HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Boogaard Pro and Con

Old
11-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Derek Boogaard Pro and Con

This summer the Rangers tried very hard to resign enforcer Jody Shelley who eventually signed the Colton Orr contract with the Flyers. Moments after losing Shelley the Rangers were informed that Boogaard would be leaving the wild and that the Oilers and Flames were looking for his services. Glen Sather without hesitation jumped into the negotiations and landed the Giant warrior he wanted at a price many were shocked at.

Flash forward to training camp. Torts is known for having one of the hardest most demanding camps in the NHL. Right off the bat Boogaard was singled out by the NY Media for being behind and not able to keep the pace in the demanding on ice portion of the camp. Torts and crew went out of their way to make sure Derek would not fight in camp by placing Randy McNaught the only other giant heavyweight in camp on Boogaards right wing. I am not saying he should have fought in camp but most NHL enforcers do have a scrap or two to help with their timing and techniques. During the preseason portion of camp Derek played in the games vs the Devils and right off the bat showed the fans and teammates that lots of players were scared of him and not wanting to fight him. Leblond and Clarkson both ran from the Boogy man multiple times and at one point in the NJ game at the Rock Boogy punched both Clarkson and LLL dead in the face and wanted to fight and Clarkson skated away screaming no way no way. Rangers fans figured wow we have the monster of the NHL. The next few games Boogy scored a goal had a assist and looked like the bad experiences at camp were behind him. Then comes the Ottawa game and something strange happened Chris Neil was being the normal ***** he always is and knowing it pre seaon Boogy has basically a free shot to drop the gloves and pound him. Derek instead takes a 5 minute major for a weak ass spear.Why in the world would he spear the much smaller Neil ? Boogy could have taken a 2-5-10 package stayed in the game and made a point but instead he took the stupid way out. Preseason ends and no fights for the feared Boogy man.

The Rangers open in Buffalo and their is no one on the Roster for the boogy man to fight but he does play a solid game and looks ok in his limited ice time. The next game is vs the hated ISlanders and right in opening warm ups the Islanders are playing the role of bully and Konopka is baiting Avery and Dubi at center ice while Gillies is standing challenging everyone to fight. Where is the Boogy man? skating around uninvolved that's where. The game starts and Boogy Boyle and Prust come out flying and Boogy has 2 great chances but doesn't score. The coach gives him maybe 3 more shifts the rest of the game and no fights. Next game is home to the Leafs and the anticipated fight with Colton Orr. Orr is knocked out the game before and is not looking for trouble but Boogaard tried to goat him into one but Orr will not fight and Boogy ends up getting a asst. on a Boyle goal. Rangers lose and Boogy ends up 5 minutes and 8 shifts no fights once again. The Rangers rallied late and lost in OT. Boogy honored the enforcers code and didn't force the issue with the non 100% Orr. The next game is vs the Aves and with no enforcer this was the game to sit him but Torts plays him I am thinking as a reward for the decent game vs the leafs. No fights and nothing great from Boogy.

Oct 21 2010
The second game of the year VS Orr and the Leafs. Orr gets the jump on Boogy by throwing the gloves off and fighting b4 Boogy is set to fight, This is a horrible job of enforcing by Boogy. He didn't lose this fight at all but he didn't look ready or set to go either. The guy is making 1.6 million to enforce do the task big man.

Oct 23 Boston.
Rangers and Bruins come out banging and this one gets nasty quick with 3 fights in the game. Boogaard once again is caught off guard by Thornton and doesn't look ready for the fight and he looked uninterested during this one. Yes Thornton looked to fight the prefect technical fight and tied up the much bigger Boogaard but once again he was caught off guard and looked almost annoyed that he had to fight.
NJ ,Atlanta and Canes are up next and he doesn't do anything to stand out either positive or negative and he gets his 5 minutes a game. The Atlanta game Thorburn runs the Rangers goalie and Boogy is on the ice. Here we go the Boogy man is going to pound the crap out of him for the crime he committed against Biron but wait instead we get the stare and talking crap. Boogy stares him down and heads to the bench , Once again he fails to enforce or earn his 1.6.

Toronto for the third time this season !!!! this has to be the dream fight right ?????? Orr says no in game one. Jumps Boogy in game 2 and now Hockey night in Canada is setting the stage for game 3.. A fast paced few minutes leads to mike brown pushing Derek and Orr skates right in and issues the challenge to Boogy here we go!!! nope lol he skates away and no fight. Later in the period Orr takes a liberty with a Ranger and Brandon Prust rushes in and face washes Orr and tries to fight him. Boogaard was on the ice and nothing. I heard the infection story also but if he can't fight don't dress him. I witnessed many guys with bad hands drop the gloves and they weren't making 1.6 million. Kocur , Probert Wells and many others fought with chop meat hands. Boogaard is letting his team down and not earning the money his getting paid and we are only 10 games into the season.

Ok here we go tonight Nov 1 the Hawks are in town and big Jon Scott the guy I begged the Rangers to sign is playing. He is 6ft 8 and can play dfense or wing. He is a monster fighter and can play. The 1.6 million dollar man is a lock to fight him this is great ! but wait boogy is scratched. Now i am sure 99% of you think I am going to rip Torts for this but no way in hell. Torts is 100% right for benching loafing olf. I hope Derek takes this as a wake up call because to be scratched at home while the other team is dressing a enforcer is a embarrassment but not as much as he has been in his first 10 games as a Ranger. Get your head out of your fat wallet Derek and become the enforcer we paid for. Derek if you want to be a fat cat non fighter go one skating with the stars in Canada because I am losing faith in you 10 games in something is wrong.
Torts great job in sending a message tonight now it is up to you the boogy man to respond and snap the hell out of it and quick . The Rangers play the Flyers , Pens, Bruins and Oilers the rest of this month. These teams all have a bunch of fighting majors and the Oilers ride into town with McIntyre a beast of a man that is in many peoples eyes the king of the NHL fight game. Boogy can win back some fans by being ready and changing a few games with a big win or a huge hit but he needs to get off his wallet to do so let's hope he does it.

Last edited by Dagoon44: 11-01-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:22 AM
lbrowne

Good post man, I agree.

Every time I've seen him fight he seemed like he was gassed and wasn't able to get an upper hand. When he drops em, I want to see bodies dropped.

Plain and simple.

I was disappointed when he never got involved in the Isles pregame jarrin'.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Ail
k.

Seeing him fight isn't going to change my viewpoint about him. Call me biased, whatever, I don't care.

Prust is more effective in every aspect of the game. We don't need a guy who's only role is to fight other meatheads. Avery also sticks up for other teammates. In fact, a lot more players are sticking up for each other this year, even the new guy Eminger, whom I also dislike.

The only fight Boogaard is in now, is the battle with Frolov to see who the worst FA signing of the offseason will be. Once Gabby comes back, I have a feeling Boogaard will win by TKO.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 01:58 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I don't have too much of a problem with Boogaard himself, just the length of his contract and the fact that we have a glut of forwards and not a good slot for him to fill in when we need an enforcer.

We have 16 forwards:

Gaborik, Drury, Frolov, Prospal, White, Callahan, Avery, Dubinsky, Boogaard, Fedotenko, Christensen, Anisimov, Stepan, Grachev, Prust, Boyle

Which breaks down to:

7 Centers: Drury, Prospal, White, Christensen, Anisimov, Stepan, Boyle
4 Left Wings: Frolov, Avery, Dubinsky, Boogaard
5 Right Wings: Gaborik, Callahan, Fedotenko, Grachev, Prust

Likely, the first to go will be White and then Christensen. If Grachev plays well, can you justify sending him back to the Whalepack? Even if you do, that leaves an excess center that needs to be converted to Left Wing to play in Boogaard's spot, because with that lineup, who can you justify as a healthy scratch for Boogaard to play over? The candidates for this are likely Drury or Prospal. It's a very convoluted situation.

My best guess at a healthy lineup is:

Frolov - Prospal - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery - Stepan - Fedotenko
Drury - Boyle - Prust

How do you fit Boogaard into a lineup like that? Who can you scratch?

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 02:16 AM
TrollololBoyle

I love Boogaard, I don't care about the yearly money in the contract just the length of it.

I can't see him finishing out the contract with the Rangers, but at the same time I can't see anyone who would take a one-dimensional player with a skill that is almost useless. It's pointless having him in the press box just wasting a roster spot, but it is also pointless to have him play in the AHL. Why send him to the AHL just to fight? I could see the Exelbys and Orrs being sent to the AHL, but not the giants.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 03:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Prust fills his role as enforcer(albeit middle-weight) but can play the game defensively and help create goals on the forecheck.

Hopefully they send Boogaard to Hartford and bring up another scrappy forward like Prust for the lower lines instead of White.

I liked what little of Jeremy Williams we saw. Had some good speed, gritty, some skill, good defensively. Could fill in nicely on the 4th line as a catalyst for Stepan and Grachev. The way Prust is for Christensen and Frolov.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:01 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Brandon Prust >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Derek Boogaard

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Chimp

Hmm, let's see...

Pros
*Can fight other meatheads, which happens about 4 times a year, because most of them will back down anyway. And when they accept, they just hug Boogaard and hold on for dear life.
*Can occassionally land a big hit, which will usually result with him in the box for charging, because of some incompetent ref crying about his reputation.

Cons
*Can't play hockey. At all.
*Is ridiculously expensive for his role.
*Has a terrible contract overall.
*Is incredibly ineffective as an intimidation factor in the nju NHL. Unfortunately, glares and stares don't scare NHL players that much. Not even when the glares come from Boogie.

We all hoped $ather had finally learnt a lesson after the Huggybear disaster, but no. What a smart move it was to drop Orr. Not.

The team doesn't automatically become tougher, because you have a $1.6m goon on the 4th line. Team toughness comes from work ethics and team identity.

Last edited by Chimp: 11-02-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 05:15 AM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Hmm, let's see...

Pros
*Can fight other meatheads, which happens about 4 times a year, because most of them will back down anyway. And when they accept, they just hug Boogaard and hold on for dear life.
*Can occassionally land a big hit, which will usually result with him in the box for charging, because of some incompetent ref crying about his reputation.

Cons
*Can't play hockey. At all.
*Is ridiculously expensive for his role.
*Has a terrible contract overall.
*Is incredibly ineffective as an intimidation factor in the nju NHL. Unfortunately, glares and stares don't scare NHL players that much. Not even when the glares come from Boogie.

We all hoped $ather had finally learnt a lesson after the Huggybear disaster, but no. What a smart move it was to drop Orr. Not.

The team doesn't automatically become tougher, because you have a $1.6m goon on the 4th line. Team toughness comes from work ethics and team identity.
Agreed, nice post.
I see Boogaard type of enforcer more or less useless in NHL these days. Team is not to tough to play against if you have enforcer playing 4 minutes per game, what kind of impact it is?
Boogaard is just entertainment for a fans, who by mistake are visiting hockey instead of box.
I love what Prust, Chris Neil, Lucic brings to the table...tough guys who can drop the gloves and play 10+ minutes.
Boogaard will not play for Rangers next season, he will destroy people in AHL.
This team is lacking some hard hitting d-man, but they are fine without Boogaard...Prust, Avery and even Boyle(surprise of the year for me) are playing great.

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:10 AM
SomE

Don't bash Sather for the contract. We would have gotten similar money elsewhere but less years. Blame Gabby for the lenth as he encouraged the rangers to sign him for the rest of his own contract.

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Section311

I'm very curious to see whats happens this week vs the Flyers. With what happened last year and what just happened agaisnt the Islanders just the other day. These are the types of games where I feel you need someone like Boogaard.

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 07:20 AM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Don't bash Sather for the contract. We would have gotten similar money elsewhere but less years. Blame Gabby for the lenth as he encouraged the rangers to sign him for the rest of his own contract.
*boogaard would have gotten similar money elsewhere

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Rangers44*

Boogaard can't do anything except fight. You can't afford to waste a roster spot on players like Boogaard.

I see no pros

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:19 AM
asparkoflife

You're gonna see less and less heavyweights in the game over the next few years. You NEED to know how to play at least a little bit of hockey now. You're going to see a lot more middleweights in the next gen of hockey fighters. Guys like Prust, Carcillo, etc.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:27 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

wasted contract. period.

dude cant play. cant skate and cant take a regular shift. he makes colton orr look like guy lafleur.

like it or not, this is a guy who will likely play maybe 4 minutes when ever he dresses.

that my friends, is a huge waste.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Declan
HFB Partner

And we have another thread where all guys do is ***** about having an enforcer in hockey.

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Dagoon44

Guys Please if I can teach you anything about being a enforcer do not compare Prust to Boogaard. Prust is a hockey player that is a grinder and banger and in no way shape or form a heavyweight. This is not a bad thing as Prust is my favorite ranger and reminds me a lot of Kris King. Boogy equals fat cat lazy slob

Old
11-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Melrose_Jr.

How many times and ways can this be discussed? What's even left to say? Healthy scratch on a team decimated by injury and no one even notices. Hopefully, the only thing in his Ranger future is the Kotalik treatment.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Garv23

Yeah, I want so much to like this signing, but I just can't. I don't know what's going on in the big man's head, but he really just looks uninterested out there. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus yet though...

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Orr Nightmare

The point is...he is here for 4 years...Torts is to blame for his current status...I was at the Atlanta game and Torts never put him out there when Bolton was on the ice...

Everyone wants Rozy to be loved but we are ready to send this guy to hell after 10 games, with 3 minutes a game.

When the Rangers claimed Orr off waivers from Boston...everyone questioned the move and said he was the worst player in hockey...now, Orr is a god and Boogey is the worst player in hockey...every team in the east has a goon...u take him out of the lineup against the Islanders, Flyers and the like and watch what happens.

White, Drury and Prospal are the ones with no place on this team.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:12 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
are you saying you'd rather have boogaard on the roster than a healthy drury or prospal?

come on now

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Dagoon44

OrrNo one is a bigger fight fan then me and I have to disagree with you. Boogaard was on th eice with Neil and didn't fight him he speared him risking a suspention and more. He was on the ice with Thorburn and didn't fight him he talked to him. Boogy has had his chances to inforce and just hasn't done it.

Old
11-02-2010, 10:49 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

In the cap era you don't sign an enforcer (unless he can skate and play hockey) for more than the minimum.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:53 AM
eco's bones

When Orr showed up in New York he was a real project. He may have been the worst/slowest skater in the league. He's still not that great a skater/player but after a lot of work he's passable.

When the season is over Boyle should introduce his figure skating coach to Boogaard. Not only that but Derek needs to show up in better shape for next training camp. Two things like that could make a big difference.

For now we have what we have. I don't see Derek as an everyday player. I do see him being needed against certain teams--Philadelphia, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Ottawa and not against some others like Carolina, Florida, Buffalo, Montreal. I don't see Prust as a deterrent if Colton Orr or Chris Neil go on the warpath. Prust is very good but he's not going to be able to handle a number of guys in the east.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
The point is...he is here for 4 years...Torts is to blame for his current status...I was at the Atlanta game and Torts never put him out there when Bolton was on the ice...

Everyone wants Rozy to be loved but we are ready to send this guy to hell after 10 games, with 3 minutes a game.

When the Rangers claimed Orr off waivers from Boston...everyone questioned the move and said he was the worst player in hockey...now, Orr is a god and Boogey is the worst player in hockey...every team in the east has a goon...u take him out of the lineup against the Islanders, Flyers and the like and watch what happens.

No one said orr is a god. He is just a better overall player than Boogey and if you cant see that then im sorry. Same can be said with Shelley, both can play the game to some degree.....Boogey cannot and never has been able to.

And drury and prospal with no place on this team

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote