HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: The Walking Dead

Old
11-05-2012, 10:59 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Gut wrenching episode.
I know that just about everybody wanted Lori gone including myself but the way they killed her off was brutal and when they flashed back to the Carl and Rick conversation in the barn, that tugged on my heart and i felt bad that Carl was going to lose his mother.
This season has been nothing short of amazing which is great to see after a disappointing Season 2.
She's not gone yet. Did u see Carl shoot her? Nope...

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:33 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
That's more likely because it would be insanely brutal to show a child shooting his mother in the head on tv.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Gawd she looked like a rack of bones while alive, can't imagine how awful she'd look as a zombie.

Just as a sidenote, they cast the one actress in the series to be a pregnant mom. They pick somebody seemingly anorexic to fill that role. They proceed to stuff her with pillows trying to make it look like she's pregnant/capable of giving birth. While you can see veins popping out of her face anytime she talks and it looks like she has 5% body fat while being pregnant...

On top of that I'm supposed to believe that this individual was capable of carrying to full term while enduring through regular food shortages and significant stress even though this individual would have basically zero strored energy reserves..

Not sure who did the casting and why but... Lori was the strangest pick of the bunch.

Theres enough suspension of belief that goes on in watching something like this. Something as basic as pregnancy shouldn't need to be made equally unbelievable.

I'd have any easier time believing the zombies could give birth.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 11:39 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Gawd she looked like a rack of bones while alive, can't imagine how awful she'd look as a zombie.

Just as a sidenote, they cast the one actress in the series to be a pregnant mom. They pick somebody seemingly anorexic to fill that role. They proceed to stuff her with pillows trying to make it look like she's pregnant/capable of giving birth. While you can see veins popping out of her face anytime she talks and it looks like she has 5% body fat while being pregnant...

On top of that I'm supposed to believe that this individual was capable of carrying to full term while enduring through regular food shortages and significant stress even though this individual would have basically zero strored reserves..

Not sure who did the casting and why but... Lori was the strangest pick of the bunch.

Theres enough suspension of belief that goes on in watching something like this. Something as basic as pregnancy shouldn't need to be made equally unbelievable.

I'd have any easier time believing the zombies could give birth.
I guess I kinda get what you're saying, but I dunno, the human race survived for a long time before technology or even true civilization, so it's not like anything that happened is impossible.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
I guess I kinda get what you're saying, but I dunno, the human race survived for a long time before technology or even true civilization, so it's not like anything that happened is impossible.
Much of that human race didn't have a fervent belief in starving themselves to look like heroine chic versions of Twiggy.

For most of recorded civilization having well rounded form was regarded as a sign of beauty and health and eternalized for all time in any and all artistic impressions of what people considered beauty and health. Even as recently as 50yrs ago Marilyn Monroe was considered the epitome of beauty. Today the tabloids would be calling her fat.

For centuries people that ate well when they could and stored food energy had an ample evolutionary advantage over those who didn't. The point being that people that are 110lbs to begin with have a whole lot of problems living through apocalypse/famine/strife. Few of them I imagine going fullterm to pregnancy amidst that.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:07 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
Much of that human race didn't have a fervent belief in starving themselves to look like heroine chic versions of Twiggy.

For most of recorded civilization having well rounded form was regarded as a sign of beauty and health and eternalized for all time in any and all artistic impressions of what people considered beauty and health. Even as recently as 50yrs ago Marilyn Monroe was considered the epitome of beauty. Today the tabloids would be calling her fat.

For centuries people that ate well when they could and stored food energy had an ample evolutionary advantage over those who didn't. The point being that people that are 110lbs to begin with have a whole lot of problems living through apocalypse/famine/strife. Few of them I imagine going fullterm to pregnancy amidst that.
Then you agree that it's possible? Because that's all I'm saying too. Yeah, the odds were/are probably terrible. And before civilization/with no society, they probably were back then as well.

There isn't a lot of food available, so she's thin. They're not thin by choice. Comparing ideal body styles of the past to body styles in a post-apocalyptic world isn't really saying anything - I'm only referring to the large part of those cultures which were probably not very well fed. Because they did exist somewhere, and still survived. Heck, food was even scarce in colonial America - I know the first generations of my family in NA were exceedingly poor. She's also been forced to become battle-hardened because of the apocalypse, so presumably her body can put up with it.

It's also just an obviously extraordinary circumstance postulated on a tv series. Anywho.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Then you agree that it's possible? Because that's all I'm saying too. Yeah, the odds were/are probably terrible. And before civilization/with no society, they probably were back then as well.

There isn't a lot of food available, so she's thin. They're not thin by choice. Comparing ideal body styles of the past to body styles in a post-apocalyptic world isn't really saying anything - I'm only referring to the large part of those cultures which were probably not very well fed. Because they did exist somewhere, and still survived. Heck, food was even scarce in colonial America - I know the first generations of my family in NA were exceedingly poor. She's also been forced to become battle-hardened because of the apocalypse, so presumably her body can put up with it.

It's also just an obviously extraordinary circumstance postulated on a tv series. Anywho.
heh, thanks for humoring the strange sidebar.

Lori was looking anorexic when the series started. It isn't a matter of what the body can put up with or endure. At some point its about body shutdown and organ failure. An anorexic person in an apocalyptic/famine/diseased world is somehow feeding herself and her fetus while looking like a skeleton throughout.
I just wonder about the caloric requirements to deliver a healthy child to fullterm.

She, and the fetus also survived a serious car accident with no perceived injury. I don't know that even the next scene in the series noted any consequence of the car accident. It was like Wile E Coyote falling off cliffs and blowing himself up and then theres the next plotting scene.

Oh well beep beep, the witch is dead..

What an odd thing for me to be thinking about it in the series..

Old
11-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
She's dead. I'm pretty sure of that, but there is a reason she's not "off the show" dead. I won't spoil it for you but its in the comics.

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:24 PM
awesomo
HARD!

so many people wanted lori dead.

im surprised they killed off t-dog so fast. the poor guy barely got any significant lines throughout the seasons. and he also got hines ward to cameo as a walker.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
She's dead. I'm pretty sure of that, but there is a reason she's not "off the show" dead. I won't spoil it for you but its in the comics.
You just did spoil it for most of us.

I mean the 99.9% that prefer not ever seeing her back. Well maybe for a few seconds while she gets a spear and an axe in her head.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
I kind of feel like I'm supposed to know more about Michonne, the Governer, etc. Kind of strange stuff too. I can't figure out whey the Governer lets some people live while he assasinates people that would be particularly useful. I mean they're guarding what is becoming a self contained town and he kills a bunch of soldiers instead of incorporating them? Doesn't make a lot of sense. Again seems like I'm missing something here.
I haven't read the comics so I don't know, but I can see killing the soldiers. Taking in a group of soldiers with pre-existing loyalties and trained to respond to a commander that isn't you, could simply be inviting in rebels into your town. If I were the governor, I would probably have similar concerns.

Taking in one soldier is fine. Taking in an entire squad is an entirely different matter.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I haven't read the comics so I don't know, but I can see killing the soldiers. Taking in a group of soldiers with pre-existing loyalties and trained to respond to a commander that isn't you, could simply be inviting in rebels into your town. If I were the governor, I would probably have similar concerns.

Taking in one soldier is fine. Taking in an entire squad is an entirely different matter.
This. The Governor is good a controlling his misfit squad with obviously questionable morals. He doesn't really want anyone that would challenge his leadership. He wants to be seen as some kind of messiah to the people he lets live there. That's the only way you can ask people to kill innocent live humans.

Old
11-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

But he killed that particular soldier as well I thought. He survived the crash, seemed to be doing fine. But then we see his head in a jar..

Old
11-05-2012, 01:05 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
But he killed that particular soldier as well I thought. He survived the crash, seemed to be doing fine. But then we see his head in a jar..
Yeah... maybe because that pilot would know his army-mates could never have been overrun by a normal zombie mob? Maybe other reasons...

edit - btw, I totally agree about Lori surviving the car-crash while pregnant and having no adverse effects. I agree she'd have been in fragile enough condition for a miscarriage already. She is (was?) a bit too much of an odds-beater, heheh.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:10 PM
misfit

Quote:
I missed the first 10 minutes of last nights episode so suddenly I'm seeing tons of walkers in a carefully enclosed jail compound..

What happened? Was this revealed because without that it seemed like a plot device for more cowboys kill zombies scenes.
Yeah. The episode starts with an unidentified man breaking the chains on the fences with an axe and luring zombies into the prison. You of course find out who that was later on.

Quote:
This seems like an entirely different series than last season. Last year they went entire plot/character development. This year unless you're familiar with the comic books its kind of harder to follow.

I kind of feel like I'm supposed to know more about Michonne, the Governer, etc. Kind of strange stuff too. I can't figure out whey the Governer lets some people live while he assasinates people that would be particularly useful. I mean they're guarding what is becoming a self contained town and he kills a bunch of soldiers instead of incorporating them? Doesn't make a lot of sense. Again seems like I'm missing something here.
Well last year people complained about how everything dragged on, and this year it's moving a lot faster. You don't get to learn as much about the characters as you would that way, so it's kind of a trade off. With that said, the Governor is supposed to be a mystery and Michonne as well. Even Andrea mentioned in an earlier episode this season how that even though they had spent the entire winter together she still knew nothing about her.

As for the Governor's reason for killing certain people and letting others live probably has to do with control. Taking in individuals, especially ones in trouble (Merle having lost a hand/Andrea being sick/etc.) would probably be ones with more reason to follow you than a group of soldiers. No doubt they would be usefull if he could get them on his side, but they're probably a lot more difficult to control or resist if they decided to turn on him.

11-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
This. The Governor is good a controlling his misfit squad with obviously questionable morals. He doesn't really want anyone that would challenge his leadership. He wants to be seen as some kind of messiah to the people he lets live there. That's the only way you can ask people to kill innocent live humans.
Of course the other choice would be simply being a good leader and in charge of a benevolent, altruistic, symbiotic collective rather than a murderous society but I guess that would be less entertaining.

Damn I'm an idealist..

Old
11-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Of course the other choice would be simply being a good leader and in charge of a benevolent, altruistic, symbiotic collective rather than a murderous society but I guess that would be less entertaining.

Damn I'm an idealist..
Right, but Rick's story has gone to show how hard it is to be the benevolent guy, post-zombie apocalypse. Its already been displayed that the living are proving to be more dangerous than the dead. If you trust the wrong person, things go bad in a hurry. And it seems like a lot of the people who have survived so far are less than savory characters.

The only difference between Rick and the Governor in that regard, is that rick didn't kill ALL of the guys who might want to join the group. But he wasn't far off.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:59 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Looks like you already did.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Looks like you already did.
My Bad.

The comics are quite a bit different from the series though, so I may have spoiled wrong anyway.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

I need my fix. I bet Daryll and Merle find each other.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I need my fix. I bet Daryll and Merle find each other.
Yeah. (neither of these two are in the comics so I'm just guessing)
I think these two meeting up are how the two groups find each other. Daryll's allegiance will be tested. Things are going to get dark(er).

Old
11-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
He did. That particular soldier, if alive, would ask too many questions about his buddies.

One lone soldier - with no buddies assassinated by the governor, is fine.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
My Bad.

The comics are quite a bit different from the series though, so I may have spoiled wrong anyway.
She isn't coming back. That was Carl's scene. Fantastic job by the actor playing him. Easily my favorite character in the comics and the show.

I'm predicting that Merle becomes the new Governor after killing the current one on their future scouting trip. Then things will get really greasy.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
I think he likes loner types that he can more easily control, manipulate and be the leader to. Military men might stand up to him, organize against and challenge his authority.

He also may be in the mode of wanting to take in more women at this stage of things.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Quote:
Oh thats priceless.
The best part of that Scene is that the zombie is on the shoulder and she is still driving between the lines but for some post-apocalyptic unknowing reason she verse into him and off the road instead of simply avoiding him. Maybe she was a goalie in her past life. And perhaps she should have used those instincts to fend off Shane's semen and prevent him from impregnating her......

I just finished season two on Netflix. How far along is season 3?

Last edited by Grod: 11-07-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Grod is offline   Reply With Quote