HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blow. It. Up.

View Poll Results: Blow it up?
Yes 68 93.15%
Yes 34 46.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-03-2010, 08:36 PM
rabi

vCash: 500
The only untouchables on this current roster should be Ennis and Myers...

Ship everyone else out and bring up the AHL youngsters like Adam...

I'd rather see Portland play than Buffalo...

Sign all draft picks now so that they can backfill for Portland next year...

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:40 PM
SLTravel

CUT Tinman, fire Darcy, fire Ruff

That'll be a good start at redemption.

SLTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I'm not meaning to offend any of our players because I like a lot of them, but everyone besides a select few players should be trade assets at the deadline and no one's safe. Get whatever you can for anyone not named Miller, Myers, and Ennis. Ship out all the veterans and build up as many picks/prospects as possible. Do what Carolina did last year. They shipped out Wallin, Cullen, Corvo, Ward, etc.

I'd look to trade anyone I could. Blowing it up won't happen until the deadline. We're Buffalo and we'll expect to ride Lindy and Darcy through this season and if changes are made, they'll be made in the offseason.

Connolly, Stafford, Gaustad, Morrisonn, Niedermayer, Grier, Sekera, Butler, Gerbe, and Montador should all be able to fetch at least something. Take what we can get and run.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:01 PM
goooal

If you want a full rebuild, I mean to do it right we'd need better owners...BUT, just for fun I'll give it a shot.

Fire Every Single Coach on the Sabres
Fire Regier (and probably many others in the office)
Trade or cut Connolly
Trade Miller
Let Grier, Niedermayer, Lalime, and Rivet walk (or trade them but I doubt you could)
Do your best to trade Vanek
Bring up Enroth, sign another goalie to tandem with him in free agency. If Enroth doesnt seem to have what it takes deal him or cut him and sign another goalie in free agency.
Bring up Kassian and Adam
Play Sekera and Butler regularly. If they still are inconsistent or seemingly not maturing, deal them for picks or viable prospects.

goooal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Gorgon

Bob Boughner for next Sabres Coach, Danny Gare Asst. Coach
Kick Lindy upstairs to AGM
show Darcy and McCutcheon the door
Jim Schoenfeld GM

Gorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 09:49 PM
rabi

NO, NO , NO!!!

Please...no former Buffalo Sabres!!!

Bring in some solid hockey minds, like we did when Muckler came in here...

Can Neil Smith provide anything after being "out of the game" for a while?

Old
11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
rabi

I'd almost say bring Ted Nolan back...

Kidding!!!!

Old
11-03-2010, 10:18 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
If this team sucked any more than they do we'd be under contract to vivid.
Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
We should've done a better job drafting prior to 08!

We should never have signed Vanek to this contract!

We should never have signed Connolly to this contract!

We should never have signed Gaustad to this contract!

We should have fired Ruff and Regier this offseason!

We never should've let Lydman go!
You forgot that we should have kept Flutie instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
NO, NO , NO!!!

Please...no former Buffalo Sabres!!!

Bring in some solid hockey minds, like we did when Muckler came in here...

Can Neil Smith provide anything after being "out of the game" for a while?
Boogie is a damn good coach. I'd have no qualms with that.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Eichel 9

I'd love to see Adam get some more NHL time..he looked pretty good in his 1st game but wasn't really used at all in his 2nd game up. He scored two more goals tonight. Certainly can't be worse than Connolly has been.

Eichel 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 04:55 AM
Tra La La

Scenarios where they dismantle the team, and go on a five year rebuild are impossible. This franchise needs to make the playoffs to exist. I'll bet Golisano has lost 5-8 million every non playoff season. He will sell to ANYONE at some point.

They have to make the playoffs , with this core group now. That means other changes have to come. Because this core group can't play for this regime anymore.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:37 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wallace View Post
I voted for both options. I just can't decide
same here.

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 06:39 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Just a thought;

It really sucks that I have to hope this team keeps losing in order for changes to b e made, even then changes still may not come.

How bout this theory, say if management stays as is but a whole new roster is in next year;

Ennis - x - Kassian
Adam - Roy - x
x - x - Kaleta
x - McCormick - x

Morisson - Myers
Leopold - Psysk
Weber - Sekera

Miller
x

Does anyone think we could be successful or "same **** different day" kind of deal???

Essentially I guess i'm trying to say its mostly the players fault, even though it is not. Remember though Regier/Ruff have been successful before....

Old
11-04-2010, 08:23 AM
ohheyimmark

In order to blow it up effectively, Miller has to go. I'm not sure we should do that. We shouldn't waste Miller's best years on a 2-3 year rebuild. It would have to be some major tinkering without going full on rebuild if we keep Miller around. Something like....

Fire DR. Put Lindy at interim GM away from the players. Dineen as interim coach. Trade Connolly at the deadline or sooner. Try and move one of Pominville or Vanek, but not necessarily both. Roy, Ennis, and Miller are untouchable. Grab whatever else you can for anybody at the deadline. Shop Gerbe, if we keep Ennis and Roy, he's redundant and too small. Bring up Kassian and Adam next year. Sign a first line talent, and personally, I don't care if it's a winger or a center...just needs to be a game changer.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 08:50 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
In order to blow it up effectively, Miller has to go. I'm not sure we should do that. We shouldn't waste Miller's best years on a 2-3 year rebuild. It would have to be some major tinkering without going full on rebuild if we keep Miller around. Something like....

Fire DR. Put Lindy at interim GM away from the players. Dineen as interim coach. Trade Connolly at the deadline or sooner. Try and move one of Pominville or Vanek, but not necessarily both. Roy, Ennis, and Miller are untouchable. Grab whatever else you can for anybody at the deadline. Shop Gerbe, if we keep Ennis and Roy, he's redundant and too small. Bring up Kassian and Adam next year. Sign a first line talent, and personally, I don't care if it's a winger or a center...just needs to be a game changer.
What? You put a big strong defensive minded team in front of Miller this team becomes an instant contender. One thing that is different from years ago is the time it takes a team to rebuild after "blowing it up" Ten years ago starting over from scratch basically took 3 - 4 years, with the parity in the league now look how fast teams have come back and made the playoffs (ie: Philly, Chicago, Tampa)

Old
11-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
What? You put a big strong defensive minded team in front of Miller this team becomes an instant contender. One thing that is different from years ago is the time it takes a team to rebuild after "blowing it up" Ten years ago starting over from scratch basically took 3 - 4 years, with the parity in the league now look how fast teams have come back and made the playoffs (ie: Philly, Chicago, Tampa)
If the organization's sole goal is to make the playoffs, then I agree... with some tinkering this squad could return to mediocrity in 1-2 years from now.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

before omg blow everything up, get rid of Ruff, get a new coach, let him work til the deadline and then if nothing's changed with the team blow it up.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
Well it did help teams like Chicago and Tampa to have 2 or more top 5 picks in a short time. Neither team would be were they are now without Toews, Kane, Hedman or Stamkos.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

The problem starts with Darcy. Like others around the league have noted, they are amazed at the loyalty DR has shown members of this team, Connolly being the prime example.

Until Regier is gone, Ruff is absolutely safe. Neither believes that either of them are the problem, so good luck getting those alcoholics to AA.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 11:41 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
A few thoughts.

First off, lets assume, ASSUME that the season is essentially over. Making the playoffs isn't out of reach yet and I believe that this team, as is, is talented enough to reach it assuming everyone pulls their head of their ass.

Now, lets assume we are talking a full rebuild here. This assumes a cleaning of the front office, new coach, etc.

Looking at the assets we have, we can make tremendous strides at the deadline. We have a depth of bottom 4 d-men all with reasonable short term contracts.

Morrison, Rivet, and Montador would all fetch a decent return. Sekera, Butler, and Weber would also attract some attention.

Teams looking for a stop gap second line center would take a look at Connolly, assuming he isn't on the IR by then

Stafford is probably still movable, think of the Briere/Gratton trade, project for project.

Grier and Niedermayer would also attract a bit of market attention at the deadline

So, a barebones lineup would look like the following:

Vanek-XXXX-Pomniville
hecht-Roy-Kassian
Ennis-Adam-McCormick
XXXX-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers-XXXX
Butler-Sekera
Weber-XXX

Miller
XXXX

Assuming a good deadline, will be at about a 40 million payroll.

Filling in the blanks, assume 1 million for a backup goalie, probably 1.5 million for contracts to fill the 4th line/Depth roles. That is still between 13-14 million to spend on a #1 center and a #1 d-man. Given the fact that we will have a very large selection of picks at draft table. In fact, if our GM at the time does his job right we could have as many as 10 picks in the 1st 3 rounds.

The ideal situation in the offseason is to reshape the core via trades and replenish depth via UFA signings

Ideally I think the plan is to should be to purge the impending UFAs at the deadline and work on reshaping the core via trade in the off season. If there is a core reshaping move during the season, by all means do it. However, like most seasons, I don't expect teams to be doing much more than tweaking as 12/15 teams in each conference will be in the playoff hunt until march.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:42 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Doak--Kassian's stuck in juniors except for an emergency recall. Strike him out of the lineup.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 12:56 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Doak--Kassian's stuck in juniors except for an emergency recall. Strike him out of the lineup.
Sorry should have been clearer: That's a rough lineup starting this post season. There are likely to be a few fill ins from portland and returns from trade that will finish up this season. Hopefully we can get a few useful players there as well.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
A few thoughts.

First off, lets assume, ASSUME that the season is essentially over. Making the playoffs isn't out of reach yet and I believe that this team, as is, is talented enough to reach it assuming everyone pulls their head of their ass.

Now, lets assume we are talking a full rebuild here. This assumes a cleaning of the front office, new coach, etc.

Looking at the assets we have, we can make tremendous strides at the deadline. We have a depth of bottom 4 d-men all with reasonable short term contracts.

Morrison, Rivet, and Montador would all fetch a decent return. Sekera, Butler, and Weber would also attract some attention.

Teams looking for a stop gap second line center would take a look at Connolly, assuming he isn't on the IR by then

Stafford is probably still movable, think of the Briere/Gratton trade, project for project.

Grier and Niedermayer would also attract a bit of market attention at the deadline

So, a barebones lineup would look like the following:

Vanek-XXXX-Pomniville
hecht-Roy-Kassian
Ennis-Adam-McCormick
XXXX-Gaustad-Kaleta

Myers-XXXX
Butler-Sekera
Weber-XXX

Miller
XXXX

Assuming a good deadline, will be at about a 40 million payroll.

Filling in the blanks, assume 1 million for a backup goalie, probably 1.5 million for contracts to fill the 4th line/Depth roles. That is still between 13-14 million to spend on a #1 center and a #1 d-man. Given the fact that we will have a very large selection of picks at draft table. In fact, if our GM at the time does his job right we could have as many as 10 picks in the 1st 3 rounds.

The ideal situation in the offseason is to reshape the core via trades and replenish depth via UFA signings

Ideally I think the plan is to should be to purge the impending UFAs at the deadline and work on reshaping the core via trade in the off season. If there is a core reshaping move during the season, by all means do it. However, like most seasons, I don't expect teams to be doing much more than tweaking as 12/15 teams in each conference will be in the playoff hunt until march.
I think your premise would be awesome... but Regier/Ruff would have to be fired before the deadline...

Because if this team is even within a sniff of 8th place/playoffs... they are not selling off assets for picks (even though they should). Making the playoffs is too important to Golly's bottom line.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

C'mon let's wait a couple weeks guys.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2010, 02:36 PM
rabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
I'll bet Golisano has lost 5-8 million every non playoff season. He will sell to ANYONE at some point.
Isn't that what we want?

The team isn't going anywhere, they've got a lease...

Old
11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
? FOR Sabre fans?

What exactly has Patrick Kaleta contributed to the 40 year history of this franchise?

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote