HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: The Walking Dead

Old
12-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
Queue psychopath governor?
It took a while, but he's finally here.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:15 AM
spyderjam

vCash: 500
that was an absolutely amazing episode. Glad they showed a preview for when it starts up again. the preview has some revealing things in it.

spyderjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Daneo21

vCash: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
It took a while, but he's finally here.
Should be interesting to see how mental he will become from here on out... As jaddeddog said earlier that he looks like mr dress up compared to the comics, i think now he just absolutely loses it and becomes the insane mad man he is supposed to be

Pretty exciting stuff coming up, but not a fan of a 2 month break... stupidest thing you can do in a 13 episode season... i would think it would be horrible for ratings too, the plot is building up and its keeping you on the edge of your seat then all of a sudden 2 month break happens and people will lose interest (just my 2 cents)

Daneo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:12 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
OV vs. Crosby?

Crosby was taken down a notch...but won the game. OV is going to have to be a gamer from here on out to get the series.

Hemmer vs. Regehr?

They're at it once again. Maybe they can bury the hatchet now that Regehr seems to be heading to FA/.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:13 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Should be interesting to see how mental he will become from here on out... As jaddeddog said earlier that he looks like mr dress up compared to the comics, i think now he just absolutely loses it and becomes the insane mad man he is supposed to be

Pretty exciting stuff coming up, but not a fan of a 2 month break... stupidest thing you can do in a 13 episode season... i would think it would be horrible for ratings too, the plot is building up and its keeping you on the edge of your seat then all of a sudden 2 month break happens and people will lose interest (just my 2 cents)
I think you can make a living just off of DVD sales nowadays.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:

The 2 month break is actually brilliant for ratings. It allows them to have 2 premiers and 2 finales in one year. Finales and premiers are great for ratings. In season 2, the 2.5 premier had higher ratings than any episode in the first half of season 2,and the rest of the episodes in the second half consistently had higher ratings than the first half (although the later episodes were probably due to people noticing that the show improved greatly in the second half, but that wouldn't affect the s2.5 premier's ratings)

Plus, again with people not fully understanding that if we put up with 2 months now, that's 2 months less we have to wait for season 4 after 3 is ended. 2 smaller breaks is much more manageable than 1 giant one.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Cam98

Quote:

um... i thought this season has 16 episodes? did they confirm 13?

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:27 AM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Quote:

I found it interesting that they showed Daryl in the preview of the second half right after the show. We all knew that he probably wouldn't get killed but why even bother ending on a cliffhanger if you're going to reveal the result immediately after?

I think Michonne is badly in need of some character development next half. Sure the Governor sent men after her to kill but for her to slaughter his (already dead) daughter in front of him while he pleaded for her not to makes Michonne seem even more heartless than he is. I thought she'd be more interested in finding Andrea and turning her against the Governor by telling her what she knows but so be it.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:27 AM
MrWoof
DBU luvs me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
um... i thought this season has 16 episodes? did they confirm 13?
It's a 16 episode season.

MrWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Perfect_Drug

That was tense.

Spent 45 mins grinding my teeth.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:18 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Who is the bigger b&^%$%#?

Shane or the Governor?

And why is Andrea attracted to both of them?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Who is the bigger b&^%$%#?

Shane or the Governor?

And why is Andrea attracted to both of them?
Good question. Especially considering that it was revealed in season 2 that she was, before the Zombie apocalypse, a civil rights lawyer.

Maybe she didn't like her job.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Good question. Especially considering that it was revealed in season 2 that she was, before the Zombie apocalypse, a civil rights lawyer.

Maybe she didn't like her job.
Andreas taste in creeps?

In what world are there not plenty of women who are chronically attracted to DB's?

I could deliver a thesis on this topic. Not from personal experience but from observation and reading.

Some would speculate that the attraction to aggressive males is hardwired inate behavior that goes back to the stoneage. Its the hunter/gatherer/protection thang.

OT but bling is also a stoneage concept. With loud fools gold necklaces and bad rap videos taking the place of Thak and his big club and Bear teeth bracelet. Not sure how I got on that tangent but anyway..

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Merle is a man without a home now. He's lost the trust of the Governor. He won't be welcome with Rick's group. And it kind of looks like the Governor wants these two to fight to the death. We see Daryl in the preview. But does Merle have what it takes to escape and make it on his own again? Does he sacrifice himself so Daryl can escape?

Neilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 09:47 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
please no spoilers in answering this...
Is walking dead as good as Lost was?
I have only seen a few seasons of lost..no walking dead

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Seen all of both. Walking Dead is better.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:03 AM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Merle is a man without a home now. He's lost the trust of the Governor. He won't be welcome with Rick's group. And it kind of looks like the Governor wants these two to fight to the death. We see Daryl in the preview. But does Merle have what it takes to escape and make it on his own again? Does he sacrifice himself so Daryl can escape?
I'm guessing Merle makes it judging by the preview for Feb.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Just my opinion, but I wasn't a big fan of Lost after the first two seasons. It seemed like they had a nice story arc for those. Then when they had to start watering it down to keep it going, it got convoluted and ridiculous (again, just my opinion). I got the impression that they were just making it up as they went along in the end.

The Walking Dead has been written for a long time. I think Kirkman said he's been writing it for 15 years. They have to adapt a lot of the story for TV, and to keep the comic crowd guessing, but its a much stronger and continuous story line. Even though Zombies are kind of a make-believe genre, its more about how people survive when civilization breaks down and how they deal with the choices they're forced to make.

Old
12-03-2012, 10:10 AM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
Lost was awesome...until the last season

Walking Dead is great...no Breaking Bad but still great

The Last Dynasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 10:45 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
I found it interesting that they showed Daryl in the preview of the second half right after the show. We all knew that he probably wouldn't get killed but why even bother ending on a cliffhanger if you're going to reveal the result immediately after?

I think Michonne is badly in need of some character development next half. Sure the Governor sent men after her to kill but for her to slaughter his (already dead) daughter in front of him while he pleaded for her not to makes Michonne seem even more heartless than he is. I thought she'd be more interested in finding Andrea and turning her against the Governor by telling her what she knows but so be it.
I had the same thought regarding Darryl's appearance in the episode 9 preview. Though I don't remember seeing Merle, so maybe the Governor/citizens of Woodbury make them square off in some kind of twisted fight to the death.

As for Michonne, the score she was settling with the Governor was basically to get back at him for sending Merle off after her when she left. Don't get me wrong, trying to kill her is a pretty good reason for her to want the guy dead, but it's an incredibly risky move on her part to waltz right intot he heart of Woodbury for that. In the comic, there was a definite score to settle and made sense for her to go to such ends to get revenge. I don't know if she comes off hearless, exactly, considering it was a zombie that she killed (we've seen Rick do that twice now) but she does come off a little reckless to me, which is really not what Michonne is known for.

12-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

As for Michonne, the score she was settling with the Governor was basically to get back at him for sending Merle off after her when she left. Don't get me wrong, trying to kill her is a pretty good reason for her to want the guy dead, but it's an incredibly risky move on her part to waltz right intot he heart of Woodbury for that. In the comic, there was a definite score to settle and made sense for her to go to such ends to get revenge. I don't know if she comes off hearless, exactly, considering it was a zombie that she killed (we've seen Rick do that twice now) but she does come off a little reckless to me, which is really not what Michonne is known for.
I think Michonne was clever enough to figure out the Governor's bad side early. She knew he killed the military guys and lied about it. When he sent the guys to have her killed, she could have kept going on her own. But I think she came back because Andrea is still there. After their little face off there, I think that friendship is pretty much over.

As far as killing Penny, she's not sentimental about people after they've turned. The Governor's reaction makes you feel that she's still a kid, but Michonne doesn't care. Its much kinder to kill them than let them live on as Zombies. I saw her doing that as saying, "how could you let your child live like this?". You saw how gentle she was with her before she knew she was a Zombie.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:38 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
walking dead is a lot better, it's not even close... lost was just fricken DUMB after the first 2 seasons

i do have some fears for the walking deads future though, because at the pace the TV show is going, the plot will move ahead of the comics by season 5 (roughly anyhow).... the TV show hasn't been following the comics 100%, but they have followed the main plot points... if the TV series continues beyond the comic plot, i don't like the chances of the writing being good... this is especially true because the worst plot twists in the TV series have not been in the comics, and the comic book plot was 100% better... once TV writers are left to their "cliff-hanger-tendencies" i fear the show will take a nose-dive

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:39 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Lost was awesome...until the last season

Walking Dead is great...no Breaking Bad but still great
thanks for the answers...I got alot of catching up to do, never seen walking dead or breaking bad

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
walking dead is a lot better, it's not even close... lost was just fricken DUMB after the first 2 seasons

i do have some fears for the walking deads future though, because at the pace the TV show is going, the plot will move ahead of the comics by season 5 (roughly anyhow).... the TV show hasn't been following the comics 100%, but they have followed the main plot points... if the TV series continues beyond the comic plot, i don't like the chances of the writing being good... this is especially true because the worst plot twists in the TV series have not been in the comics, and the comic book plot was 100% better... once TV writers are left to their "cliff-hanger-tendencies" i fear the show will take a nose-dive
This season has been fast paced. But there will be more opportunities to stretch out the story a bit still. They did too much of that in season 2. That whole farm sequence was barely a chapter in the comics. This season makes up for that in intensity, but at some point they will have to slow back down to let us get to know some of the new faces we're seeing. Even so, how long should the show go on for? I'd rather have 5 or 6 epic seasons, than 7 or 8 where I've lost interest at the end.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:47 PM
misfit

Quote:
thanks for the answers...I got alot of catching up to do, never seen walking dead or breaking bad
Breaking bad is amazing, but if you're going to watch back to back (netflix, DVD, etc.), I would probably advise not watching more than 1 or 2 episodes in a day. It's incredibly well written, but it'll get your blood pressure up.

I would put Walking Dead right up there with Breaking Bad in terms of quality, but you can do a marathon Walking Dead session and get caught up over a much shorter period of time (there are also only about 20-25 episodes as opposed to about 60 of BB). In fact, AMC is running a WD marathon on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day if you were so inclined.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote