Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latest: Earl & Scandella Up (11/13)

Old
11-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Barker's already lost all of his value, he's going to be impossible to trade. We'd have to send a 2nd rounder or prospects just to get rid of him. He's a $3.5m healthy scratch defenseman (a la Jeff Finger).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

If Feltcher resigns Barker we'll know exactly what kind of GM we have. Sucks we had to give up a 1st rounder to confirm that someone sucks, though.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Barker's already lost all of his value, he's going to be impossible to trade. We'd have to send a 2nd rounder or prospects just to get rid of him. He's a $3.5m healthy scratch defenseman (a la Jeff Finger).
Nitpick alert: $3.08m; still sucks though

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 01:11 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
I think we'd still get something for him.

What that is, I don't know. We'll have to see what happens and just hope that he starts to play better.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 02:00 PM
saywut

Great news. Scandella's been the exact opposite of Cuma, in that it seems he keeps on progressing whereas Cuma keeps on regressing. Well deserved call-up, as by what I've read he has been the best d-man in Houston, really not a surprise given the rest of the group. Never liked Barker and questioned the deal since it happened.

As for Barker, I'm sure we could still get something, not like what we gave up of course. And because we'd be getting such low value compared to what we paid it makes little sense to me.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 02:20 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I still say Barker to Ottawa for Lee and a 2nd...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

I'm very optimistic about Scandella. Justin Falk has been a pleasant surprise (to me at least) and it'd be nice to have two, young players come in and make an impact this season. The Wild's slow game involving very little offensive zone cycling is getting stale.

Old
11-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Would love to see Burns-Scandella and Zidlicky-Falk down the road.

Old
11-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Pilney21
Who?

Quote:
Hopefully "down the road" is closer than we think.

Pilney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 02:46 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I still say Barker to Ottawa for Lee and a 2nd...
Really the only point of doing that would be to get out of Barker's contract. As much as I dislike Barker, I don't really think Lee is all that better, considering who Ottawa uses over him. I get the Flahr connection, and a right-hand shot would be welcomed on our 3rd pairing, but would Lee even unseat Stoner? Tough to tell. Can't bring Scandella into the equation as long as we have Falk up with 6 one-ways.

Quote:
If there's a 2nd pairing in between the 2, then yes!

Old
11-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Why? Big shutdown defenseman who can skate plus a great offensive defenseman who isn't inept in his own end?

Old
11-12-2010, 03:16 PM
saywut

Quote:
Why? Big shutdown defenseman who can skate plus a great offensive defenseman who isn't inept in his own end?
Falk's shut someone down? Who? Honestly, I understand people like the guy because he's young and from within, but lets be honest, he's not really an ideal top-4 guy, and doesn't have much upside.

Old
11-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

When it comes to young players who we've hardly seen what they can do in the NHL, I'd say we have just as much of a reason to be optimistic as we have reason to be pessimistic. It's still early and he's still finding his niche, so we get to choose.

Old
11-12-2010, 03:22 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Falk's shut someone down? Who? Honestly, I understand people like the guy because he's young and from within, but lets be honest, he's not really an ideal top-4 guy, and doesn't have much upside.
I'm with you on this one. Falk's good at his limited role, but he needs to improve to be good at a larger one.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Earlier in the season Falk was doing a great job of being physical and keeping players to the outside. He's still young. Give him a year or two and I bet he can be better than Schultz in almost every area of the game.

Old
11-12-2010, 11:58 PM
Jbcraig1883

I missed the game tonight. How did Scandella look?

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
Kinda shaky. Got turned around in front of the net on their first goal, but not a bad debut.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 02:11 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
He definitely got more comfortable as the game went on. They played him with Zanon, who was IMO the best option considering we want Burns-Schultz together. Zanon played the right side(don't recall any other time he's played that side) though, as they tried to keep Scandella on his left side. Limited his minutes, personally I'd like him over Schultz on PP#2, just because it would have got him in the game, and he's not less talented offensively than Schultz.

The first goal, he's partially to blame. Like I said in the GDT, he makes a great pass right on the ice to Havlat. Not a hard pass to make as it was only ~10ft with no sticks in the lane, but it was easy to take. In a similar passing lane, Havlat bounces the puck back over to him. Instead of slowing down and trying to corral the puck, Marco tries to take it on the rush, and it bounces over his stick. Puck stays in our zone and ends up on the net on a rebound.

If you watched Scandella last year in the Q and then at the WJC, you could see a difference between the 2 players. The Scandella at the WJC played much more passive, as he didn't want to take penalties or take himself out of the play. In the Q though, he was much more aggressive. Well, he looked scared to make mistakes out there last night with the Wild. Its tough for a guy to take-off with unfamiliar players, especially in his first year pro, and when its not right out of camp. With Burns suspended for 2 games now, he should remain in, even if Zidlicky is healthy. Put Stoner or Barker in the pressbox tomorrow for Falk to draw back in.

Remember Benoit Pouliot's first recall? He had an excellent start to his first season in Houston, got called up to play meaningless 4th line minutes for a few games, got sent back down, and did nothing in Houston the rest of the year. I want Scandella to get more than a 1 game look. You don't bring up first year pros to play 1 game, you bring them up to get a look at them. 1 game looks are for veterans.

Old
11-13-2010, 05:24 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Hopefully with Burns out Scandella gets at least the next two games to settle in and show a few things.

He certainly was shakey last night, though. Especially early.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 06:25 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Robbie Earl's back up for the first of his many flights between MSP and Houston.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Jbcraig1883

Thanks for the feedback on Scandella. It is greatly appreciated.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I only caught bits and pieces of the game (kid is teething and was kind of a pain all night)...Scandella looked good positionally. He seemed to have a split second hesitation on anything he did, which caused some problems. Kid has good hands, was moving the puck and making plays, but the hesitation cause some turnover problems, including the first goal against (which was IMO Zanon's fault, yes Scandella was stripped of the puck at the blue line, but FFS Zanon, YOU DUMP THE PUCK RIGHT UP THE CENTER OF THE ICE TO THE POINT MAN?). After that, he calmed down a bit and looked alright. He definitely needs this year at Houston to adjust to the speed of the game, but he seems to have all the assets to be a successful NHL'er.