HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Identity

Old
11-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Scooter17

vCash: 500
Team Identity

I think we finally know what our team identity is and I am liking it. Our identity is a hardworking blue collar team that can grind out some wins. Guys like Callahan, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Prust, Staal, Girardi, and Del Zotto are the face of our identity. When Drury and Prospal come back I know they will fit right in. Hopefully Gaborik can fit right in as well and the team doesn't go back to the way they have played in the past where they sit around and wait for Gaborik to do something.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:34 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Very good post and good timing. Last nights win was one of the first times in a long time we actually saw a team identity really start to take shape. This is very important. Kudos to the players and Torts.

But this is something that has to continue, its gotta be their mantra. Night in, Night out. As Cally says, anyone plays well when they are feeling good. Its what you do the nights when you don't which separates the men from the boys. And this is a tough identity to carry the entire season.

The big worry is can they sustain it? Its a very bruising type of game with all the shot blocking forechecking and buzzing around. Its great to watch but its grueling on the players. That first line is out there every two minutes and as we saw last night Dubi and Cally both took some hard bumps and bruises. That first line is unlike so many first lines in the league in that they dont do it on finesse, they do it physically and make plays off of disrupting the other teams D. Thats their M.O. so it has to be played that way, every night. Same with the D stepping up, taking the body and getting in the way of hard shots.

The one thing we can hang our hat on is that even though that top line is being thrown out on the ice in every situation right now, the Rangers will hopefully be getting back 3 top players who can offset some of that time and in turn should alleviate a portion of that sustainability question. With Gaborik and Drury especially, the 1st line minutes and the PK should help offset some of Cally and Dubi's minutes. They are driving this team right now. I'd love to see how this first line will do when they are actually the second and playing against second pairings instead of top lines like last night.

Its great to see the homegrown core come into their own. I just hope they can sustain it while staying healthy.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 11-02-2010 at 11:41 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:54 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
I think we finally know what our team identity is and I am liking it. Our identity is a hardworking blue collar team that can grind out some wins. Guys like Callahan, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Prust, Staal, Girardi, and Del Zotto are the face of our identity. When Drury and Prospal come back I know they will fit right in. Hopefully Gaborik can fit right in as well and the team doesn't go back to the way they have played in the past where they sit around and wait for Gaborik to do something.
I kid you not I was about to make the same exact post as a new topic like you did. I agree 1000000%. Finally, we are a team with an identity and it's a blue chollar team. It's a shame the Garden crowd can't acknowledge the team with consistent chants rather than a measly 4 second chant. It's these types of teams that fans can play a huge role in by lifting the team.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Slick Rick 61

At the rate this team is blocking shots and playing gritty, someone else is going to get hurt. Hopefully Gaborik's return in two weeks will help have the opposition focus on him when he's on the ice and stop making the defense as aggressive when he's on the ice. As great as all these blocked shots are, it's still concerning that they are giving up this many shot attempts per game.

As for team identity, I also hope Gaborik's return doesn't change the team's attitude.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:56 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Boy, Brian Burke would be happy to have our team. We're playing his style of hockey.

Last edited by hpNYR: 11-02-2010 at 12:03 PM.
hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Scooter17

I agree they won't be able to play this way every night...or at least it will be very hard to do. Hopefully that's where some of our more skilled players like Gaborik can steal us some games throughout the season. The big thing though, is that their attitude doesn't change when Gaborik comes back.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
This part here is key. That stuff drove me nuts. He needs his linemates need to work hard to create space if they want to feed Gaborik. They also need to utilize the space that Gaborik gives them as defenders are going to close on him.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:36 PM
pld459666

This is no longers Gaboriks or Drury's team.

This team belongs to Brandon, Ryan, Artem, Prust, Lundqvist, Staal, Girardi.

Now, Gaborik is no less important than any of the above, but he needs to follow theri lead.

Let him do his thing in terms of scoring goals and let the kids lead this franchise.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:55 PM
averyrule

Love the way this team has been playing lately. I'm particularly surprized with the amount of offense we've been getting, especially considering all the injuries we've had to deal with. The Rangers have played a total of 11 games and so far there have only been 3 games where they have scored less than 3 goals. The defense can be a little shakey in some games, but overall this team has played great. I can only imagine what will happen when Gaborik comes back!

averyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:06 PM
NYR Viper

Fire Torts!!

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

When coaches and guys from other teams are noting how hard the guys are working and how they grind out games you know its working. i love the hard working attitude of everyone on this team. Like the op said dru and prospal will fit right in and help out and gaborik will be icing on the cake. And the team should be able to keep it going into the future with stepan, werek, bourque and kreider who are all hard working 110 % effort kinda guys coming into the system.
i actually really enjoy watching ranger hockey now that we have an identity and know we can win games.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Now, Gaborik is no less important than any of the above, but he needs to follow theri lead.

Let him do his thing in terms of scoring goals and let the kids lead this franchise.
Yep.

I'm not ready to jump on a ship named "the Cup is ours!", but we have been playing well and with a lot of character.

Need to see how we do against teams like flyers......

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
It pains me to say it but... This is the type of team the isles have had since the lock out and has kept them competitive for the most part, sans the tavares pick at first overall.

I now wonder if our color com joe micdouche will credit us the same way he's credited the asslanders for the last 4 years.

This is what we have been waiting for. If callahan anisimov and dubinsky can keep this up, when gaborik and co come back three lines of,

Dubi-Anisimov-Cally
Gaborik- Prospal- Frolov
Drury- Stepan- Boyle/prust
Avery-Christensen-Boyle/prust

Is an extremely forimidable line up. Superstar in gaborik. Outstanding secondary scoring. Tons of skilled two way players. A top 5 goaltender.

The only thing that scares me is our defense but I'm sure slats will make a trade to shore that up.

Eminger scares me on defense and so does Del Zotto. I feel more comfortable with Gilroy and sauer on the ice than either of them. DZ isn't producing either which makes his lack of defense un acceptable.

I haven't been this excited for a Rangers team in my 14 years of fandom.

Edit: How the **** did I forget about avery???

With him in, thats four effective lines you can roll against any team.

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 11-03-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Youre scratching Avery? He has 7 points in 11 games. Even to a guy like me, thats cold.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:39 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
i would throw boyle in there too. i love the way he's been playing. his line with aves and feds has been great too in keeping with this identity.

and all i can remember now is last year a lot of people complaining: why did we waste a 3rd round pick? only a average 4th line center...etc. kudos to torts and (gulp) sather for making a good deal there and seeing something in a guy that the kings obviously didn't.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:42 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Youre scratching Avery? He has 7 points in 11 games. Even to a guy like me, thats cold.
yea that's not happening. i'd hedge my bet on stepan getting scratched/sent down for a while once the 3 vets come back.

and obviously white and grach will be gone.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:51 PM
XLJ

Here is a quote from Christensen on Dubinsky from last night: "Dubi does it all...he really cares and has stepped up to be one of the leaders in this room"

The more and more you watch this team. The more it is becoming very obvious it is turning into Callahan, Dubinsky & Staal's team. Its great to see.

No way you can scratch Avery. He has 7 points in 11 games and his playing less than 15 minutes a night. He is a very good bottom 6 player. He is playing great. Drury has a role when he comes back but it shouldn't be as big as it once were. He will definately help the pk.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

C - Callahan
A - Dubinsky
A - Staal/Stepan

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:04 PM
RangerBlues

The puck possession game is getting better and needs to quickly.
No way they can sustain blocking that many shots a night and not expect guys to start going down.
Cally and Dubi must have psychedelic colors all over them after the last two games.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:21 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

The way Avery has been passing this year I think he deserves more PP time

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:42 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
The way Avery has been passing this year I think he deserves more PP time
100% agree plus he's a good damn nuisance in front of the net. I'd also like to see boyle in front of the net more on the pp. 6'7 250 that now knows how to use his body

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:07 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Very good post and good timing. Last nights win was one of the first times in a long time we actually saw a team identity really start to take shape. This is very important. Kudos to the players and Torts.

But this is something that has to continue, its gotta be their mantra. Night in, Night out. As Cally says, anyone plays well when they are feeling good. Its what you do the nights when you don't which separates the men from the boys. And this is a tough identity to carry the entire season.

The big worry is can they sustain it? Its a very bruising type of game with all the shot blocking forechecking and buzzing around. Its great to watch but its grueling on the players. That first line is out there every two minutes and as we saw last night Dubi and Cally both took some hard bumps and bruises. That first line is unlike so many first lines in the league in that they dont do it on finesse, they do it physically and make plays off of disrupting the other teams D. Thats their M.O. so it has to be played that way, every night. Same with the D stepping up, taking the body and getting in the way of hard shots.

The one thing we can hang our hat on is that even though that top line is being thrown out on the ice in every situation right now, the Rangers will hopefully be getting back 3 top players who can offset some of that time and in turn should alleviate a portion of that sustainability question. With Gaborik and Drury especially, the 1st line minutes and the PK should help offset some of Cally and Dubi's minutes. They are driving this team right now. I'd love to see how this first line will do when they are actually the second and playing against second pairings instead of top lines like last night.

Its great to see the homegrown core come into their own. I just hope they can sustain it while staying healthy.
This is my biggest fear with this plan of action. It's not the type of approach that can last 82 games. You saw how well Dubi, Cally, and AA played. But if only one was dogging it, the line would be ineffective. It actually takes all 5 on the ice to be on the same page. To have the same intensity. That's a tough nut to sustain throughout a crueling season.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:24 AM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
This is my biggest fear with this plan of action. It's not the type of approach that can last 82 games. You saw how well Dubi, Cally, and AA played. But if only one was dogging it, the line would be ineffective. It actually takes all 5 on the ice to be on the same page. To have the same intensity. That's a tough nut to sustain throughout a crueling season.
Absolutely agree, but by all means, I believe Tort's "system" was introduced last season, this season we're seeing a good portion of it and consistently, so far. Even if it doesn't fully function the entire season, every player that is on this team who currently that will be on the team next year should have every expectation and idea down on what he wants to implement and how to make it function, which is great for the future, especially when it's three of our homegrown players (which I hope to god we don't lose/deal in the future) who are utilizing their talents to fit with the system and taking a leading role in representing this team's identity. Makes it easier for UFA/Waiver pickups to come in and learn the way we play, or would like to, when you have players who know what the coach wants and expects every night who are able to teach other players, unlike last year, where no one really knew what Torts wanted, aside from a few games here or there. I've never seen the Rangers in the last few years forecheck this much, drive to the net this much... or any of a lot of what I've seen the last few games. When Gaborik/Prospal/Drury return, they need to buy into the system rather than doing what they've always done, which does make me a bit worried, but I don't have any doubt that they could if they wanted to. Once we make a D move, or somehow DZ/Gilroy/Eminger start to actually pick their play up, I'm sure things will roll a bit more easier.

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Katharina

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Exactly. So good to see so far!

Katharina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 06:41 PM
NYRCC

I think it was clear what management wanted our identity to be a few years ago. it's just taken time for players to develop and earn their stripes. Just looking at our past few drafts alone, you'll see that we've taken loads of hard working, blue collar, north-south type players. We're in great shape with Dubi, Artie and Cally and Torts is the perfect coach for these kids.

A year or two ago I was skeptical about any window of opportunity opening for this team... Not anymore. It's coming. I find myself having a completely different outlook these days. For once, our identity isn't a single player, it's a team again. Our best days are ahead of us. This I'm sure of.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote