HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Rivet to San Jose

Old
11-03-2010, 02:46 AM
zombiekopitor
Timo Time

vCash: 50
Rivet to San Jose

Part of me wishes DW would have just kept him over Blake, I think he would be a great fit with Boyle.
To Buf
Huskins
3rd
To SJ
Rivet
or

Neimi
3rd
for
Rivet
Lalime
I really dont know his value to the team being captain and all, I believe he was dealt there for a 2nd,so this is sort of on par

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:53 AM
BillR10

vCash: 500
It was 2 2nd rd picks that we got for him. As for those offers, buffalo says no to both.

BillR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:55 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Considering the way he's been playing, he doesn't really seem like a good fit for the Sharks anymore. Also, the Huskins - Demers pair has been the most reliable pair of the Sharks so far, so I don't really want to break that up just yet.
Maybe for picks and prospects at the deadline. Don't know if Buffalo would trade their captain despite his poor play though.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Cuse44

Buffalo does not need Niemi. Rivet gets a bad rap from Sabre fans because he is super slow. I believe he still plays sound positionally and adds a little bit of toughness on our blueline. I'm not too familiar with Huskins to comment. I believe Rivet's contract expires at seasons end so if Buffalo is out of the playoff picture then you can have him back for a pick. Either way I doubt Buffalo resigns him next season since we seem to have a glut of defensemen.

Cuse44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
If Buffalo is trading Rivet, that means they're out of it. If that's the case, a pick or prospect will suffice. Probably a 3rd or 4th.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:21 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

IMO....you can have Rivet back for nada. With the way we've been playing, we might as well give his minutes to Weber. I've felt this way about dumping Rivet all of last year too...his "leadership" just doesn't measure up to what he is being paid, and his ability. He'll retire at the end of the year but playing for a contender might rejuvinate him.

Now if SJ wants him back and needs to shed a few bucks, and I'm in the mood to remold the Sabres, can we do something around Rivet++ for a package around Clowe?

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
IMO....you can have Rivet back for nada. With the way we've been playing, we might as well give his minutes to Weber. I've felt this way about dumping Rivet all of last year too...his "leadership" just doesn't measure up to what he is being paid, and his ability. He'll retire at the end of the year but playing for a contender might rejuvinate him.

Now if SJ wants him back and needs to shed a few bucks, and I'm in the mood to remold the Sabres, can we do something around Rivet++ for a package around Clowe?
The ++ would have to be significant.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:28 AM
luiginb

We need top 4 defensemen, not Rivet. I'd give them McGinn+ for Montador though.

luiginb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:26 AM
hockeyball

I like Rivet, but he's broken, plus I believe he's pretty pissed at DW. No interest at this point.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 11:45 AM
zombiekopitor
Timo Time

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by luiginb View Post
We need top 4 defensemen, not Rivet. I'd give them McGinn+ for Montador though.
That would be such a huge mistake, Mcginn has too much needed grit and speed.Rivet is just as much a top four as Montador and both would basically be a small upgrade over Murray, but I just think Rivet is fit for top minutes alot better then him, I could be wrong but I think he'd open up the ice for Boyle better and makes a better breakout pass
Rivet-Boyle
Vlasic-Wallin
Murray-Demers
of course I too would rather get a true 2-3 guy,but this looks alot better then what it is now and is low risk high reward.

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I like Rivet, but he's broken, plus I believe he's pretty pissed at DW. No interest at this point.
I know he was unhappy, especially at 1st... but, I think DW helped, at least indirectly, to sell the house that Rivet had just bought, and at least not for a loss either.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:24 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
I know he was unhappy, especially at 1st... but, I think DW helped, at least indirectly, to sell the house that Rivet had just bought, and at least not for a loss either.
Weren't there reports that DW also offered him a NTC with a smaller salary?

Old
11-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Weren't there reports that DW also offered him a NTC with a smaller salary?
Hmmm, I don't distinctly remember if there were reports or if it was speculation that made sense.... come to think of it, that goes for the house thing as well.... I'm getting old lol. I think I remember Blake buying Rivets house, but now I'm not sure if he did, or was just looking at it.

I know, I'm a huge help .

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Pinkfloyd

Rivet is done as a top four d-man and I wouldn't even deal Huskins or Wallin for him at this stage.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:14 PM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
I think I remember Blake buying Rivets house, but now I'm not sure if he did, or was just looking at it.
According to Drew, he did.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Sharksfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie kopitar View Post
That would be such a huge mistake, Mcginn has too much needed grit and speed.Rivet is just as much a top four as Montador and both would basically be a small upgrade over Murray, but I just think Rivet is fit for top minutes alot better then him, I could be wrong but I think he'd open up the ice for Boyle better and makes a better breakout pass
Rivet-Boyle
Vlasic-Wallin
Murray-Demers
of course I too would rather get a true 2-3 guy,but this looks alot better then what it is now and is low risk high reward.
ATM I think it'd be a mistake for the Sharks to switch around the Demers - Huskins duo, they're playing well together

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie kopitar View Post
Rivet-Boyle
Vlasic-Wallin
Murray-Demers
No. Monty is much better at this point. He's really improved since coming to Buffalo.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:23 AM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
No. Monty is much better at this point. He's really improved since coming to Buffalo.
I second this. Montador is much more fit to handle top four minutes right now than Rivet. Montador isn't perfect, but he is a pretty decent second pairing defenseman if he has the right partner (one that can cover his *** when he gets caught). Even though this isn't saying a lot, he has probably been our best defenseman so far this year, though you could make arguments for Sekera and Leopold.

edit: And, besides Myers, Rivet has been the worst thus far IMO.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:27 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

i don't agree that rivet has been bad. i think fans just blame him because the team looses. while he is not a top line guy to fill some kind of need is something he can do. he still plays a smart game and pinches well for a big guy

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:41 AM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
i don't agree that rivet has been bad. i think fans just blame him because the team looses. while he is not a top line guy to fill some kind of need is something he can do. he still plays a smart game and pinches well for a big guy
He plays well enough considering his significant mobility limitations, but I'd much rather have Butler in the lineup. Rivet's skating is a big weakness and gets him into more and more trouble as he gets older and slower. He is limited to third pairing minutes and doesn't bring much to the lineup IMO.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:57 AM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
He plays well enough considering his significant mobility limitations, but I'd much rather have Butler in the lineup. Rivet's skating is a big weakness and gets him into more and more trouble as he gets older and slower. He is limited to third pairing minutes and doesn't bring much to the lineup IMO.

well i don't see it. what i have been seeing is myers cough the puck up in several games... like at least 5 and it always leads to a goal. Perhaps rivet is being blamed so we don't have to acknowledge the fact that myers has been struggling? I don't know, I just think the rivet criticism is overblown. The game he plays seems to be more effective when the rest of the team is playing theirs.

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 11-04-2010 at 01:04 AM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:14 AM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpressedDAHagent View Post
well i don't see it. what i have been seeing is myers cough the puck up in several games... like at least 5 and it always leads to a goal. Perhaps rivet is being blamed so we don't have to acknowledge the fact that myers has been struggling? I don't know, I just think the rivet criticism is overblown. The game he plays seems to be more effective when the rest of the team is playing theirs.
I said in my first post in this thread that I think Myers has been the worst defenseman on the team to this point, so I obviously agree with you that Myers has been struggling. Despite that, though, this team's best chance at improving defensively is for Myers to find his game again. If this poor play keeps up for a significant stretch (i.e. closer to 20-30 games), then I would certainly sit him for a stretch of games, but he is the only potential #1 defenseman on this roster. I think he needs to play through this.

In Rivet's case, we have guys sitting in the press box who could potentially fill his role. Butler has shown that he is a capable third pairing defenseman and potential top four guy and Weber has shown flashes of the ability to be a physical, safe third pairing defenseman. Rivet and Myers are different situations that need to be approached differently IMO.

Old
11-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Why get Rivet? I think pressure needs to be added until DW is forced to lace em up himself for one more year.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote