HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #6

Closed Thread

Old
11-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

vCash: 500
haha, i love how intent Bob is to keep balls out of the hole

Old
11-19-2010, 06:08 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1175
This is a very interesting article...

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...FSTGThUs2v7pWI

Quote:
The straw that broke the camel's back came on Tuesday, when Chris Botta, one of the few remaining reporters covering the Islanders on a daily basis, did numerous radio and television interviews after Monday's firing of the head coach, Scott Gordon.

On Tuesday, Botta received a call from Kimber Auerbach, the Islanders' public relations man, and was informed that he would no longer be credentialed for practices or games.

Botta was told the official stance of management was that he "went from reporting the news to making the news," all stemming from his very popular blog, Islanders Point Blank.

"The only time that might have unwittingly happened was when I twice posted that [general manager] Garth [Snow] declined an interview," Botta told The Post yesterday. "I'm sorry for that now, but I wanted to let my readers know what was happening."

After many years as the Islanders' media-relations vice president, Botta started the blog with the sponsorship of the team. That ended in August of last year, and that's when Snow stopped talking to Botta altogether.

"Even though we had been colleagues and friends and had a working relationship, Garth stopped talking to me pretty soon after that," Botta said. "I can make the presumption that he then thought of me [as] on the other side of media. I was no longer an ally, so he cut me off."

Old
11-19-2010, 06:25 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Weird. Why would Snow cut Botta off?

Old
11-19-2010, 06:27 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

New Jersey Devils confirm Pat Burns has passed away according to multiple Twitter comments.

Old
11-19-2010, 06:32 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
He was their former VP of PR. I think this is the key reference:

Quote:
"I can make the presumption that he then thought of me [as] on the other side of media. I was no longer an ally, so he cut me off."
Snow likely had an issue with something in the blog, maybe the remark about "declining an interview." This seems like an issue that will eventually involve the NHL.

Old
11-19-2010, 06:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Wang probably told him to.

RIP to Pat Burns.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
11-19-2010, 06:34 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
New Jersey Devils confirm Pat Burns has passed away according to multiple Twitter comments.
Very sad, although expected, news.

One of the best coaches in the NHL.

Old
11-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

NYI is a ****show.

Old
11-19-2010, 06:48 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Damn. He put up a good fight. RIP.

Old
11-19-2010, 06:55 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

James Duthie interviewed Colin Campbell today:

TSN Link

Quote:
James Duthie: Do you think this entire episode diminishes your credibility or your ability to do the job?

Colin Campbell: No, not at all. We've been challenged before. I've been challenged before in decisions and I don't blame players (or) teams for challenging me or hockey operations. We have to make tough decisions and they're passionate and I've been in their position before as a player or a coach thinking they're wrong and you just have to soldier on and deal with what the league says. And for someone to say all of sudden emails that were strung together from three, four and five years ago all of a sudden, to say I can't do the job three years later, then that must mean everything I did the past three years were wrong or should be questioned.

Duthie: But you understand the perception publicly?

Campbell: Sure I understand the perception. But I also understand that there's always transparency in this job. There's internal transparency with the teams, and the managers and the league, and there's the transparency that is demanded of us by groups like yours, your panel, the media coverage in every city that anything we do will be critiqued and watched differently and discussed and compared. For something like this to be positioned like it was and how it came out is in my mind is totally wrong and absurd.

Duthie: But, do you believe the emails to former referee-in-chief Stephen Walkom were inappropriate?

Campbell: No they weren't inappropriate in the sense and in the time that they were sent, they were just like dressing room conversations - you're talking back and forth. Stephen was a good guy, you could challenge Stephen on the work that the group officials did because we were being challenged on a nightly basis by our teams. Your group, for example, your panel, challenges almost every call on a nightly basis. And Stephen was the filter. And I've said many of times to Stephen or Terry Gregson or Andy Van Hellemond or Brian Lewis, anybody that ran the officials - I've never skated five seconds in your official's skates. These are the questions that were handed by our managers, our coaches or players. Now you have to tell us or we will ask the question for them. And we're challenged with that accountability; our officials are challenged every night. And they've got a tough job. And we take those challenges through our director of officials and they take them and discuss them with their people. And that's the transparency that we're challenged with.

Duthie: But when you have a quote like calling Marc Savard a 'little fake artist' and when there are emails involving calls involving your son – how can you not acknowledge there's somewhat inappropriateness to that?

Campbell: Well, it is inappropriate. But no one told me or maybe told you five years ago that you can take your emails and read them all. If I knew someone was going to read my emails, then I would have positioned it differently. I would have said, 'Okay, on this play I think this player was embellishing these two calls. Would you please check into it?'

We say that on a nightly basis. You could probably ... there are other emails that would say that about certain plays. But now after three years ago, when they demanded our emails in a hearing where we released an official, we said “ok everyone. We have to be careful. This is not dressing room talk anymore on your emails. This is a formal situation. This is like something … if you're going to ask a question on email, you have to take into account they might be reading your email on TSN tomorrow. So say it in a way that everyone can't interpret it as something else, that they have to interpret it as what exactly you're saying.
There's more; you should have a look.

Campbell's such an *******.

Old
11-19-2010, 07:18 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
"If I knew someone was going to read my emails, then I would have positioned it differently"

haha what a nob

Old
11-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Garbage Goal

"If I knew someone was going to read my emails, then I would have positioned it differently"

At least he's honest. lol.

Old
11-19-2010, 08:10 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

RIP Pat, condolonces to the Burns family

Old
11-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Holy **** does ****tsburgh get all the calls. They had a goal waved off because the whistle blew. The replay CLEARLY shows the whistle blew. And they OVERTURNED the call on the ice. Even the ****tsburgh announcers didn't think it was a goal.

Old
11-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Although it is funny to hear Skinner.vs McBain

Old
11-19-2010, 09:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Holy **** does ****tsburgh get all the calls. They had a goal waved off because the whistle blew. The replay CLEARLY shows the whistle blew. And they OVERTURNED the call on the ice. Even the ****tsburgh announcers didn't think it was a goal.

There's been a few of those smelly calls this year. There was one in Minnesota early in the season where it was called a goal because that's what the ruling on the ice was, when there was never a call made at all. That might have happened to the Flyers also. However, they can determine if the puck went in before the intent to blow the whistle, which is why it smells to begin with because you can call them off for the same reason.

Old
11-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
There's been a few of those smelly calls this year. There was one in Minnesota early in the season where it was called a goal because that's what the ruling on the ice was, when there was never a call made at all. That might have happened to the Flyers also. However, they can determine if the puck went in before the intent to blow the whistle, which is why it smells to begin with because you can call them off for the same reason.
Lookin' at the replay, it appeared to me that the whistle blew after it crossed...so I don't see how it could've been SO conclusive to actually overturn it. That's even without the intent crap.

Good on Carolina for tying it in the last seconds...

Old
11-19-2010, 09:41 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Lookin' at the replay, it appeared to me that the whistle blew after it crossed...so I don't see how it could've been SO conclusive to actually overturn it. That's even without the intent crap.

Good on Carolina for tying it in the last seconds...
Exactly. Whatever happened to "intent to blow the whistle"?

Old
11-19-2010, 09:54 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Caps got shut out by Atlanta. So I'm guessing they'll score 7 tomorrow.

Also, today's Kings remind me a lot of the Flyers. Can't clear the zone to save their lifes.

Old
11-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

what's this? pittsburgh being on the receiving end of questionable goal calls?

SURELY NOT.

Old
11-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Garbage Goal

If anyone's looking for a one year Yahoo h2h league:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post29066553

I'm in that league btw. The team has Ovechkin and is near the middle of the standings right now IIRC. I'm seeing if anyone here wants the team because it's nice to play with friendly faces that you know don't suck at fantasy hockey.

Old
11-20-2010, 12:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Caps got shut out by Atlanta. So I'm guessing they'll score 7 tomorrow.

Also, today's Kings remind me a lot of the Flyers. Can't clear the zone to save their lifes.
They look lost without Willie Mitchell

Old
11-20-2010, 01:35 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They look lost without Willie Mitchell
hopefully the Kings will do us a favor and call up Thomas Hickey.

Old
11-20-2010, 11:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Luongo doing what he does, and that's choke against the Blackhawks.

Old
11-21-2010, 01:08 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quarter-ish (21 games) season pacings:

vanRiemsdyk (0-32-32) - Richards (35-55-90) - Nodl (30-18-48)
Hartnell (23-31-54) - Briere (44-18-62) - Leino (12-51-63)
Powe (12-16-28) - Giroux (43-43-86) - Carter (39-27-66)
Zherdev (29-4-33) - Betts (12-16-28) - Shelley (0-4-4)

Pronger (13-38-51) - Carle (0-27-27)
Timonen (4-39-43) - Coburn (4-16-20)
Meszaros (4-20-24) - O'Donnell (0-4-4)

We're on pace for 292 goals, and our GPG is 2nd in the NHL behind Detroit.

Closed Thread