Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what happened to haken loob?

Old
11-03-2010, 06:05 PM
AlexandreBurrows

vCash: 500
what happened to haken loob?

he had a bunch of good seasons with you guys and finished up with an 85 point season at 29 years old and anlso winning a stanley cup that season. yet the next year he goes back to sweden, seamingly in his prime., can anyone tell me what happened?

AlexandreBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 06:11 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

vCash: 50
Not too sure exactly but I think he just wanted to go home and win championships with his native team while he could. He won a cup with us in '89 and then returned home and continued to win. He retired in '96. It was a different league then and Swedish players were rare. Nowadays leaving to play at home after winning a cup would be mind-blowing.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 06:21 PM
tsumetai

Looks like he's the GM of that club in Sweden now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A5kan_Loob

tsumetai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Triple Deke

I think he also wanted to raise his family in Sweden.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 06:42 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Congrats on your 1,337 post.

On another note, Flames prospect Henrik Bjorklund apparently is the next Loob. I've never watched him play. How is he?

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreBurrows View Post
he had a bunch of good seasons with you guys and finished up with an 85 point season at 29 years old and anlso winning a stanley cup that season. yet the next year he goes back to sweden, seamingly in his prime., can anyone tell me what happened?
He won the Cup here and he had a family he wanted to raise in Sweden. It was a different time with Euros back then, and he wouldn't have been walking away from the kind of money players are making today.

Who knows, if Gilmour hadn't been run out of town and Loob stuck around, we would have been poised for another Cup run or two in the early 90s. Roberts, Nieuwendyk and Fleury were coming into their own, Makarov had come in, MacInnis and Suter were still on the blueline. Its a shame how much talent this team had in the late 80s and early 90s that goes unnoticed and its a shame there was nothing to show for some of those key pieces going.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Went Super Saiyan. NHL couldn't handle him.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
He won the Cup here and he had a family he wanted to raise in Sweden. It was a different time with Euros back then, and he wouldn't have been walking away from the kind of money players are making today.

Who knows, if Gilmour hadn't been run out of town and Loob stuck around, we would have been poised for another Cup run or two in the early 90s. Roberts, Nieuwendyk and Fleury were coming into their own, Makarov had come in, MacInnis and Suter were still on the blueline. Its a shame how much talent this team had in the late 80s and early 90s that goes unnoticed and its a shame there was nothing to show for some of those key pieces going.
Run out of town my ass.That bum walked out on the Flames and his teammates in the middle of the season over a contract dispute.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Losing Mullen & Loob for nothing after winning the Cup (and getting greased by Cliff Fletcher) hurt this franchise for decades, IMO.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Heat View Post
Run out of town my ass.That bum walked out on the Flames and his teammates in the middle of the season over a contract dispute.
Wasn't worth making a panic trade.

Old
11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Feel The Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Wasn't worth making a panic trade.
Youre right it wasn't.

I would have let him sit the rest of the season if that is what it took. But Risebrough was groomed and taken to school by Fletcher. We lost Macinnis and Nieuwendyk from his lack of GM skills. Nieuwendyk is easier to swallow since we ended up with Iginla.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Roughneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Heat View Post
Nieuwendyk is easier to swallow since we ended up with Iginla.
Of course he wanted Todd Harvey, thankfully his lack of GM skills made him settle for his second choice.

Old
11-04-2010, 12:12 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandreBurrows View Post
Back in those days, 29 was considered almost the end of a player's NHL career, usually they retired by early 30's. Lanny McDonald was 35 and considered ancient by NHL standards. Guys were making a lot less money, a heck of a lot less.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:52 PM
VaeVictis

First time poster but long time Flame Fan (ever since Jim Peplinski visited my high school back in 81).

Ah...Hakan Loob...aka the "Swedish Gretzky"...a name I haven't heard in quite a while!

I had the pleasure of knowing the Loob's during their brief time in Calgary and can 100% confirm that the main reason they left to go back to Sweden was for their kids. Hakan wanted his kids raised in his homeland and went back before they got too far in school and started to loose their language. He had also achieved the ultimate NHL prize--the Stanley Cup--so there wasn't much left for him over here. He was offered a contract with his old club--Farjestads--which paid him a very competitive amount as compared to his NHL salary. His wife, who was friendly with mine, also did not care for Calgary itself and longed to go home. She was pretty easy on the eyes too!

Utterly fantastic player and super nice guy. He still holds, I believe, the all time scoring record in the Swedish Elite League. Could have easily played another 5 or 6 years as a top-tier NHLer. I understood their reasons for leaving, but as a hockey fan and friend I was sad to see him go.

VaeVictis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2010, 03:56 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Back in those days, 29 was considered almost the end of a player's NHL career, usually they retired by early 30's. Lanny McDonald was 35 and considered ancient by NHL standards. Guys were making a lot less money, a heck of a lot less.
Then he started working at Maclin Ford?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Matte99

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaeVictis View Post
First time poster but long time Flame Fan (ever since Jim Peplinski visited my high school back in 81).

Ah...Hakan Loob...aka the "Swedish Gretzky"...a name I haven't heard in quite a while!

I had the pleasure of knowing the Loob's during their brief time in Calgary and can 100% confirm that the main reason they left to go back to Sweden was for their kids. Hakan wanted his kids raised in his homeland and went back before they got too far in school and started to loose their language. He had also achieved the ultimate NHL prize--the Stanley Cup--so there wasn't much left for him over here. He was offered a contract with his old club--Farjestads--which paid him a very competitive amount as compared to his NHL salary. His wife, who was friendly with mine, also did not care for Calgary itself and longed to go home. She was pretty easy on the eyes too!

Utterly fantastic player and super nice guy. He still holds, I believe, the all time scoring record in the Swedish Elite League. Could have easily played another 5 or 6 years as a top-tier NHLer. I understood their reasons for leaving, but as a hockey fan and friend I was sad to see him go.
Great guy, great player and great GM. And yes, Loob still got the (unbreakable) scoring record in SEL.

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote