HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #6

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Pens losing again 2-0 in the 1st period with MAF in net. Wow, what a failure he is this year .
To be fair, they are going up against Bryzgalov. I figured he could have a solid game tonight after being very pedestrian his last two starts...so far, so good (I have him in my keeper).

Edit: Great jinx on my part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I have MAF in half of my pools this year and he was my only keeper goalie in one of them...
That's what you get for taking him!

Last edited by Terence Peterman: 11-06-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old
11-06-2010, 09:23 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
To be fair, they are going up against Bryzgalov. I figured he could have a solid game tonight after being very pedestrian his last two starts...so far, so good (I have him in my keeper).

besides the fact that it is now 2-2

Old
11-06-2010, 09:24 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
It's nice to see the local guy making an impact early. He's +1 with a shot on goal so far. I hope the Avs made Shattenkirk-Cohen a pairing...
yea, played with him when we were younger

He was out there with Liles when they scored

Old
11-06-2010, 09:28 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
yea, played with him when we were younger

He was out there with Liles when they scored
Who'd he play for, the Junior Flyers? Or did you go through Radnor?

Old
11-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I didn't take him. I took over for teams that already had him on it.

Just not fair.

Old
11-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Kaktus*

Yotes with a goal. 3:2.

Old
11-06-2010, 09:39 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Who'd he play for, the Junior Flyers? Or did you go through Radnor?
I think he played for every team in the tri state area.

Played with him on a few summer teams back in the day

Old
11-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Garbage Goal

Isles have 8 seasons in a row with 6+ game losing streaks. Ouch. Kind of feel bad for Isles fans, they've been tortured for a while now.

Old
11-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Beastieboy

I see that MAF was pulled after 2 goals and 7 minutes. Awesome. Still remember Mr. Homer Bob Errey on the NHL network pre-season show raving about how awesome MAF looked in pre-season... while he picked them to win it all this year.

Old
11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Beastieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Isles have 8 seasons in a row with 6+ game losing streaks. Ouch. Kind of feel bad for Isles fans, they've been tortured for a while now.
Because of 1980 Cup robbery I can NEVER feel sorry for the Isles fans.

Old
11-06-2010, 10:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastieboy View Post
I see that MAF was pulled after 2 goals and 7 minutes. Awesome. Still remember Mr. Homer Bob Errey on the NHL network pre-season show raving about how awesome MAF looked in pre-season... while he picked them to win it all this year.
Who cares what NHL analysts say? Honestly, most of them understand the full story, but refuse to give it to the people.

The truth is that the Penguins live and die by a trio of centers. There is no depth there.

Is it any wonder that Staal goes out and things go to mediocre in a hurry?

There also a team that never could get a PP working. They have some nice offensive defensemen back there now, but none of them are Gonchar. You saw what happened to this team the last time they lost Gonchar right? Not only did they sink to the basement, but they got their coach fired. Gonchar returns and some nice depth pickups at the deadline and they get to the Finals and win (though I still say Detroit was the better team in that series).

Right now, the poll on NHL.com is "What team has the best powerplay?"
-Pittsburgh Penguins (12.9% / 22nd in NHL)
-San Jose Sharks (26.9% / 4th in NHL)
-Vancouver Canucks (28.3% / 1st in NHL)
-Chicago Blackhawks (27.8% / 2nd in NHL)
-Detroit Red Wings (16.7% / 16th in NHL)
-Other

Detroit doesn't have a traditionally bad PP, so MAYBE I could see the argument there, but Pittsburgh's been terrible for years on the PP. Why are they on the poll? They're not even losing the vote either.

Anyway, back to my rant.

The Penguins don't have depth. They have extraordinary talent down the middle. Because of that, they are a dangerous team on any given night. Dangerous though =/= contender.

I still have a hard time calling a team with no depth and no PP a legitimate contender.

Old
11-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Garbage Goal

In a 12-team league that I'm winning, I'm currently beating the 4th place team 12-1. I love that team. Only stat I'm losing is PIM (I ****ing hate that stat as a fantasy stat).

Old
11-07-2010, 12:43 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Who cares what NHL analysts say? Honestly, most of them understand the full story, but refuse to give it to the people.

The truth is that the Penguins live and die by a trio of centers. There is no depth there.

Is it any wonder that Staal goes out and things go to mediocre in a hurry?

There also a team that never could get a PP working. They have some nice offensive defensemen back there now, but none of them are Gonchar. You saw what happened to this team the last time they lost Gonchar right? Not only did they sink to the basement, but they got their coach fired. Gonchar returns and some nice depth pickups at the deadline and they get to the Finals and win (though I still say Detroit was the better team in that series).

Right now, the poll on NHL.com is "What team has the best powerplay?"
-Pittsburgh Penguins (12.9% / 22nd in NHL)
-San Jose Sharks (26.9% / 4th in NHL)
-Vancouver Canucks (28.3% / 1st in NHL)
-Chicago Blackhawks (27.8% / 2nd in NHL)
-Detroit Red Wings (16.7% / 16th in NHL)
-Other

Detroit doesn't have a traditionally bad PP, so MAYBE I could see the argument there, but Pittsburgh's been terrible for years on the PP. Why are they on the poll? They're not even losing the vote either.

Anyway, back to my rant.

The Penguins don't have depth. They have extraordinary talent down the middle. Because of that, they are a dangerous team on any given night. Dangerous though =/= contender.

I still have a hard time calling a team with no depth and no PP a legitimate contender.
Bob Errey is an idiot. last years playoffs he refused to come on NHLLive for months after shooting hos mouth off how his Pens were going to steamroll the Habs. oops.
Why are they in the poll? because they are the leagues baby. they get the calls at critical times. Last year they were handed more PP chances then any team in the NHL and their PP still sucked.
Look at tonight, down by a goal in the 2nd and in danger losing again and they get handed a 5 on 3 PP and the Pens of course tie it.
They have been getting shoddy goaltending from MAF(there is a thread on their board about sending him to WBS) but have been getting over his head goaltending from Brent Johnson. None of their wingers do anything for me at all. Chris Kunitz? please.

Old
11-08-2010, 11:10 AM
chaosof99*

So there's a hockey movie on the horizon. It's produced by MTV, stars Seann William Scott and is called 'Goon'. Guess what colors the team of the main character wears...

Old
11-08-2010, 11:32 AM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Awesome.

Old
11-08-2010, 11:41 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

anyone else playing NHL11?
I am playing a season(just started) and won my first 2. 4-3 over Pittsburgh and 5-2 over St. Louis. Can you upload the new rosters once you start a season? Gagne is still on the team as is Asham. Shelley is and Cote is but they already got sent to the minors.
I also just started playing that "Be A Pro" part of the game. I am a offensive defenseman. Got drafted by Toronto in the 5th round. FML. Got sent to the Marlies after 2 preseason games.
I had to go back to the NHL94 controls because I just could not get used to using the default options for the game.

Old
11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

im also on the "penguins aren't contenders" boat. but goddamnit, they're the NHL's mascot, so theyre going to do everything possible to convince us they're top 2 or 3 in the East

Old
11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
anyone else playing NHL11?
I am playing a season(just started) and won my first 2. 4-3 over Pittsburgh and 5-2 over St. Louis. Can you upload the new rosters once you start a season? Gagne is still on the team as is Asham. Shelley is and Cote is but they already got sent to the minors.
I also just started playing that "Be A Pro" part of the game. I am a offensive defenseman. Got drafted by Toronto in the 5th round. FML. Got sent to the Marlies after 2 preseason games.
I had to go back to the NHL94 controls because I just could not get used to using the default options for the game.
Once you start it you can't get the new rosters sadly. Your BAGM mode for all intents and purposes is a world of its own after it starts.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Awesome.
Actually, I'm rather displeased with that. To me it's simply bad stereotyping because every single team in the league does this (with the possible exception of Detroit). I get where it come and I can take it when it's played for laughs. 1976 Philadelphia Flyers being on the jury of the damned, that's comedy. However, when it's portrayed like the Flyers are the root of it all and the only one's who ever start with it, I don't like it because it's simply not true.

Overall I'm rather displeased with hockey movies as they almost always are about the goons and the violence, never really acknowledging how much hockey is about skill. The Mighty Ducks movies are pretty much the only ones and they're designed for the kids.

Old
11-08-2010, 11:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Once you start it you can't get the new rosters sadly. Your BAGM mode for all intents and purposes is a world of its own after it starts.
yeah I kind of figured that. I looked for it and didnt see it, but I wanted to ask in case I was missing something.

Old
11-08-2010, 11:52 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Angela James will finally be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Cammi Granato will also be inducted this year.

Dino Ciccarelli, Jim Devellano (Wings executive) and Daryl Seaman (founding member of the Calgary Flames) round out the 2010 inductees.

Old
11-08-2010, 11:59 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Pat Burns and Doug Gilmour should be going in ahead of some of the people in this years class.

Old
11-08-2010, 01:25 PM
chaosof99*

Jon Matsumoto with a regrettable headshot.

Old
11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
So there's a hockey movie on the horizon. It's produced by MTV, stars Seann William Scott and is called 'Goon'. Guess what colors the team of the main character wears...
What's really entertaining is that the other team looks like the Hawks. Come on movie people, get some creativity in there!

Old
11-08-2010, 08:24 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1772
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-in-on-tv-deal

Quote:
The NHL couldn’t have picked a better time for its free-agent season.

The league’s TV deals in the United States with NBC and Versus expire after this season and the league has begun to quietly looking around for a deal that could better line the pockets of its owners.

According to a report this week in MediaWeek, ESPN is ready to mount a challenge to bring back hockey, and other reports say FOX is interested in the NHL again, with the league in place to benefit from a mini bidding war to land a deal up to 50 per cent better than what it has right now.

Versus has an exclusive negotiating window in December. But as of now the NHL is in a better position than ever. Not only is it coming off buzz-inducing playoffs that saw record ratings for hockey and a renewed interest in the sport, but it may well be the only sport on the dial next autumn.

With both the NBA and NFL warning of lockouts as both leagues head into collective bargaining, the NHL has the added bonus of being able to guarantee content for the network or networks that are willing to pay to carry its games.

Closed Thread