HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End of October: Bolts placed 1st in East - playoff-bound?

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2010, 04:43 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
End of October: Bolts placed 1st in East - playoff-bound?

Quote:
The October portion of the 2010-11 regular-season schedule concluded Saturday with the Tampa Bay Lightning and Los Angeles Kings atop the Eastern and Western Conference, respectively. The Lightning (7-2-1, .750) placed first in the East in October for the first time, while the Kings (8-3-0, .727) topped the West for the first time since 1990-91.

A first-place perch in the conference through Oct. 31 does not guarantee a ring and a parade next June, although seven of the past 12 Stanley Cup champions did lead their conference at that season milestone. The past 12 Stanley Cup-winning clubs are a combined 94-23-17 (.765) in October of their championship season.

First place in the conference has served as a reliable playoff predictor over the years. Only twice in the past 24 seasons has a team missed the playoffs after leading its conference at the end of October. The Philadelphia Flyers missed the Eastern Conference playoffs in 1993-94 and the Toronto Maple Leafs missed the Campbell Conference playoffs in 1988-89. But with just six points separating the top 12 teams in each conference this season, no club can afford to take its foot off the accelerator.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home

Although I still think a finish between #6-10 is realistic, that's a pretty interesting stat. There's also a list at http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...id=DL|NHL|home with all of October's conference leaders and their final performances.

Edit:
Quote:
"I don't think that many expected us to be there because there are so many new people in place," coach Guy Boucher said. "The only thing I heard all the time was it's going to take time. I ever said it myself. What's happening is that nobody cares who gets the credit. You get success that way. Everybody dy is contributing right now whether it be fourth line, third line, second line, first line, everybody is playing the same way. That's where the success lies right now."
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...-bay-lightning

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 11-02-2010 at 05:10 AM.
Old
11-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Only twice in the past 24 seasons has a team missed the playoffs after leading its conference at the end of October
While this is true I also read that it was ages ago Eastern Conference was so close pointwise, which will affect that stat.

I think what is most important is to remain humble for the task ahead, the players will have to work just as hard or even harder to maintain a play-off spot.

I will for sure not take anything for granted.

11-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Lecavilier_4

Send a message via MSN to Lecavilier_4
Delete this thread now. Only bad things will result. Any subsequent losses for this team will be placed firmly on your shoulders. Can you handle the ridicule and reject? Can you stand up to defend the purpose of this article? Are you prepared to be an outcast. If you answered no to any of these questions I suggest, for your own sake, that you start back-pedaling for time travel.

Old
11-02-2010, 09:05 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I'm not ready to crown us playoff bound... but the start certainly doesn't hurt us.

Old
11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Rschmitz

I'm just shocked that at this point we haven't had to temper expectations any, if anything this team is exceeding expectations.

Old
11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Hockeyfan02

Wooo jinxes. Still a long way to go in the season and that stat doesn't really carry much weight since the East is probably tighter this year than it's ever been. I like this team's attitude though, they don't care about their record they just want to get better.

Old
11-02-2010, 11:19 AM
ultra63

This Week6 Last Week14 Tampa Bay Lightning7-2-1
"The goaltending situation may not need to be a split for much longer, as Dan Ellis (2.37 GAA, .914 SV%) has been outplaying a subpar Mike Smith (3.59 GAA, .868 SV%) by a significant margin.
Key Injuries: LW Simon Gagne (neck).
"http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

"5 (3) Lightning 7-2-1 This team is fun to watch, as underlined by its league-leading goals-per-game average. "
http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

So far so good as long as the players do not "burn out" with Boucher's system and we replace Smitty. A good record gets you in the play offs but the "hot" team at the end of the season is the one that wins it all.

Old
11-02-2010, 11:48 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra63 View Post
This Week6 Last Week14 Tampa Bay Lightning7-2-1
"The goaltending situation may not need to be a split for much longer, as Dan Ellis (2.37 GAA, .914 SV%) has been outplaying a subpar Mike Smith (3.59 GAA, .868 SV%) by a significant margin.
Key Injuries: LW Simon Gagne (neck).
"http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

"5 (3) Lightning 7-2-1 This team is fun to watch, as underlined by its league-leading goals-per-game average. "
http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

So far so good as long as the players do not "burn out" with Boucher's system and we replace Smitty. A good record gets you in the play offs but the "hot" team at the end of the season is the one that wins it all.
I like how the ESPN one we move down two spots when we win 2 games in the week.

Old
11-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
I like how the ESPN one we move down two spots when we win 2 games in the week.
All of the teams in their top 5 have been playing well so they can really go in any order. They're not as bad as Cullen's rankings on TSN.

Old
11-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
All of the teams in their top 5 have been playing well so they can really go in any order. They're not as bad as Cullen's rankings on TSN.
Anything is better than ****ing Cullen's "writing".

Old
11-02-2010, 04:56 PM
CSampson

Jinxes are garbage. We're goin to the ****ing show baby.

Old
11-02-2010, 04:56 PM
CSampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Scott Cullen is one of the worst. Atrocious.

Old
11-02-2010, 05:15 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

i said it before the start of the season that you guys would make it into the playoffs

i would personally love it, i really like your team and the things yzerman is doing with it. It's tough to say how the standings will shake out, i predicted the bolts to be 7th or 8th in the east at the end, but who knows, no one knew the devils and sabres would do so poorly either

Anyways, good luck and enjoy the season!

-Bruins fan

Old
11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Tampa22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Scott Cullen is one of the worst. Atrocious.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:02 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudFan98 View Post
i said it before the start of the season that you guys would make it into the playoffs

i would personally love it, i really like your team and the things yzerman is doing with it. It's tough to say how the standings will shake out, i predicted the bolts to be 7th or 8th in the east at the end, but who knows, no one knew the devils and sabres would do so poorly either

Anyways, good luck and enjoy the season!

-Bruins fan
I would be beyond happy with a 7 or 8 seeding. Just want a taste of the playoffs again.

Old
11-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Kristia
Old folks home..

vCash: 8237
Awards:
It's great seeing Tampa Bay in the number one slot...But I just can't help feeling like the other shoe is going to drop..

Old
11-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Xenophobia Catalyst
Legendary

vCash: 3073
Considering we are doing this well with sub-par goaltending thus far. If Ellis steps up or if for some reason SFY does make a deal for a bonafied #1 type guy, this team will be strike fear into the hearts of our enemies.

Closed Thread