Land, The Dead (2010 movie filmed in Africa in real villages with the villagers as zombies, done kind of in the classic old Romero style).

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Really enjoyed this one but because its really offbase, unique, and incredibly campy. Classic cult movie. It was excellent direction through and through and Zombie hit it right on the mark with that one. Strangely, the rest of the world thinks Devils Rejects was the better movie even though that one is much more typical of the genre and doesn't stand apart. House is the timeless classic imo.

I appreciate things that are well done and different.

Due to following Jimmy Page for a few decades I know a few things about Aleister Crowley.

One of the most fascinating books on serial killers is "Human Hunting" I've had an opportunity to meet the author and have had countless discussions with him. He knows his topic inside and out and the framework he fashions between societal variables and the propagation of underlying conditions for development of serial killer psyches is well worth it.

http://www.mcclelland.com/catalog/di...=9780771050251

This is another great analysis and interview of Ted Bundy in 3rd person fashion allowing the interviewer to probe deeply without Ted 100% confessing. Just brilliant interviews. A forensic work of art that is unparalleled. Puts the fictional "Silence of the Lambs" to shame.

http://www.amazon.com/Ted-Bundy-Conv.../dp/1928704174

Well, Helter Skelter by Bugliosi is definitely up there. I think I must have a whole section on my book shelf of interesting, and disturbing works.

I'm real nice.
I forgot to mention Helter Skelter and my fascination with Crazy Charlie as well
Regarding Human Hunting..didn't read it, but I did read Hunting Humans by Elliot Leyton, great book in that genre as well.

Sounds like we have the same type of interest in the dark side of the human mind.

Here's one for you...I've read Mein Kampf as well, being that my Mother was an avid WW2 buff and a Military wife. She got it way before it was banned.

Sorry for going OT guys. This is the Walking Dead thread.

Here's a cool poster from Comic Con 2012, which is now my desktop wallpaper:

Old
07-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Halibut

Quote:
I liked the Sopranos for the power struggles and character development but one of my specific knocks on GOT is that the characters don't always develop. When I watch the show I get more of a notion of comic book characters. Of cliches, of knowing exactly what a character will be, and how they will behave, almost instantly.
See that's the problem. The characters do start out exactly like that but over time they change. The cliched character tend to get treated as they would in the real world and either get crushed by it or they change. That's one of the big appeals of the book series and the TV show has done a good job of this as well. It plays with those cliches and deconstructs them into real people. It's amazing how some of the characters you absolutely hate early in the series you can empathize with if not fully support later on.

It's a huge book series so if the fantasy elements dont appeal I can understand why it's not to your taste.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Throw in some extreme death and black metal and it sounds like you are talking about me.
Lost interest in the Saw movies though after the first one, thought the second one was kinda of meh and never bothered with the other ones. I am huge horror movie nut though. Tons of old classics I love like the original Dawn Of The Dead, Day of The Dead, The Thing, Halloween, Re-Animator, Night of The Creeps, Return of The Living Dead, My Bloody Valentine, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Savage Streets, Evil Dead 1 & 2, Zombie, The Beyond, Suspiria, Pieces, Black Christmas, Phantasm....

The list is endless. I do like newer horror movies even though I mostly listed old 70s/80s classics. A few recent ones that spring to mind are Laid To Rest, Stake Land, The Dead (2010 movie filmed in Africa in real villages with the villagers as zombies, done kind of in the classic old Romero style).
Like Diecide, Carcass, and Dimmu Borgir, and Darkthrone? Are you lookin in the mirror yet

Old
07-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Carcass is good

the rest of that is a resounding meh

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Carcass is good

Depending on which songs/albums I guess. I'm a really big Dimmu fan though. I think they're great.

Most of my listening tends towards Opeth, Arch Enemy etc....melodic/progressive styles of the genre. I think everyone has a different subset that they prefer.

Old
07-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

The Walking Dead games by Telltale are pretty freaking awesome.

Worth the Five dollars a pop. Sure they aren't really long, but they are fun. I actually felt sorry for some of the characters. While some I just couldn't wait for them to die.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
The Walking Dead games by Telltale are pretty freaking awesome.

Worth the Five dollars a pop. Sure they aren't really long, but they are fun. I actually felt sorry for some of the characters. While some I just couldn't wait for them to die.
yup, finished 1 and 2 in 2 days I liked it so much (and really over the course of what? 2 .. maybe 3 hours)

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:20 PM
TheGudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Carcass is good

Yes! I was crushing out Heartwork on my way to work this morning. I love getting the weird looks from other cars as I'm headbanging away doing airdrums with my windows down. It's funnier because I look like I should be listening to Maroon 5 or some other cheesy band.

Can't wait for season three, I have a feeling they're gonna get their act together and deliver. I've read the comics so expectations are high, but they also have so much to work with to not screw it up. I think a lot may depend on how they develop Michonne.

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Do any of my Metal brethren think it's weird that I'm listening to Blackmore's Night?

Just wondering.

<mod edit>

Last edited by s7ark: 07-11-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: moved to right thread
Old
07-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Like Diecide, Carcass, and Dimmu Borgir, and Darkthrone? Are you lookin in the mirror yet
Yes you pretty much nailed it. I think I still have a VHS where they read my letter requesting a Carcass video on Muchmusic back in the early 90s.

Liked the early rehearsal/demo tapes and 7" vinyl ep Dimmu put out, then they changed their sound and I did not like it. But the rest of the bands on your list is right on the money. I was huge into the Deicide "Legion" and Darkthrone "A Blaze In The Northern Sky" albums when they first came out. Their other albums as well but those two I worshiped haha.

Yes totally like looking in the mirror actually.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 07-11-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

nvm.

Leafs at Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

Lets take a moment to respect the genius of the show that is Breaking Bad, season premiere tonight!

Its hard to believe that such a popular and great quality show will be ending after only 5 seasons. Then again, the Sopranos stretched out way too long, many other shows refused to die and the quality dropped off. The only recent show i can think of that was just as good all of its seasons and continued to finish strong was the Shield.

Oilersfanneedsdrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:02 AM
undertow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfanneedsdrink View Post
Lets take a moment to respect the genius of the show that is Breaking Bad, season premiere tonight!

Its hard to believe that such a popular and great quality show will be ending after only 5 seasons. Then again, the Sopranos stretched out way too long, many other shows refused to die and the quality dropped off. The only recent show i can think of that was just as good all of its seasons and continued to finish strong was the Shield.
dont worry, season 5 will take 2 years. to strech out that joy you get.

undertow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:06 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
dont worry, season 5 will take 2 years. to strech out that joy you get.
It feels ready to end too. At least we know we'll get the story the way it was meant to be told.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:34 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfanneedsdrink View Post

Breaking Bad is ending at the perfect time. Everything is starting to mainfest itself for Walt, it's only a matter of time until there is a climatic ending to Walter White good or bad.
To be honest, the series could have ended with that Season 4 finale, i'm glad that they won't stretch it out too long just for the sake of it.
The only issue i have is that they are spreading out this thing over 2 seasons and are just calling it one long extended season. I would have preferred a good 12 episode season to end things this year than spreading out two 8 episode parts over 2 years.

In any event, the show is freaking genius and i'm counting down the minutes until the premiere tonight. We better enjoy it while we have it because it will be over in only short 8 weeks then the speculation will begin for another long 10 months.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

To throw things back on topic a bit...

Check out the trailer for Walking Dead season 3 that was released at this year's Comiccon! I would suggest watching it to the very end!

Old
07-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

And to go back OT, any fans of Spartacus might find this interesting. I got into the series this summer on holidays and I just love it:

Old
07-30-2012, 09:28 AM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Carcass, Dimmu and Rick Astley.

cheesed-off* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:26 PM
czar99

Tonight's the night!

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 06:48 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
The show is going to be "in tough " without Jon Bernthal's eyebrow-work.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 06:49 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
The show is going to be "in tough " without Jon Bernthal's eyebrow-work.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote