HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy criticizes Guy Boucher

Old
11-03-2010, 02:51 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

vCash: 500
Patrick Roy criticizes Guy Boucher

Roy

http://www.rds.ca/lhjmq/chroniques/309177.html

Google Translate

Patrick Roy has never been afraid of his opinions and he became one of the first hockey leaders to openly criticize the work of Guy Boucher of Quebec to the media.

The head honcho of the Quebec Remparts launched an arrow at the site of the former pilot of the Drummondville Voltigeurs.

"Guy has not moved forward with the QMJHL's defensive system. Beaucoup d'équipes l'ont copié», peut-on lire dans le Journal de Québec , en faisant surtout allusion à la saison 2008-09 lorsque les Voltigeurs ont remporté la coupe du Président. Many teams have copied, "it said in the Journal de Quebec, by alluding to the 2008-09 season when the Voltigeurs won the President Cup.

"We put Guy Boucher in high esteem from the way it works, but to send four players in the corner of territory, this has perhaps delayed the development of some young and may need a show less exciting for the hockey fan. Nous, les Remparts, c'est certain qu'on n'embarquera pas dans ce système-là. We, the Remparts, sure we do not adhere to that system. On va jouer le hockey comme il se doit d'être joué», peut-on par ailleurs lire dans Le Soleil . We're gonna play hockey as it should be played, can we also read in The Sun.

These statements are quite surprising since the Voltigeurs had dominated the QMJHL with 345 goals this season.

Dominic Ricard, Director General of the Voltigeurs, prefers not to give interviews about it, but he still made this comment to RDS.

«J'ai d'autres choses à faire dans la vie que de commenter des propos gratuits et sans fondements de Patrick Roy», at-il déclaré. "I have other things to do in life than commenting about the foundations of free and without Patrick Roy," he said.

Au quotidien Le Soleil , Ricard avait auparavant affirmé que Boucher demandait énormément au niveau défensif quand son équipe n'était pas en possession de la rondelle. Le Soleil, Ricard said that Boucher had earlier asked a lot at defensive when his team was not in possession of the puck. Il précise toutefois qu'il développait extrêmement aussi le côté offensif. He stated however that he also developed extremely offensive side.

Roy, à titre de propriétaire, directeur général et entraîneur des Remparts de Québec, s'en prend avant tout au jeu défensif qui prend trop de place dans la LHJMQ à son avis. Roy, as owner, general manager and coach of the Quebec Remparts, attacks primarily at defensive play that takes too much space in the QMJHL in his opinion.

«Je veux être bien compris. "I want to be understood. Je ne dénigre pas le travail de Guy. I do not denigrate the work of Guy. Il a été innovateur. It was innovative. Je le félicite pour sa vision, ses qualités de psychologue. I commend him for his vision, his qualities as a psychologist. Je ne prétends pas qu'il n'est pas un coach brillant. I do not pretend it is not a brilliant coach. Mais sa philosophie défensive a fait reculer notre ligue», a expliqué Roy. But his defensive philosophy has set back our league, "said Roy.

L'ancien gardien de la LNH est conscient qu'il s'attirera des critiques en s'attaquant au nouvel entraîneur du Lightning de Tampa Bay, mais il tenait à faire cette sortie pour faire réfléchir les dirigeants. The former NHL goalie is aware that it will draw criticism by attacking the new coach of Tampa Bay, but he wanted to make this release to reflect on the leaders.

Yannick Riendeau avait été le meilleur pointeur des Voltigeurs en 2008-09 avec 58 buts et 68 passes (126 points) devant Dany Massé (44 buts et 66 passes pour 110 points) et ces deux joueurs ont toujours vanté Boucher pour les avoir fait progresser offensivement. Yannick Riendeau was the leading scorer in 2008-09 with the Voltigeurs 58 goals and 68 assists (126 points) before Dany Massé (44 goals and 66 assists for 110 points) and these two players have always praised Boucher for making progress offensively .

Last edited by McSorleyStick: 11-03-2010 at 03:12 PM.
McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Madevilz

Strong defensive systme with 345 goals lol

Roy fails

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:55 PM
knuck
On and off fan

Roy is an idiot and an *******

who cares what he thinks

PS: I hate censorship

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:09 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post

Roy fails

one doesnt prevent the other. see NJ Devils of the late 90' or the Sens under JM...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:13 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Damn something is wrong the copy/paste on Google Translate

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Forsead

The funniest part is IMO, what is lacking in the Q to produce more and better nhl players would be better and more defensive system and more physical plays. That's why WHL is the best league in forming alot of player in the NHL.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Roy fails
Roy never said he Bouche solely has a defensive style. By defensive system, i believe Roy meant defensive game as in how they play when they defend.

Also, it's not because a team scores a lot that they aren't defensive which is why I was surprised when Stephane Leroux brought up the exact same stat you did.
The Bruins were 2nd in the NHL with 276Goals two years ago. They were in a defensive system.
Ottawa under Martin lead the league in goals (or were 2nd). Defensive system again.

Leroux also brought up the fact Boucher's Bulldogs were 3rd in the AHL for scoring. Well, they also happen to be 1st in goals against.

Goals For are not an indication of what type of system you play. Nowadays, it's rather rare that a team doesn't play both side of the ice. I think the only team to do that was the Capitals and it backfired in their face last year pretty badly.

Personally, I haven't seen Boucher coach enough to really know what is whole game style is like. But I do know that saying you have the most goals doesn't mean you're just an offensive team.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

That's one of the dumbest things I ever heard...Drummondville had one of the most high powered offenses in the last 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
The funniest part is IMO, what is lacking in the Q to produce more and better nhl players would be better and more defensive system and more physical plays. That's why WHL is the best league in forming alot of player in the NHL.
The WHL is definitely not better than the OHL go check the top NHL scorers and NHL All-star teams. WHL is producing a ton of goalies but nowhere near the forwards and d-men taht the OHL is.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Carey Chant

Quote:

Roy fails
Roy doesn't have time to fail, he's too busy polishing his stanley cup rings and his Conn Smythe awards.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
That's one of the dumbest things I ever heard...Drummondville had one of the most high powered offenses in the last 10 years.

The WHL is definitely not better than the OHL go check the top NHL scorers and NHL All-star teams. WHL is producing a ton of goalies but nowhere near the forwards and d-men taht the OHL is.
Look at the draft, I'm not saying that they are developping more Superstars, but they are developping more NHLers for a population about equal than the Q, while Ontario league as a bigger population so more chance to get top end talent. Also just wait a few years and the WHL will have as many top end talent than the Q and alot more of good nhl players after playing many roles. They are winning the majority of the Memorial cup tournament that oppose best teams of each league.

Also I don't know what you are talking about with your defensemans statementfrom the top 30 of dmens by pts in 2009-2010

WHL :

Mike Green
Duncan Keith
Tyler Myers
Scott Niedermayer
Shea Weber
Bryan McCabe
Ian White
Zdeno Chara
Alexander Edler

OHL:

Drew Doughty
Chris Pronger
Kurtis Foster
Brian Campbell

LHJMQ
Keith Yandle
Stephane Robidas

Yeah WHL is bad at developping dmens....

Last edited by Forsead: 11-03-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old
11-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Look at the draft, I'm not saying that they are developping more Superstars, but they are developping more NHLers for a population about equal than the Q, while Ontario league as a bigger population so more chance to get top end talent. Also just wait a few years and the WHL will have as many top end talent than the Q and alot more of good nhl players after playing many roles. They are winning the majority of the Memorial cup tournament that oppose best teams of each league.

Also I don't know what you are talking about with your defensemans statementfrom the top 30 of dmens by pts in 2009-2010

WHL :

Mike Green
Duncan Keith
Tyler Myers
Scott Niedermayer
Shea Weber
Bryan McCabe
Ian White
Zdeno Chara
Alexander Edler

OHL:

Drew Doughty
Chris Pronger
Kurtis Foster
Brian Campbell

LHJMQ
Keith Yandle
Stephane Robidas

Yeah WHL is bad at developping dmens....
omg, the battles between each CHL league. If the only 2 d-men you can come up with from the QMJHL are Yandle and Robidas then I think shows you're not doing your homework.

and like it's been said, goals for aren't any indication of the way a team plays. Boucher will play the 1-2-2 a lot and that's basically the infamous trap, except Boucher plays it with a little twist but anyways.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:19 PM
habsfan92

Roy may actually be right. I think that the writer of the column, as well as many readers just don't understand what he is trying to say. Boucher's system worked so well for Boucher's teams that in subsequent years other teams tried to mimic that style. In Roy's opinion, too many, thus creating a league where many teams playing the same style defensively therefore stilfing offensive hockey. Totally makes sense.
Playing trap hockey was great for a team-even offensively- as long as all the other teams (or most of the other teams) aren't also playing the trap. Once a majority of the team play trap hockey, lower scoring-hence a big change in NHL rules to open it up again.
Roy is getting too much criticism for his opinion-and he seemed very respectful of Boucher's style and Boucher, but I am sure other coaches in the Q feel the same way, but they are not Patrick Roy so their opinion doesn't show up on TSN.

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
omg, the battles between each CHL league. If the only 2 d-men you can come up with from the QMJHL are Yandle and Robidas then I think shows you're not doing your homework.

and like it's been said, goals for aren't any indication of the way a team plays. Boucher will play the 1-2-2 a lot and that's basically the infamous trap, except Boucher plays it with a little twist but anyways.
He was only listening the top 30 scoring dmen, who are also more or less considered the top dmen in the game.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post

I said that I was taking the top 30 dmens in pts last season and show from which CHL league they were to answer a statement that the WHL was not developping many good dmens. I know that others dmens that I did not include are better like Vlasic as an exemple, but I limited myself to the top 30.

My statement is the Q need more defensives systems and more physicality to improve the players and produce more NHL players, because they have a serious problem with this in comparison to the two others leagues.

Old
11-03-2010, 04:32 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Jealous Boucher beat him to the NHL? I think so.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Roy fails
Last year Hamilton was the top team in the AHL in goals against at 182 and 3rd in goals for at 271, although having the best goalie duo in the league helped.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Roy never said he Bouche solely has a defensive style. By defensive system, i believe Roy meant defensive game as in how they play when they defend.

Goals For are not an indication of what type of system you play. Nowadays, it's rather rare that a team doesn't play both side of the ice. I think the only team to do that was the Capitals and it backfired in their face last year pretty badly.

Personally, I haven't seen Boucher coach enough to really know what is whole game style is like. But I do know that saying you have the most goals doesn't mean you're just an offensive team.
Not that I disagree with your comment generally, but what is a team supposed to do when they don't have the puck and/or are in the neutral/defensive zone? Are they supposed to try and play offensively only? Might as well play 6 against 5 all the time with no goalie. Roy just like the spotlight, but the comments are not exactly brilliant.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:00 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Well Roy was offered the job in Colorado a couple years ago. He declined it.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:16 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
right on.

disapointing... you'd hope roy was smart ... for the sake of ppl worshiping him ... from eating fries before games, to beating his wife, to his american soap departure, to promoting his bipolar kid, to the remarks on price (not that they were wrong, but you just don't comment on someone's career when you have the icon status he has) , guy boucher... and now this "" I dont deny he is a brilliant coach '' ...you just did ******. couldn't believe it. attention freak.

funny how offensive minded players seem to do so well under boucher though, not that their players are actually racking up points as we speak.

the longer roy lives, the more pathetic his legacy will be.

a dumb talented kid. - the patrick roy biography.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 11-03-2010 at 05:23 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
right on.

disapointing... you'd hope roy was smart ... for the sake of ppl worshiping him ... from eating fries before games, to beating his wife, to promote his bipolar kid to the remarks on price (not that they were wrong, but you just don't comment on someone's career when you have the icon status he has) , guy boucher... and now this "" I dont deny he is a brilliant coach '' ...you just did ******. couldn't believe it. attention freak.

funny how offensive minded players seem to do so well under boucher though.

the longer roy lives, the more pathetic his legacy will be.

a dumb talented kid. - the patrick roy biography.
wow thats a lot of hate there.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
I said that I was taking the top 30 dmens in pts last season and show from which CHL league they were to answer a statement that the WHL was not developping many good dmens. I know that others dmens that I did not include are better like Vlasic as an exemple, but I limited myself to the top 30.

My statement is the Q need more defensives systems and more physicality to improve the players and produce more NHL players, because they have a serious problem with this in comparison to the two others leagues.
ok sorry, my bad

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:46 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

He's kind of right. Boucher's system is ok when you have a good offense. Other teams in the Q try to play the same system 1-3-1, but in the end, it's just the trap because they don't have the firepower Boucher had on offense with Drummondville.

Roy's point is that several teams in the league trying to do the same thing has not helped the league and he's right. Too much of them just try to defend instead of attacking and the result is really boring for a hockey fan.

He doesn't really criticize Boucher. I think it is more about other coaches trying to do the same thing thinking it's the way to success

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfboards2010 View Post
Not that I disagree with your comment generally, but what is a team supposed to do when they don't have the puck and/or are in the neutral/defensive zone? Are they supposed to try and play offensively only? Might as well play 6 against 5 all the time with no goalie. Roy just like the spotlight, but the comments are not exactly brilliant.
I don't think I'm very well placed to talk about this. I'm not one to talk out of my butt.
I don't watch nearly enough Q or Boucher games to know what Roy is referring too. I actually haven't watched one Q game yet this year.

Roy loves the spotlight, but he guy knows about hockey. He won't say something that is completely wrong, he never did. There must be some reasoning behind his comments with a lot of misinterpretation by the Media as it often happens, and to honest, I'd be surprised if what he said is false.

I do see that Boucher's system without the puck is similar to the trap. Maybe that's what Roy was talking about. He clearly states that this isn't a diss towards Boucher nor is he saying his system is bad/he's a bad coach. He even praises him as an innovator. He doesn't say Boucher was boring in the Q either.
He's saying Boucher's system made the Q take a step backwards in terms of entertainment and offense.
That must mean other teams that are trying to follow in Boucher's footsteps are making the league boring.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:53 PM
guapo23

Quote:
I was just coming to this thread to post this !
Great minds think alike !

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:00 PM
tiredman

Quote:
hm... Roy turned down an offer from the Avs to stay with the Remparts. Coach and GM at the same time. That was the offer.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote