HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

die hards: are you losing the Jackets fever?

Old
10-28-2010, 11:20 PM
kellymiller

vCash: 500
die hards: are you losing the Jackets fever?

This thread was inspired by: dying attendance, 9 out of 10 years of less-than-mediocre hockey (half the teams teams make it, so I guess that makes the 8 seed mediocre by definition?), a boring experience at every home game this year, and an unprecedented lack of Jackets "buzz" in my social circles around Cbus.

It's so easy to be cynical, but I can't change how I feel. I've been to three games this year. The first was, at the time, the lowest attendance in Jackets history. Then the Flames game last Friday, which my friend and I left after the second period. Then tonight recaptured the lowest attendance in CBJ history and was just "meh." Neither team was really even pushing until the third period. I'm deadly serious when I say the Lake Erie Monsters games this year have been consistently more fun for my friends and I.

I remember from the beginning up until just a few short years ago how much of a thrill going to a Jackets game was. A genuine event. I got dorky chills every game. Now the whole atmosphere is either god awful corporate cliche' or non-existent. It's so sad this organization sucks so bad; the fan base was there, and still is, for even a mediocre, "at least serve as a consistent first round sweep caliber backstop for the Wings" franchise.

Maybe I'm just slowly realizing that one of my biggest passions in years past bores me now? I should probably stop posting and clogging this forum with negativity, I guess.

Is anybody else feeling this way? Is the Nationwide experience boring now to a lot of you, or is the attendance just an economic issue en masse?

kellymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:36 PM
St1ngr

I think many casual fans have drifted away, no question. However the die-hards are still.....die-hards.

Too bad it sounds like you missed the Philly game. AWESOME atmosphere. Even though there were only 12K in attendance, it was a loud and pumped-up atmosphere to complement a terrific game.

10 years of mostly bad hockey, no winning tradition, disappointing year last year to follow-up the playoffs....all goes without saying that it hurts the attendance. And the Chicago and Calgary games this year were among the worst I have ever been to. However if the team can string some wins together and continue to play spirited and tough...the fans will start to come back. Selling out the opener as they did I think shows you that there aren't any less Jackets' fans out there - just less jackets fans have bought season tickets.

As for the arena atmosphere, I personally just don't really care that much. Maybe the first year I was enthralled enough by that stuff to say "yeah we lost but the arena stuff was really cool." Not anymore. I like some loud music and some of the stuff they do to pump up the crowd during close games late in the third, but I really could care less about the other stuff. After 10 years, I go to see hockey and if the game is good, I have fun. If the team comes out looking lobotomized, I don't. Simple as that. The arena stuff doesn't affect my night one way or the other.

The question is: if the team continues to play well, will the fans come back. The answer is yes.

Also historically you see attendance flat during october and november, while OSU is playing. After the bowl game there is always a big spike in interest.

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 11:40 PM
St1ngr

Tonight's attendance may well go down as the lowest in CBJ history for a long time.

Many reasons for that:
1. Weeknight
2. Not the sexiest opponent
3. There have been several recent home games.
4. It's october and the buckeyes are still playing
5. And most of all tonight, and the reason I wasn't there: Trick or treat night. I think this had to be beggar's night not just for my 'burb, but pretty much all of Columbus (and the rest of the country for that matter). Puck Rakers mentioned a couple weeks ago that the CBJ ticket people had been worried about this game for a while. Bad idea to schedule a game tonight - maybe they had no choice in the manner but this should have been avoided if at all possible

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Jackets game attendance at the beginning of the year during Buckeye season has always been low for quite awhile. Sure some casual fans are gone, but I think once it gets into late November, early December the fans will be there like always.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 02:46 AM
Happy Pony

Nah, I'm just broke. Otherwise I'd be at every game.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 04:23 AM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
A whole bunch of reasons

To add to what has been said ....

Yes, the Jackets have been disappointing for a long time, and the news lately has been mostly negative, and that doesn't help anything. And yes the economy - particularly the local job situation - sucks canal water. Those both hurt, big-time.

But both of those factors will start to fade if this team can keep playing successfully. Or, as some other pundit once quipped "Just win, baby."

However, as for the original poster finding Lake Erie games more fun than the CBJ, that sounds to me like burn-out. I've not been up to see the Monsters so I can't say for sure, but I doubt they are doing much in the way of game ops that the CBJ isn't doing.

My diagnosis is that this is a case of somebody who has invested a lot of time and money and energy into something which hasn't paid off much lately, so the patient is developing an aversion. I hope a good dose of late-season, well-attended, playoff calibre NHL hockey proves to be a cure. Because I suspect there are more than a few folks like this out there.

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

I am not losing Jackets fever one bit. Last night was a combination of all the things already stated. Halloween. The terrible showing in the first coupla home games. Thursday night, etc...

Win. They will come back. Also, some of us never left...

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 05:48 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Old
10-29-2010, 07:48 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymiller View Post
I should probably stop posting and clogging this forum with negativity, I guess.

Is anybody else feeling this way? Is the Nationwide experience boring now to a lot of you, or is the attendance just an economic issue en masse?
Yes, you're 6 total posts are ruining it for everybody.

The fans will be back when the team is.
...and I can see them coming.

Regarding the "experience" ...I know many people who's enthusiasm fizzled once they got tired of the arena experience --because they weren't really hardcore HOCKEY fans.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 07:53 AM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

I'm close to the edge.

I mean, winning is everything. I've seen so many terrible games at the NWA in the last 10 years, it's painful to even recollect. I want to see good hockey on a consistent basis from OUR team. This three-game streak has got me excited.... Is this the time when they all bond and become a team, sports movie montage-style, or is this just an illusion?

If we crash and burn like we did last year, I can pretty much guarantee I won't be renewing my PSLs next year. If we can continue to win, then I will be relieved, because it's about damn time.

Like I said, I'm close to the edge here. And that edge, as the CBJ brass and ticket sales have found, is razor thin.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 200
Nope, I am still in. Once a fan always a fan. Fan is short for fanatic. So I am a glutton for punishment, being a fan of the Tribe, Browns, Cavs, Buckeyes, and Jackets

I make the games when I can, but the schedule this year prohibits me from going to as many games as I would like.

A lot of games are on nights when my son plays high school football, and basketball. I am at his games first and foremost. I squeeze the Jackets in when i can. Whether I get to as many games or not does not diminish my standing as a fan or my love and interest for the organ EYE zation

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:14 AM
blahblah

I'm still a huge fan, but I don't feel much of a connection with this team other then 3 or 4 role players. The team doesn't feel engaged yet. What that means is that I'm not really feeling the itch to buy single game tickets and pay for parking.

The only reason I kind of wanted to go to last nights game was to check out Hall. From what I saw on TV, at this point I'd rather see Skinner.

What's funny is if they brought up Calvert, Savard, or Moore I'd probably be in the stands a lot more often. This just feels like a rebuilding year to me. And it's probably just me, but I get that vibe from some of the players as well. Like they have no real expectations for the season. Odd that I should feel that way during a 3 game winning streak.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:28 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I am still in. Before the season started I might have said this was going to be the year I give up but after going to 4 home games I am right back to where I should be. The team is 6-3 and 6th in the West right now and that is without the team playing its best hockey. I see a lot of potential to this season once the big guys get it going, but I am sure many are poo pooing the record/performance for any number of reasons.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I'm still a huge fan, but I don't feel much of a connection with this team other then 3 or 4 role players. The team doesn't feel engaged yet. What that means is that I'm not really feeling the itch to buy single game tickets and pay for parking.

The only reason I kind of wanted to go to last nights game was to check out Hall. From what I saw on TV, at this point I'd rather see Skinner.

What's funny is if they brought up Calvert, Savard, or Moore I'd probably be in the stands a lot more often. This just feels like a rebuilding year to me. And it's probably just me, but I get that vibe from some of the players as well. Like they have no real expectations for the season. Odd that I should feel that way during a 3 game winning streak.
Not really. First year with a new coach, even absent major roster upheaval, is usually a rebuild, no? And again, whether you agree with it or not, the lack of major roster upheaval was likely in part due to the desire to "see what we've got" with the new coach.

Now, the part about feeling the players have no expectations - could explain some of the "not on board" play. That would be bad.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

I'll second that perception: rebuilding year.

We could make a playoff run this year, but I'm pretty bullish on the near future. We have alot of talent in the system...that may sound like a broken record but its true.

To the OP's point. You can't ignore the economic environment we are in when you consider these low attendance games. Yes the team has been bad and that affects attendance, but the economy has kicked alot of ticket buyers in the ass, and the perception of economic duress has caused many more to be stingy with their disposable incomes.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:31 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

As for myself, thinking back to the GDT for ther home opener, I posted something like bad NHL hockey is better than no NHL hockey. Then at the game, when the Jackets were stinking up the place, I asked my buddy if I was right. He agreed, but we decided that it would be better if we could somehow distance ourselves from caring who wins. Not sure how to go about that, but I can't see not going. So I guess I'm still in. Gotta have hockey.

Old
10-29-2010, 08:43 AM
CBJCougar

I'm still in it but I won't be back at Nationwide for a while. Economics is a factor but not more than the atmosphere. I drove two hours to get there Opening Night, parking was irritating, the staff was rude and incompetent, the 7th man was absent, the music was HORRIBLE...but once inside, all I kept thinking was "why??" Fans should not be sitting there thinking, why the hell did I go to all this trouble and expense? I could have sat at home for this.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
As for myself, thinking back to the GDT for ther home opener, I posted something like bad NHL hockey is better than no NHL hockey. Then at the game, when the Jackets were stinking up the place, I asked my buddy if I was right. He agreed, but we decided that it would be better if we could somehow distance ourselves from caring who wins. Not sure how to go about that, but I can't see not going. So I guess I'm still in. Gotta have hockey.
There's a difference between distancing yourself from caring about the team, and caring what people say about the team. Instead of posting on a messageboard about how fans aren't going, go yourself, and surround yourself with those fans who are going.

A loss is no big deal if your life is full and being a Blue Jacket fan is something you do because you enjoy it.

It becomes a huge deal if you show up in a location several times a day where the comments are all negative, and despite the best start this team has ever had, you stare at threads titled the "Fire Howson Thread."

Maybe I'm just better at compartmentalizing my sports feelings because I grew up in Cleveland, where I have enjoyed a lifetime of sports, and yet in a sense that lifetime is full of sporting disappointments. Cleveland fans know how to deal with a loss.

It's not like the College Football mentality of Columbus, where one loss is the end of the world. Leaving the arena opening night I literally heard the words "Well maybe *NEXT* year" 3 different times from different fans.

Columbus is the only city in Ohio to enjoy NHL hockey, and for that I am incredibly jealous of all of you. And at the same time I want to *****-slap most of you, tell you to wake up and enjoy the team you have.

I've already spent 12 hours in a car this season driving to and from Nationwide Arena. Some nights the ride home has been easier than others because of the win. But that doesn't stop me from coming, because I have hope, and I get to enjoy live NHL hockey. I appreciate what I have.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
I'm still in it but I won't be back at Nationwide for a while. Economics is a factor but not more than the atmosphere. I drove two hours to get there Opening Night, parking was irritating, the staff was rude and incompetent, the 7th man was absent, the music was HORRIBLE...but once inside, all I kept thinking was "why??" Fans should not be sitting there thinking, why the hell did I go to all this trouble and expense? I could have sat at home for this.
Ticket prices are getting better via stub hub, and I know guys that live downtown that love walking over at 6:30 and scalping tickets for a huge discount. The parking and concessions are completely out of hand however. We drink a beer a period and thats about $50 with tips.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:54 AM
blujakx
Where am I?

vCash: 463
No. /thread.

blujakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 08:54 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Interesting, I have felt the complete opposite this year. In years past I did think the staff sucked but this year they have been great. For the first time in the 7 years I have been a STH I have an usher that does his job. As for the atmosphere it hads been down (but last night was not bad for only 9K people) but I go to game to watch hockey not for the music, games or in house hosts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

I've already spent 12 hours in a car this season driving to and from Nationwide Arena. Some nights the ride home has been easier than others because of the win. But that doesn't stop me from coming, because I have hope, and I get to enjoy live NHL hockey. I appreciate what I have.
Live hockey is a 1,000,000,000 times better then TV hockey.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:00 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
There's a difference between distancing yourself from caring about the team, and caring what people say about the team. Instead of posting on a messageboard about how fans aren't going, go yourself, and surround yourself with those fans who are going.

A loss is no big deal if your life is full and being a Blue Jacket fan is something you do because you enjoy it.

It becomes a huge deal if you show up in a location several times a day where the comments are all negative, and despite the best start this team has ever had, you stare at threads titled the "Fire Howson Thread."

Maybe I'm just better at compartmentalizing my sports feelings because I grew up in Cleveland, where I have enjoyed a lifetime of sports, and yet in a sense that lifetime is full of sporting disappointments. Cleveland fans know how to deal with a loss.

It's not like the College Football mentality of Columbus, where one loss is the end of the world. Leaving the arena opening night I literally heard the words "Well maybe *NEXT* year" 3 different times from different fans.

Columbus is the only city in Ohio to enjoy NHL hockey, and for that I am incredibly jealous of all of you. And at the same time I want to *****-slap most of you, tell you to wake up and enjoy the team you have.

Good post, Skraut.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:01 AM
BluejacketNut

I still am excited for each game, but not necessarily going to the games anymore. The whole arena experience has burned me out, i've seen close to 300 games in the 10 years, and spending the close to 4 hours (the drive to the game getting there, the game itself, and then the drive home) with the poor quality of the in game entertainment (giving away a vacuum cleaner at a hockey game is down right pathetic, i dont care if it was a sponsor or not, thats just embarrassing, give out a signed stick sponsored by X) has me not wanting to go.

In the home opener, at the first tv time out they showed some Jackets classic type clip....it was entertaining, so I was hoping that was going to be a theme for the TV time outs....nope. Every tv timeout should be showing something about classic Jackets (queue jokes about very few, but still, you could easily do it on the 10th year anniversary!) instead of trying to entertain us, which theyre not very good at. I have season tickets and still have only gone to 2 games, choosing to watch on tv where it doesnt consume my whole evening. Of course those 2 Friday games left a very bad taste and right now theyre 3-0 minus my attendance, so I guess thats a sign if ever. I'll still plan on watching every game, just not going to spend my whole evening at Nationwide for the game

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:04 AM
FiveHole23

You are not a die hard if you stop caring about the team because they are boring or not winning. That is called a fair weather/bandwagon fan. Go visit Chicago's board to find a whole bunch of those.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

I'll second pete's thoughts here, Skraut. And I know what you're getting at, but since you replied to my post, I'll add...

Our point wasn't to distance but merely that it would be better if somehow it didn't matter as much whether they win or lose. It was merely jumping off my point about having NHL hockey - any NHL hockey. As a fan, losing hurts, and there has been quite enough of that in the Jackets' time here.

Again, don't hear me complaining, I'm still going to the games and engaged with the product. (And I'm still hanging around in here...)