HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brassard: "our owner doesnt like hockey as much as his father"

Old
11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
From PuckRakers:

Blue Jackets majority owner John P. McConnell issued this statement to The Dispatch today regarding center Derick Brassard's comments to a Montreal radio station on Monday:
“I know that Derick was really bothered by what happened and I talked to him about it this morning. I understand that comments can be misconstrued, and I just wanted to assure him that he and his teammates have my complete support and that I am their biggest fan. Derick is a fine young man. I told him the only thing he has to worry about is playing well tonight and continuing to represent our organization in the outstanding manner in which he has since he’s been here.”
A classy way to put an end to the issue, JPM. Damn, I'm going to have to change my avatar now as I feel bad for poking fun at him. (Although that still was a cringe-worthy speech at Hitch's 500th win...)

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
A classy way to put an end to the issue, JPM. Damn, I'm going to have to change my avatar now as I feel bad for poking fun at him. (Although that still was a cringe-worthy speech at Hitch's 500th win...)
Here here. good on him.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
From PuckRakers:

Blue Jackets majority owner John P. McConnell issued this statement to The Dispatch today regarding center Derick Brassard's comments to a Montreal radio station on Monday:
“I know that Derick was really bothered by what happened and I talked to him about it this morning. I understand that comments can be misconstrued, and I just wanted to assure him that he and his teammates have my complete support and that I am their biggest fan. Derick is a fine young man. I told him the only thing he has to worry about is playing well tonight and continuing to represent our organization in the outstanding manner in which he has since he’s been here.”
Good to see that JP learned "class" from his father.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Freedom of speech isn't free, there are consequences. He's free to say whatever the hell he wants. He's also free to take the heat for saying it.

That's no different then the rest of us. The only difference is there is a mic in front of his mouth. He represents the team and should keep that in mind when he opens his mouth to a reporter if he doesn't want backlash. Its rarely a good idea to insult or embarrass your employer, especially when you are paid 7 figures.

Nothing wrong with it.

As I said before, if I embarrass my employer and it gets out in the media my job is on the line. The worse that happens to Brass is they trade him.
No problem whatsoever with people disagreeing with what he says, only with them saying he should keep his mouth shut because of what he is and how much money he makes.

It's one thing to say Brassard was ill-advised in making his comments (or what they seemed to be). It's another to imply he should never say them. The former marks "you" as a cautious human being living in the real world, or at least a Blue Jackets fan overly sensitive about how his team is seen by the rest of the world The latter marks you as a control freak who puts celebrities on pedestals and expects them to never do anything to negatively affect your high opinion of them.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:17 PM
free agent fan

Brassard have talk to the same Montreal radio station today, he said he have to apologize.

Brassard also said: I always been honest, I really like playing in Columbus, I like my teammates, the fans and all the owners. When they (montreal radio station) ask me if he (the owner) support the team, I said I don't know since I don't know him.

«J'ai toujours été un gars honnête, À Columbus, j'aime vraiment ça, j'aime mes coéquipiers, les partisans et nos propriétaires. Quand on m'a demandé lundi s'il était là pour nous supporter, j'ai dit je ne le sais pas, je ne le connais pas».

free agent fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:05 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
No problem whatsoever with people disagreeing with what he says, only with them saying he should keep his mouth shut because of what he is and how much money he makes.

It's one thing to say Brassard was ill-advised in making his comments (or what they seemed to be). It's another to imply he should never say them. The former marks "you" as a cautious human being living in the real world, or at least a Blue Jackets fan overly sensitive about how his team is seen by the rest of the world The latter marks you as a control freak who puts celebrities on pedestals and expects them to never do anything to negatively affect your high opinion of them.
I don't see the distinction. He's free to say them. Saying he shouldn't isn't infringing on his freedom of speech. It's an opinion and a valid one. Even in some of these wacky free speech zones what Brass said wouldn't even approach hate speech.

One could say that you are no better saying they shouldn't have their opinion.

Anyone who puts celebrities on pedestals, minus impressionable youth, might be in need of help we can't provide.

Having said that, this conversation is getting stale.

Honestly this whole thing is silly. This is like a -5 on a scale of 1-10 on drama.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
To be honest I hope more of our players speak up, tonight the Blue Jackets played with inspiration; was that inspiration based on their desire to back up their team member in the face of the press? I don't know, but what I do know is that Brass had one of his best games in months and his line mates Voracek and Nash were there to help him.

The Jackets need a "cause" and tonight they had one-I like it.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:16 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
To be honest I hope more of our players speak up, tonight the Blue Jackets played with inspiration; was that inspiration based on their desire to back up their team member in the face of the press? I don't know, but what I do know is that Brass had one of his best games in months and his line mates Voracek and Nash were there to help him.

The Jackets need a "cause" and tonight they had one-I like it.
I don't care if they speak up, even if it doesn't solve a darn thing. At some point it could become a distraction and not very constructive.

Best case this whole thing made Brass relax some.

Old
11-02-2010, 11:42 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by free agent fan View Post
Brassard have talk to the same Montreal radio station today, he said he have to apologize.

Brassard also said: I always been honest, I really like playing in Columbus, I like my teammates, the fans and all the owners. When they (montreal radio station) ask me if he (the owner) support the team, I said I don't know since I don't know him.

«J'ai toujours été un gars honnête, À Columbus, j'aime vraiment ça, j'aime mes coéquipiers, les partisans et nos propriétaires. Quand on m'a demandé lundi s'il était là pour nous supporter, j'ai dit je ne le sais pas, je ne le connais pas».
ok, well brass is lying here. he went farther than that. The truth is that he did say the fans weren't there (but blamed the teams' performance for it), and he did say the owner wasn't as great a hockey fan as his father. I would have preferred he responded to this indecent by explaining his comments (which in context were not that bad) rather than pretending it didn't happen.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:39 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
With Brass on what? He obviously knew what he said was taken out of context or not what he intended to say (or just ended up regretting it). He was concerned what JPM would think.

From what Brass said, I'm pretty confident that you are not on the same side of Brass on this topic. He's done something you don't seem comfortable with at times. Taking responsibility for your actions. You make a lot of excuses for these kids. Kids younger then these guys die in wars. They are men and should be treated as such.

He erred. He knows it. He's apologized. JPM accepted it. I think he handled it well. You seem to be the only one making an issue out of it.
A question is whehter he had to apologize. Whether someone pressed upon apologize.
Sorry, but it is such stupidity a lot of scream for nothing. It is a custom in the U.S.A. such overstatement?

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:25 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
A question is whehter he had to apologize. Whether someone pressed upon apologize.
Sorry, but it is such stupidity a lot of scream for nothing. It is a custom in the U.S.A. such overstatement?
Who was screaming? Did you hear much of anything from the CBJ side of the house? I haven't heard much from the fans other then "Well that was dumb". Hell most probably agree with him in one form or another. I do. Doesn't mean it wasn't a dumb thing to say.

He felt he had the need to apologize, so just stop already.

You make it sound like an apology is like 30 days in the slammer with a $50,000 fine. Wow someone might have put some pressure on him to apologize. He'll be scarred for life.

Old
11-03-2010, 07:25 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Overstatement is the standby response to everything, everywhere, in the 21st century. Even Slovakia, I'd guess. A look at the history of the Balkans should reveal more than a few incidents of "over-reaction."

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

The moral of this story? Kids, don't bite the hand of the person who signs your paycheck, especially if that paycheck isn't being earned.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:48 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Who was screaming? Did you hear much of anything from the CBJ side of the house? I haven't heard much from the fans other then "Well that was dumb". Hell most probably agree with him in one form or another. I do. Doesn't mean it wasn't a dumb thing to say.
"Veľa kriku pre nič" (a lot of scream for nothing) is another Slovak proverb. It does not mean that you scream. It means that someone (i do not think you I only explain) says a lot of thing about unimportant things.

Quote:
He felt he had the need to apologize, so just stop already.

You make it sound like an apology is like 30 days in the slammer with a $50,000 fine. Wow someone might have put some pressure on him to apologize. He'll be scarred for life.
Alone or did he have to apologize? It knows only Brass.

I am ending with this negligible thing.

Last edited by mt-svk: 11-03-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old
11-03-2010, 07:57 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Overstatement is the standby response to everything, everywhere, in the 21st century. Even Slovakia, I'd guess. A look at the history of the Balkans should reveal more than a few incidents of "over-reaction."
Brass words and Balkan are two very difference things.

Old
11-03-2010, 08:03 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Brass words and Balkan are two very difference things.
No argument there!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:45 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
"Veľa kriku pre nič" (a lot of scream for nothing) is another Slovak proverb. It does not mean that you scream. It means that someone (i do not think you I only explain) says a lot of thing about unimportant things.

Alone or did he have to apologize? It knows only Brass.

I am ending with this negligible thing.
A similar English saying would be "making a mountain out of a molehill".

http://www.usingenglish.com/referenc...+molehill.html

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:28 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
A similar English saying would be "making a mountain out of a molehill".

http://www.usingenglish.com/referenc...+molehill.html
Thanks for site and a proverb!

Old
11-03-2010, 05:06 PM
cbj21

I was dissapointed in Brass at the start of the season but since I posted it on this forum he has changed and looks like the Brass from 2 seasons ago. Thats whats important to me. Keep it up Brass

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

This is all I can think of when I see the thread title:

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Rimers stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
The moral of this story? Kids, don't bite the hand of the person who signs your paycheck, especially if that paycheck isn't being earned.
What are you talking about? He has been our best player with the exception of Mathieu Garon.

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimers stache View Post
What are you talking about? He has been our best player with the exception of Mathieu Garon.
Who's "he"? Chris Clark or RJ Umberger?

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:13 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
or Derek MacKenzie?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Rimers stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
True Clark has been excellent as well as Umberger but there is no denying that Brassard is our best player at the moment.

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimers stache View Post
True Clark has been excellent as well as Umberger but there is no denying that Brassard is our best player at the moment.
That's one hell of a drug you are on. Sure he's scoring more now, but he has been far from our best player. I appreciate the points, but he isn't creating anywhere near what he did before the injury a couple of years ago, right now he is shooting everything and it's going in. He still needs to get his creative juices flowing before he can even be considered top 5 on the jackets currently.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote