HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

No October Labatt Nordic Cup?

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
No October Labatt Nordic Cup?

Anyone want to set this up, or should I do something when I get home from work tonight?

Old
11-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Spacek

Old
11-03-2010, 11:32 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

I'm really thorn between Spacek and Gomez.

Old
11-03-2010, 11:35 AM
shutehinside

Spacek. It's a no brainer IMO.

He's been soo aweful that he's actually trying to actively score on his own net after some of his giveaways were actually saved. He even failed at that!

Old
11-03-2010, 11:39 AM
neofury*

Spacek because unlike Gomez imo he's been playing in viable parings, with guys that are better than him. I can't say the same about Gomez though whose been playing with a 4th liner

To me Spacek hasn't even looked fit for the AHL.

Old
11-03-2010, 12:06 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Spacek because unlike Gomez imo he's been playing in viable parings, with guys that are better than him. I can't say the same about Gomez though whose been playing with a 4th liner

To me Spacek hasn't even looked fit for the AHL.
Gomez had plenty of games with both Gionta and Pouliot.

Can we have co-*winners*?

Old
11-03-2010, 12:20 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Gomez had plenty of games with both Gionta and Pouliot.

Can we have co-*winners*?
When were these games in the preseason? Or are you referring to the first couple games in? Cause I've seen him on the line but never for too long.

It's kind of like the Carbonneau days imo, you can't just keep changing the lines or put grinders in the top 6. It's not going to work due to chemistry and if it does work it will only work for so long imo.

When you look at how well Picard has done, how Hammer has pretty much been great, Subban has too, Markov just got back but was fine last game. I mean even Gorges has looked pretty good, though I think he looked a bit better last season

The only excuse imo for Spacek would be if he were paired with Gill. (Btw Gill was awful yesterday)
So in that sense even if he did play for Pouliot for a bit, he sure has a lot more reason to be bad than Spacek does, playing with stud defenseman on every shift. At least by comparison to him anyways, and most of the time when a bad play happens or we get scored on, it's almost a direct result of him ****ing off and not putting in the legitimate effort.

Old
11-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Lucius

Spacek has been horrible, but he was playing "above his head' while Markov was out.

Gomez is playing a line below his pay grade and was still terrible.

So, the cup goes to Gomez.

Honorable mention to Max Lapierre who I more or less forgot played for the team.

Old
11-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Nedved

gionta. this is the captain we signed up for? where's the on ice leadership. get the midget out of here!

Old
11-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
gionta. this is the captain we signed up for? where's the on ice leadership. get the midget out of here!
One of the most idiotic statements I've read on HF, if you're being serious.

Old
11-03-2010, 02:09 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I read the message, and guessed it was you before I saw the username

Old
11-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I am and I'm not. I don't think he has been the worse player or that he is a bad captain, I just expect more from him and what his role to the team is. he really has got to a slow start, hopefully he and gomez turn it around.

Old
11-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I read the message, and guessed it was you before I saw the username
You know me too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I am and I'm not. I don't think he has been the worse player or that he is a bad captain, I just expect more from him and what his role to the team is. he really has got to a slow start, hopefully he and gomez turn it around.
You called him a midget and wished for him to get out...that's vastly different than what you're saying in this post. I agree with you know, but not before.

Old
11-04-2010, 08:55 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Spacek has been horrible, but he was playing "above his head' while Markov was out.

Gomez is playing a line below his pay grade and was still terrible.

So, the cup goes to Gomez.

Honorable mention to Max Lapierre who I more or less forgot played for the team.
That's a fair assessment actually being that he did have to play more minutes than he's supposed to. But I just find it funny people blame Gomez when the guy he's feeding the puck to can't bury his chances. I'm a Gio fan and a Gomez fan, but there is no logic behind blaming the playmaker when he's been making the plays and the shooters aren't scoring.

Gionta hasn't been able to get into good scoring positions at all. Not his fault being that the line is handicapped. But how is it any more Gomez fault?

Gomez is making the passes and Gio is getting them on his stick.

Gio simply isn't burying any and he's playing perimeter. Even last game you could see he's even given up on trying to get into a good position with the puck. He just fires from a bad angle or from far out because he knows he isn't getting within a good shooting area with or even without the puck.

For a playmaker what's important is that your passes make it to the shooter.

For a shooter what's important is that your shots either go in or create rebound chances.

One of the two players in question is doing his job much more effectively than the other. That person is Gomez.

Do you really think if Gomez was on a line with a 40 goal scorer like Parise and then another 20-25 goal guy he wouldn't be able to get points? You'd be naive to think he couldn't. He's on a line with ONE 20-25 goal scorer who can't even get a shot in from anywhere or relevance.

Old
11-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Lucius

Quote:
That's a fair assessment actually being that he did have to play more minutes than he's supposed to. But I just find it funny people blame Gomez when the guy he's feeding the puck to can't bury his chances. I'm a Gio fan and a Gomez fan, but there is no logic behind blaming the playmaker when he's been making the plays and the shooters aren't scoring.

Gionta hasn't been able to get into good scoring positions at all. Not his fault being that the line is handicapped. But how is it any more Gomez fault?

Gomez is making the passes and Gio is getting them on his stick.

Gio simply isn't burying any and he's playing perimeter. Even last game you could see he's even given up on trying to get into a good position with the puck. He just fires from a bad angle or from far out because he knows he isn't getting within a good shooting area with or even without the puck.

For a playmaker what's important is that your passes make it to the shooter.

For a shooter what's important is that your shots either go in or create rebound chances.

One of the two players in question is doing his job much more effectively than the other. That person is Gomez.

Do you really think if Gomez was on a line with a 40 goal scorer like Parise and then another 20-25 goal guy he wouldn't be able to get points? You'd be naive to think he couldn't. He's on a line with ONE 20-25 goal scorer who can't even get a shot in from anywhere or relevance.
They're both playing poorly, but keep in mind this is the Nordic Cup in a month where the team finished first in the league.

So the bar is still pretty high here.

You're right though, it could be a co-winner situation.

But Gomez produced below is pay grade last year and this season is so far a lot worse. If we end up with a 7+ million dollar guy who chips in 25 points on the second line... we're in serious, serious trouble.

Old
11-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Habitants

classic! make up the poll and bring back this epic thread! lol

Old
11-04-2010, 09:30 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
They're both playing poorly, but keep in mind this is the Nordic Cup in a month where the team finished first in the league.

So the bar is still pretty high here.

You're right though, it could be a co-winner situation.

But Gomez produced below is pay grade last year and this season is so far a lot worse. If we end up with a 7+ million dollar guy who chips in 25 points on the second line... we're in serious, serious trouble.
Agreed and if Gomez has 25-40 points I'll really eat crow. Heck even 40-50 points I'll eat crow. If he has 50+ it's not great for a 7.5 million dollar guy but if we make the playoffs, go deep and he plays well, then imo there is nothing to complain about.

More time will tell but right now I have to ask myself is Gomer costing us games or is Spacek?

To me I have to say Spacek because in three of our losses we lost 3-0 3-0 and 3-1. This means the team isn't scoring in those three losses not just the Gomez line. Hard to blame one line when the A line didn't do much either.

But then I look at Spacek. Why were some of those games so out of reach in the first place? Because of the fact that Spacek has been terrible and teams have been able to take the lead due to his defensive zone blunders. Don't get me wrong though against Columbus he had arguably the best chance to score, hit the crossbar and with the speed of the play and being that he's a D, it's really a shock he was even able to hit the puck let alone the cross bar with it. That having been said in that game specifically I will admit I blame Gill much more than Spacek, he cost us 2 of the goals if I recall.

So while it wasn't entirely Spacek's fault either, and while one could argue the games we lost by 1 goal could have been won if Gomez/Gio were performing, same can be said if Spacek wasn't so poor defensively. We could've remained in a tie game rather than being down a goal in the third....

I think all three can be nominated and we can just vote on it, though I doubt people blame Gio and still I find it hard to understand why when logically speaking he's gotta take more of the blame than Gomez especially being that he's the captain.

Old
11-04-2010, 09:37 AM
patsbury

Spacek, head and shoulder above everyone.

Honorable mention to Gomez, Lapierre and our PP!

Old
11-04-2010, 09:49 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
To me I have to say Spacek because in three of our losses we lost 3-0 3-0 and 3-1. This means the team isn't scoring in those three losses not just the Gomez line. Hard to blame one line when the A line didn't do much either.
Spacek's job is to prevent the other team from scoring while Gomez's job is to score and help his linemates do the same. Shouldn't Gomez be at fault if we were shut down? We can't ask him to take over a game and but a goal by him or Gionta could have swung the momentum in our favor in any of those games. Then consider Spacek did not have a negative +/- in those games, he can hardly get the blame.

Instead he repeatedly stopped at the blueline and made passes to Gionta 60 feet from the net consistently resulting in low percentage shots on the goalie's chest. The only thing Gomez has on Spacek at this point is less PIMs, due to complete lack of energy in his play, and a lucky goal. Same number of assists, Spacek has a better +/- somehow. Gomez DOES have 4 more shots on goal however

Spacek has made more gaffes, due to him being a defensemen and having to be involved in the play but Gomez has been completely invisible. He hasn't had one good game that I can think of... Even Spacek had average games.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 11-04-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old
11-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Lucius

Quote:
See to me that's the opposite. The Plekanec line has been good, but if you expect them to generate 3 goals every game for 82 games, you're dreaming.

They have had a grand total of 3 or 4 bad games this year, and the idea of a second line is that they fill in the gaps when the top line doesn't have the best night.

So far, our games are simple: Plekanec's line produces multiple goals we win. Plekanec's line doesn't produce, we lose.

To me that's just a massive failure of the second line.

Old
11-04-2010, 10:02 AM
phoque taupe

The cup goes... to the PP!

Closed Thread