HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Holik?

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2004, 02:52 PM
barnaby63

vCash: 500
Holik?

If you think your team would be interested please make an offer and see what we come up with...

To ????:
Bobby Holik
Bryce Lampman
Up to 3 million per year for Holik's contract

To New York:
Young 2nd line Center
28-31 year old 4/5 defenseman
2005 3rd round draft pick

And please no rangers suck or holik is overpaid posts please.

Old
06-02-2004, 03:05 PM
shadoz19

to be honest with you, I think trading holik would be even harder than guerin. You can read the post on that one. You won't get a young second line center already in the nhl. maybe a prospect.

Old
06-02-2004, 03:17 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoz19
to be honest with you, I think trading holik would be even harder than guerin. You can read the post on that one. You won't get a young second line center already in the nhl. maybe a prospect.
Well I was thinking along the lines of a Vaclav Neodorst or a Mike Cammellari. I wasnt talking about a guy like Jeff Taffe or Stephen Weiss.

Old
06-02-2004, 03:21 PM
guitaraholic*

Holik is nearly untradeable even if the Rangers simply wanted to give him away, IMO. If guys like Weight and Tkachuk and Guerin are "untradeable" due to their contracts then certainly Holik is as well.
Even if you could move him you won't get a player that fit the description you posted. I personally think you're being unrealistic.

Old
06-02-2004, 04:35 PM
wint

You could probably work out a deal for John LeClair, who has 2 years and $18 million left on his contract I believe. If not, maybe Cujo or Yashin.

Last edited by wint: 06-02-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old
06-02-2004, 04:46 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wint
You could probably work out a deal for John LeClair, who has 2 years and $18 million left on his contract I believe. If not, maybe Cujo or Yashin.
The Flyers already have a tremendous backlog at Centre.

Trading one overpaid player for another simply doesnt work.

Old
06-02-2004, 09:32 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
The Flyers already have a tremendous backlog at Centre.

Trading one overpaid player for another simply doesnt work.

ONLY WORK IF THEY PLAY A DIFFERENT POSITION

Old
06-02-2004, 09:34 PM
rnyquist

In all seriousness, I could realistically see the Leafs taking him, maybe for Antropov, or something like

Nyr:Antropov

Leafs: Holik + 1/2 of his remaining contract

Old
06-02-2004, 10:06 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnyquist
In all seriousness, I could realistically see the Leafs taking him, maybe for Antropov, or something like

Nyr:Antropov

Leafs: Holik + 1/2 of his remaining contract
That would mean the Rangers would be subsidizing a conference rival dollar for dollar for the next however many years.

If Holik is to be traded, he'll have to restructure his contract.

Old
06-02-2004, 10:11 PM
rnyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
That would mean the Rangers would be subsidizing a conference rival dollar for dollar for the next however many years.

If Holik is to be traded, he'll have to restructure his contract.

we may have to subsidize them but we don't have to deal with his constent complaing and his hit against a cap. Also Washington dealt us Jagr, we can deal Holik.

This isn't anything serious, just a thought

Old
06-02-2004, 10:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnyquist
we may have to subsidize them but we don't have to deal with his constent complaing and his hit against a cap. Also Washington dealt us Jagr, we can deal Holik.

This isn't anything serious, just a thought

One man's constant complaining is another's voice of reason.

Old
06-03-2004, 03:40 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
One man's constant complaining is another's voice of reason.

I would not deal Holik just yet. If we dealt Holik and Lindros goes to Leafs, what centres do we have? We are thin at centre as is. Maybe Kasper to Florida for either Weiss or Campbell as part of the package, heck id take Hagman. He is LW but good defensive forward.

Old
06-03-2004, 10:17 AM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I would not deal Holik just yet. If we dealt Holik and Lindros goes to Leafs, what centres do we have? We are thin at centre as is. Maybe Kasper to Florida for either Weiss or Campbell as part of the package, heck id take Hagman. He is LW but good defensive forward.
Kaspar for Weiss? No way in hell. I doubt we would get any value for kaspar with his salary. Holik, its a foregone conclussion. We signed these guys as UFAs so anything we get is gravy. No way we get anything worth value though.

Old
06-03-2004, 10:43 AM
shadoz19

It still baffles me why Sather gave him such a big contract. He has size. He's good defensively. But he's not great offensively. He's not a star player.

Old
06-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Only Alexei Yashin's contract is more difficult to trade, to be honest. It's not impossible, but Sather will have his work cut out for him if he decides that Holik is a player he wants to trade. My personal belief is that he will play out his contract with the Rangers. They have pared a decent amount of payroll to date, and can probably manage to retain both Holik and Jagr if they go with a fair amount of youth and affordable players elsewhere on the roster, cap or no cap.

Old
06-03-2004, 11:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
It still baffles me why Sather gave him such a big contract. He has size. He's good defensively. But he's not great offensively. He's not a star player.
Because he is a player tha the Ranger needed. He might not be a great offensively (although he's hardly awful) but he is excellent defensively. And there were other teams willing to pay him 8M and up as well.

Old
06-03-2004, 11:57 AM
shadoz19

I know he was fresh off of winning a cup, but still crazy.

Old
06-03-2004, 04:53 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
I know he was fresh off of winning a cup, but still crazy.
Actually the Devils got bounced in the first round that year. Sather might look bad now, but Lou Lamoriello offered Holik 41 mil over 5 years with zero money deferred which meant that Lou was prepared to make Holik the highest paid Devil over Stevens and Brodeur.

Old
06-03-2004, 06:39 PM
shadoz19

still 8 million was a lot for a second line center. not worth it.

Old
06-03-2004, 08:30 PM
London Knights

While you asked for it not to be made.

Holik is overpaid and that will make it difficult to trade him. He doesn't have the ability to take over a game like Jagr so even if a team wanted him, you won't find one that will take on his salary. Holik is a good player, but he is horribly overpriced which basically means barring a ridiculous amount coming back so that the Rangers will pay most of his salary that he will be a Ranger next season.

Old
06-04-2004, 12:50 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

45 mil over 5 years for a 32 year old 2nd line center...who'll never score much more than 50 points...there's no way anybody would be interested...i think its safe to say that holik isnt just overpaid, he's overpaid by 3x's

i know....he's one of the best two-way centers...and he's soooo strong!!!...still even if the rangers eat half his salary, no one would pay nearly 5 mil. a year to this guy till he's 37

Old
06-04-2004, 02:08 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
45 mil over 5 years for a 32 year old 2nd line center...who'll never score much more than 50 points...there's no way anybody would be interested...i think its safe to say that holik isnt just overpaid, he's overpaid by 3x's

i know....he's one of the best two-way centers...and he's soooo strong!!!...still even if the rangers eat half his salary, no one would pay nearly 5 mil. a year to this guy till he's 37
First off, Holik has scored more than 50 points like 6 times in his career, even breaking 60 once or twice.

Secondly, he has 3 years left on his contract which means he is a UFA at 35. Not 37. And last, he is owed 8.8 million the next 3 seasons, not an even 9.

I can live with Holik on the Rangers, i was just trying to see what kind of return we could get for him.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
He was in a bidding war with the Leafs. The Rangers offered him 1/2 million/year more than the Leafs were offering. His not signing with the Leafs was also the final nail in the coffin that sent Cujo packing elsewhere for less $$.

In hindsight, I have to say, I'm glad things worked out the way they did there.

Old
06-04-2004, 03:39 PM
guitaraholic*

Put in the right circumstances and Holik is an excellent addition to a hockey team. He'd be great on Detroit or St.Louis, who are going to lose Demitra, Mac and the Mellanby contracts in the offseason. Not suggesting the Blues would acquire Holik but I bet Pleau would see him as a worthwhile addition if the monies can be worked out....

Old
06-04-2004, 03:53 PM
DARKSIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Actually the Devils got bounced in the first round that year. Sather might look bad now, but Lou Lamoriello offered Holik 41 mil over 5 years with zero money deferred which meant that Lou was prepared to make Holik the highest paid Devil over Stevens and Brodeur.
Lou only offered him that type of money because of the Ranger offer. He was only trying to keep one of his core players from going to a hated rival. However, I'm sure he must of thanked the Lord a dozen or so times that Holik went across the river.

Closed Thread