HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Walking Dead

Old
11-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You know its bad when you start liking the acting of the zombies more than the humans.

Whoever had this budget and advertising and support and came up with this tepid storyline, premise, actions, should be banished to daytime soaps and evaluating how Clarissa should screw Edward out of his life savings..

Yeah lets go back to Atlanta, the episode needs some more punch.. lets screw your husbands police partner and create some melodrama..
Have you read the comic?

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:13 PM
jadeddog

i think its funny how most people that have read the comic seem to want a slower story line and most people who haven't read it seem to want "more action".... i know its a vast generalization (hey, i'm on the internet, aren't i SUPPOSED to generalize ), but i think its a pretty funny generalization at least

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Yeah lets go back to Atlanta, the episode needs some more punch.. lets screw your husbands police partner and create some melodrama.

He was going to Atlanta to get his Walkie Talkie to warn the man and son who saved his life. They are on their way there. Pretty logically, as the protagonist is still new to this Zombie Apocalypse, and still is trying to hold onto his morals.

What is wrong with that? The fact they can go look for Merle and the guns is a bonus. If you find something wrong with that plot movement I would really like to hear it.

As far as screwing his partner? It's human nature to be attracted to those who you share a loss with. It's called shared remorse, it can be a powerful thing. Relationships don't build the way they do in the normal world when each hour could be your last. Does it not seem logical that the only man you know from your past life, would end up being your mate? They both get what they need, an outlet from the apocalypse, security, and they have a shared unspoken connection because they lost their husband and best friend in conjunction.

Honestly, the only thing I have problems with is the fact they live in a tent city and not a fortified dwelling somewhere.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 12:37 PM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
this show is pretty brutal. gave it a fair shot for 4 episodes. its like The Stand TV series in every shape and form but with Zombies thrown in. same cliche problems and bad ideas. same kind of "feel" in the production value and dialog. sub par acting.

im sure the comics might be better but the show execution is corny as hell.

ep 4 was baaaaaad.

zombies arent exciting. the 'human' (aka western capitalist turned survivalist d o u c h e) drama in between is even less.
media ABORTION
WOW, i couldn't disagree more with this.... The interaction between the characters is very interesting, the acting is pretty solid for a Zombie series and the Zombies are extremely exciting, the final scene is last night's episode was really intense and i don't know how anybody can think otherwise. To each their own i suppose, this is one of the best shows on television imo.

CupofOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Have you read the comic?
No, I'm old as dirt, I stopped reading comics..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
He was going to Atlanta to get his Walkie Talkie to warn the man and son who saved his life. They are on their way there. Pretty logically, as the protagonist is still new to this Zombie Apocalypse, and still is trying to hold onto his morals.
The same person doesn't walk away from that situation in the first place or lock somebody up like that like a rabid dog under that circumstance.
Or smear zombie entrails all over themselves to desperately escape certain death and with the mission to boldly reunite with family. All for the purpose of going back to Atlanta to what should be certain death part 2 and leaving his family, son behind, to rescue some jack ass he punched out and locked up in the first place. No I don't buy it. Should I? How would an ethical father leave his son behind to uncertainty in that world? If theres any biological imperative involved in any of this its that one. That protection of progeny would be the strongest drive.

Quote:
What is wrong with that? The fact they can go look for Merle and the guns is a bonus. If you find something wrong with that plot movement I would really like to hear it.
Why would they not retrieve the guns in the first place?

Quote:
As far as screwing his partner? It's human nature to be attracted to those who you share a loss with. It's called shared remorse, it can be a powerful thing. Relationships don't build the way they do in the normal world when each hour could be your last.
How would you presume to know that? This is inferred unless you've come back in time ala Schwarzenegger from a future holocaust.

Quote:
Does it not seem logical that the only man you know from your past life, would end up being your mate? They both get what they need, an outlet from the apocalypse, security, and they have a shared unspoken connection because they lost their husband and best friend in conjunction.
In typical comic book fashion it reduces the female of the species to lowest common denominator.
Assumes some sort of biological imperative that a strong willed independent female needs to mate with somebody quickly as if this is a pack of tribal baboons and she needs to quickly mark her spot in the hierarchy lest she be slaughtered by a rival gorilla..

Its the type of thing Robert Crumb would assume as a joke.

Neither Rick, or his wifes actions resemble what a person would do in anyway. Unless they were high on crystal meth.

Last edited by Replacement: 11-22-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 01:36 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post

As far as screwing his partner? It's human nature to be attracted to those who you share a loss with. It's called shared remorse, it can be a powerful thing. Relationships don't build the way they do in the normal world when each hour could be your last. Does it not seem logical that the only man you know from your past life, would end up being your mate? They both get what they need, an outlet from the apocalypse, security, and they have a shared unspoken connection because they lost their husband and best friend in conjunction.

Honestly, the only thing I have problems with is the fact they live in a tent city and not a fortified dwelling somewhere.
That's another one. It's just painfully obvious. Like any work of fiction, the first intent must be to suppress the the targeted audiences' scense of disbelief. The show isn't doing it for me. I never read the graphic novel/comic but it's not hard to fathom that the producers are doing very little with the subject matter they have at hand. I love zombie movies; it doesn't matter if they're camp and action filled or have a serious message. Romero is a perfect example, even his best are full of holes, but I'm more than willing to go along for the ride.

With the 'The Walking Dead,' I don't want to associate with the characters. I don't like any of them, the character develompment is brutal IMO, I just want them eaten. I'm cheering for the zombies in this show.

The good. If there are only six episodes this season, you can almost guarantee that they want to exit the season on a high note, and we are most likely in for a substantially higher quality final two episodes. If not they better look to retool. I never liked the 'Lost' series. I hope they can distance 'The Walking Dead' away from that format.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
That's another one. It's just painfully obvious. Like any work of fiction, the first intent must be to suppress the the targeted audiences' scense of disbelief. The show isn't doing it for me. I never read the graphic novel/comic but it's not hard to fathom that the producers are doing very little with the subject matter they have at hand. I love zombie movies; it doesn't matter if they're camp and action filled or have a serious message. Romero is a perfect example, even his best are full of holes, but I'm more than willing to go along for the ride.

With the 'The Walking Dead,' I don't want to associate with the characters. I don't like any of them, the character develompment is brutal IMO, I just want them eaten. I'm cheering for the zombies in this show.

The good. If there are only six episodes this season, you can almost guarantee that they want to exit the season on a high note, and we are most likely in for a substantially higher quality final two episodes. If not they better look to retool. I never liked the 'Lost' series. I hope they can distance 'The Walking Dead' away from that format.
Oh, in the comic,
Spoil:
they end up in an abandoned prison. how's that for fortification? Also, Rick was really adamant for moving the camp out to prevent attacks, but look what happens.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:08 PM
enthropi

Quote:
The same person doesn't walk away from that situation in the first place or lock somebody up like that like a rabid dog under that circumstance.
Or smear zombie entrails all over themselves to desperately escape certain death and with the mission to boldly reunite with family. All for the purpose of going back to Atlanta to what should be certain death part 2 and leaving his family, son behind, to rescue some jack ass he punched out and locked up in the first place. No I don't buy it. Should I? How would an ethical father leave his son behind to uncertainty in that world? If theres any biological imperative involved in any of this its that one. That protection of progeny would be the strongest drive.

Why would they not retrieve the guns in the first place?

How would you presume to know that? This is inferred unless you've come back in time ala Schwarzenegger from a future holocaust.

In typical comic book fashion it reduces the female of the species to lowest common denominator.
Assumes some sort of biological imperative that a strong willed independent female needs to mate with somebody quickly as if this is a pack of tribal baboons and she needs to quickly mark her spot in the hierarchy lest she be slaughtered by a rival gorilla..

Neither Rick, or his wifes actions resemble what a person would do in anyway. Unless they were high on crystal meth.
The whole wife situation is poorly developed here compared to the comic. It isn't really obvious enough that the co-worker/friend has had his eye on that woman for a long time and is placing himself in a position for emotional manipulation. In fact, I think their (first? only?) intercourse is borderline forced upon her in the comic book.

Meh, what I'm saying is that, sadly, the tv show will never be able to push the boundaries of sanity (or the loss of it) the way the comic book did... Which is really what makes the comic book so interesting. Just seeing how the conflict with the other survivors was resolved in this episode, it's pretty much contrary to the comic book's plot, looks like this series will fall short and most notably on the psychological level.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 02:30 PM
the word*

Off topic, but half the posts in this thread are off topic, and they are the interesting ones.

Inception is a great movie. I started watching it twice and only got through twenty minutes total. Two fast and confusing, I didn't think I would like it, but patience.... I watched the rest and was on the edge of my seat. I'll probably watch it again this weak.

DiCaprio is putting together some solid performances as of late, choosing some impressive projects. Inception, The Departed, Shutter Island, The Aviator, Blood Diamond, and Gangs of New York are all top notch IMO. There's something for everyone, even for the folks that hate 'Hollywood' releases.

Old
11-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Reading some of these posts has me thinking some of you are trying too hard to criticize the show. Complaining about production value? It's not a big budget movie... Hollywood films have huge budgets and they take years to produce. This is a cable TV show, OK? Season 2 should be better assuming ratings stay strong.

As far as the story I'm liking it quite a bit. I can't think of the last time I bother watching a tv show on a weekly basis. I usually wait for shows to come out with 2-3 seasons before I bother watching and then I can watch it at my convenience but Walking Dead manages to keep me interested regardless.

The only thing that bugs me about the show is they don't seem smart at all when it comes to safety. Driving the stang all the way back to camp with a car alarm blaring was incredibly moronic. Sleeping in camping tents isn't the greatest idea either. There's no way they can erect some walls around their camp? Come up with an escape plan?

Personally I'd want to be right next to a body of water (source of food plus I doubt zombies could swim), erect a fence/wall/something around the camp, if zombies attack hop a boat across the body of water, keep a couple vehicles on the other side to escape in.

That's not really a valid knock on the show though because it really wouldn't be all that hard to protect yourself from brainless stumbling zombies. All you'd really need is a high enough wall and they would never get past it. Doesn't make for great entertainment if they're not vulnerable though.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 05:24 PM
the word*

'The walking Dead' is better than 90% of the crap out there. I only watch a very few programs and it made my list. Anyway you slice it it's a weekly zombie drama. How can you pass that up. It might be taking some shots, but were still watching.

Man, just caught episode 10 of 'Dexter.' Wow.

Old
11-22-2010, 06:33 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Maybe some of you guys should watch boardwalk empire instead. Good show

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
the word*

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Haven't watched a single episode yet but I'll watch the entire first season in a couple of weeks. Got 'em all saved in HD.

Old
11-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
  • -His son was safe, with many other people, or so he thought, they had survived just fine there for a while. Death wasn't certain, as he wouldn't be making the mistake of coming in shooting, the Asian guy had made many trips safely thought Atlanta. The situation is much different now.

Why would they not retrieve the guns in the first place? - Too many Zombies, they had dicipated naturally over time, instead of all being huddled around the horse.

How would you presume to know that? This is inferred unless you've come back in time ala Schwarzenegger from a future holocaust. - I don't know about you, but the generally courting rituals of modern day society probably don't exist when your all on the run from zombies, just a hunch, I know I would change my views on the subject.

Assumes some sort of biological imperative that a strong willed independent female needs to mate with somebody quickly as if this is a pack of tribal baboons and she needs to quickly mark her spot in the hierarchy lest she be slaughtered by a rival gorilla.. You have no idea what happened in the time he was in a coma at the hospital. Nor do you have information on their relationship prior to the zombie outbreak. Nothing is wrong with wanting companionship. I know I like it. You don't think it's even remotely plausible in a real world situation to fall for someone after a traumatic ordeal was shared amongst the two?

Neither Rick, or his wifes actions resemble what a person would do in anyway. Unless they were high on crystal meth. I'll disagree 100%.
Replies in green, for a zombie theme.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 02:53 AM
shogun99

Episode 1 was awesome, it set the bar to high for episodes 2-4 to follow. To much bad acting in episodes 2-4, the big black guy and the white supremicist guy are pretty bad but the worst actor by far is the main characters wife. Her acting is so annoyingly bad that i've resorted to fast forwarding any extended scene she is in. It's still a pretty good show and hopefully episodes 5-6 can come close to episode 1.

shogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Oilerdiehard

A little late posting but I just found this.

The Walking Dead draws 6 million viewers for season finale episode.

Quote:
The Walking Dead set series highs in its finale and made some basic cable history in its first season. The finale scored 6 million viewers and a 4 million viewers age 18-49 (a 3.0 adults 18-49 rating). Impressive numbers.

New York, NY – December 6, 2010 – Sunday night’s finale of AMC’s “The Walking Dead” attracted four million viewers in the Adult 18-49 demo. With a series average of 3.5 million Adults 18-49, “The Walking Dead” is the most watched drama series in basic cable history for the demo.* The finale was the most-watched episode of the season, garnering a 4.1 HH rating and attracting six million total viewers. The final episode ranks first for Adults 18-49 delivery among basic cable for a drama series.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...9-rating/74468

I am stoked for season 2 (which of course was greenlit a while back) and happy that that it is doing really well. I personally never thought a Zombie series would draw those kinds of numbers.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I am stoked for season 2 (which of course was greenlit a while back) and happy that that it is doing really well. I personally never thought a Zombie series would draw those kinds of numbers.
It's especially interesting because the show got worse as it went on. I literally watched the last two episodes at 1.5x regular speed; improved it dramatically.

I heard they completely changed the writing staff for next season, so maybe it won't suck quite as bad.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Philly85
Raps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
boardwalk empire is better, but still slow, and still mediocre.

the walking dead just sucks. Couldn't watch more than 2 episodes. for horror/zombie buffs I understand if they enjoy it though.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
It's especially interesting because the show got worse as it went on. I literally watched the last two episodes at 1.5x regular speed; improved it dramatically.

I heard they completely changed the writing staff for next season, so maybe it won't suck quite as bad.
Last couple episodes needed more zombies, less psychopathic humans..

I keep waiting for the one foot guy to show up for some revenge. What happened to him?

The melodrama between the former officer partners is the strangest thing yet. Who could believe you would want to shoot your life and death partner?

Plus these guys are rank amateurs. Get to the coast, find some food, some gas, or not, and get on an abandoned yacht and sail away.

Zombies don't make good sailors last I heard..

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post

The last couple were not as good as the earlier episodes. But I still personally enjoyed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
boardwalk empire is better, but still slow, and still mediocre.

the walking dead just sucks. Couldn't watch more than 2 episodes. for horror/zombie buffs I understand if they enjoy it though.
Check out the first page of this thread. I take it your opinion on Boardwalk Empire changed. You went from it crushes and the production and writing are top notch and compared it to your fave show The Wire. To now it is slow and mediocre apparently.

Personally I did think Boardwalk started off a little slow. But as the season went on I got into it more and more. Thought it was great by the end.

Funny you mention it sucks after a couple episodes. Because I watched the first 2 or 3 of the The Wire season 1 when it was originally broadcast and thought the exact same thing and stopped watching.

I have had enough people since then tell me I should have stuck with it. That I do plan to give it another try with my Netflix in the near future.

Have you watched that Treme on HBO? I think that is from the some or most of the same team and some actors from The Wire is it not?

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 01-14-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old
01-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Roof Daddy

I just recently watched this show, and I'd say its better than most shows out there right now. Hopefully they keep it up, because a lot of shows seem to drop off with lazy writers who seem to patch story lines together with random **** for their own convenience. Perfect example is Sons of Anarchy. Really liked the first season and a half (even if it was a bit cheesy). But the end of the 2nd season just totally went against everything that would actually happen in a biker gang in a lame attempt to build a cheese-dick cliff hanger. Nothing wrong with building suspense, but it should happen naturally, not just dumped on your lap because there is 9 minutes left in the final episode of the season.

I guess not everything can be Deadwood.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I guess not everything can be Deadwood.
Huge Deadwood fan. I still can not believe they canceled it when they did (from bits and pieces I heard about the following season that was to be it sounded like it would have been great). Then they replaced it with that clunker I attempted to get into John From Cincinnati. Which despite a solid cast had the plug pulled in no time flat.

Old
08-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
The Walking Dead Season 2

I was going to bump the old thread, but it seems to be archived by HF. Here is a trailer for season 2, which is starting in October!

I did this because me and my daughter just watched season 1 on Blue Ray the last couple of nights...what a great series!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Awesome. Are the Oilers in it?

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 07:51 PM
awesomo
HARD!

lets hope they dont blow their money on the 1st episode like they did last season.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote