HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How MANY prospect will make the team next season?

View Poll Results: How MANY prospects will be able to make the team next season?
none 3 3.70%
1 prospect 7 8.64%
2 prospects 37 45.68%
3 prospects 28 34.57%
4 prospects 4 4.94%
more than 4 prospects 2 2.47%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2004, 07:07 PM
  #1
Mtl6
Registered User
 
Mtl6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
How MANY prospect will make the team next season?

Some people asked me to do this pool after doing the pool on Who would will be able to make the team next season So there you go!!!

Personnaly I think 2 players

Mtl6 is offline  
Old
06-12-2004, 07:21 PM
  #2
Boutmania
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Dude, where's my home...
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
I would say two...

And that's gotta be Hossa and Hainsey. I wouldn't mind seeing Plekanec getting called up in the season like Komisarek this year.

Boutmania is offline  
Old
06-12-2004, 07:47 PM
  #3
tiredman
Registered User
 
tiredman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ville de Québec
Country:
Posts: 4,972
vCash: 500
3 : hainsey, hossa, plekanec

tiredman is offline  
Old
06-12-2004, 07:48 PM
  #4
Malakhov
Registered User
 
Malakhov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Hainsey and Hossa have to make the team or be traded or they will have to go through waivers right?

I'm saying both are gonna play for the Habs next season.

Malakhov is offline  
Old
06-12-2004, 08:32 PM
  #5
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
I voted 3.

My thinking is that Hainsey will take Q's spot.

Hossa will be there and will take the spot Dackell has left vacant.

And Plekanec will take the spot Juneau left.

If Perreault and Kovy are gone and Kats and Perezhogin have good camps who knows?

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
06-12-2004, 09:27 PM
  #6
SuperUnknown
Registered User
 
SuperUnknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,515
vCash: 500
I'm thinking three.

I see Plekanec sticking for sure (he almost did last year, Julien likes him a lot). Hossa will probably stick with the team just because they won't want to put him on waivers. If he has a good camp, I think Higgins will make the team also.

If one of those can't make it, I'd say there are chances Hainsey or Beauchemin make the team. Other outside chances are Perezhogin and Kastsytsin.

SuperUnknown is offline  
Old
06-12-2004, 09:41 PM
  #7
CH Wizard
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: preparin for 09 cup
Country: Afghanistan
Posts: 11,690
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Hainsey and Hossa have to make the team or be traded or they will have to go through waivers right?

I'm saying both are gonna play for the Habs next season.
totally agree

CH Wizard is offline  
Old
06-12-2004, 10:04 PM
  #8
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,105
vCash: 500
Two:
Plekanec for sure, and one of Hainsey or Hossa
.............. I have a feeling one of them (or both) will be traded

Kafka is offline  
Old
06-12-2004, 10:06 PM
  #9
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Hainsey and Hossa have to make the team or be traded or they will have to go through waivers right?

I'm saying both are gonna play for the Habs next season.
At 22, none of them have to go through the waivers this season... if I remember correctly, a player that hasn't played 40 NHL games doesn't have to be protected untill he is 24, but I would like this to be second by someone else please.


Last edited by Kafka: 06-13-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Kafka is offline  
Old
06-12-2004, 10:22 PM
  #10
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
At 22, none of them have to go through the waivers this season... if I remember correctly, the protection list for a player not having played 40 NHL games is 24 but I would like this to be second by someone else please.

Hainsey and Hossa do not have to be protected in the waiver draft, but if sent down to the AHL at any time, they will have to go through waivers.

montreal is offline  
Old
06-12-2004, 11:14 PM
  #11
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Too soon to answer that... Too much questions without reponse...

How much FA will Gainey sign? Will Gainey trade this summer? When will the next season start?

At the moment, I think that Plekanec, Perezhogin, Hossa, Beauchemin and Higgins are all NHL ready, we could be surprised! Just wait and see.

NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 01:03 AM
  #12
L'abstrait
Registered User
 
L'abstrait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St-Henri
Country: Qatar
Posts: 2,109
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
None, I have a bad feeling that there will be no hockey next year.....(in the nhl)

L'abstrait is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 03:21 AM
  #13
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I voted 3.

My thinking is that Hainsey will take Q's spot.

Hossa will be there and will take the spot Dackell has left vacant.

And Plekanec will take the spot Juneau left.

If Perreault and Kovy are gone and Kats and Perezhogin have good camps who knows?
Quintals spot was taken by Komisarek, when Stephane was hurt in playoffs.

You really think we will have two rookies Hossa and Plekanec in same line checking top opposition lines? Scary thought.

Unless you're talking 05/06 season Perezhogin is playing in Russia, remember hes suspended.

---

Hossa (2nd line, Zednik on the other side) and Hainsey (splitting time or 3rd pairing with Bouillon) have to be there. I would tend to agree with Plekanec, whom I'd expect starting in 4th line center (Begin and Ward on his wings) with little bit PK time. Higgins would be the next one, he will get 15-20 games, but wont be regular.

Marksman is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 04:20 AM
  #14
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2

Unless you're talking 05/06 season Perezhogin is playing in Russia, remember hes suspended.


No, it's only being discussed as a plan. First, the IIHF has to allow Alex to play in any Euro league. They already said it shouldn't be a problem, but they still have to have an official vote. (it's in their bylaws, that a suspended player has to go before the IIHF council, but given that he has a clean record, they said he should be allowed to play) 2nd, the Habs are trying to secure a spot for Alex to play, but based on the fact that he can come back if he's allowed to play in the NHL (whenever that would be based on what the NHL decides and if there's a season to come back to) Now you have to think, what would make a team in Russia take Perezhogin on their roster, only to have him possibily yanked away whenever the Habs feel like taking him. Yes it would seem that Omsk would be the likely choice since Alex did well in his year + there, but I don't know how keen they would be on losing him at a certain point during the season.

Also, from what I understand, the Habs are willing to appeal any NHL suspension, if he gets one. Colin Campbell has said he doesn't know if they can hold Alex out of the NHL legally, and that it would have to be reviewed this summer.

And, the Hamilton police have not yet decieded if they will charge Alex or not, so if he's charged, he won't be allowed to leave Canada I would think.

Right now we still have no idea what will happen to Alex, but it's looking like Russia is a strong chance he'll play there, but it hasn't been cleared or set in stone. The Russian Federation can be difficult to work with, so for now, we'll just have to see what happens.

montreal is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 12:34 PM
  #15
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Quintals spot was taken by Komisarek, when Stephane was hurt in playoffs.

You really think we will have two rookies Hossa and Plekanec in same line checking top opposition lines? Scary thought.

Unless you're talking 05/06 season Perezhogin is playing in Russia, remember hes suspended.

---

Hossa (2nd line, Zednik on the other side) and Hainsey (splitting time or 3rd pairing with Bouillon) have to be there. I would tend to agree with Plekanec, whom I'd expect starting in 4th line center (Begin and Ward on his wings) with little bit PK time. Higgins would be the next one, he will get 15-20 games, but wont be regular.
My thoughts aren't that Hossa and Plekanec will be playing together, it is that there are 2 spots available on the roster for them to play on. I would see Hossa with Riberio and Ryder and Plekanec with Begin and Ward or Bulis.

Komisarek did take Q's spot on the ice, but it would allow Hainsey to be on the roster if Q's isn't re-signed.

I would much rather bring in the kids now, we have so many developing at the same time with high skill and good play that they all can't come in together. The Habs need to insert these kids a couple at a time or we are going to have a ton of prospects in Hamilton waiting to play in the NHL. That would hamper their development.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 12:37 PM
  #16
AJ1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
You've got a deep prospect pool, guys like Higgs, Hainsey, Plekanec and crew all have a shot at sticking with big club at the beginning of the season. How long they stay up there is another question.

AJ1982 is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 12:46 PM
  #17
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,105
vCash: 500
With Souray-Markov-Bouillon on the left side, there is absolutely no place left for Hainsey. A young player like him has to play. For that purpose, since Colombus looked interested in him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave there. I don't expect them to give the fourth overall in a package for habs first + Hainsey + something else, but still think Hainsey would have a place there.

Kafka is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 02:14 PM
  #18
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982
You've got a deep prospect pool, guys like Higgs, Hainsey, Plekanec and crew all have a shot at sticking with big club at the beginning of the season. How long they stay up there is another question.

I think it's the other way around. I don't see too many making the big club out of camp, but Higgins, Plekanec, Beauchemin should see some time as the season goes on, but it's just a guess for now. There might not even be a training camp, as the NHL may lock players out of camp which would suck.

Hossa and Hainsey I think will get a shot at the start of the season, after that it's up to them to prove they belong.

I just hope one of the prospects can land the 2nd line LW spot, cause I don't want to see Dags there.

montreal is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 02:42 PM
  #19
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I think it's the other way around. I don't see too many making the big club out of camp, but Higgins, Plekanec, Beauchemin should see some time as the season goes on, but it's just a guess for now. There might not even be a training camp, as the NHL may lock players out of camp which would suck.

Hossa and Hainsey I think will get a shot at the start of the season, after that it's up to them to prove they belong.

I just hope one of the prospects can land the 2nd line LW spot, cause I don't want to see Dags there.
Apparently there are some questions about the work ethic of Hossa, Hainsey and Perezhogin (the same old questions for Hossa and Hainsey). They will have to work their ***** off this summer and in camp. They could still make the team, but would see significant pressbox time if they don't work. Maybe they think they're being unfairly treated? In that case, I have some tapes to show them.

Higgins could easily make the team on the 3rd or 4th line. He didn't look out of place in his audition and was clearly a better player than Plekanec during the rookie camp in 2002. I don't know how they compared in Hamilton, I think they had a similar number of points, but numbers aren't everything. Plekanec looked soft every time I've seen him and Higgins looked like a young Peca. I would lean towards Higgins here, unless they have bigger plans for him and want him to get more time on an offensive line in Hamilton.

Beauchemin is not better than Bouillon and not nearly as talented as Hainsey. He gets a lot of rave reviews for anchoring the defense in Hamilton last year though. In the two games I saw him play, he looked like an undersized guy who reads plays poorly and isn't a good enough skater to make up for it.

Kastitsyn, I assume, will need at least a year in Hamilton unless he just outright wins a job. But there's no rush. From what I understand his problem in Russia is with the coach, so maybe he is ready to take it to the next level and they're just holding him back in Russia because that's what they do with guys who are headed to the NHL. I think he made a bad choice not coming to North America last year.

Who else?

Milroy could be this year's Ryder, but I wouldn't hold my breath. He reminds me of Jason Ward in that he has nice hands and some spunk, but no feet.

There could be plenty of job openings if we have injuries as well and there's no guaranteeing Ryder or even Ribeiro will be able to duplicate last year. Or even Komisarek for that matter.

tinyzombies is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 06:04 PM
  #20
Disco Volante
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 2nd to FloydianSlip
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
With Souray-Markov-Bouillon on the left side, there is absolutely no place left for Hainsey. A young player like him has to play. For that purpose, since Colombus looked interested in him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave there. I don't expect them to give the fourth overall in a package for habs first + Hainsey + something else, but still think Hainsey would have a place there.
If this team trades Hainsey because Bouillon is filling his spot on the left side...

It's not like we'll win the cup next year (if there is hockey), Hainsey has a bright future ahead, we must keep him unless a very nice trade opportunity comes up. Nobody wants to be stuck with a player of Bouillon's caliber when we do make a run.

Disco Volante is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 08:30 PM
  #21
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Apparently there are some questions about the work ethic of Hossa, Hainsey and Perezhogin (the same old questions for Hossa and Hainsey). They will have to work their ***** off this summer and in camp. They could still make the team, but would see significant pressbox time if they don't work. Maybe they think they're being unfairly treated? In that case, I have some tapes to show them.

Higgins could easily make the team on the 3rd or 4th line. He didn't look out of place in his audition and was clearly a better player than Plekanec during the rookie camp in 2002. I don't know how they compared in Hamilton, I think they had a similar number of points, but numbers aren't everything. Plekanec looked soft every time I've seen him and Higgins looked like a young Peca. I would lean towards Higgins here, unless they have bigger plans for him and want him to get more time on an offensive line in Hamilton.

Beauchemin is not better than Bouillon and not nearly as talented as Hainsey. He gets a lot of rave reviews for anchoring the defense in Hamilton last year though. In the two games I saw him play, he looked like an undersized guy who reads plays poorly and isn't a good enough skater to make up for it.

Kastitsyn, I assume, will need at least a year in Hamilton unless he just outright wins a job. But there's no rush. From what I understand his problem in Russia is with the coach, so maybe he is ready to take it to the next level and they're just holding him back in Russia because that's what they do with guys who are headed to the NHL. I think he made a bad choice not coming to North America last year.

Who else?

Milroy could be this year's Ryder, but I wouldn't hold my breath. He reminds me of Jason Ward in that he has nice hands and some spunk, but no feet.

There could be plenty of job openings if we have injuries as well and there's no guaranteeing Ryder or even Ribeiro will be able to duplicate last year. Or even Komisarek for that matter.

Hainsey I don't think it's so much work ethic, but lack of smarts, imo.

Hossa I don't think it's so much work ethic, but no confidence or intensity

Perezhogin I've never heard of work ethic problems, only at one game I was at, Jarvis was calling for him to get moving on the backcheck, as he was not skating hard.

Higgins should see time with the Habs next year one way or another. I still think he could use some time in Hamilton, but I'd love to see him on the Habs full time.

Plekanec I don't think is soft at all, even at times a tad dirty, and he was the top scorer in Hamilton regular season and playoffs. I think he's one of our more underrated prospects, although his size is a concern, but I don't think it will be a major problem, he's fun to watch.

I don't agree on Beauchemin, I think he's around the level of Bouillon, with more offensive ability. I am a big fan of his, and I never understood why he got only 1 game with the Habs. I don't think he's undersize at all, as he's sort of thick (205-210) and will take the body often. He's got a nice shot and moves the puck well, and I also don't think he is a bad skater. I do agree his weakness is reading the plays, but he seems to have improved on this over the last 2 years. He's not as skilled as Hainsey though, I agree, I think he's smarter and works harder. I really hope he gets a shot next season, but I have my doubts.

Kastsitsyn could play in the NHL now, except for the fact that he seems to have no clue how to handle the defensive game. I personally can't see him on the Habs at the start of the year, but if he's signed, I would think he'll see some time with the Habs at some point next year.

I hope your not saying Milroy skates like Ward. Milroy needs some work on his foot speed and skating, but Ward is one of the worst skaters I've seen in the AHL. He improved a lot (and is still a bad skater) but he used to look like he was skating in cement. Milroy is not a very good skater, but he's far ahead of Ward when he was 20. I don't think he'll be a Ryder next year, but hopefully he has a lot more success. I am a big fan of his since, and this year was a disappointment, but hopefully he works hard this summer.

montreal is offline  
Old
06-13-2004, 09:48 PM
  #22
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Hainsey I don't think it's so much work ethic, but lack of smarts, imo.

Hossa I don't think it's so much work ethic, but no confidence or intensity

Perezhogin I've never heard of work ethic problems, only at one game I was at, Jarvis was calling for him to get moving on the backcheck, as he was not skating hard.

Higgins should see time with the Habs next year one way or another. I still think he could use some time in Hamilton, but I'd love to see him on the Habs full time.

Plekanec I don't think is soft at all, even at times a tad dirty, and he was the top scorer in Hamilton regular season and playoffs. I think he's one of our more underrated prospects, although his size is a concern, but I don't think it will be a major problem, he's fun to watch.

I don't agree on Beauchemin, I think he's around the level of Bouillon, with more offensive ability. I am a big fan of his, and I never understood why he got only 1 game with the Habs. I don't think he's undersize at all, as he's sort of thick (205-210) and will take the body often. He's got a nice shot and moves the puck well, and I also don't think he is a bad skater. I do agree his weakness is reading the plays, but he seems to have improved on this over the last 2 years. He's not as skilled as Hainsey though, I agree, I think he's smarter and works harder. I really hope he gets a shot next season, but I have my doubts.

Kastsitsyn could play in the NHL now, except for the fact that he seems to have no clue how to handle the defensive game. I personally can't see him on the Habs at the start of the year, but if he's signed, I would think he'll see some time with the Habs at some point next year.

I hope your not saying Milroy skates like Ward. Milroy needs some work on his foot speed and skating, but Ward is one of the worst skaters I've seen in the AHL. He improved a lot (and is still a bad skater) but he used to look like he was skating in cement. Milroy is not a very good skater, but he's far ahead of Ward when he was 20. I don't think he'll be a Ryder next year, but hopefully he has a lot more success. I am a big fan of his since, and this year was a disappointment, but hopefully he works hard this summer.
I'll defer to your judgment because I haven't seen this guys much and I'm impatient for a Cup!

From the games I've seen of Hossa, he likes to dish the puck and let others do the work, but he does muck a bit on the boards, though he never gets much of a result. Probably a symptom of growing up with a brother who likes to carry the puck. He doesn't use the weapons he possesses, so maybe he's just a late bloomer.

Hainsey also seems to lack a work ethic to me. Maybe he is just young also and is still growing (weight and muscles) and getting used to his body.

Plekanec hasn't impressed me much, but I didn't see his progression this year. He seemed small to me and was easily pushed around. Higgins was clearly the better player when I saw them both at training camp and Higgins also seemed to be gliding a bit. Pleks hands were just as impressive up close. Higgins, Pleks, Milroy and Himelfarb all had a nice set of hands the day I went. Not my kind of player I guess, but I'm impatient and I want a Cup!

I thought Beauchemin was 185. He certainly didn't look like he was that rugged in the games I saw. He is definitely a battler and worker and has some nice hands, but his skating didn't seem extraordinary, though it was good. I don't like him. I want us to have a top notch defense. I want a Cup!

Milroy looked like a floater and a bad skater the time I went. He seemed to want to create a lot one-on-one, which won't fly at the NHL level with those poor feet of his.

I like the character in the guys with little talent and I like the skills on the guys with no character. But I'm not overly impressed with what we have on the whole, though all of these guys except Higgins (I haven't seen Kastitsyn or Perezhogin yet but like what I hear) were late rounders or Houles.

I think if we're lucky we eventually get a first liner (Kastitsyn), a second liner (Perezhogin) and probably a checking liner (Higgins). I think Hainsey will stick on the third pairing too, though we might have to give him Rivet to steady him and set a physical example (if they let him).

Hopefully at least one or two of these other guys can cut the mustard and with the development of Komisarek and Souray/Markov, we might have a contender if we sign Kovalev and perhaps a couple more guys. This has to happen quickly... Koivu and Kovalev aren't going to be around forever.

I like Savard and Timmons though and am happy we're headed in the right direction. I just don't know if we can get to the Cup in time for Koivu and Kovalev.


Last edited by tinyzombies: 06-13-2004 at 10:06 PM.
tinyzombies is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 06:54 PM
  #23
perezhoginthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
I think that it would be like 2 new prospects...

perezhoginthebest is offline  
Old
06-14-2004, 07:41 PM
  #24
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I'll defer to your judgment because I haven't seen this guys much and I'm impatient for a Cup!

From the games I've seen of Hossa, he likes to dish the puck and let others do the work, but he does muck a bit on the boards, though he never gets much of a result. Probably a symptom of growing up with a brother who likes to carry the puck. He doesn't use the weapons he possesses, so maybe he's just a late bloomer.

Hainsey also seems to lack a work ethic to me. Maybe he is just young also and is still growing (weight and muscles) and getting used to his body.

Plekanec hasn't impressed me much, but I didn't see his progression this year. He seemed small to me and was easily pushed around. Higgins was clearly the better player when I saw them both at training camp and Higgins also seemed to be gliding a bit. Pleks hands were just as impressive up close. Higgins, Pleks, Milroy and Himelfarb all had a nice set of hands the day I went. Not my kind of player I guess, but I'm impatient and I want a Cup!

I thought Beauchemin was 185. He certainly didn't look like he was that rugged in the games I saw. He is definitely a battler and worker and has some nice hands, but his skating didn't seem extraordinary, though it was good. I don't like him. I want us to have a top notch defense. I want a Cup!

Milroy looked like a floater and a bad skater the time I went. He seemed to want to create a lot one-on-one, which won't fly at the NHL level with those poor feet of his.

I like the character in the guys with little talent and I like the skills on the guys with no character. But I'm not overly impressed with what we have on the whole, though all of these guys except Higgins (I haven't seen Kastitsyn or Perezhogin yet but like what I hear) were late rounders or Houles.

I think if we're lucky we eventually get a first liner (Kastitsyn), a second liner (Perezhogin) and probably a checking liner (Higgins). I think Hainsey will stick on the third pairing too, though we might have to give him Rivet to steady him and set a physical example (if they let him).

Hopefully at least one or two of these other guys can cut the mustard and with the development of Komisarek and Souray/Markov, we might have a contender if we sign Kovalev and perhaps a couple more guys. This has to happen quickly... Koivu and Kovalev aren't going to be around forever.

I like Savard and Timmons though and am happy we're headed in the right direction. I just don't know if we can get to the Cup in time for Koivu and Kovalev.

Wow, your comments are kind of hard to follow, I'm not putting you down, just some of them don't make sense. One think I do understand is that you want the cup! (who doesnt', eh?)

I think you nailed it with Hossa. Looks to dish the puck quickly. I don't see it as work ethic problem, but a lack of confidence. Why not a work ethic problem? cause I've seen him backchecking hard and as you say mucking it up some along the boards. Your right he doesn't use his talents he has, I agree 100% there.

Hainsey it could be that he doesn't want to work hard, I don't agree, but I really don't know what the problem is. With the mental errors he makes in his own end, I think it's more of a lack of smarts, but I could easily be wrong. Either way, from what I saw of Hainsey and Hossa this year, it was hard to be impressed or excited, and even harder to picture them in the NHL next year with the Habs. But a solid camp could change everthing.

Plekanec is small, but thick, and he does get knocked off the puck, as he gets stronger he will improve in this area. I think that Higgins is more skilled, and that Higgins does glide often, it's a part of his game. At Yale I noticed he would hover in his own end, and doing this he wasn't wasting a lot of energy and with his speed/skating he could cover a lot of ground if need be. I have been very impressed with Higgins since day 1. Higgins Pleks and Milroy all have good hands, Milroy especially has a great wrist shot of the 3.

Beauchemin is over 200 I'd say, 3 of the Hamilton games I was at, I was sitting right behind the bench and got a good look at all of them. He was playing with Komisarek in some of the games, and later in the year with Hainsey. He seemed to play an intense game, and while not as physical that's a good thing for him. If you remember back, Beauchemin spent a brief time in the ECHL, and one reason was because he was always going for a big hit, often putting himself out of position. He was told to work on this, and he has, he's learned to hold back, yet he can still dish them out, just not as often. I'm fine with that if he plays well in his own end. His skating is solid, not Hainsey good, but solid. I really liked how he isn't afraid to shoot the puck, he will fire the puck often, and in the games I was at and on tv, he did a good job of getting them on net.

Milroy is a little harder to gauge with his limited ice time. Early in the year when I saw him he didn't play much, and when he did he looked very tenative, didn't create much at all. Later in the year though he looked more confident and was even getting some chances. Wish I had seen the playoff games, to see if he was even better or just on the lucky side. One thing I noticed about him in juniors was that he was often in the right place at the right time, as he really seems to understand the game well. I always had a conern with him having problems scoring early in the season. While it's great that he turns it on in the playoffs, it was still a concern, imo. As for his skating, it's not that bad at all, but needs some work. What he really needs is to improve his foot speed, he's not slow but doesn't have an extra gear, and some work on his foot speed will help him a lot, imo.

As for the guys as a whole, it's not about what we see from them now, but what they do in 2-5 years from now. Not all of them will make, in fact most likely most of them will not do much, but then again, there's always guys that go unnoticed and then down the road find their game. A guy like Shasby or Archer come to mind, but I've been pulling for Shasby since his junior season at AAU.

montreal is offline  
Old
06-15-2004, 08:10 AM
  #25
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,419
vCash: 500
To start the year, I would imagine two. Hainsey, as long as he screws his head on right , and maybe Hossa. If Hossa can't cut it, I could see Higgins or Pleks taking that spot. During the year, I would imagine at one time or another you would see at least 4 prospects given time in Montreal......Hainsey, Hossa, Plekanec and Higgins.

Of course, this is all assuming there is hockey next year. In reality, I think we will see a 40 game schedule, with alot of teams saving their prospects from the crazy schedule and leaving them in the minors and signing alot of vets to one year deals.

Darz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.