HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Attendance issues?

Old
10-27-2010, 06:57 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

vCash: 500
Attendance issues?

Is it me, or have the past few games at MSG drawn some small, quiet crowds?

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 07:01 PM
TheDave1022

Just you. Rangers games always sell out.
Last game Attendance: 18,200 (100.0% full)

Anyway....yea the Rangers i dont think actually sell out that often. I had season tickets last year and most games were empty. Most games you could buy tickets on ticketmaster right up to the game as well.

TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzr2 View Post
Is it me, or have the past few games at MSG drawn some small, quiet crowds?
They've been quiet for non-rival games for the past two-three years.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 07:19 PM
darrenturcotte#8

They over priced their tickets and nobody wants them. Simple supply and demand...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Theyve also given very little for the crowd to cheer about at home the last season+

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 07:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
They over priced their tickets and nobody wants them. Simple supply and demand...
Yeah, seems like a lot more season subscribers are looking to sell their tickets then there are buyers. The market is pretty weak.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

It's the three obvious answers...

Bad economy + high ticket prices + not much excitment from the team

=

Below average attendance. Simple as that.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 07:50 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Also games during the week against teams such as Atlanta, Carolina, Western Conference opponents etc have never drawn well, especially early in the season.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 07:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDave1022 View Post
Just you. Rangers games always sell out.
Last game Attendance: 18,200 (100.0% full)

Anyway....yea the Rangers i dont think actually sell out that often. I had season tickets last year and most games were empty. Most games you could buy tickets on ticketmaster right up to the game as well.
Paid attendance is totally different than actual attendance. The games always sell out, but a lot of people can't afford to actually come to the games.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 08:33 PM
TheDave1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Paid attendance is totally different than actual attendance. The games always sell out, but a lot of people can't afford to actually come to the games.
No the games do not sell out. As I said...last year you could buy games on ticketmaster right up to the start of the game. Some games, there were multiple rows in just about every section available. MSG is BS with their sellouts.

TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I forget where i read it but i heard that dolan actually buys up all the extra tickets so he games are considered sellouts....dunno if this is true but is a possibility as some games seem crazy empty ....cant imagine all those tickets selling and all of them not coming to the game

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow, now here's a unique topic that's never been discussed before!

I guess it's particularly interesting right now because every other business on the planet is booming. Very strange

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/...0/sort/homePct

last season the Rangers averaged 18,076 fans per game which is 99.3% of 18,200. I'm not sure if that means that 18,076 tickets were sold or that 18,076 actually attended the game. I'd say the former because like other people have mentioned, there are a lot more than 124 empty seats on a given night.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface Avery View Post
I forget where i read it but i heard that dolan actually buys up all the extra tickets so he games are considered sellouts....dunno if this is true but is a possibility as some games seem crazy empty ....cant imagine all those tickets selling and all of them not coming to the game
lol i could see that, take the money out of his left pocket put it in his right.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Giacomin

The Garden was rocking tonight for most of the game and for the whole game Sunday against the Devils. It seems like the crowd is younger this year than in the past. Once we start playing the Rivals MSG will be hopping!

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Balej20*

The crowds are quiet for sure because the product on the ice sucks. But it doesn't help that MSG Network basically mutes out all crowd noise. You can barely hear the goal horn. I have no idea why they do that. I enjoy watching a game so much more when you can hear how loud the crowd gets.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:12 PM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Wow, now here's a unique topic that's never been discussed before!

I guess it's particularly interesting right now because every other business on the planet is booming. Very strange

Dude, uncalled for. Take your aggression out on someone else.

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

According to espn.com the game against Colorado and the game tonight against Atlanta were NOT sold out. The game against the Devils was. Clearly, a number of factors (the economy, the high price of tickets and the perhaps the composition of the team) are in play this season. The only game that was not an official sell out last seaon was the "blizzard" game played back in Feb 2010.

The fact that early season games are not selling is going to be a factor in management decisions. If the team does not play well, attendence will continue to be a factor and it will only push management to make changes sooner, rather than later.

This is not good. The atmosphere at the Garden has been deteriorating for the last several years. Ticket prices have risen every year since the the lockout until this season and the economy is still in less than great shape. Waiting for the kids to lead the organization to more exciting hockey and playoff success is going to be a hard proposition.

Rebuilding may be good for long-term success, but ownership may not be willing to wait if revenue declines--especially since MSG is now a publically traded company and buckets of money are being spent on a major renovation.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:51 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
According to espn.com the game against Colorado and the game tonight against Atlanta were NOT sold out. The game against the Devils was. Clearly, a number of factors (the economy, the high price of tickets and the perhaps the composition of the team) are in play this season. The only game that was not an official sell out last seaon was the "blizzard" game played back in Feb 2010.

The fact that early season games are not selling is going to be a factor in management decisions. If the team does not play well, attendence will continue to be a factor and it will only push management to make changes sooner, rather than later.

This is not good. The atmosphere at the Garden has been deteriorating for the last several years. Ticket prices have risen every year since the the lockout until this season and the economy is still in less than great shape. Waiting for the kids to lead the organization to more exciting hockey and playoff success is going to be a hard proposition.

Rebuilding may be good for long-term success, but ownership may not be willing to wait if revenue declines--especially since MSG is now a publically traded company and buckets of money are being spent on a major renovation.
It's because the organization spent years building the team by bringing in overpaid free agents and trading youth for over the hill veterans that they have gotten to this point. I find it unlikely that just when they are getting to the point where good things are in store around the corner that they would reverse course.

The buckets of money for the renovation are being covered by the half billion dollar deal with Chase. Assuming the renovation brings the Garden in line with some of the newer arenas it should result in higher attendance and additional revenue.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 09:58 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

They didn't make the playoffs last year so that has something to do with it. Heck, even in 1994 when they got off to a bad start they weren't selling out.

The economy is shot, many people like myself haven't gotten a raise in years and are overworked and drastically underpaid so it has cut into my games attended and even road trips to see games.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It's because the organization spent years building the team by bringing in overpaid free agents and trading youth for over the hill veterans that they have gotten to this point. I find it unlikely that just when they are getting to the point where good things are in store around the corner that they would reverse course.

The buckets of money for the renovation are being covered by the half billion dollar deal with Chase. Assuming the renovation brings the Garden in line with some of the newer arenas it should result in higher attendance and additional revenue.
Good things may be in store--if everything works out right. And I'm not sure the Dolans are willing to go more than a year without making the playoffs. Sather handcuffed himself with bad free agent signings and has limited room for at least another year (let's not forget that Redden's contract comes back as soon as the season is over). There are several core players that need to be re-signed next summer. If there isn't a lot more excitement surrounding the team, seats will only get harder to sell. Those things make patience that much more difficult to sell. And the deal with Chase doesn't give them buckets of money up front, does it? They still have come with the cash (and while I'm sure they are able to borrow money--there is a cost associated with borrowing, even for MSG).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:14 AM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post

I was at that game and the arena was so empty it was disgusting.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 12:25 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

The Colorado game attendance was not 18,200. I saw it in either a box score or the official NHL game sheet. Somewhere in the 17720 range. The attendance count for almost every professional team is the amount of tickets sold or distributed. The can count, which is the actual number of people who attend, is almost never announced. The Garden has always had a no show problem early in the season and against teams that are not division rivals or original 6. I've been selling tickets for years and the early season has always been a challenge but yeah, it been a little tougher the last couple of years.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 06:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The NYC economy stinks. The subways are empty. The restaurants are struggling. Business is down across the board. Macys is practically giving items away this holiday season.

The ticket prices are insane. Parking,etc. Regular season hockey game against the Thrashers in October.

3-4 years ago,the Garden had a season ticket waiting list and they charged $100 per ticket as a deposit with no guarantee of getting season tickets the next season. The economy tanked in 2008 and the waiting list dwindled to nothing.

The Yankees played game 3 of the ALCS on the night the Rangers/Avs. Last night,was game 1 of the WS which the Yankees were expected to play in.

So Ranger fans are going to buy tickets if the team had more veterans. Where has the big game mercenary signings gotten the Rangers? Plus the salary cap prevents a team from fielding an $80 million roster like the Rangers did in the pre-salary cap NHL. Non-playoff years.

The Garden is charging more for tickets and paying less in salaries due to the cap. They're making more money. The Knicks are in the lower third of payroll in the NBA and received a big bump in season ticket subs because of LeCon James. Knick fans didn't want to get shut out if LeCon became a NYK so they became season subs. Dolan isn't paying a ridiculous $30 million in luxury taxes. They're making money. People are worried about the Garden's financial situation.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2010, 08:24 AM
skroob**

High prices, missing star players, October, playing against WS Game 1 and Knicks opener, and vs an underperforming team from outside the division.

Not gonna pack them in every time like that.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote