HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sens Beat Leafs 3-2 (or 4-1 if refs wern't biased). Continue your gloating here.

Old
11-03-2010, 11:17 AM
Hotshot320

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
And that seems to be problematic on a consistent basis....regardless of the game's outcome.
Agreed.. Consistency of calls is a huge issue in the NHL, but it has been and will be for a while.

Do you guys remember when the refs would put their whistles away for the last period of a close game. They let the players play but a penalty in the first was not a penalty in the 3rd. Now that allowed the players to determine the game a little more, but was far less consistent than it is today.

It such a fast paced game and having people make calls there will always be errors, but hopefully the consitency of calls is improved. ie. What is a blindside hit and what constitutes goalie interference...

Hotshot320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:21 PM
JimmyPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
What were you watching? I count maybe +1 depending on what you consider.

Oh snap....one ref in how many years....An he was caught an removed......your point?

You saying Bill McCreary is being paid by the mafia to fix Leaf-Sens games? Gimme a break.....there is the odd case of a ref or a judge taking a payoff......but if you think McCreary has done it for this long, dirty ....then you really have no clue.

Once again NHL referees are evaluated every single night.... especially now during a changeover period where many of the household names are retiring and a new crop is moving in. If any of these refs seemingly favor a particular team, you can be sure he wont have a job in the NHL.

Typical Sens fan. Always believe theres a conspiracy. I bet the head of officiating is being paid off too....or maybe he's just a Leaf fan right?
You're kidding, right? Your fan base has made a 17 year industry out of crying about 1993. Kerry Fraser is doing the rounds in Toronto and 17 years later, the hot topic question is about the Gretzky non-call, what a travesty of justice. I suggest you go back to your board and let us voice our opinions on our board.

JimmyPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:24 PM
JimmyPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooverick View Post
QFT.

I was so pissed off when I heard that POS was coming back for another year. He screws the Sens every chance he gets.
Yeah, me too, Just retire and go work as Tie Domi's agent, trying to ignite his floudering broadcasst career.

I also get a kick at how Leaf fans love McCreary.

Old
11-03-2010, 12:24 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
This is false.
Honestly, I think it's partially true. The team's been doing it for a few years now, it's a horrible habit. Clouston has some responsibility to get the players to pressure the puck and play in the opponent's end, but there's a lack of discipline and aggressiveness on the part of the players.

Also, the called off goal was one in a million. It's unfortunate but there's no point in complaining... he's only human.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Bileur

Quote:
What were you watching? I count maybe +1 depending on what you consider.
Maybe I was exaggerating a little.

Colton Orr interference goal.
Goal waived off last night.

Quote:
Oh snap....one ref in how many years....An he was caught an removed......your point?
My point is that it's clear refs can be biased/influenced. It's not impossible as you seem to imply.

Quote:
You saying Bill McCreary is being paid by the mafia to fix Leaf-Sens games? Gimme a break.....there is the odd case of a ref or a judge taking a payoff......but if you think McCreary has done it for this long, dirty ....then you really have no clue.
I did not say that did I?

Quote:
Once again NHL referees are evaluated every single night.... especially now during a changeover period where many of the household names are retiring and a new crop is moving in. If any of these refs seemingly favor a particular team, you can be sure he wont have a job in the NHL.
What happens if they get a negative review? How "transparent" is the evaluation process. When has the ever been an admission a mistake was made?

NFL officiating is and example that officiating can be MUCH MUCH more transparent. Mistakes will still be made, but the director of officiating will answer questions/explain calls/admit mistakes.

Quote:
Typical Sens fan. Always believe theres a conspiracy. I bet the head of officiating is being paid off too....or maybe he's just a Leaf fan right?
I never said that either. Reading is an asset on message boards.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
JimmyPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
Reading is an asset on message boards.
Yeah, but he is a leaf fan so he is used to assets being given away freely

Old
11-03-2010, 01:22 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Honestly, I think it's partially true. The team's been doing it for a few years now, it's a horrible habit. Clouston has some responsibility to get the players to pressure the puck and play in the opponent's end, but there's a lack of discipline and aggressiveness on the part of the players.

Also, the called off goal was one in a million. It's unfortunate but there's no point in complaining... he's only human.
Of course the players bare some blame but anyone who thinks its not a coaching problem isn't paying attention. This has happened on numerous occasions (including game 6) where the team changes their system to sit on a lead. They pull back their one man forechecker and don't start to pressure the puck until its in the neutral zone, giving the opposition all the time needed to break out. Its a very badly executed version of the trap.

How is it that 20 players seem to be doing the same thing? You really want to tell me its not a change in strategy and that its just that every single player has decided to sit back and not forecheck? That's bullocks. Clouston needs to learn his bloody lesson and keep the pressure on.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Of course the players bare some blame but anyone who thinks its not a coaching problem isn't paying attention. This has happened on numerous occasions (including game 6) where the team changes their system to sit on a lead. They pull back their one man forechecker and don't start to pressure the puck until its in the neutral zone, giving the opposition all the time needed to break out. Its a very badly executed version of the trap.

How is it that 20 players seem to be doing the same thing? You really want to tell me its not a change in strategy and that its just that every single player has decided to sit back and not forecheck? That's bullocks. Clouston needs to learn his bloody lesson and keep the pressure on.
Sitting back may work if the defencemen are big and physical, because as a result of being passive the puck spends more time in your defensive zone. Murray stated on several occasions, with his signing of Gonchar and having Karlsson and Campoli, he hoped the puck would be in the other team's end more of the time, offsetting the lack of a big physical defenseman.

So for a coach not to play to the team's strengths is somewhat puzzling, if not self defeating.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:14 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Sitting back may work if the defencemen are big and physical, because as a result of being passive the puck spends more time in your defensive zone. Murray stated on several occasions, with his signing of Gonchar and having Karlsson and Campoli, he hoped the puck would be in the other team's end more of the time, offsetting the lack of a big physical defenseman.

So for a coach not to play to the team's strengths is somewhat puzzling, if not self defeating.
I 100% agree. I've been saying for a while that Clouston isn't playing to this team's strengths and is trying to overcompensate for its deficiencies. Its very frustrating to watch, especially knowing the system he employed only a year ago.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 02:58 PM
MatthewT

Murray said we would be a puck possession team, clearly we have not seen that yet. So either thats not the players style and Murray was wrong or Clouston is trying to install a different system. Which one is it?

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:02 PM
kyle747

Quote:

CC is the worst coach I've ever seen at the NHL level in terms of managing his bench. The 2-many-men penalties are a symptom of that, as is the lay-back-and-sleep strategy.

He seems to be quite good at other areas, but I can't recall anyone struggling like he does controlling the bench.

Can anyone think of another coach that had a similar problem?

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Derivation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Murray said we would be a puck possession team, clearly we have not seen that yet. So either thats not the players style and Murray was wrong or Clouston is trying to install a different system. Which one is it?
I'd say a mixture of both. Unfortunately the D have the ability to be a puck possession team but keep making the dumbest mistakes. Once Kuba returns, we have 4, maybe 5 when Campoli plays good d-men who are good puck carriers/handlers, so other than Carkner we should finally be able to really play a more soccer based game with puck possession until we see an opening and take it.

Derivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Brandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
Everytime Karlsson has the puck in the offensive zone I expect him to do something sweet with it. Just love watching this kid.
Completely agree.

He has some growth to do , but that's part of watching a new player evolve. He's very smart, and does have confidence. I'm excited to see him play as a Sen for a long time.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

The way Clouston sounded in the post-game he didn't sound pleased how the team sat back, or at the very least, allowed the Leafs back in the game by trying to defend the lead.

I don't think he's telling them to play defensive, it's probably more of mentality issue: the team is scared of blowing the lead and everyone (the coach included) starts playing too cautiously.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 06:14 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:

Yeah, I did agree with you in my post. Clouston needs to get them to forecheck more aggressively instead of playing passive defence. I just added that other coaches have contributed to that habit and the players have bought into it.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Gonchar gets switched to the right point and what do you know, the PP becomes a force to be reckoned with...better late than never I guess
Weird. Common sense by CC. He must have a fever or something.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:13 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
The way Clouston sounded in the post-game he didn't sound pleased how the team sat back, or at the very least, allowed the Leafs back in the game by trying to defend the lead.

I don't think he's telling them to play defensive, it's probably more of mentality issue: the team is scared of blowing the lead and everyone (the coach included) starts playing too cautiously.
It's been an issue way before Clouston got the job. Everytime the Sens get a significant lead, they just lay back and try not to lose it.

11-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Brycios

I just watched the NHL.com highlights. The Sens highlights included the three goals, the Kovalev goof up, and a nothing shot by Alfredsson. The rest of the highlights was all the Leafs. You'd think they totally outplayed the Sens and were robbed of a victory.

Brycios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycios View Post
I just watched the NHL.com highlights. The Sens highlights included the three goals, the Kovalev goof up, and a nothing shot by Alfredsson. The rest of the highlights was all the Leafs. You'd think they totally outplayed the Sens and were robbed of a victory.
It's funny, here on the east coast we generally get two Sens games per week on Sportsnet so the coverage is pretty good. But after this one, Sportsnet must've talked about the leafs for 10 or 15 minutes straight after the loss, barely a mention of the Sens lol.

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:59 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
This is false.
Maybe you need to take a trip to the website and watch some of Clouston's pre and post game talks. Its not false at all, in fact I'm absolutely correct.

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...d=769&id=81275

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 03:25 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycios View Post
Five on five they completely outplayed us, PP's were the difference.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:37 AM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
Five on five they completely outplayed us
BS. Absolutely false. Go watch the game again and tell us how many even-strength scoring chances the Leafs had through two periods.

Last edited by Lexicon Devil: 11-04-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
BS. Absolutely false. Go watch the game again and tell us how many even-strength scoring chances the Leafs had through two periods.
The game is three periods long. Leafs had plenty of chances in the game, easily could of been tied after two. We carried the play in the first, second they out-chanced us 5 on 5, and the third was all Leafs. Elliott was fantastic, probably one of the best games i've ever seen him play, Beauchimin goal notwithstanding.

Last edited by Wham City: 11-04-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old
11-04-2010, 05:44 AM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
The game is three periods long. Leafs had plenty of chances in the game, easily could of been tied after two.
Yes, the game is three periods long. Thus, for the Leafs to have "completely outplayed us", they can't just show up for 15 minutes. The Sens were the better team through two periods, PPs or not. Yes, it could have been tied - you can say that about most games, it doesn't change the fact that the Sens were the better team and were definitely not "completely outplayed".

Quote:
Elliott was fantastic, probably one of the best games i've ever seen him play, Beauchimin goal notwithstanding.
Ridiculous. Sens fans have evidently had poor goaltending for so long that they mistake every good game as "fantastic", every mediocre game as good, and every poor game as decent.

He did not deal with that many good scoring chances, and he let in two goals, which would have been three if Campoli didn't save one for him. Hardly "fantastic". Good, solid, goaltending. Hardly the reason why they won.

Last edited by Lexicon Devil: 11-04-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:17 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Yes, the game is three periods long. Thus, for the Leafs to have "completely outplayed us", they can't just show up for 15 minutes. The Sens were the better team through two periods, PPs or not. Yes, it could have been tied - you can say that about most games, it doesn't change the fact that the Sens were the better team and were definitely not "completely outplayed".

Ridiculous. Sens fans have evidently had poor goaltending for so long that they mistake every good game as "fantastic", every mediocre game as good, and every poor game as decent.

He did not deal with that many good scoring chances, and he let in two goals, which would have been three if Campoli didn't save one for him. Hardly "fantastic". Good, solid, goaltending. Hardly the reason why they won.
We were outshot 35-25.

Sens were better in the first, Leafs were better in the second, but our lethal PP masked that fact. Third was all Leafs. Elliott made plenty of timely saves, in particular the glove save where Grabovski was able to waltz through the slot untouched. I've never believed in Elliott and have always said he's a goalie who the best you can hope for is that he doesn't lose you the game. This was nothing of the sort, he didn't steal the game outright but I think he was definitely the difference, well that and the PP.

2nd period shots

3rd period shots