HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Patrick Roy criticizes Guy Boucher

Old
11-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
hm... Roy turned down an offer from the Avs to stay with the Remparts. Coach and GM at the same time. That was the offer.
Avs dodged a bullet there!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Habs13

Who cares what Roy has to say... dosen't he have kids to send into fights or something? Maybe he could punch a fan or two...

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
I was just coming to this thread to post this !
Great minds think alike !
Yeah indeed, thanks !

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:20 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Roy

http://www.rds.ca/lhjmq/chroniques/309177.html

Google Translate

Patrick Roy has never been afraid of his opinions and he became one of the first hockey leaders to openly criticize the work of Guy Boucher of Quebec to the media.

The head honcho of the Quebec Remparts launched an arrow at the site of the former pilot of the Drummondville Voltigeurs.

"Guy has not moved forward with the QMJHL's defensive system. Beaucoup d'équipes l'ont copié», peut-on lire dans le Journal de Québec , en faisant surtout allusion à la saison 2008-09 lorsque les Voltigeurs ont remporté la coupe du Président. Many teams have copied, "it said in the Journal de Quebec, by alluding to the 2008-09 season when the Voltigeurs won the President Cup.

"We put Guy Boucher in high esteem from the way it works, but to send four players in the corner of territory, this has perhaps delayed the development of some young and may need a show less exciting for the hockey fan. Nous, les Remparts, c'est certain qu'on n'embarquera pas dans ce système-là. We, the Remparts, sure we do not adhere to that system. On va jouer le hockey comme il se doit d'être joué», peut-on par ailleurs lire dans Le Soleil . We're gonna play hockey as it should be played, can we also read in The Sun.

These statements are quite surprising since the Voltigeurs had dominated the QMJHL with 345 goals this season.

Dominic Ricard, Director General of the Voltigeurs, prefers not to give interviews about it, but he still made this comment to RDS.

«J'ai d'autres choses à faire dans la vie que de commenter des propos gratuits et sans fondements de Patrick Roy», at-il déclaré. "I have other things to do in life than commenting about the foundations of free and without Patrick Roy," he said.

Au quotidien Le Soleil , Ricard avait auparavant affirmé que Boucher demandait énormément au niveau défensif quand son équipe n'était pas en possession de la rondelle. Le Soleil, Ricard said that Boucher had earlier asked a lot at defensive when his team was not in possession of the puck. Il précise toutefois qu'il développait extrêmement aussi le côté offensif. He stated however that he also developed extremely offensive side.

Roy, à titre de propriétaire, directeur général et entraîneur des Remparts de Québec, s'en prend avant tout au jeu défensif qui prend trop de place dans la LHJMQ à son avis. Roy, as owner, general manager and coach of the Quebec Remparts, attacks primarily at defensive play that takes too much space in the QMJHL in his opinion.

«Je veux être bien compris. "I want to be understood. Je ne dénigre pas le travail de Guy. I do not denigrate the work of Guy. Il a été innovateur. It was innovative. Je le félicite pour sa vision, ses qualités de psychologue. I commend him for his vision, his qualities as a psychologist. Je ne prétends pas qu'il n'est pas un coach brillant. I do not pretend it is not a brilliant coach. Mais sa philosophie défensive a fait reculer notre ligue», a expliqué Roy. But his defensive philosophy has set back our league, "said Roy.

L'ancien gardien de la LNH est conscient qu'il s'attirera des critiques en s'attaquant au nouvel entraîneur du Lightning de Tampa Bay, mais il tenait à faire cette sortie pour faire réfléchir les dirigeants. The former NHL goalie is aware that it will draw criticism by attacking the new coach of Tampa Bay, but he wanted to make this release to reflect on the leaders.

Yannick Riendeau avait été le meilleur pointeur des Voltigeurs en 2008-09 avec 58 buts et 68 passes (126 points) devant Dany Massé (44 buts et 66 passes pour 110 points) et ces deux joueurs ont toujours vanté Boucher pour les avoir fait progresser offensivement. Yannick Riendeau was the leading scorer in 2008-09 with the Voltigeurs 58 goals and 68 assists (126 points) before Dany Massé (44 goals and 66 assists for 110 points) and these two players have always praised Boucher for making progress offensively .
Hmm,

Judging by your avatar, you are subliminally stating that Guy Boucher is the NHL's "Special One"

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Patrick Roy is awesome.Can't wait to see him in the habs organization.
I like Guy Boucher , but he's a nobody compare to Roy.

Last edited by Jafar: 11-04-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
Strong defensive systme with 345 goals lol

Roy fails
The Devils were one of the highest scoring teams in the mid 90s under the Lemaire system.

Back to hockey school.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Jealous Boucher beat him to the NHL? I think so.
LOL! In hockey terms, Boucher is akin to the gum stuck to the underside of Roy's shoe.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:13 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Damn something is wrong the copy/paste on Google Translate
Yeah I was going to say if you're going to do it that way fair enough but bold french and not English or vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReenMachine View Post
Patrick Roy is awesome.Can't wait to see him in the habs organization.
I like Guy Boucher , but he's a nobody compare to Roy.
In the hockey world in general maybe. In the coaching world specifically I respectfully disagree.

Boucher is an NHL coach taking a bottom feeder team to the top. Granted yes they brought in new management entirely, granted yes they have a better team this year to begin with. Still I really doubt Roy would be doing better in his place.

Boucher coaching > Roy coaching.

Now if you want to ask who the better player is we all know the answer to that, doesn't mean it translates as a coach though. Frankly he's coaching for the team he owns.....

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Alexsin

The explanation for all this is in this morning Mathias Brunet's article:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexsin View Post
Someone in Boucher entourage thinks it has nothing to do with Boucher, it's psychological war:

(My translation: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...7_accueil_POS3)

What does he do when he wants to win ? Destabilize the enemy. He did it years ago at the Memorial Cup attacking a 19 years old goalie, then Ted Nolan. It wasn't an attack on Guy Boucher but a way to disturb other coaches in the QMJHL and incite them to change their style.
Makes sense.

Roy is not that stupid.

But Boucher will win the Stanley Cup has a coach before him.

Alexsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:20 AM
phoque taupe

yeah, its a shot to the voltigeurs

Cant wait to nov 14th. Junior vs Voltigeurs.
Leblanc vs Couturier

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:33 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
This thread is awesome.

You people are forgetting motivations? Why would Patrick say what he did? Is it because he's a coach? No, he's an owner, and trap hockey is boring for fans, as an owner he doesn't want the QJHML to play trap hockey. Plain and simple, he's being his typical pro Patrick Roy self.

At the same time, he's helping his team in the process. He was smart enough to wait until Boucher left the Q and he also waited till Boucher left the Habs to bash him. Roy could have bashed him last year cuz he was talking about the Q but he chose not to. He waited for a reason.

Also, notice how boucher didn't address the defensive part of what Patrick was saying, not once did Patrick Roy say Boucher's system couldn't score, he never attacked the offensive of Boucher, but Boucher's only defense is that he could still score.

Why cant Boucher admit that Patrick was right about the defensive part, it is boring, that is all Patrick Roy was saying. He is the owner of a team and he doesn't want boring hockey.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Hfboards2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
You people are forgetting motivations? Why would Patrick say what he did? Is it because he's a coach? No, he's an owner, and trap hockey is boring for fans, as an owner he doesn't want the QJHML to play trap hockey
Having motivations doesn't make Roy's comment anymore brilliant. Self-serving, yes. Brillant, no.

Hfboards2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfboards2010 View Post
Having motivations doesn't make Roy's comment anymore brilliant. Self-serving, yes. Brillant, no.
I didn't say his comments were brilliant.

But Patrick knows what to say at the right times. Rewind to the Memorial Cup where it was Nolan vs Roy, Nolan was the supreme Jr coach at the time, but Roy out coached him off the ice, Roy made it about Roy vs Nolan's goalie, which Nolan's goalie could never win.

Patrick succesfully took the pressure off of his team, by making the focus about him vs Nolan, and attacking Nolan's goalie, which was a key factor in the Remparts winnin that year vs the Wildcats.

Roy isn't dumb is my point and he knows how to take advantage of the media / mental aspect to twist it to his teams favour. The same thing was true when he made comments about JR. He drew attention away from his team cuz he knew he could handle the pressure.

Roy is all about head games. That is what people underestimate.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Yes. Roy is the Goldust of the Q with his "mind games".

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Alexsin

Quote:
If it makes him win, yes, it's brilliant.

He doesn't care about critics.
It's all about winning.

Quote:
Roy is a genius !

Roy... head games... hum... think i'm gonna change my avatar..

Swear i'm not a huge fan... well.... swear it doesn't influence my opinion !

Alexsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:00 PM
frenchyfred

Quote:
+1 here. i really wonder how making that kind of comments, just to play the so-called "head games", when everybody knows you're doing so and see you coming from miles around, makes you brilliant.

to me roy is just like guy lafleur: great hockey player, but un bien petit homme with a very big mouth...

frenchyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 07:29 PM
NewHabsEra*

Patrick just cant live without media attention.. His team is doing pretty well and he probably felt a lack of media recognizion or something like it.. Still, pretty immature non sensed comments, good old self Patrick..

Sometime I feel bad for him, I think he has become a pityful charactere..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:07 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah I was going to say if you're going to do it that way fair enough but bold french and not English or vice versa.

In the hockey world in general maybe. In the coaching world specifically I respectfully disagree.

Boucher is an NHL coach taking a bottom feeder team to the top. Granted yes they brought in new management entirely, granted yes they have a better team this year to begin with. Still I really doubt Roy would be doing better in his place.

Boucher coaching > Roy coaching.

Now if you want to ask who the better player is we all know the answer to that, doesn't mean it translates as a coach though. Frankly he's coaching for the team he owns.....
LOL!! He's taken them to the top? In a dozen games? The credit Boucher gets for things he hasn't yet done amazes me. How about we wait an entire season before we give him the Jack Adams?

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Patrick just cant live without media attention.. His team is doing pretty well and he probably felt a lack of media recognizion or something like it.. Still, pretty immature non sensed comments, good old self Patrick..

Sometime I feel bad for him, I think he has become a pityful charactere..
I really don't think he needs or cares for your sympathy, just a guess.

Shouldn't you be cheering for Hal Gill to break a leg?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:39 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Friendly TB fan here and I must say, there's nobody here who considers it a defensive system. Boucher does ask everybody to backcheck, but to call it a trapping system? No, not true. He'll play to shutdown the other team's top player, but if that's a trap, then every single hockey team ever has played the trap

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Roy cant hear what you guys are saying, his Stanley Cup rings are blocking his ears.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:25 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Friendly TB fan here and I must say, there's nobody here who considers it a defensive system. Boucher does ask everybody to backcheck, but to call it a trapping system? No, not true. He'll play to shutdown the other team's top player, but if that's a trap, then every single hockey team ever has played the trap
That's a form of trap, yes.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote