HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spacek to sit next game?

Old
11-01-2010, 06:58 PM
SB164

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
So...O'Byrne-Gill? Are you ****ing crazy?
Picard - Gill

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:00 PM
PricePkPatch

Isn't Spacek a passable forward too? Put him with Gomez and Gionta, or put him on the 3rd trio and pull somebody from there with Gomer.

Maybe that will shake a little our offense.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I would be surprised if Spacek is scratched.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 07:49 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I would be surprised if Spacek is scratched.
The more I think about it the more I agree. The man has been a warrior and has offered to play on his offside. I'm not crazy about the situation. I hope Martin separates the two Czechs and the pairing of Subban and Markov.

Spacek has been a trooper and I'd like to see him given another chance in a different situation (w/Markov, Hamrlik /Subban). If it doesn't go well then I guess the alternative (pressbox) is inevitable.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
The more I think about it the more I agree. The man has been a warrior and has offered to play on his offside. I'm not crazy about the situation. I hope Martin separates the two Czechs and the pairing of Subban and Markov.

Spacek has been a trooper and I'd like to see him given another chance in a different situation (w/Markov, Hamrlik /Subban). If it doesn't go well then I guess the alternative (pressbox) is inevitable.
People love to jump on Spacek. I don't know why really, without him last year, there's no way we can maintain a .500 record without Markov. But he was being crapped on as much as he is now, the difference is that we had nobody waiting in the press box. Markov and O'Byrne both got injured in the 1st and 2nd game respectively. Had both of them been healthy, I'm convinced they would have rallied to scratch him and bring O'Byrne in.

He only has 5 giveaways but to hear people, you'd think he has 5 of them per game. Gorges leads our team with 11 of them, then PK follows with 8.
And his ratio is actually a positive one as he has 6 takeaways, tied first with Gionta.
He's a +2 and averages 20min/gp.

I realize that these stats don't necessarily translate how a player is performing, but I really don't think he's as bad as morons like Bergeron and Therrien make it seem.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:12 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
People love to jump on Spacek. I don't know why really, without him last year, there's no way we can maintain a .500 record without Markov. But he was being crapped on as much as he is now, the difference is that we had nobody waiting in the press box. Markov and O'Byrne both got injured in the 1st and 2nd game respectively. Had both of them been healthy, I'm convinced they would have rallied to scratch him and bring O'Byrne in.

He only has 5 giveaways but to hear people, you'd think he has 5 of them per game. Gorges leads our team with 11 of them, then PK follows with 8.

And his ratio is actually a positive one as he has 6 takeaways, tied first with Gionta.
He's a +2 and averages 20min/gp.

I realize that these stats don't necessarily translate how a player is performing, but I really don't think he's as bad as morons like Bergeron and Therrien make it seem.
I don't put much weight into giveaways either but amongst the fan base/media if Hamrlik/Spacek have a lot of giveaways it certainly is more detrimental than Markov, Gorges or Gill having the same.

It's a difficult situation IMO for Spacek, Hamrlik, the rest of the D and the coaching staff. The team went 6 - 1 - 1 with Hamrlik and Spacek facing the top lines. That deserves some merit IMHO. They are plus players and have some points.

We'll see I guess but I hope Martin thinks twice and aligns them differently.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 08:30 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
This will be good. Spacek isn't in the stage of his career where he needs a wakeup call. He's in the stage where he needs to sit in the pressbox, and watch the game, and see what to switch in his game. Mainly, he needs to simplify his game, and make the safe play. He isn't 25 anymore.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:05 PM
dcyhabs

Wow, Pyatt and Spacek will sit. I'm stunned to realize that Martin has actually been watching the games.

Too bad he can't work with players after he destroys their confidence so O'Byrne will never get another chance. Geez, play him with Markov for half a season and then trade him if you don't want him.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:06 PM
vinzlol

How can you cruel kids hate on this guy ;__;

'fo real ;__;

vinzlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:08 PM
dcyhabs

Wait, Picard is playing with Markov. Maybe the plan is to inflate Picard's value and trade him. Hmm, maybe a Devils' pick?

Not to knock Picard, he has played well so far, but I think we need at least one defenceman who can scare the opposition, a fast guy who is big and can hit.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 09:46 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
it's too bad Spacek isn't performing , he's a good guy and even if he was never as good as in Buffalo he bring a lot of thing to our team if he can just play his average game.Maybe it's a good thing he takes couple of day off except doing bike , no ice nothing , and maybe some physical therapy or something lol Sometimes just clearing your head can help , we definately need this guy in shape for the second half of the season though.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:51 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Wait, Picard is playing with Markov. Maybe the plan is to inflate Picard's value and trade him. Hmm, maybe a Devils' pick?
The Habs should keep Picard. They've got a #6-#7 D-man who can play well against the bottom of a lineup for near minimum salary and apparently he can play the right side, too?

Gauthier's laughin'. Great low-end signing.

The guy who's in danger of finding a new address is O'Byrne.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 10:54 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

sooner than ppl think too, i say

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The Habs should keep Picard. They've got a #6-#7 D-man who can play well against the bottom of a lineup for near minimum salary and apparently he can play the right side, too?

Gauthier's laughin'. Great low-end signing.

And that's kind of sad, because I still think he can become a very usefull dman, he is also willing to be physical which is also interesting. The guy wasn't really lucky and it kind slowed him in his progression. Anyway I hope we can get Mark Fraser, he is another mobile, young, tough, defensive dman and he is kind of redundant in NJD lineup, but now he is injuried.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Toro

Spacek was a warrior last playoff. He is having a slow start but i have faith that he will get it together he is a seasoned vet we know he is capable.

I would be surprised if he is scratched longer than a game or 2. If a message is neccessary so be it. But he will be given every opportunity to regain his role.

Also like others i believe O'byrne is gone if we can find a good home for him. LOL seriously though he handles the puck like its a live hand grenade. The pressure in Montreal is too big for him.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:03 AM
WhiskeySeven
Pretty big member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Spacek was a warrior last playoff. He is having a slow start but i have faith that he will get it together he is a seasoned vet we know he is capable.
Why do people keep spreading rumours?

Spacek had 1 great game against Ovechkin, Game 1. Game 2 and Game 3 him and Hamrlik were terrible. He was injured vertigo, for Games 4, 5 and 6 and 7.

In our most impressive series win he only had ONE, 1, UNO good game.

He was injured Games 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 against Pitts. Had a great game 6 and a normal game 7.

3 good games total so far.

Against Philly the entire team sucked for all but one game, he was a -1 or a 0 with no points that series.

Conclusion, tl;dr, Spacek was NOT "great" in the playoffs, stop lying and apologizing for his terrible play, his terrible conditioning and his terrible contract.

I will be the first to admit that I loved the signing at first because he had a monster season and would be an adequate replacement for our PP needs. He didn't and I hate him for it, and it's obvious by the day that I'm being proven right. Most coaches wouldn't dare to bench a vet until push-came-to-shove, with Spacek it's more like Spacegoat-broke-the-treadmill.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:17 AM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I guess you missed the part where we are 7-2-0 with Picard in the line-up, who is also a team leading +7.

Crazy how much that sucks, eh?
To be honest this move doesn't sit well with me either. It's difficult to argue against numbers but I think that Picard being in the line-up has been a little more circumstantial then because of his superior play (which is not to say he's been playing badly).

Picard has played much better then expected but there is a more than reasonable explanation for that. First is the fact that, for the most part, he has been playing against lower lines so yes, he has a plus seven, but this is against competition that are essentially role players a grinders. He does not have to compete against the same offensive ability or speed Spacek has to compete against each night.

Not to excuse his play but I think something needs to be said in contrast of the fact that Spacek has been drawing more potent competition offensively on a regular basis and plays with another player, Hamrlik, who both share the same problem. Both players are defensively responsible but they are much slower then the competition they are playing against. The break away that lead to Booth's penalty shot was a perfect example of this problem, Hamrlik made a mistake and Spacek got beat in a foot race where he had a head start. Both players, Spacek and Hamrlik, should be separated with more mobile partners (Subban and Markov). His play this season reminds me a lot of Gill's last season before we paired him with Gorges.

I think what also has to be considered is that Picard and his +7 is more of a testament to the play of Subban lately then his own doing. Subban has been a factor at both ends of the ice and has steadily got better since the start of the season to now which has really helped Picards case.

It also helps hide one of Picards biggest weakness's in that when he handles the puck he creates a lot of turnovers. Ottawa fans could not wait to get rid of him because of it. He's still young and developing but there's a very good reason why he's widely regarded as a depth defense man and never regularly cracked an NHL line up until he came across a shallow, injury prone Ottawa defense last year.

To bring it back to Subban, playing with him means that he doesn't handle the puck nearly as often as he did on other teams so we have not seen this as a problem to date. Playing with Subban is great for him but it means Subban mostly gets minutes against lower lines where he could be more productive playing with better players. A pairing of Subban with Markov or Hamrlik would likely produce a lot more scoring with defensive stability if they had one of our top two lines in front of them and help Gionta, Gomez, and winger of the evening be a lot more productive. I'm not suggesting that Picard has held back Subban but playing with better competition could make him a lot more productive.

Now it's not that scratching Spacek bothers me as he's had a lot of other difficulties that I haven't mentioned and hopefully this will serve as a much needed wake up call for the guy. I do believe, however, that if put in the same situations as Picard with a more mobile partner, Spacek would be a lot more effective. Picard has played very well to date but I think it is more a result of circumstance than ability.

As for O'byrne, at this point I'd like to see him draw back into the line up and play a few shifts with Gorges and Markov to get a little confidence back in his game. One of the problems I've seen with the team is that opposition is getting a lot of second chances and rebounds so a bigger, more aggressive body may help eliminate some of these chances and Gorges and Markov would help to simplify O'byrne's game.

I apologize for the rant but I've had the defense on my mind for a few days now and the news about the change helped me sort this all out. Any thoughts?

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:32 AM
Weip

Well, we could see it come since the golf tournament...

Weip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:37 AM
PricePkPatch

Wait. Maybe I got a brain cramp. Which of our Defenseman was playing as a forward at the beginning of the playoffs last year, and simply moved back when Markov got wounded?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Bud2790

Spacek in, Picard out

-Per rds

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Bud2790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weip View Post
Well, we could see it come since the golf tournament...

The new Niniimaa?

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 1076
O'Byrne and Spacek out according to HabsInsideOut

http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/38976

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaix View Post
O'Byrne and Spacek out according to HabsInsideOut

http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/38976
Your link says Picard and Obyrne are sitting :S

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:39 AM
number 11

am i crazy, or is this whole spacek thing being way overblown? i mean he's not playing that well but i don't think he's nearly as horrible as the media is portraying him to be right now.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:49 AM
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 1076
Yeh I read too fast I guess!

Spacek definately in, live from RDS

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote