Notices

The Music Thread

Old
11-02-2010, 02:23 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
The Music Thread

Thought I'd get some music talk goin' on in here.

What's everyone listening to right now that you're diggin'?

For me, it's a hip hop group called The Left. Their album Gas Mask is one of my favorite releases of the year. The group consists of Apollo Brown, Journalist 103 & DJ Soko. Great album with guest spots from Guilty Simpson and Kool G. Rap.

If you like hip hop and you haven't heard of producer Apollo Brown, you should look him up. If you're a fan of producers such as J Dilla and Black Milk, you'll probably like what you hear from Apollo Brown. One of my favorite producers on the come up.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:27 PM
VaporGenie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fTYS1F9kjQ

Last edited by VaporGenie: 11-02-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: cant figure out how to embed
VaporGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:31 PM
The Gnome

right now I can't stop listening to the Black Keys new album Brothers. Every song is like listening to a 1st track...Best all around album I've heard in years.

After seeing Tool in Vancouver this summer, it was hard to listen to anything else. Best live band I've ever seen.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:40 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
right now I can't stop listening to the Black Keys new album Brothers. Every song is like listening to a 1st track...Best all around album I've heard in years.

Nice. One of my favorite bands (same with Tool). Brothers is a great album. 'Ten Cent Pistol' is my favorite track on that album. It's a band that never fails to impress, with every album.

You've heard the Blakroc album, right? If not, it's a must that you do.

Old
11-02-2010, 02:50 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Nice. One of my favorite bands (same with Tool). Brothers is a great album. 'Ten Cent Pistol' is my favorite track on that album. It's a band that never fails to impress, with every album.

You've heard the Blakroc album, right? If not, it's a must that you do.

No I haven't but from watching your youtube post it seems like something I could get into. Pretty sick track...I'm not a hip-hop fan at all, but when it's blended so well with music I like it's great to listen to for me.

However probably my fav band of all time, and always will be, Rage Against The Machine. Zach De La Rocha is a freaking genius!! Tom Morrelo made me want to play guitar when I was a kid.

Last edited by The Gnome: 11-02-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old
11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
flames123

Country.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:59 PM
JorgeRocks!

Listening to a lot of the roots now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Qr5oKKP-M

Dear God 2.0 with Monsters of Folk

And Wayne's latest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w11_UUbezrg

With you with drake

Bit more mainstream, but always loved Blakroc, done did it

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:01 PM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Thought I'd get some music talk goin' on in here.

What's everyone listening to right now that you're diggin'?

For me, it's a hip hop group called The Left. Their album Gas Mask is one of my favorite releases of the year. The group consists of Apollo Brown, Journalist 103 & DJ Soko. Great album with guest spots from Guilty Simpson and Kool G. Rap.

If you like hip hop and you haven't heard of producer Apollo Brown, you should look him up. If you're a fan of producers such as J Dilla and Black Milk, you'll probably like what you hear from Apollo Brown. One of my favorite producers on the come up.

Sounds like something my man common would just tear up that second one. Those guys Left are dope man. Glad I made the click. Good canadian group i like is grand analog. Got some collabs with Shad, played a show at the Olympics, on their way up

Last edited by JorgeRocks!: 11-02-2010 at 05:10 PM.
JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:20 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

vCash: 50
Lately just can't seem to get enough of these tracks:

(From Kno's new album [producer from CunninLynguists])

(Yelawolf really is blowin up right now)

(Some French hip-hop with a hynpotizing beat)

(And you know I loves me some metal!)

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:49 PM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

I guess I'm a bit more mainstream than you guys lol. The last few days I've been jamming to White Crosses, the new album from Against Me! If it's not that, lately it's been more rap stuff like Kanye and Jay-Z. I'm also a big fan of Bad Religion, so my music taste is a bit all over the map lol.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Steven

Stars
Tame Impala
The National
The Tallest Man On Earth

Not sure if anyone else on this board is into this stuff.

Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

I like to consider myself diverse.

I LOVE mainstream music, but not all of it. Only the really catchy stuff. Hate gay **** like Train, love gay **** like Adam Lambert. I like Shawn Desman, T.I., etc. but just their popular songs and singles.

I love most of the genres of metal (such as metalcore, thrash, and old school stuff like Priest, Maiden, and Sabbath) and consider myself a metalhead first and foremost.

I also listen to more contemporary rock like Nickeback, Three Days Grace, Shinedown, etc.

I enjoy rap, all kinds. Tupac, Eminem, Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, etc. Don't really care for Drake, Jason Derulo or whatever. But then you guys probably don't consider them rappers.

As far as country goes, Outlaw Country only. Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams et all.

Don't give me no crap about Kenny Chesney, or Dierks Bently. All the new pop country is crap as far as I'm concerned.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Snazu

I saw Arcade Fire about a month ago. That was frickin awsome! One of the best concerts I'd ever been too.

Snazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazu View Post
I saw Arcade Fire about a month ago. That was frickin awsome! One of the best concerts I'd ever been too.
So bummed I missed that, I heard it was great though! Seeing as how you like Arcade Fire, did you see Stars last night? They're kinda similar bands, haha.

Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:29 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
So bummed I missed that, I heard it was great though! Seeing as how you like Arcade Fire, did you see Stars last night? They're kinda similar bands, haha.
I frigging LOVE Stars. Not a big fan of Arcade Fire, but Stars is excellent imo.

Old
11-03-2010, 12:43 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
No I haven't but from watching your youtube post it seems like something I could get into. Pretty sick track...I'm not a hip-hop fan at all, but when it's blended so well with music I like it's great to listen to for me.

The album was released last year, and it's collaboration album by The Black Keys and some hip hop/R&B artists. Great album from start to finish. I some some people who are not into hip hop at all and loved this album.

While we're on the topic of The Black Keys, also check out Dan Auerbach's solo album if you haven't already. It's titled Keep It Hid, and was also released last year.

Quote:
However probably my fav band of all time, and always will be, Rage Against The Machine. Zach De La Rocha is a freaking genius!! Tom Morrelo made me want to play guitar when I was a kid.

One of my favorites as well. Still waitin' on that supposed Zack De La Rocha solo album. He could at least release some new material from One Day As A Lion. Anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
Stars
Tame Impala
The National
The Tallest Man On Earth

Not sure if anyone else on this board is into this stuff.

I'm a fan of Stars and The National, but I'm not familiar with the other two.

Old
11-03-2010, 12:53 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

Quote:
One of my favorites as well. Still waitin' on that supposed Zack De La Rocha solo album. He could at least release some new material from One Day As A Lion. Anything...
Ditto on this. I liked One Day As A Lion, and then it kind of died off and nothing seems to have come of it. Kinda sad really, I love Rage and One Day was as close as we were going to get to anything remotely like Rage.

Anyone else in here like Flobots? They've grown on me a lot as of late, it all kind of started when I heard Handlebars and I've just liked the rest of their stuff. Their new (well, most recent) album Survival Story is sick.

Old
11-03-2010, 01:52 AM
CPRSRPUNKS

Wow, been in China 8 years and have no clue about these bands/groups/singers. A few good up and coming bands have come through here. The one I'd recommend the most is Hollerado. fun, entertaining, Canadian band. I'll deffinitely try to find these others you guys are talking about.

CPRSRPUNKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:37 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Yeah I loved one day as a lion too. I honestly think the reason he didn't do a full lion album is that RATM is getting back together. They've been playing shows the last couple years and none of them have ruled out another album during recent interviews.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Grannys

Seeing Massive Attack on saturday!!!!! with Thievery Corp. opening!

Im pretty all over the place at the moment, moving between the world of electronic and dark metal.

Here are some samples of beats and melodies that have rocked my head in recent days:

I just discovered Pretty Lights, so rad and he gives away all his music for free on his site.

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Grannys

Quote:
Yeah I loved one day as a lion too. I honestly think the reason he didn't do a full lion album is that RATM is getting back together. They've been playing shows the last couple years and none of them have ruled out another album during recent interviews.
They had some momentum building last year but 2010 has been extremely quiet for them. Honestly think its not happening.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:17 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
Seeing Massive Attack on saturday!!!!! with Thievery Corp. opening!

You lucky son of a *****. lol.

They're on my list of groups to see live before I die. HUGE fan.

Massive Attack are awesome too. They put on a great show.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Grannys

Quote:
The album was released last year, and it's collaboration album by The Black Keys and some hip hop/R&B artists. Great album from start to finish. I some some people who are not into hip hop at all and loved this album.
I was actually quite disappointed in that album, felt there was something missing from most tracks or none of them just grabbed me. Maybe I hyped in my head too much when I heard that Pharoahe Monch was on the album, absolutely love his soulful rhymes. I guess for me the album wasnt catchy enough, that sounds cheesy but with some of the rappers and Dan at the helm I expect a few more hits. Maybe I just need to listen to it again... The videos leading up to the release were great

Old
11-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Grannys

Quote:
You lucky son of a *****. lol.

They're on my list of groups to see live before I die. HUGE fan.

Massive Attack are awesome too. They put on a great show.
Saw Thievery 2 years ago at a festival and they were pretty amazing, a lot of the singers from the albums joined them which is quite a group of vocalists to tour with the group.

Also saw Massive Attack 5 months ago and that was hands down one of the best gig I have ever seen. So seriously ***** rad!!! Their light show was amazing and having a full band play behind the band was perfect for their music.

Crazy to see Massive Attack twice in a year when before that I have waited for years for the even play a single show anywhere. Have to jump on the opportunity as after this they probably wont play again for 10 years.

Old
11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Lunatik*

I've been banging the new Ice Cube and Big Boi albums lately

and Cord good call on Yellawolf, hadn't heard of him unti I saw the video for 'Ain't No DJ'... he definately has some skills

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote