Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Music Thread

Old
11-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
new Quincy Jones & Ludacris ( feat Naturally 7) joint... have to say I love the way the horns sound ... but then again that's why Quincy Jones is a musical god

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:53 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
... but then again that's why Quincy Jones is a musical god

"AND YOU KNOW THIS MAAAAN!"

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more. Greatest music producer of all time. I'm diggin' that track too. Good stuff.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:18 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post

"AND YOU KNOW THIS MAAAAN!"

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more. Greatest music producer of all time. I'm diggin' that track too. Good stuff.
unfortunately the other new Quincy single is him and Akon... however I have to admit he sounds better with Quincy than he does with other artists

Old
11-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Lunatik*

I can't believe I forgot to post this earlier... one of the greatest hip-hop tracks of all-time IMO...

The D.O.C - It's Funky Enough

it's too bad Doc was in a nasty accident that completely trashed his voice... had he been able to follow up his debut album he would be one of the greatest of all-time... his debut album (in 1989) was certified gold in 3 months and finally went platinum in 1994... but let's be fair here this was before rap albums sold well

but you have to admire his heart... this a bit about him from wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_D.O.C.
Quote:
Early career

The D.O.C. contributed lyrics and vocals to N.W.A.'s debut album, Straight Outta Compton and to Eazy E's debut, Eazy-Duz-It. He was recruited as a member of Fila Fresh Crew which turned out successful until he went to California for N.W.A.. When Ice Cube left the group, the group remained impressed with The D.O.C.'s work and kept him on board.

In 1989, The D.O.C. released his Dr. Dre-produced debut album, No One Can Do It Better. The album was very well received by critics, and sold very well, peaking at #20 on the Billboard 200.[1] Allmusic gives the album a five-star rating and describes it as "an early landmark of West Coast Rap" as well as "an undeniable masterpiece". The track Portrait Of A Masterpiece was remixed in the UK for Atlantic Records by CJ Macintosh and Eddie Gordon in 1991, becoming an underground anthem with DJ Sasha.[2]
[edit] Accident and aftermath

Not long after his debut album was released in 1989, his vocal cords were damaged in a car accident.

However, The D.O.C. remained important to Dr. Dre, who used his talents as one of the writers for his debut solo album The Chronic, contributing to the tracks "Lil' Ghetto Boy," "A ***** Witta Gun," and "*****es Ain't ****". He also appeared on the skit track "The $20 Sack Pyramid." He is referenced by name in "Nuthin' but a G Thang," and appears in the song's video as well. The liner notes to The Chronic say, "I want to give a special shout out to The D.O.C. for talking me into doin' this album." His name is mentioned by Snoop Dogg in the intro of the album. ("Peace to my ***** D.O.C., still makin' it funky enough").
it's crazy to think he went from the voice in the video above to this... he's still pretty dope though IMO

Old
11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

No One Can Do It Better is a West Coast classic. And although The D.O.C.'s other albums following his debut didn't measure up to it, they were still pretty good.

Goin back a little further, remember MC Breed & DFC's 'Ain't No Future In Yo Frontin' track? One of my all time favorite hip hop tracks.

King Tee's early albums were the **** too. At Your Own Risk and Tha Triflin' Album are personal classics to me. His collabos with Ice Cube especially were always stand out tracks. 'Got It Bad Y'All' was my introduction to Tha Alkaholiks, so that track will always mean something to me.

Last edited by StreakingRed: 11-19-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old
11-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Lunatik*

I love King T... although Dippin was always my fave track of his...

Old
11-19-2010, 06:46 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Good **** guys. I think 99% of ppl would expect a music thread in Calgary to be all country, Nickelback and The Tragically Hip. Thank god.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 07:21 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Underrated gem from the golden era:

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2010, 07:00 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Gangrene's Gutter Water, been bumpin' this all day today. I like it, it was well worth the wait. (Anyone not aware, Gangrene is The Alchemist & Oh No).

Old
11-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Lunatik*

OMG I don't know how I never saw this gem before now...

I'm in shock and don't know what to think

Old
11-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Pilkington

What's with all the wannabe gangsters in da house y'all? The lack of taste in this thread is disturbing.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:03 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilkington View Post
What's with all the wannabe gangsters in da house y'all? The lack of taste in this thread is disturbing.
Hip hop doesn't have to be about gangsterism, it's more about rebellion and overconfidence.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 02:12 AM
MarkGio

I was listening to an online classic rap radio station and I came across a track I've never heard before, but it was unreal. I can't find a video for it or nothing, but if you guys get a chance to hear it, turn it up.

Esham - Dying to be down

Old
11-24-2010, 04:03 AM
Doogee
Cammy!

Doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2010, 10:48 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPassion View Post

Great stuff.

Be sure to check out his Thicker Than Water soundtrack.

Last edited by StreakingRed: 11-24-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old
11-24-2010, 11:05 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
OMG I don't know how I never saw this gem before now...

I'm in shock and don't know what to think

Yeah I've heard that one before. I'm not surprised at anything Snoop Dogg does anymore. Kudos to him for shoutin' out Johnny Cash, though.

Old
11-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Hip hop doesn't have to be about gangsterism, it's more about rebellion and overconfidence.
its not about rebellion or overconfidence either... Hip-Hop is one of the few music genres that has become a culture... sure some of the lyrics are arrogant but thats not what hip-hop is about... hip-hop is about telling a story through your art... whether its through a pen and a pad, a mic or with a spray can

Old
11-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I was listening to an online classic rap radio station and I came across a track I've never heard before, but it was unreal. I can't find a video for it or nothing, but if you guys get a chance to hear it, turn it up.

Esham - Dying to be down
never was a fan of Esham, nor can I fathom anything he's done being played on a 'classic' station... although his 1 song ******** was kinda funny

edit: well apparently that word is bad haha, umm the song title is under the technical name for oral gratification on a male

Old
11-24-2010, 03:30 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
its not about rebellion or overconfidence either... Hip-Hop is one of the few music genres that has become a culture... sure some of the lyrics are arrogant but thats not what hip-hop is about... hip-hop is about telling a story through your art... whether its through a pen and a pad, a mic or with a spray can
Everything I've bolded can be described towards any music genre. I was trying to described the separation of hip hop, not the separation of music (from other art forms). Let's face it, almost every hip hop artist expresses a favourable relationship to gangsterism, rebellion and/or sexual exploitation. Likewise, almost every artist has roots in battling, composed of self glorification and disrespectful attacks towards the opponent. I'm not including all hip hop artists because they're some that deviate from rap foundations, but we would be pretty niave to exclude the contribution of battling and criminal roots. I would even agree that after N.W.A, main stream hip hop artists solely expressed gansterism for a while

Old
11-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Everything I've bolded can be described towards any music genre. I was trying to described the separation of hip hop, not the separation of music (from other art forms). Let's face it, almost every hip hop artist expresses a favourable relationship to gangsterism, rebellion and/or sexual exploitation. Likewise, almost every artist has roots in battling, composed of self glorification and disrespectful attacks towards the opponent. I'm not including all hip hop artists because they're some that deviate from rap foundations, but we would be pretty niave to exclude the contribution of battling and criminal roots. I would even agree that after N.W.A, main stream hip hop artists solely expressed gansterism for a while
west coast rap expressed gangsterism... artists from the south and east have hardly expressed gang ties in comparison... you also have to realize hip-hop isn't just rap... it's also R&B...

this is as much hip-hop...

as this is...

you also have to consider musical influence when you talk about how a genre of music has transformed... in rap their influences pushes the envelope with sexual content... so when they grew up they pushed the envelope with other content as well, it was a natural transformation... if you ask anyone involved in hip-hop culture... acts like Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Parliament, Earth Wind & Fire and the Isley Brothers are the roots of hip-hop... what most coin as Funk and Motown are the forfathers to rap and the entire hip-hop movement

Old
11-24-2010, 06:37 PM
MarkGio

Yeah ok. I should've used the terms rap instead of hip hop. Even though R&B and rap is pretty distinct in content (exlcuding artists like R.Kelly or T-pain). IMO, the transfomation of the musics was not natural, but probably influenced by street mentality because Al green or Marvin Gaye had sexual content, sure, but they never had sexual exploitation content that glorified pimps and abuse.

We could say that all cultures have influence in a given genre of music, such as Latin America or American Country on more modern rap artists (more modern than the Sugerhill Gang and other rap pioneers). Even in Canadian rap, we see French culture and First Nation cultures involved in more modern and underground artists. So there continium in music, but to clearly separate a genre in distinction means we need to generalize a noticable pattern. I generally see rebellion and overconfidence in rap is all, but I listen to a lot of other genres of music as well, so I might not know the whole pattern.

By the way, I found a link to that esham track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwK7djKKWhk

Old
11-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Yeah ok. I should've used the terms rap instead of hip hop. Even though R&B and rap is pretty distinct in content (exlcuding artists like R.Kelly or T-pain). IMO, the transfomation of the musics was not natural, but probably influenced by street mentality because Al green or Marvin Gaye had sexual content, sure, but they never had sexual exploitation content that glorified pimps and abuse.

We could say that all cultures have influence in a given genre of music, such as Latin America or American Country on more modern rap artists (more modern than the Sugerhill Gang and other rap pioneers). Even in Canadian rap, we see French culture and First Nation cultures involved in more modern and underground artists. So there continium in music, but to clearly separate a genre in distinction means we need to generalize a noticable pattern. I generally see rebellion and overconfidence in rap is all, but I listen to a lot of other genres of music as well, so I might not know the whole pattern.

By the way, I found a link to that esham track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwK7djKKWhk
If you think all rap is about gangbanging and pimping you need to expand your horizons

Old
11-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Lunatik*

due to the clear misconceptions about rap music by certain posters I think it's time to show the deeper side of rap music...

Things'll Never Change - E-40

Dear Mama - 2Pac

Keep Ya Head Up - 2Pac

Old
11-24-2010, 07:22 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
due to the clear misconceptions about rap music by certain posters I think it's time to show the deeper side of rap music...
Quote:
If you think all rap is about gangbanging and pimping you need to expand your horizons
I clearly said its about rebellion and overconfidence, so you should learn to listen. There are 10 episodes about "hip hop vs america" for a REASON.

Did you forget to include the other 2pac songs?

2 of Amerikaz most wanted
All about you
Ambitionz of a ridah
Breathin
Bury me a G
Can't C me
Changed man
Crooked ass *****
Death around the corner
Definition of a thug *****
Die
Die slow
(Only songs that start with the letters A-D were chosen --- There's a lot more to choose from)

Anybody can purposely select three songs... but it doesn't statistically represents the population. Next time, take a random sample of thirty rap songs, then holla at me.

Last edited by MarkGio: 11-24-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old
11-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I clearly said its about rebellion and overconfidence, so you should learn to listen. There are 10 episodes about "hip hop vs america" for a REASON.

Did you forget to include the other 2pac songs?

2 of Amerikaz most wanted
All about you
Ambitionz of a ridah
Breathin
Bury me a G
Can't C me
Changed man
Crooked ass *****
Death around the corner
Definition of a thug *****
Die
Die slow
(Only songs that start with the letters A-D were chosen --- There's a lot more to choose from)

Anybody can take purposely select three songs... but it doesn't statistically represents the population. Next time, take a random sample of thirty rap songs, then holla at me.
you also said...

Quote:
Let's face it, almost every hip hop artist expresses a favourable relationship to gangsterism, rebellion and/or sexual exploitation.
you also seem to be completely ignorant to the fact that alot of rap is also social commentary... especially 2pac... their content is about what they see and what they know... and whether you like it or not they see drugs, violence and sexual exploitation... and if you actually listened to 2pac and not just looked through a list of song titles you would know that alot of his work is is abou the hardships in life that he sees everyday and living through the struggles and the pain