HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Palffy Contract Update

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2004, 04:56 AM
Word

vCash: 500
Palffy Contract Update

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...adlines-sports

Ducks Trade No. 2 Goalie Gerber to Hurricanes

Its the bottom half of the article. If the story is accurate its not good news.

Old
06-19-2004, 08:16 AM
KingsFan7824

This is what I mean.

What, is more than $6 mil a year an insult? Really?

Not appreciated? Feel slighted?

Palffy has said he wants to be in LA. It's not like the Kings are taking advantage of that, and telling Palffy they'll pay him $0.35 an hour like some people around the world make. He would get $18 mil over the next 3 years. To play a game. The world is falling apart, and he would get to earn that much money to skate around the ice for a few hours every other day. Hell, the guy made most of his money last year sitting in the press box.

I hope there is a lockout/strike/whatever you want to call it next year. I'm tired of these professional athletes, and the only reason I even care is that I've been a Kings fan for so long that it's just a part of me at this point, although it is becomming harder to do so.

Let him walk. Who cares. More important things to worry about than some athlete that can't accept $6 mil a year to play a game, when the rest of the world is just becoming Wal-Martizied.

Go to Detroit. Go to Colorado. Go back to the Slovakia. Whatever. Go for it.

Old
06-19-2004, 11:15 AM
kingsfan25

I'm still hopeful/confident that something will be worked out. The guy has proven that he is the franchise over these last few years. I cannot believe that the Kings will just let him walk, especially when has made it known that he wants to stay.

Old
06-19-2004, 12:26 PM
Hockey Moose

good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824
This is what I mean.

Palffy has said he wants to be in LA. It's not like the Kings are taking advantage of that, and telling Palffy they'll pay him $0.35 an hour like some people around the world make. He would get $18 mil over the next 3 years. To play a game. The world is falling apart, and he would get to earn that much money to skate around the ice for a few hours every other day. Hell, the guy made most of his money last year sitting in the press box.

I hope there is a lockout/strike/whatever you want to call it next year. I'm tired of these professional athletes, and the only reason I even care is that I've been a Kings fan for so long that it's just a part of me at this point, although it is becomming harder to do so.

Let him walk. Who cares. More important things to worry about than some athlete that can't accept $6 mil a year to play a game, when the rest of the world is just becoming Wal-Martizied.

Old
06-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
This is what I mean.

I couldn't disagree with this opinion any more. The article never states that Palffy felt insulted or slighted from the Kings' offer, just that the two sides are far apart from a deal.

Alfredsson received a five year, $32.5M contract that included a $7.5M signing bonus. I'm sure most of us on this board, if not all of us, think Palffy is a better player than Alfredsson. This HF Poll had 81 people favoring Palffy to 33 people favoring Alfredsson. The onus is much more on the Kings to present a better offer that it is for Palffy to accept a lesser contract offer than a player most would feel is inferior. The attitude to "Let him go. Who cares" or "Go to Detroit. Go to Colorado" can only add to situations like Boucher IMO, where the franchise will regret it later.

Old
06-19-2004, 02:07 PM
OC Kings Fan 24

Old
06-19-2004, 03:03 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
The article never states that Palffy felt insulted or slighted from the Kings' offer, just that the two sides are far apart from a deal
Well, we are talking money here. There has to be a huge difference between 6 and 7 million dollars. I can't grasp that mindset, but I also didn't make $7 million last year(plus something like 7 million the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that), so, can't say exactly how Palffy might feel.

Quote:
Alfredsson received a five year, $32.5M contract that included a $7.5M signing bonus. I'm sure most of us on this board, if not all of us, think Palffy is a better player than Alfredsson
They have signing bonuses in the NHL? They do in the NFL where contracts aren't gauranteed, but I've never heard of one in the NHL. I'm not saying they don't, I've just never heard of that. I'll take your word for it.

So Alfredsson is making a little more than $6 million for 5 years. Palffy may be a better player, but $6 million a year is still pretty good money. Again, it's just me not understanding the mindset. He's made millions upon millions of dollars for the last 5 years in LA. He says he likes it here. It's just a million less per year. I'm guessing he's not going to miss any bill payments.

Primeau took less from the Flyers. That after a year when he could've asked for anything he wanted. They're obviously not the same player. Just an example.

When is enough enough? I know, free market, let the market decide. Why stay somewhere for 6 million, if you coud get at least 7 million somewhere else? You'd be stupid to turn down the money.

If it's a normal job, I can understand. If it's between $40,000, and $60,000 a year, that's a big difference. But we're talking 6 or 7 million. After he's already made millions upon millions for the last few years.

Is the difference between $6 and $7 million oppression or freedom? If Palffy is just in it for the money, then I wish him the best in going for all he can.

I think it's me. I just don't get that.

Quote:
The attitude to "Let him go. Who cares" or "Go to Detroit. Go to Colorado" can only add to situations like Boucher IMO, where the franchise will regret it later.
Well, Boucher is a different story. There's a guy that did nothing in 6 or 7 years with the Kings, yet they kept paying him. I guess they saw something in him. But he just continued to get hurt, or not play up to his capabilities.

He was going to retire at one point because of a foot injury. Then the Kings trade Blake, and bring up Boucher because they really had nothing to lose. He helps them get to the playoffs that year, then plays extremely well the following season, then he leaves as soon as he can that summer.

I believe the Kings gave him a fair offer. Maybe a little less than Dallas offered. I think 1 less year on the contract. You figure loyalty comes into play somewhere. The Kings stuck with him for a long time after getting him from Buffalo all those years ago. But he got out as soon as he could.

But good for Boucher. He went to a team that hasn't done anything the Kings haven't done since he went there. They haven't been beyond the 2nd round in the last 2 years. He got that far with a loser franchise like this one. But he's making more money. That's all that matters I guess.

What's the difference when it's that much money? I guess you could say the same thing about the Kings though. Just give him the extra million and be done with it.

I just can't take much more of the bickering between a million here and a million there in sports. Business has taken the game out of sports.

He's paid to skate around and put a puck in the net every other game or so. Too much to ask for $6 million a year? Go teach a kid. Go put out a fire. Maybe after that, he could play hockey for the platry sum of just a few million dollars.

Old
06-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Well, we are talking money here. There has to be a huge difference between 6 and 7 million dollars. I can't grasp that mindset, but I also didn't make $7 million last year(plus something like 7 million the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that), so, can't say exactly how Palffy might feel.

They have signing bonuses in the NHL? They do in the NFL where contracts aren't gauranteed, but I've never heard of one in the NHL. I'm not saying they don't, I've just never heard of that. I'll take your word for it.

So Alfredsson is making a little more than $6 million for 5 years. Palffy may be a better player, but $6 million a year is still pretty good money. Again, it's just me not understanding the mindset. He's made millions upon millions of dollars for the last 5 years in LA. He says he likes it here. It's just a million less per year. I'm guessing he's not going to miss any bill payments.

Primeau took less from the Flyers. That after a year when he could've asked for anything he wanted. They're obviously not the same player. Just an example.

When is enough enough? I know, free market, let the market decide. Why stay somewhere for 6 million, if you coud get at least 7 million somewhere else? You'd be stupid to turn down the money.

If it's a normal job, I can understand. If it's between $40,000, and $60,000 a year, that's a big difference. But we're talking 6 or 7 million. After he's already made millions upon millions for the last few years.

Is the difference between $6 and $7 million oppression or freedom? If Palffy is just in it for the money, then I wish him the best in going for all he can.

I think it's me. I just don't get that.

Well, Boucher is a different story. There's a guy that did nothing in 6 or 7 years with the Kings, yet they kept paying him. I guess they saw something in him. But he just continued to get hurt, or not play up to his capabilities.

He was going to retire at one point because of a foot injury. Then the Kings trade Blake, and bring up Boucher because they really had nothing to lose. He helps them get to the playoffs that year, then plays extremely well the following season, then he leaves as soon as he can that summer.

I believe the Kings gave him a fair offer. Maybe a little less than Dallas offered. I think 1 less year on the contract. You figure loyalty comes into play somewhere. The Kings stuck with him for a long time after getting him from Buffalo all those years ago. But he got out as soon as he could.

But good for Boucher. He went to a team that hasn't done anything the Kings haven't done since he went there. They haven't been beyond the 2nd round in the last 2 years. He got that far with a loser franchise like this one. But he's making more money. That's all that matters I guess.

What's the difference when it's that much money? I guess you could say the same thing about the Kings though. Just give him the extra million and be done with it.

I just can't take much more of the bickering between a million here and a million there in sports. Business has taken the game out of sports.

He's paid to skate around and put a puck in the net every other game or so. Too much to ask for $6 million a year? Go teach a kid. Go put out a fire. Maybe after that, he could play hockey for the platry sum of just a few million dollars.

Old
06-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Sybil227

I shouldn’t stick my nose into this. I really shouldn’t. I know I shouldn’t. But here goes:

Pretend you’re a world-renowned tiddlywinks player. And you hear that they’re putting together a professional tiddlywinks league. You get drafted and are offered $50K to play in the league. You go for it, right? The season is only about half a year long, and you don’t play every day, so you’re only actually working about ¼ - 1/3 of the year. And you get to make $50K playing a game. Wowee.
Now, at the end of the season, after you made the playoffs, and played to sell-out crowds, you find out the owner made $300 million in profit. $300 million. “Hmmm,” you think, “I’d like a chunk of that $300 million. After all, I’m the one out there playing the game. I’m the one the fans come to see.” So after a player strike and some negotiations, you end up with a contract for $4 million a year. To play tiddlywinks.

Folks, welcome to the world of professional sports.

KingsFan7824 is completely correct in saying that’s an obscene amount of money just to play a game. But I don’t blame the players. It’s not their fault. The disgusting part is that there’s so much money involved in professional sports.

Sam is also completely correct. The players, rightly I feel, think most of that money should go to them. Palffy (or his agent) is negotiating a deal in light of the economics of professional sports.

The true cure is to get rid of the obscene amounts of money that go into professional sports. I don’t know how to do that. I don’t know if anyone does. But I think every single fan, and even non-fan is of the opinion that something should be done. That there’s GOT to be better uses for this money than giving it to a couple guys to go play a game for us.

With that said, (and now back on topic), I hope the Kings do make an offer to Palffy that he’s willing to sign. He is, without a doubt, our most talented and exciting forward. Time will tell. And soon, at that.

Old
06-21-2004, 12:09 AM
sigepcsun

the fans should boycott any league that strikes
It is time for the fans to unionize and demand resonable ticket prices, reasonable concessions and reasonable parking prices. If not boycott!
Why should it cost 15.00 or 20.00 to park a car in a lot that is there already
why should a crappy hot dog cost 5.00 and crappy beer cost 7.50
why should a seat at an arena where your nose doesnt bleed cost 65.00-120.00

I don't think that a player who makes ONLY 6 million a year is getting screwed...the fan who makes 35,000 a year and who blows $600 to take his family of 4 to a game and get decent seats, parking, and food is getting screwed. The salary structure of professional sports is so messed up. I know we are a capitalist society THANK GOD and every one should make what they can and God bless them for it, but realize that we are paying your salaries, the common Joe Schmo teacher, police officer, construction worker, web designer, and so when you go into negotiations think about how you can rationalize asking for 10 mill a year, while most of us Joe Schmos won't see a 1/10 of that during our lifetimes.

Just a rant from a frustrated fan

Old
06-21-2004, 04:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
This is what I mean.

If only it was that simple.

The loss of Palffy could mean the loss of MILLIONS of dollars as opposed to losing 7 or 8 because the Kings don't want to pay him. Some people come to see Palffy. Some people see Palffy have a direct effect on the success of the team. Palffy IS the Kings. The loss of Palffy this past season had a direct effect on the Kings team as a whole. With Palffy the Kings were without a doubt a playoff team, when he was lost they were not and playoff teams can make some pretty pennies by just making the playoffs. For some players 7 million isn't worth it. For Ziggy Palffy it is.

Old
06-25-2004, 07:28 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
I just stopped by here to say SIGN ZIGGY NOW!!!!!!

p.s. They just upped the offer to 8 million per.

Old
06-25-2004, 07:43 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING

If this is true, I can't imagine Ziggy not taking it. That's more than anyone else will be willing to pay him. Though I'd imagine that any increase on management's part would probably be in the interest of having Palffy sign a 2 year w. option contract instead of a 3 year one.

Last edited by kingsfan25: 06-25-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old
06-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
If this is true, I can't imagine Ziggy not taking it. That's more than anyone else will be willing to pay him. Though I'd imagine that any increase on management's part would probably be in the interest of having Palffy sign a 2 year w. option contract instead of a 3 year one.
That, coupled with a trade 2.5 seasons into the contract..........

Old
06-25-2004, 10:02 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING

you have a link?

06-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Some people come to see Palffy. Some people see Palffy have a direct effect on the success of the team. Palffy IS the Kings.

Palffy is no more THE Kings then Blake.

Palffy was our best play no question about that but to say that people came to Staples to see him is a little much. This is hockey we are talking about here not Basketball. Star power just doesn't have that much pull. And frankly Palffy just isn't as much of a star as you are making him out to be. Gretz on the other hand....

Palffy missed the vaste majority of the season (as did our only other "major" star Allision) yet the Kings still pulled in roughly the same attendence as the year before.

Everything really is going to change with the CBA.

Heavily injuried players no matter how skilled just can't expect to make 7 Million a year. Who cares if Alfredsson isn't as good a player then Palffy. Alfredsson did something that Palffy has not done in years. Play a whole SEASON.

Old
06-25-2004, 11:05 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite
Palffy is no more THE Kings then Blake.
That may be, but the Kings got a hell of a return for Blake, and brought in one of the most popular players in recent years in Deadmarsh. If Palffy goes, we get nothing.

Old
06-25-2004, 02:14 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Sorry I had to chime in on this. But 6-7 Million Dollars is a pretty big difference in my mind. What would you rather have? Palffy was really just trying to see how much he could get. I dont think he ever planned to walk out on the Kings, unless he got a crappy offer, like Luc did a few years ago. He does want to stay here, and he will stay here. I gurantee it.

Old
06-26-2004, 01:53 AM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
you have a link?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/news_sto...Name=nhl-kings

My bad. It says three year deal between 16-18 mil.

Old
06-26-2004, 02:10 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
That may be, but the Kings got a hell of a return for Blake, and brought in one of the most popular players in recent years in Deadmarsh. If Palffy goes, we get nothing.
Thats not completly true. If Palffy leaves we get:

A. 7M to spend on someone else.
B. Get under a possible Salary Cap of 35M
C. Open up a Spot for the Kids and have a complete rebuild.

Thats the question is a easy to injure but extremly skilled forward worth more then those three things.

Closed Thread