HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brassard: "our owner doesnt like hockey as much as his father"

Old
11-02-2010, 01:30 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

vCash: 500
Whats more troubling, the fact that he made the comments, or the fact he didn't sleep well before an NHL hockey game?

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:41 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
Well done by Brassard here. Profuse, unqualified apologies will serve you well.
I agree, I think he's handled the post interview situation well. I actually give him props. I'd rather hear what he is saying now, then the silence that the agent was pushing for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Poor Brass. He did not say anything bad but he had to apologize.
He erred. I don't think he intended to offend anyone, but you have a responsibility with the press.

In the company I am in, we are not allowed to talk to the press unless we are given authorization. And we have to go over what is allowed to be said. Anything else and we risk termination. There is a lot of "gotcha" reporters out there that have no problem twisting your words to create a headline.

He erred. He learned. I don't feel sorry for him, nor should you. He's paid a lot of money to watch what he says to the press.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:47 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I agree, I think he's handled the post interview situation well. I actually give him props. I'd rather hear what he is saying now, then the silence that the agent was pushing for.

He erred. I don't think he intended to offend anyone, but you have a responsibility with the press.

In the company I am in, we are not allowed to talk to the press unless we are given authorization. And we have to go over what is allowed to be said. Anything else and we risk termination. There is a lot of "gotcha" reporters out there that have no problem twisting your words to create a headline.

He erred. He learned. I don't feel sorry for him, nor should you. He's paid a lot of money to watch what he says to the press.
Same in most organizations or governmental units. That's why so much of what you read in the papers is from "un-named sources who are not authorized to speak on the matter."

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:52 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Same in most organizations or governmental units. That's why so much of what you read in the papers is from "un-named sources who are not authorized to speak on the matter."
Most of the rest of us don't have multimillion dollar guaranteed contracts to fall back on. So my apologies to MK if I don't share any sympathy. I'm just impressed that he seems quite upset about it.

For the record, if I was the owner this situation probably wouldn't have cause me any concern. I probably would have just ignored it.

Old
11-02-2010, 01:57 PM
BluejacketNut

Unless he's 100% correct and JP doesnt even know who the Hab's are

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
In the company I am in, we are not allowed to talk to the press unless we are given authorization.
You must not know what I do for a living. And I quote you every so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
"well-placed league sources"

Quote:
For the record, if I was the owner this situation probably wouldn't have cause me any concern. I probably would have just ignored it.
Agreed.

Gotcha.

Old
11-02-2010, 02:20 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

The PuckRakers blog shows Brass to be very upset by the way the interview turned out. A lesson learned and, I hope, no harm done. He insists that he'll be calling JPMac, this afternoon, to explain. As others have said, the owner will probably tell him to forget it and the kid will know to be more alert to the ulterior motives that some media members bring to an interview.

Old
11-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

^ Well said Pete, lets hope he learns and scores a hatty tonight.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

He's obviously upset about how the media took the interview. Brassard is a good overall person and is a team player. I'm sure he just wants to forget about this whole thing like it didnt happen. Blown way out of proportion.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:57 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

You guys gotta trade him fast!!!

To Montreal: Brassard

To Columbus: Spacek + Maxwell

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:58 PM
xJarod

Send a message via AIM to xJarod
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Brass is hardly an expert on Mr Mac & the Team. John H was an absentee owner quite often. Those of us who had season tickets can remember how many times you'd look up into the owners box and Mr. Mac was not there.

I've heard John P actually played hockey in a men's league. But can hardly fault him for not being Mark Cuban. The team was given to him by default. Give him time to become old, fat and white haired, then we'll love him.
He does, he plays for some Worthing Industries team for the Chiller Adult Hockey League. He's in D West with my team... we played against them like 2 months ago and they beat us 7-1 or something like that. They have a really cute girl on their team too haha

xJarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSquid View Post
You guys gotta trade him fast!!!

To Montreal: Brassard

To Columbus: Spacek + Maxwell

Ok that wasnt even funny...not even a little. And yes I saw the sarcasm smiley.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Matt

My son in law is a goalie on a couple of teams and one of them is in the league with Worthington Industries and he has a perfect record against them.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:08 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Ok that wasnt even funny...not even a little. And yes I saw the sarcasm smiley.
aw come on! Here's something else to replace my ''not funny, not even a little'' post.

It's Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final, and a man makes his way to his seat right at center ice. He sits down, noticing that the seat next to him is empty. He leans over and asks his neighbor if someone will be sitting there. "No," says the neighbor. "The seat is empty." "This is incredible", said the man. "Who in their right mind would have a seat like this for final game of the Stanley Cup playoffs and not use it?" The neighbor says "Well, actually, the seat belongs to me. I was supposed to come with my wife, but she passed away. This is the first Stanley Cup we haven't been to together since we got married in 1967." "Oh ... I'm sorry to hear that. That's terrible. But couldn't you find someone else, a friend or relative, or even a neighbor to take the seat?" The man shakes his head "No, they're all at the funeral."

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:09 PM
BluejacketNut

MacJR is a pretty good player. We played against them once and he came in after the 1st period and then played the whole last 2 periods...kind of a jacka$$ thing to do IMO, you dont need to skate the full 24 minutes left when you have players on the bench in the D league and youre clearly a C+ level player

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:15 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:

And what did he say? What is bad on: "the owner he doesn't seem to like hockey as is father" what? Nothing. I am with Brass in it.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
And what did he say? What is bad on: "the owner he doesn't seem to like hockey as is father" what? Nothing. I am with Brass in it.
With Brass on what? He obviously knew what he said was taken out of context or not what he intended to say (or just ended up regretting it). He was concerned what JPM would think.

From what Brass said, I'm pretty confident that you are not on the same side of Brass on this topic. He's done something you don't seem comfortable with at times. Taking responsibility for your actions. You make a lot of excuses for these kids. Kids younger then these guys die in wars. They are men and should be treated as such.

He erred. He knows it. He's apologized. JPM accepted it. I think he handled it well. You seem to be the only one making an issue out of it.

Old
11-02-2010, 04:08 PM
blujakx
Where am I?

vCash: 50
Detroit Red Devils!

Or did he say blue devils?

EDIT: Damnit, I was beaten to it.

Last edited by blujakx: 11-02-2010 at 04:17 PM.
blujakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:11 PM
hip check
Go North.

Media got Brassard in a gotcha moment. Brassard feels awful about it evidently. Case closed. Hopefully he doesn't play distracted tonight. In fact, playing with something to prove would be great. It looks like he has finally started to put some games together that have looked good; I really hope this doesn't set him back any.

Last edited by hip check: 11-02-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: 'Nothing to see here' pic idea already taken.
hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:29 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

From PuckRakers:

Blue Jackets majority owner John P. McConnell issued this statement to The Dispatch today regarding center Derick Brassard's comments to a Montreal radio station on Monday:
“I know that Derick was really bothered by what happened and I talked to him about it this morning. I understand that comments can be misconstrued, and I just wanted to assure him that he and his teammates have my complete support and that I am their biggest fan. Derick is a fine young man. I told him the only thing he has to worry about is playing well tonight and continuing to represent our organization in the outstanding manner in which he has since he’s been here.”

Old
11-02-2010, 05:54 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Moments like this always make me say, "Thank you, Brassard (or Filatov, or...)."

I'd say more in response to whatever comes out of Nash's mouth, but I'm often too busy fighting back a yawn. Do we really think everything Nash or Crosby says in public is how they truly feel? If not, do we interpret what he says as him being smart by telling us what we want to hear? If that is the case, what does that say about us?

If Brass gets in trouble for these comments and earns some heat, he'll probably apologize and mention how his comments were misconstrued. That will annoy me, because it's yet another example of how childish our society has become. We live in terror of nipple slips and celebrity opinions.
Rick Nash is not paid millions of dollars for his opinion, nor is his job to uncover and share "the truth". Neither is Brassard. They are paid mega money to play hockey and represent the team in the lime light. If I want their opinion or truth, I will ask them over dinner. When ego decides to run it's mouth publicly, it's a sign of immaturity, nothing more, and if it doesn't cost you your job, it will cost you credibility.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Rick Nash is not paid millions of dollars for his opinion, nor is his job to uncover and share "the truth". Neither is Brassard. They are paid mega money to play hockey and represent the team in the lime light. If I want their opinion or truth, I will ask them over dinner. When ego decides to run it's mouth publicly, it's a sign of immaturity, nothing more, and if it doesn't cost you your job, it will cost you credibility.
Yes, I know what they are paid for, and I disagree with it. I believe they should be paid to play hockey, and the rest--being human beings--is not something we have a right to regulate. I am vehemently opposed to expecting and/or requiring anything else out of people who happen to be in the public eye more than the rest of us.

Immaturity is in the eyes of the beholder. I think a society that discourages public figures from speaking their minds is inherently immature, not to mention dysfunctional.

Now, I do not think that everything said is mature in and of itself, and there are things Brassard could have said that I would have thought were immature. Brassard seems genuinely upset about the interview, so I will take him at his word. However, had his comments been accurately portrayed, I would have had no problem with them.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Dirtydownshift

Game Ops should do a parody of Undercover Boss.

Dirtydownshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:13 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Yes, I know what they are paid for, and I disagree with it. I believe they should be paid to play hockey, and the rest--being human beings--is not something we have a right to regulate. I am vehemently opposed to expecting and/or requiring anything else out of people who happen to be in the public eye more than the rest of us.

Immaturity is in the eyes of the beholder. I think a society that discourages public figures from speaking their minds is inherently immature, not to mention dysfunctional.

Now, I do not think that everything said is mature in and of itself, and there are things Brassard could have said that I would have thought were immature. Brassard seems genuinely upset about the interview, so I will take him at his word. However, had his comments been accurately portrayed, I would have had no problem with them.
Ok, well on that happy note, I guess this isn't a good time to tell you that WWE is fixed. LOL

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:38 PM
blahblah

Quote:

Freedom of speech isn't free, there are consequences. He's free to say whatever the hell he wants. He's also free to take the heat for saying it.

That's no different then the rest of us. The only difference is there is a mic in front of his mouth. He represents the team and should keep that in mind when he opens his mouth to a reporter if he doesn't want backlash. Its rarely a good idea to insult or embarrass your employer, especially when you are paid 7 figures.

Nothing wrong with it.

As I said before, if I embarrass my employer and it gets out in the media my job is on the line. The worse that happens to Brass is they trade him.