HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Niedermayer rejects off

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2004, 01:33 PM
hockey_nut

vCash: 500
Niedermayer rejects off

got it from: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/nj42.html

Citing a source, the North Jersey Bergen Record reports the 30-year-old defenseman turned down a contract offer that would put him with Martin Brodeur and Scott Stevens at the top of the Devils' salary list at close to $7 million per season.

is he nuts?

Old
06-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut

Citing a source, the North Jersey Bergen Record reports the 30-year-old defenseman turned down a contract offer that would put him with Martin Brodeur and Scott Stevens at the top of the Devils' salary list at close to $7 million per season.

is he nuts?
Either a) he doesn't want the Devils to pay too much with the upsoming CBA, b)He wants more money, or c) He wants to be on another team.

Old
06-10-2004, 01:39 PM
RoyIsALegend*

No, he's not nuts.

Scott Niedermayer has accomplished everything a hockey player could dream of. He's won every championship possible, and has played at every high level of hockey(NHL, Olympics, World Cup, World Championships, World Junior Championships). He may just be looking for a change and perhaps a bigger responsibility elsewhere, or even a place that would loosen Scotty's offensive reigns and let him use his god-given talent.

It's not a money issue for Niedermayer. He's made it very clear in his quotes that he wants to do what's best for his family and himself. The money is not a factor.

Old
06-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

is he nuts?
If he turned down that offer in these uncertain economic times then he is, indeed, nuts.

BTW, is the Fourthperiod.com one of the most unreliable sources on the net?

Old
06-10-2004, 01:40 PM
hockey_nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
No, he's not nuts.

Scott Niedermayer has accomplished everything a hockey player could dream of. He's won every championship possible, and has played at every high level of hockey(NHL, Olympics, World Cup, World Championships, World Junior Championships). He may just be looking for a change and perhaps a bigger responsibility elsewhere, or even a place that would loosen Scotty's offensive reigns and let him use his god-given talent.

It's not a money issue for Niedermayer. He's made it very clear in his quotes that he wants to do what's best for his family and himself. The money is not a factor.

hmm... if that's the case... could we see a move near draft day?

Old
06-10-2004, 01:47 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
No, he's not nuts.

Just so you know...Niedermayer has the green light from the Devs to do WHATEVER he wants offensively.

Old
06-10-2004, 01:51 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
hmm... if that's the case... could we see a move near draft day?

NO CHANCE. ZERO. NONE. If Nieds moves on it will be after next year when he turns 31

Old
06-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
If he turned down that offer in these uncertain economic times then he is, indeed, nuts.

BTW, is the Fourthperiod.com one of the most unreliable sources on the net?
The original report is from the Bergen Record: (registration needed)

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php...Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

An excerpt from the article:

Niedermayer rejects Devils' offer

Scott Niedermayer may finally get his due tonight at the NHL Awards Ceremony in Toronto.

Devils' teammate Martin Brodeur - a finalist for the Vezina and Hart - considers it a "shoo-in" that Niedermayer will win his first Norris Trophy as the league's best defenseman. Unfortunately for the Devils, getting Niedermayer locked up in a long-term contract appears to be far from a foregone conclusion.

According to an NHL source, Niedermayer, who is due to become a restricted free agent on July 1, turned down a contract offer that would put the 30-year-old defenseman with Brodeur and Scott Stevens at the top of the Devils' salary list at close to $7 million per season. Like Brodeur's and Stevens' deals, the offer included deferred money, according to the source.

"We've talked," Niedermayer said Wednesday. "He [Devils' general manager Lou Lamoriello] wants to sign me. He wants to have me around. I haven't really sat down with my family and thought about what I'm going to do. We're going to do that in the next little bit here."

Niedermayer wouldn't comment on whether Lamoriello made an offer.

"Lou wants me to be part of the team," he said. "That's all I'm going to say."

Niedermayer, who is eligible to file for arbitration, earned $4 million this past season and will earn a $500,000 bonus if he wins the Norris. St. Louis' Chris Pronger and Ottawa's Zdeno Chara are the other finalists.

Niedermayer carried the load defensively for the Devils while Stevens missed more than half the season because of post-concussion syndrome, helping the team set an NHL record for fewest goals allowed (164). He tied for second in the NHL in points among defensemen with 54 and led the team in ice time at 25:53 per game.

"It would be a steal if he doesn't win it," Brodeur said.

Niedermayer isn't getting his hopes up.

"Of course, you think about [winning] it," he said. "I don't really expect it, though."

Last edited by Drake1588: 06-10-2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old
06-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Traitor8

Niedermayer not back and Stevens not back = trouble for devils!

Old
06-10-2004, 02:04 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Niedermayer not back and Stevens not back = trouble for devils!
I think that's a given. Just look at the trouble they had adjusting to no Stevens.

Old
06-10-2004, 02:09 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Just so you know...Niedermayer has the green light from the Devs to do WHATEVER he wants offensively.
Riiight. Just to put things in perspective, Dan Boyle of the Lightning can do WHATEVER he wants offensively. He would be the equivalent to having a green light. Niedermayer has earned more freedom to roam over the years, but it has taken a lot of time for that to happen.

But Niedermayer doesn't have the same freedom as Boyle. Not a chance.

Old
06-10-2004, 02:10 PM
I in the Eye

Does anyone know where Scott's wife is from?

As a family man myself, I realize that chances are his wife has just as much (if not more) say into what Scott is planning as he does...

If he turned down that kind of money (or perhaps a long term contract is what he rejected), maybe he wants to be closer to his (or his wife's) family (when he becomes a free agent)? Pure speculation...

Old
06-10-2004, 02:12 PM
senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Either a) he doesn't want the Devils to pay too much with the upsoming CBA, b)He wants more money, or c) He wants to be on another team.
d) he wants a longer contract

Old
06-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by senate
d) he wants a longer contract
e) or a shorter one

Old
06-10-2004, 02:16 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Vlady27
Riiight. Just to put things in perspective, Dan Boyle of the Lightning can do WHATEVER he wants offensively. He would be the equivalent to having a green light. Niedermayer has earned more freedom to roam over the years, but it has taken a lot of time for that to happen.

But Niedermayer doesn't have the same freedom as Boyle. Not a chance.
Niedermayer has free will to do whatever he wants on the ice.

Has he always had that? No, but he does now.

Watch a Devils game, especially if the Devils are trailing, and you'll see Niedermayer on the ice every other shift acting like a 4th forward. He is always in deep in the offensive zone.

Smoothest skater in the NHL since Paul Coffey.

Old
06-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Hey, what was that bit about deferred money in the contract of Martin Brodeur and Scott Stevens? Could anyone explain it for me? Thanks.

Old
06-10-2004, 02:23 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Hey, what was that bit about deferred money in the contract of Martin Brodeur and Scott Stevens? Could anyone explain it for me? Thanks.
Some players have defferd money in their contracts.

Not sure exactly hjow much they're having deffered, but it would work something like this.

Martin Brodeur's contract calls for him to make $7 million this season.

He gets $5 million paid to him, while deferring payments of $2 million.

That $2 million + interest, would be paid to him in equal payments from 2010-20 (or whatever parameters they set up, years etc.)

Old
06-10-2004, 02:29 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
My bet is Nieds signs a 1 year deal and leaves as a UFA next year.. hopefully to Vancouver

Old
06-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Hm. Well, I think that's more because it's so early into the free agent season than anything else. If Niedermayer turns down an offer worth that much it's probably because A. he wants to go back to Vancouver or B. he wanted a longer contract. I think Lamoriello will probably be willing to increase the offer to keep Niedermayer - he IS willing to shell out the cash, and he will if he needs to. He knows that Niedermayer is the most important player to NJ, over Brodeur.

If Nieds turns down a 7.5 or 8M offer though, which would be Lou's next one... then I could see him moved or let go. It will be intersting to watch and see what happens.

I can see him leaving, but I don't know if anyone else will pay him what Lou will to keep him.

Old
06-10-2004, 02:40 PM
kingbrath

come to L.A!!!!!!!

Old
06-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brath
come to L.A!!!!!!!
If Niedermayer leaves NJ, it's becaue he wants to return home. Meaning Vancouver. Anaheim might enter into the picture (Rob), but I doubt it.

Old
06-10-2004, 02:46 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
If Niedermayer turns down an offer worth that much it's probably because A. he wants to go back to Vancouver or B. he wanted a longer contract.
A or B depending on if his wife is from Vancouver or New Jersey

Old
06-10-2004, 02:49 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Mind at a Time
A or B depending on if his wife is from Vancouver or New Jersey
Actually, that's true. I'm going to go find out where his wife is from. If she's a Jersey girl, then I really can't see him leaving.

Edit: Well, regardless, they do have and live in a house on Kootenay Lake in BC.

I'm getting really nervous about this whole thing.

Last edited by Classic Devil: 06-10-2004 at 02:54 PM.
Old
06-10-2004, 02:50 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
I think we can eliminate choice a right off the bat.

Old
06-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Verbal Kint*

Just allow a little Toronto fan to dream for a moment.

OK, the dream's over.

Closed Thread